Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st October 2014, 10:23   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Meru Cabs launches App with Cab Wallet

Radio taxi operator, Meru has launched a new mobile app which features like one touch booking, tracking, confirm booking up to 7 days in advance and Cab Wallet.

The mobile wallet feature in the Meru Cabs app in partnership with Citrus Pay can be used for payment of the trip. It can also be used at select outlets of third party retailers. Customers register and load money into the app via credit card, debit card or through net banking. Meru and Citrus Pay claim that Cab Wallet is a fast and secure way of making payments.

Meru claims that the mobile app provides the smoothest and most convenient mode to find, select and track your nearest Meru cab. Customers need not even enter the pickup location, if they are booking from the location, as it is automatically picked up by GPS. Live positioning of cabs can be tracked on the map in real time even before booking. Customers can also track their cabís estimated time of arrival based on its GPS.

The app also has a unique 'Trip Tracker' service to ensure safety of customers, especially women. The application offers features such as tracking the customer's location and sending an alert in case of distress.

Customers are kept updated on their journey details. The app provides the details of the cab as soon as the booking is done along with the option of calling the driver with a call button.

Meru Cabs launches App with Cab Wallet-mr.-siddhartha-pahwa.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 1st October 2014 at 10:25.
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 10:40   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Meru Cabs launches App with Cab Wallet

they are quite good. except the occasional time the app hangs while waiting for GPS, it delivers (though older versions crashed like crazy). I REALLY like the ability to pay by app, unlike Ola, who don't have the ability presently.

The process is quite smooth - you just need to wait 30 sec for the SMS to arrive.

They even have an emergency sms option where you can alert friends and family that you are in trouble (over and above the trip tracker option).

Good but pricey IMHO.

Ola is good enough for me - for my wife in a new city, I unhesitatingly use Meru though for these features only!
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 14:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
they are quite good. except the occasional time the app hangs while waiting for GPS, it delivers (though older versions crashed like crazy). I REALLY like the ability to pay by app, unlike Ola, who don't have the ability presently.

The process is quite smooth - you just need to wait 30 sec for the SMS to arrive.

They even have an emergency sms option where you can alert friends and family that you are in trouble (over and above the trip tracker option).

Good but pricey IMHO.

Ola is good enough for me - for my wife in a new city, I unhesitatingly use Meru though for these features only!
Ola has been having cashless wallet like facility since atleast last 1 month. I have been using it on my iOS device. I got 300 in my wallet upon installing the app and 1 ride free. Could use those for 3 free cab rides.
Infact 15 days ago, I tried paying for my Meru cab ride using my card details entered while registering, and the citrus payment just wouldn't go through.After 3 failed attempts I had to settle in cash.

Infact, post the iOS 8.0.2 update, the Meru app has not been updated and is non functional.

The most important reason for using Uber and Ola has been the facility to locate the closest cab available, before booking ,which Meru didn't have on iOS when it worked.
riteshritesh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 15:30   #4

Nice to hear that Meru is adapting to mobile channel though it is a laggard in technology adoption. Its newer peer Ola cabs is doing a fabulous job on its mobile app with location identification, locating closest cab, cab tracking and Ola Money wallet. Due to these features and a new car fleet, I prefer Ola cabs more than Meru since last one year.
Plus Ola came up with 3 types of fleet- Mini, sedan and premium. Mini is economical option for a single traveller (like myself for office travel sometimes).
Nevertheless, it makes sense to try Meru next time !
Deepalimal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 16:34   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Meru Cabs launches App with Cab Wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Ola has been having cashless wallet like facility since atleast last 1 month. I have been using it on my iOS device. I got 300 in my wallet upon installing the app and 1 ride free. Could use those for 3 free cab rides.
Infact 15 days ago, I tried paying for my Meru cab ride using my card details entered while registering, and the citrus payment just wouldn't go through.After 3 failed attempts I had to settle in cash.

Infact, post the iOS 8.0.2 update, the Meru app has not been updated and is non functional.

The most important reason for using Uber and Ola has been the facility to locate the closest cab available, before booking ,which Meru didn't have on iOS when it worked.
That is crazy. I dont have the cashless wallet option. They confirmed as much to me on twitter (that card option is coming soon). The wallet thus far is only "money" which you get from referrals or a new signup. This wallet isnt a citrus like setup. Surprised they introduced that in iOS but not android!

