Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2014, 05:18   #1
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,975
Thanked: 16,772 Times
Default ASEAN NCAP results? Star Ratings / AOP figures / Analysis of a bigger picture?

We have had some interesting NCAP threads in the recent past here on team bhp. While they have provided a lot of information - one thing was quite evident. No one seemed to be quite so sure about the grading system of the NCAP - including me who ended up quite confused.

Of course, there is no denying the fact that crash test ratings are a worthy source for comparing the safety standards of various cars - but I consider them more as a guideline, rather than a strict rule regarding safety standards. While we wait for a facility to open for the Indian market, ASEAN crash test figures are the most relevant source of information available to us.

The non-enthusiasts are not even aware that there is an NCAP rating system in place. The enthusiasts know the star ratings of most common cars in the market. Some go a step further and find out the actual points scored by these cars on the Adult Occupant Protection. Recent debates on 'highest scores' achieved by the Honda City sparked a lot of debates. The main conclusions drawn by many people on the threads were that 'a 3 star car is safer than a 4 star', or 'a 15.8 AOP points for the City means its safer than 14.51 for Vento or even a 15.73 for the Fiesta.

Really? Or is there a bigger picture behind these numbers?

The data given out by NCAP

Of course there are crash test videos available for every car tested and almost everyone here would be aware of the test procedures - but there is limited data available on the grading system. What we get are the following details from the NCAP on the test results.
  • 1. Model Name.
  • 2. Date Tested.
  • 3. Vehicle specifications including availability of safety features - like airbags.
  • 4. AOP star rating.
  • 5. COP (Child Occupant Protection) complaint percentage, and the detailed specifications for COP test.
  • 6. A graphical representation of the crash impact on the human body - as shown below.

Name:  Figure1_graph.jpg
Views: 8904
Size:  79.0 KB

Adult Occupant Protection

The factors which affect the overall crash test safety ratings of a car are -
  • 1. Adult Occupant Protection.
  • 2. Child Occupant Protection.
  • 3. Pedestrian Protection.
  • 4. Safety Assist Features.

Since AOP is the figure most of us are interested in, lets begin here.

If you noticed, there are 16 areas in the human body that are considered for the tests here. 9 on the driver and 7 on the front passenger. The protection provided for adults for each body region are presented visually, using coloured segments. As shown in the graph - green stands for good, yellow for adequate, orange for marginal, brown for weak and red for poor. As far as i know, we do not have the actual values from NCAP for every car tested, hence we can only take an approximation for these figures. For example, a car that received 2.670 points for head area will be marked in yellow just along with a car that received 3.999.

The complexity doesn't end here. The body regions are again grouped into 4 -
  • 1. Head and neck
  • 2. Chest
  • 3. Knee, Femur, Pelvis
  • 4. Leg and Foot

How do they arrive at the final AOP figure?
  • 1. Body score from each region is the score of the worst performing segment.
  • 2. The lower of the scores from driver and passenger are consider for each body region.
  • 3. AOP protection is the sum total of the scores from these body regions.

Stars are calculating based on the body rating. Other factors also come into play - specifically, electronic stability program and electronic aids like seat belt reminders, without which a car will not be awarded a full five stars.

For example, lets do a rough analysis on the figure above -

Name:  Figure1_graph.jpg
Views: 8904
Size:  79.0 KB

Suzuki Swift - 13.32

Head scores a maximum of 4 points (green), chest has 'adequate' protection which scores anything between 2.670 to 3.999 which we shall approximate to 3, Femur scores a maximum again, while leg scores only 'marginal' protection of 2 points. (Remember its the lower value between driver and co-passenger)

Thats a 4 + 3 + 4 + 2 = 13 approx.

Indica Vista - 9.24

Name:  Figure2_Vista.jpg
Views: 8413
Size:  70.9 KB

Head (4) + Chest (2 - driver) + Femur (3 - passenger) + Foot (1 - driver). Thats 4+ 2+ 3 + 1 = 10 approx.


Hyundai i10 (Old) - 7.31

Thats 4 (head) + 3 (chest) + 0 (femur) + 0 (foot - driver) = 7 approx.

