Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th October 2014, 17:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report

It all started with a call from BHPian and BMW'er RSudarsanan this Tuesday, about a BMW Experience tour happening in Bangalore this weekend and whether I would like to join him (invitees were allowed to take 2 more of their own invitees along). Diesel_convert was the other BHPian who joined us for this visit. The invites were handed out only to select people, mostly current owners of BMWs. Such invites hardly ever come by for enthusiasts like us, so I couldn't in my dreams refuse this. RS had chosen a 3 hour slot between 3pm and 6pm. Perfect recipe for some post lunch action and a chance to drive these awesome machines which stood for 'Sheer Driving Pleasure'. Unfortunately I hadn't carried my DSLR for this event, and had to make do with my backup phone for camera / pictures.

Come Friday, we met up at the BIAL airport expressway and started our journey towards the venue
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0028.jpg

We had to turnoff towards Stone hill international school, proceed away from the expressway and into the interior roads
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0030.jpg

Thankfully, there were adequate signboards to guide us to the venue
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0031.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0033.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0034.jpg

After 3-4 km of driving, we reached a large open area with this arch greeting us into a mud path, which led to the venue's parking area
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0036.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0037.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0038.jpg

There was no dearth of publicity, by the looks of it
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0039.jpg

The venue wasn't pretty big. There was an exhibition area and the 'drive experience' demo cars were all parked outside
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0140.jpg

'em Minis were there too, albeit with some stepmotherly treatment. All of these were open for test drives for invitees. We didn't have the time though.
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0042.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0142.jpg

The X series demo cars lining up for our drive experience session of their SUV capabilities.
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0041.jpg

A glimpse of the off road course we would be driving the Xs over
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0040.jpg

We went into the exhibition area where we had to register our participation and in turn, were given badges to identify us as drivers (from the rest of the guests)
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0061.jpg

Lunch was being served, courtesy Navnit motors and Taj westend
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0043.jpg

The exhibition area had these machines on display: 640d Gran Coupe and the Active Hybrid 7
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0044.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0045.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0047.jpg

Active Hybrid 7
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0050.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0046.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0052.jpg

The legendary BMW S1000RR HP4 was also on display
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0053.jpg

After a quick lunch-snack session, all the invitees were divided into two groups - one would embark on the X series SUV driving course, while another would tackle the 1, 3 and 5 series cars over a flat dirt track/circuit to showcase the brilliant dynamics these cars carry. The circuit laps involved timing the participants too, so they were actually pushing us to push the cars more . Later the two groups would swap roles.

BMW official instructor Wong briefing the participants about the dos and don'ts
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0056.jpg

Our group got the X series SUV driving experience first, over the short course they had put up. The fleet had a random mix of X1, X3 and X5. Invitees were free to choose anything they wanted. We got the X5 for ourselves
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0057.jpg

Diesel_convert mounted the GoPro on our X5 to capture the drive
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0064.jpg

I am not at all an offroad or SUV enthusiast, so pardon me for any newbie-ish comments on this experience . One part of the course involved some obstacles like these to show how stable the vehicle can be. We could hardly feel the vehicle tilting when we were climbing over these alternate humps nearly 2 feet tall!
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0065.jpg

The second part of the course had these almost 45 degree mud slopes with wooden planks. We had to climb over these with one of the car's sides and move that way to feel how the power is transferred to the wheel which needs it the most (and has the most grip) at any point in time.
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0067.jpg

The third part involved climbing a steep slope almost 30 degrees inclined. Hill hold assist and hill descent control were demonstrated here.
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0068.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0069.jpg

Last edited by KarthikK : 11th October 2014 at 22:07.
KarthikK is offline   (20) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2014, 17:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report

BMW Experience tour 2014 : (continued...)