For me, while the meru app was buggy, atleast the payment worked just fine the 3 odd times I used it. Thankfully
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 17:00   #6

It is good to hear of a new app but any experience of availability of these cabs in case you want one at short notice? The drawback of radio cabs at least in NCR is that they are never available in case you don't have your car with you and need a taxi suddenly. Some operators even cancel bookings that were made in advance just because they may get longer routes than yours which will increase their average sale amount.
Tarrodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 15:54   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrodie View Post
It is good to hear of a new app but any experience of availability of these cabs in case you want one at short notice?
Tarrodie, you might want to check my Uber Review (Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service) out. They've expanded their fleet recently. I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes in the last month or so.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 15:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Just curious to know how safe is it to travel by these cabs that track our location in real time?! Do they have a data retention and privacy policy system in place which spells the way the customer data would be handled?

In the traditional radio cab system sans GPS, a customer can just book a cab from Point A to Point B and travel to N number of places inbetween. The exact whereabouts of the customer isn't known to the company. All you need to do is pay up for the distance you traveled. Period.

However these modern radio taxis equipped with all these location tracking gadgets track your location on real time basis which is stored and accessible to their entire workforce dealing with these operations. Doesn't it pose a threat to people who don't want the entire world to know where you travel around?!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 3rd October 2014 at 15:52.
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 19:37   #9
BHPian

Hi
Let me first tell you that MERU services were availed by me in Mumbai and Delhi and were very efficient. In Kolkata I think there are not many cabs on the road.
There is no booking counter at the Kolkata airport, where as Mega cab has.
I would like to share a very shocking incident that happned with me.
I needed to go to the airport on 28 Sept 2014 at 1030 hrs. Did the booking for the same the previous day.
On the day of journey at around 0830 hrs called up MERU again and confirmed if the cab was coming on time to which the tele executive replied affirmative.
At 1000 hrs the driver called and informed me that he would not be able to pick me up as he was at Garia which is about 1 hour driving distance away from my location in Joka. I called the MERU call centre number immediately and informed the same to which the tele executive informed that they do not have a phone outgoing facility and there was no way he could confirm with the driver that he could not pick me up. He also informed me that as per the GPS location of cab available to him he was only 30 minutes away.
The tele executives speaks about the distance based on KM looking at GPS location on the computer map. They also seem to be sitting in some other city and unaware of ground reality in Kolkata.
The ground reality is something else. The distance between Garia and Joka is not very much as in my case, based on distance inferred from the maps. But the road is only a two lane street with pedestrian, autos, rickshaws and several vegetable markets on the way with hawkers on the street.
So I think that MERU has hurried the launch of its taxi service in Kolkata without proper infrastructure which will dent its image as an efficient taxi service provider.
I complained about this incident on the website and Ms. Lukvisha Carvalho Customer Relations Ė Meru Cabs told me action was taken on the erring driver.
I feel it is the infrastructure, or the lack of it that caused this problem.
Bye for now
norhog is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 23:51   #10
BHPian

Meru is expansive, that to now added tax from Oct 1st add to another 15%. In Bangalore it comes to almost Rs.24+ per KM.

While I have used OLA only for couple of times in last three days, I find it efficient and cheaper. ALso they do provide online tracking and receipt with route map. So obviously the drivers don;t try to take the passenger for a ride.

So time to move to OLA.
manjubp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 15:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That is crazy. I dont have the cashless wallet option. They confirmed as much to me on twitter (that card option is coming soon). The wallet thus far is only "money" which you get from referrals or a new signup. This wallet isnt a citrus like setup. Surprised they introduced that in iOS but not android!

For me, while the meru app was buggy, atleast the payment worked just fine the 3 odd times I used it. Thankfully
Yes you are correct. Ola has a cashless facility with its OLA Money .
This OLA MONEY can be loaded using CC/Internet Banking/Recharge code right from the phone from within the app,so yes, it doesn't have a citrus account kind of direct link with our CC or the RBI challenged UBER method of using our card details without the 2 factor verification.
riteshritesh is offline   Reply With Quote