Name:  Figure2_i10.jpg
Views: 8410
Size:  61.2 KB



Star Rating

Below are the criteria for the different stars received by different cars -

1. 0 - 1.99 - 0 stars.
2. 2 - 4.99 / life threatening injury irrespective of total points scored - 1 star.
3. 5 - 7.99 - 2 stars.
4. 8 - 10.99 - 3 stars.
5. 11 - 13.99 - 4 stars.
6. 14 - 16 + Electronic stability control + Seat belt reminder for both front seats - 5 stars.



Analyzing the data provided by NCAP - beyond the numbers.

Case 1: The contrast between the figures and the graphs

For the sake of study, lets take the case of the Honda City v/s Swift.

Name:  City_swift.jpg
Views: 8850
Size:  165.1 KB

If you see the absolute figures, the new City just thrashes the Swift in terms of safety. 15.8 v/s 13.32 is a big difference indeed in NCAP terms. But is the difference really all that different?

A closer look at the impact areas reveal a different story. The swift infact offers full green protection for the passenger - thats ahead of the City. For the driver, the chest area has 'adequate' protection which is similar to the city. But the real difference is in the left femur (driver)- where the swift just scores a 'marginal' against the City's green.

City - 4 (head) + 3 (chest) + 4 (femur) + 4 (foot) = 15 approx.
Swift - 4 (head) + 3 (chest) + 2 (femur - driver) + 4 (foot)= 13 approx.

So, Swift should protect your life just as good as the City, even better for the passenger. If you want to be chauffeur driven, but prefer the front passenger seat - Swift might just make more sense here, a factor not revealed by the absolute AOP figures. But, the driver will be left with some pain in the left knee for a few days. (Remember how accurate GTO was when his review complained of the left knee hitting the dashboard?)



Case 2: There's more to this data than the figures suggest?

This time, lets put the City against the Vento. 15.8 for the City against 14.51 for the Vento. Which one is safer? Or rather, is the Vento as unsafe as the figures suggest?

Name:  City_Vento.jpg
Views: 8455
Size:  163.2 KB

When you say safety - if its the head and the chest that comes to your mind first - the VW offers 'Green' safety for both, while the city is only adequate at the chest. Where the VW suffers is in providing only adequate protection for both femur and foot. So, a crash at 60kph will leave both the occupants of either cars with light impact - City will give it on the chest, while the VW will give it on the legs. Now tell me, is a 15.8 safer a lot more than a 14.51? IMO, the chest is more vital here, a factor that is not considered by the absolute figures. Hence, it becomes essential to compare the graphs as well as the points before drawing conclusions.

So why is the City rated higher? Feet has two different body regions and thus the vento loses points from two regions here, while city only loses one point for the chest, as an approximation.

City - 4 (head) + 3 (chest) + 4 (femur) + 4 (foot) = 15 approx.
Vento - 4 (head) + 4 (chest) + 3 (femur) + 3 (feet) = 14 approx.



Case 3: The fine print

This time, lets put the ASEAN results for the City, Vento and Fiesta in context with the Indian variants.

City loses 5 star status because of the absence of seat belt reminders for both driver and passenger. Not relevant to us since the Indian Version doesn't come with one either and also electronic stability control (ESC) is not present in our market. 4 stars for our market as well then.

Vento loses 5 stars because of the absence of ESC, but then - it is present on the 1.2 TSi in India. So, assuming the Indian version is having the same build qualities of the ASEAN version tested - the 1.2 TSi Vento offers 5 star safety in India.

Fiesta sold in India doesn't come with ESC, so it drops from the list of 5 star safety cars to a 4 star safety car in India.


All this - assuming the build quality to be equivalent to the ASEAN tested versions. I know that may not be the case, and I have already explained that in other NCAP threads - hence keeping the politics out of this thread.



Case 4: Accounting for higher speeds

Since it is legal even in India to travel at speeds higher than the NCAP tested 64 kmph, we can also think of such a scenario - lets say 80 kmph?