The downward slope into the ditch demonstrated the hill descent control feature, which allows the driver to lift the feet off the throttle and brake pedals and the car auto-sets the descent speed to 8 kmph (default value). This can be configured to values within 5 kmph and 25 kmph if the driver desires to. The feature won't work unless you are on a downward incline, so it won't hamper normal driving even if activated.
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0070.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0071.jpg

After that a couple of sharp turns and hairpins between cones to try our hand at tackling the long turning radius without hitting those things, and then it was back to the start point where the drivers switched places.
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0073.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0075.jpg

Some random snaps from the X series drive experience event and invitees trying their hand at the obstacle course:
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0077.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0078.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0079.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0080.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0081.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0083.jpg

Departing shots of the SUV course: the alternating mammoth humps and the inclined one-sided approach slope
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0084.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0085.jpg

Later, an instructor took all of the invitees in batches in an X5 on the see-saw ramp to demonstrate the weight balance and other hill climbing assistance features
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0087.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0088.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0089.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0090.jpg

After this X series event completed, there was some free time until the other group finished the sedan drive experience part. We were checking out this monster machine in the meanwhile - the mighty M5!
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0093.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0095.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0096.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0097.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0099.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0101.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0102.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0103.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0106.jpg

Soon, the sedans were back. For the track experience, we were allowed to choose between the 118D, 320D, 520D and 525D, 2 people per car (who would swap later so both got a go)
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0111.jpg

A 520D F10 was what RSudarsanan picked up . Diesel_convert and I got hold of a spanking new 320D.
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0110.jpg

I loved the clean, no-nonsense design of the 320D F30 dash. Simple, uncluttered yet sophisticated!
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0115.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0116.jpg

A silhouette of yours truly at the wheel, waiting for the track session to start off
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0113.jpg

Last edited by KarthikK : 11th October 2014 at 20:16.
KarthikK is offline   (18) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2014, 17:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

BMW experience tour 2014 : (continued...)

All of us took off in a convoy. Wong, the instructor from BMW took us around the track in 2 laps. It was fairly long, had a decent mix of chicanes, hairpin bends and tight curves, all done with cones in an open field. The whole circuit was on flat mud, mind you, so there was plenty of opportunity to drift the car out of corners. Only 1 car was on the circuit at any point in time while the others waited in line; safety was always top priority during the event. We had the drive setting on the 320D set to Sport and traction control was switched off to have some fun. Boy, were we ready to go!

Who can get tired looking at such a nice view from the driver's seat? Warrants another snap
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0118.jpg

Some random snaps from the circuit drive experience (all taken on the warmup laps though). Video footage is all captured from Diesel_convert's GoPro cam:
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0119.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0121.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0121.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1297875

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0122.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0123.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0125.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0127.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0128.jpg

Each driver could do 3 practice laps and 1 hot lap which would be timed, just for fun (no prizes or competition involved). Hitting cones would add 2 seconds to the lap times for each cone. Turned out, the fastest car of the event was a 320D with 2 BHPians clocking the quickest lap times. Diesel_convert clocked 50.1 seconds and I clocked 50.8 seconds. The rest of the field was struggling at 52-53+ seconds. RS would have beaten us by a huge margin, but he had a 520D with a few hundred kgs extra weight and a longer car to handle around tight corners. The 320 was nimble as a fox and was outright fun to drive around the track. Handling is leagues ahead of what I have ever driven in this segment (relative to the A4 and C250), but then that is what 'Sheer Driving Pleasure' stands for . Definitely the 3 is a car I would love to upgrade to, wallet permitting, but that's another story for another day.

Here's a picture of our trusted steed :
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0134.jpg

We thought the more agile 118D might trump our times on a cramped track with tight turns but thankfully, it didn't rather than couldn't
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0126.jpg

Wong the instructor took us all by turns, on an inspired lap of his own version, pushing the car to the limit and showing what it was really capable of doing. His lap times were in the range of 43 seconds.
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0132.jpg

BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0131.jpg

After the event, we were treated to one more session of tea and snacks, and then handed a bag of goodies from BMW containing a T-shirt, a cap, a poster and calendar of the brand, nice memorabilia for auto merchandise junkies such as myself. A fun day and a very memorable one at that for me.
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0143.jpg

A last look at the beauties
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0145.jpg

The goodies bag
BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report-dsc_0150.jpg

Special thanks to BHPian and BMW owner RSudarsanan for inviting me along to the 2014 version of this event at Bangalore. Thanks to BMW and Navnit motors also for organizing everything very well for the invitees - there was no stone left unturned to make all of the invitees and guests feel comfortable at the venue.
That's it from me. Over to Diesel_convert for his GoPro video footage and his account of the drive.