For ease of comparison - we put the earlier 3 rivals back in the game. The 4 star rated Indian versions (with equivalent ASEAN build) of the City (15.8), Fiesta (15.73) and Vento (14.51).

Name:  City_Vento_Fiesta.jpg
Views: 8861
Size:  172.6 KB

The yellows will turn amber/ brown. The greens might turn yellows. It cannot be predicted what the impact will be, what is almost certain is that the areas of impact provided here will likely be the ones to have a higher force at higher speeds.

That said - at yellow for the chest - the City is well in the safe zone at 60kmph. But at speeds of 80 / 100? The chest is aleady the weak (only) link in the City, and unfortunately one of the links on the human body. The same city that passed in higher colours at 60 might get closer to amber/ brown / red first among the other three when it comes to the chest? A red on the chest is a 1 star no matter what total points is acheived.

Vento and Fiesta will do the same as well - but at the same speeds as above - the highest impact will be on the legs. Amber/ Brown/ Red on the legs still may/ may not be life threatening yet.

Effect of dashboard design-

You can clearly see that the waterfall console of the Swift, and the dashboard mounted gearshift on the i10 are clearly costing them heavily (specially the i10) in the crash tests. It might not be such a bad idea to have those flat dashboard designs of yesteryears.


Modifiers

There are a few factors the crash test won't be able to account for. One such example is the way the passenger sits. For example, sitting with his knees in the straightforward position like the test the test dummy might acheive a green rating, but a bit sideways might be a yellow/ amber due to impact with the dashboard plastics.

To account for such cases, and to prevent multiple testing- NCAP uses modifiers. It essentially means that the published rating is less than the actual results from the test dummy to account for such possibilities. If you see the Vista report, it received a -1 modifier.




All said and done - I'm no expert in this field, nor a working professional. My understanding is only from online reading of article published by these safety organisations. I would love to be corrected so that I could learn more as well. Inviting your views.

Hope the topic is new/ useful to atleast a few. Hope we have deeper discussions into safety and crash tests than just qouting star ratings and AOP figures.


PS - All the cars qouted above are good in their respective segments, and have come a long way compared to their predecessors. No offence meant.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th October 2014 at 12:21. Reason: Editing as per request
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (58) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 17:51   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 22,612 Times
Default re: ASEAN NCAP results? Star Ratings / AOP figures / Analysis of a bigger picture?

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Indian Car Scene Section. Thanks for sharing!
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 18:12   #3
BHPian
 
maverick.munish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Shimla, Delhi
Posts: 72
Thanked: 29 Times
Default re: ASEAN NCAP results? Star Ratings / AOP figures / Analysis of a bigger picture?

This is quite a comprehensive analysis.However there still are further questions around child safety.

Why can't we enforce Euro standards for the same in India. Having a child restraint seat and ensuring that children below a certain height and age are not allowed on the front passenger seats.

Still a long way to go for Indian cars to even compete with their European counterparts.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd October 2014 at 15:58. Reason: Typos
maverick.munish is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 20:47   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,975
Thanked: 16,772 Times
Default

True. Forget India, the standards set by the Euro NCAP are not followed fully by ASEAN and Latin NCAPs as well- proactive braking for one example is becoming essential for 5 stars in the European market.

As a start- I hope we at least start with a facility equivalent to the ASEAN test facility. It would be good to have cars with ESP, airbags and seat belt restraints etc as standard, and moreover - prevent the dual standard mentality these manufacturers show towards our market.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 23:26   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: EU - Nordic
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 953 Times
Default re: ASEAN NCAP results? Star Ratings / AOP figures / Analysis of a bigger picture?

Interesting analysis. A few days back, I was comparing the Euro NCAP test results for Volvo V40 (sometimes branded as the safest car) with record scores in almost every area and Audi A3 with more modest claims.

The Volvo scores high on pedestrian safety (because it offers a pedestrian airbag as standard) and scores a perfect 100% on safety assists. The A3 scores "only" 86% on safety assists. This 14% difference in scores is because the A3 lost a single point (for "Speed limitation assistance") out of a possible 7 in the safety assists, whereas the Volvo scored 7/7 because it has the City Safety system as a standard feature. A similar system (Audi pre-sense front) can be added to the A3 as a paid option. I found a video of the Euro NCAP tests on the Volvo V40's City Safety system, where the system prevented low speed crashes. I could not find similar test video for A3, so I'm not sure if the system is as effective as the Volvo's.

For adult occupant protection, the Volvo's rating is "adequate" for the chest and femur for the driver and femur of the passenger and "good" in all other areas. The A3's rating is "adequate" for the chest of the driver and femur of the passenger and "good" in all other areas. The Volvo still scores higher than A3 (15.7 v/s 15.4). For the side impact with pole, the Volvo offers higher protection than A3 ("green" for all regions vs A3's "yellow" for chest). Overall, the Volvo has a marginally higher score (35 v/s 34 points) for adult occupant protection.

However, when it comes to child occupant protection, the A3 comprehensively outscores the Volvo V40 (42 v/s 35 points). In fact, when it comes to child occupant protection, a few other cars also score higher than the Volvo.

So, I was confused which car is safer for a family of 4 (2 adults + 2 children)? Volvo V40 or Audi A3?

Digging a little deeper, the details showed that the Volvo had weaker results than Audi in "Head acceleration" and "Chest Load" measurements in the child occupant protection tests. Further, the kids' dummies in the Volvo were placed in "Volvo branded" child seats, fixed in place using "adult seatbelts" whereas in the A3, the kids' dummies were placed in "Audi branded" child seats fixed in place using "ISOFIX anchorages and frame". So I was left wondering whether the higher score for the A3 was just down to better child seats.

Bottom line: NCAP results are confusing

Last edited by StarrySky : 1st October 2014 at 23:27.
StarrySky is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 01:38   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,192
Thanked: 4,254 Times
Default re: ASEAN NCAP results? Star Ratings / AOP figures / Analysis of a bigger picture?

Good Analysis there Crazy Driver. Appreciate the detailed effort. It is kind of baffling if the NCAP overall scores are skewed or flawed. Will study your analysis and the NCAP methodology and protocol in more detail soon.

However, since we sparked a debate on the other thread, there are 2 things that catch my eye which are incorrect facts in your analysis. They are:

1. The City does not have ESC in India for sure. But it is standard on all ASEAN variants. The test reports clearly states that at two places - One in the specs table, and the other in the results table. They have somehow marked it in red and that is what probably confused you. The 1 star penalty for City was for absence of passenger seat belt reminder. VW in India offers ESC only on the TSI-DSG variant.

2. The other point is that though you have generously assumed is the build quality to be the same for the ASEAN and Indian models for all cars, which is far from reality.

It is common knowledge by now that the City MT weighs about 1042 kgs here in India and the CVT weighs 1065 kgs, but the ASEAN variant tested was tipping just over 1100 kgs. So, definitely, Honda has skimped its car here.

The knowledge which is not so common or probably went unnoticed is that the ASEAN Vento weighs also 1180 kgs where as the Indian Vento weighs 1120 kgs. A difference that is identical to the Honda City. So, there should be no doubt that VW also skimped the Vento for India.

I know this last point is like a carry over of our last debate. But I think that we are still not in a position to count on the results of the other than Indian offerings in International Car Assessment programs.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 06:40   #7
BHPian
 
vibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 882
Thanked: 848 Times
Default re: ASEAN NCAP results? Star Ratings / AOP figures / Analysis of a bigger picture?

Good analysis Crazy driver. I firmly believe that there are some generalisations included in these certifications and ones personal needs may dictate something which is contrary to the overall ratings. I hope soon we get these tests in India too and hope that these will be done on all variants and not just the topmost, else we will have companies like Hyundai claim 5 star safety on all models. Just two days back I saw my friends i20 (without ABS or Airbags) sport the 5 star safety sticker and couldn't help but be amused how companies wrongly market their cars to the gullible masses. It would have been a slap on the face of Hyundai had Global NCAP also decided to test an Indian i20 without airbags and ABS.