Last edited by KarthikK : 12th October 2014 at 00:47.
KarthikK is offline   (31) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 09:22   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out of Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 09:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am searching for emoticons and running out of the list to describe your day. What a fantastic start to a dreary week

The grancoupe and M5 are just drool worthy. Congrats on having the opportunity to have such an experience and thanks for sharing the same with us.
Any chance the other bhpians carried along a camera which means more pics for us to see?
selfdrive is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 10:35   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing!

The HP4 was not ridden? I would have taken that out (but not on these mud tracks)
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 11:26   #7
BHPian

Congratulations to both of you(you and Jayanath). Lucky guys

M5(in black matte) looks awesome.
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 12:22   #8
BHPian

Congratulations!!
What an awesome day you had. I sat in a M5 years back and still remember the jaw dropping acceleration. A great car.

I am waiting for such an event that would be organised by Audi here in Delhi (Q drive), probably around November. Looking forward to experience this excitement.
AZ911 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 13:28   #9
BHPian

Thank you for sharing The instructor took 42-43 seconds as opposed to your 50-51 seconds!! Man he must have ripped that beemer quite hard.

They should have also kept a few of their bikes for the event. But the dirt track wouldn't have done justice to those beauties.

P.S. I think that is a normal S1000RR and not an HP4.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 14:14   #10
BHPian

I too was there but on Saturday for the 1 PM slot. The rain was a HUGE spoiler though as we ended up doing only half. So none of the hill descent function in the ditch or the laps. Only driving over the humps in a X3 and start-stop in a 3-series GT by going flat out till 60 in some 4-5 secs and absolute braking.

It was fun, nevertheless! Plus had a blast ripping the Mini Cooper S - was joy to red line it. The Countryman was just plain boring though. But boy, was their steering stiff! Could not drive the soft top as there was a huge line for it and it became uncomfortably ugly between some folks who argued over who was waiting for long So decided to give it a skip, especially when it is was a matter of 120 odd bhps and I had already tasted 180 bhps :P

Could not enjoy the hospitality of the F&B stuff as I give my better half company on a Karvachouth but it seemed to be a decent spread.

I was actually hoping that they will give the M5 too for a drive but apparently only one guy in our slot managed it - through a service connection he enjoyed with BWM. Rest only heard it though he did went by me when I was ripping Cooper S and boy, did it sound sweet!!!!

Overall, nice but would love to have more time with the cars than what I could manage.

And yes, the 640d Gran Coupe is gorgeous ... me and my wife were discussing on how one would feel once that gorgeous matte brown color would get scratched in Bangalore traffic
Hells Bells is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 18:26   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: BMW Experience Tour, 2014 : An invitee's report

Neat report, thanks for sharing! You obviously had a great time.

I've been / seen a couple of these events from Mercedes / BMW / Audi, but they were mainly soft-roading with their SUVs. The track experience is a welcome addition
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 08:58   #12
BHPian

A well written report.
Nice to see that BMW has organized it for the First time in India.
I got an invite but couldn't attend in the last moment due to some personal work.
I hope they put a better event next time with a tarmac track too.
#enzowho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 22:18   #13
BHPian

Whew ! , you guys are so lucky ! , just reading about your experience makes me drool

The See-Saw ramp experience must have been cool.

They should have let you guys take a spin on the minis too.

May your wish to upgrade to the 3 come true !
The Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 23:09   #14
BHPian

That sure seems like a lot of fun !!

M5 is just so drool worthy & that matte black made me go weak in my knees gosh.. if there ever was a dream "sport sedan" then it has to be the M5

Waiting for some more pics from Diesel_convert !
suhas_raj is offline   Reply With Quote