I would also like to commend the fact that VW imediately introduced airbags in all Polo variants in India. So just with one test, Hatchback buyers in India suddenly got a car that has 4 star safety across its variant range.


Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

I know this last point is like a carry over of our last debate. But I think that we are still not in a position to count on the results of the other than Indian offerings in International Car Assessment programs.
I think that was the exact point which crazy driver was making in the other thread too. We need comprehensive test of India specific variants to reach a conclusion on comparative safety of the cars sold here. Till then those who feel safe inside the vault like feel and thud, let them do so. It is naive to quote international results and assume that Indian variants too are as safe.



Coming back to what crazydriver mentioned here, NCAP overall score being wrongly influenced by certain non critical point? I personally feel a car which affords more protection to head and chest, should be safer overall. So is that a possible chink in armour for NCAP or is there still more to it than meets eye?
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 07:05   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,975
Thanked: 16,772 Times
Default re: ASEAN NCAP results? Star Ratings / AOP figures / Analysis of a bigger picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Interesting analysis. A few days back, I was comparing the Euro NCAP test results for Volvo V40 (sometimes branded as the safest car) with record scores in almost every area and Audi A3 with more modest claims.

The Volvo scores high on pedestrian safety (because it offers a pedestrian airbag as standard) and scores a perfect 100% on safety assists. The A3 scores "only" 86% on safety assists. This 14% difference in scores is because the A3 lost a single point (for "Speed limitation assistance") out of a possible 7 in the safety assists, whereas the Volvo scored 7/7 because it has the City Safety system as a standard feature. A similar system (Audi pre-sense front) can be added to the A3 as a paid option. I found a video of the Euro NCAP tests on the Volvo V40's City Safety system, where the system prevented low speed crashes. I could not find similar test video for A3, so I'm not sure if the system is as effective as the Volvo's.

For adult occupant protection, the Volvo's rating is "adequate" for the chest and femur for the driver and femur of the passenger and "good" in all other areas. The A3's rating is "adequate" for the chest of the driver and femur of the passenger and "good" in all other areas. The Volvo still scores higher than A3 (15.7 v/s 15.4). For the side impact with pole, the Volvo offers higher protection than A3 ("green" for all regions vs A3's "yellow" for chest). Overall, the Volvo has a marginally higher score (35 v/s 34 points) for adult occupant protection.

However, when it comes to child occupant protection, the A3 comprehensively outscores the Volvo V40 (42 v/s 35 points). In fact, when it comes to child occupant protection, a few other cars also score higher than the Volvo.

So, I was confused which car is safer for a family of 4 (2 adults + 2 children)? Volvo V40 or Audi A3?

Digging a little deeper, the details showed that the Volvo had weaker results than Audi in "Head acceleration" and "Chest Load" measurements in the child occupant protection tests. Further, the kids' dummies in the Volvo were placed in "Volvo branded" child seats, fixed in place using "adult seatbelts" whereas in the A3, the kids' dummies were placed in "Audi branded" child seats fixed in place using "ISOFIX anchorages and frame". So I was left wondering whether the higher score for the A3 was just down to better child seats.

Bottom line: NCAP results are confusing


Welcome to the party. Thats exactly what I am talking about. There is no point comparing the absolute AOP and COP figures of cars. We need to get into a detailed analysis to check what really suits our requirements and our market. Thanks for the analysis.

If you see the points table for ASEAN NCAP, its quite baffling -

0% - Red.
.025% - 33.225% - Brown.
33.35% - 66.725% - Amber.
66.75% - 99.975% - Yellow.
100% - Red.

A car that scores 67.75% protection is marked yellow. A car that scores 99.975% protection which anyone would easily consider as 100% is marked as yellow - which makes it highly rather difficult to interpret the data. I hope someone can chip in with a way to find out the exact figures for these cars tested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Good Analysis there Crazy Driver. Appreciate the detailed effort. It is kind of baffling if the NCAP overall scores are skewed or flawed. Will study your analysis and the NCAP methodology and protocol in more detail soon.
Welcome. Should thank you for our good discussion the other day which helped a lot. Hoping to have more of such constructive debates.

I wouldn't call it flawed. But we need to consider it in more detail, because the tests themselves act only as guidelines more than anything else. As i have pointed out with a few examples above, there are cases where a car with a lower rating (Swift for example above) scores more when it comes to one particular area like passenger seat safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
However, since we sparked a debate on the other thread, there are 2 things that catch my eye which are incorrect facts in your analysis. They are:

1. The City does not have ESC in India for sure. But it is standard on all ASEAN variants. The test reports clearly states that at two places - One in the specs table, and the other in the results table. They have somehow marked it in red and that is what probably confused you. The 1 star penalty for City was for absence of passenger seat belt reminder. VW in India offers ESC only on the TSI-DSG variant.
Thanks for pointing it out. Yes, you are absolutely correct. ASEAN city does features Vehicle Stability Assist for all variants. Will request the mods to correct it.

I wonder why they marked it in red though, along with items that are absent! And yes, VW India offers ESC only on the TSi - DSG. There is no 1.2 manual variant on offer and hence I mentioned it as '1.2 TSi' in the report above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
2. The other point is that though you have generously assumed is the build quality to be the same for the ASEAN and Indian models for all cars, which is far from reality.

It is common knowledge by now that the City MT weighs about 1042 kgs here in India and the CVT weighs 1065 kgs, but the ASEAN variant tested was tipping just over 1100 kgs. So, definitely, Honda has skimped its car here.

The knowledge which is not so common or probably went unnoticed is that the ASEAN Vento weighs also 1180 kgs where as the Indian Vento weighs 1120 kgs. A difference that is identical to the Honda City. So, there should be no doubt that VW also skimped the Vento for India.

I know this last point is like a carry over of our last debate. But I think that we are still not in a position to count on the results of the other than Indian offerings in International Car Assessment programs.
Common knowledge? Wasn't this my points from our last discussion? The Honda City is definitely lighter for the Indian market even though we get more equipment.

But - I would also like to point out that you are wrong about the facts stated for the Vento here. VW Polo sedan in Malaysia is available only in one trim, which is the 1.6 petrol MPI that comes with a 6 speed torque converter gearbox - which is similar to the earlier petrol automatic option present in both the Vento and Rapid in India, before the 1.2 TSi came in. So you have been comparing an automatic to a manual version.

In India, the 1.6 MPi petrol weighs 1120 kgs for the trendline version, going up to 1130 kgs for the comfortable - all for manual transmission cars. 1.6 MPi petrol automatic is not available in the website anymore. However, Skoda still has the 1.6 MPi automatic version and you can verify yourself that it weighs 1180kgs.

I left the argument about weights for this thread because the other thread actively discusses it, so we can keep it more quantitative here.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 3rd October 2014 at 04:51. Reason: Extra smiley removed. :)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 07:51   #9
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sudev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,514
Thanked: 2,388 Times
Default re: ASEAN NCAP results? Star Ratings / AOP figures / Analysis of a bigger picture?

Thanks for great depth you have gone in to in helping us understand ratings.

Overall rating are for people in a hurry but seems like shortcuts and brand politics creep in.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 13:11   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Panjim, Goa
Posts: 362
Thanked: 156 Times
Default re: ASEAN NCAP results? Star Ratings / AOP figures / Analysis of a bigger picture?

Another thing to consider is that these ratings are not absolute- just because 2 cars have similar ratings does not mean they are equally safe. Euro NCAP tests are designed to simulate a car crashing into another vehicle of similar weight and structure (The 2 vehicles weighing withing 150 kg of each other). So the tests tell us what happens to the occupants if a Honda City crashes into another C segment car like City, Fiesta or Vento. Or when a Q7 crashes into a Range Rover or another Q7. The ratings are meaningful only while comparing cars within a segment. But if a higher rated C segment car like City or Fiesta crashed into a lower rated SUV like the previous generation Range Rover (4 star), the occupants of the C segment car are likely to incur more injuries than those in the SUV.

An an aside, interesting to note that the Smart fortwo, a super mini and the previous generation Range Rover, both have a 4 star rating. But if both these cars crashed into each other at 64 kmph, which car would you want to be in?
Astleviz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 16:08   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,192
Thanked: 4,254 Times
Default Re: ASEAN NCAP results? Star Ratings / AOP figures / Analysis of a bigger picture?

As they say, statistics and numbers can hide more than they reveal! As CrazyDriver stated that yellow (adequate) is marked from 67 to 99.5 percent of protection, which is indeed a very large range. So, a car which scores yellow at some body point might have just slipped a little from 100%. These tests are carried at 64kmph, and it may be a possibility that a car scores all green at 60 or 62 kmph but then at 64 kmph, many green points turn yellow. The other way round is also possible that a car shown as all green by NCAP results might turn yellow by a mere increment of 5kmph.

Now, being in the field of quantitative research and analytics, what we do to overcome this problem is to assign 'weights' to all parameters which are a part of testing. The weights are assigned on the basis of the importance that each parameter holds in the test. This reduces skewing. But still such conditions are not a rarity where skewness sets in. One extreme ranking/score, good or bad can lead to this problem despite application of weightages. This is where human judgment is called for.

I am yet to read the NCAP protocol (I have downloaded it) in detail so that I form an opinion on their methodology. I am sure that they will also be following some method to reduce this skewness. What I will be interested in knowing is that which are the points which lead to skewed final results, if they are indeed that way.

Meanwhile, thanks to Crazydriver for sparing so much time to read in depth about the tests and come up with the baffling question the thread asks.

Thanks,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 16:16   #12
BHPian
 
TheTeacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Space-Time
Posts: 480
Thanked: 319 Times
Default Re: ASEAN NCAP results? Star Ratings / AOP figures / Analysis of a bigger picture?

CD, thanks for starting this thread and for the analysis - much needed!!

Worth contacting Euro NCAP to understand their rating system? Maybe they can email you a white paper on the methodology used.
TheTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 17:53   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,192
Thanked: 4,254 Times
Default Re: ASEAN NCAP results? Star Ratings / AOP figures / Analysis of a bigger picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
CD, thanks for starting this thread and for the analysis - much needed!!

Worth contacting Euro NCAP to understand their rating system? Maybe they can email you a white paper on the methodology used.
The testing protocol is available on the respective NCAP sites.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 19:45   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,371
Thanked: 13,345 Times
Default Re: ASEAN NCAP results? Star Ratings / AOP figures / Analysis of a bigger picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Worth contacting Euro NCAP to understand their rating system? Maybe they can email you a white paper on the methodology used.
Here you go, hope this is what you wanted.

Euro NCAP

1) The car selection procedure

http://www.euroncap.com/ourtests/sel...explained.aspx

2) The test procedure explained:

http://www.euroncap.com/testprocedures.aspx

3) Technical information

http://www.euroncap.com/technical.aspx

Latin NCAP

Test Procedure Explained:

http://www.latinncap.com/en/explanation-of-the-tests

SOURCE: Taken from the respective sites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
The testing protocol is available on the respective NCAP sites.
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 20:08   #15
BHPian
 
TheTeacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Space-Time
Posts: 480
Thanked: 319 Times
Default Re: ASEAN NCAP results? Star Ratings / AOP figures / Analysis of a bigger picture?

Thanks guys. But if the info is on their website, why the confusion on interpretation?

I confess I haven't checked out the links you both gave. Will do that in the next few days.
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ASEAN NCAP Test Results - 5* for Prius & Vento, 4* for Swift, Sunny, Ciaz, Ertiga & Amaze RSR The Indian Car Scene 38 8th December 2016 14:05
ASEAN NCAP Q3 2014 Crash Test Results (Honda City & Tata Vista) ad3952n The Indian Car Scene 44 24th May 2016 16:47
Maruti Alto K10: ZERO Star Safety Rating in the Latin NCAP GTO The Indian Car Scene 159 15th April 2016 10:40
Euro NCAP Ratings of cars sold in India .anshuman Technical Stuff 64 2nd January 2015 19:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks