Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st October 2014, 15:08   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Does peer pressure influence our buying decisions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by model-t
According to ur argument , we should never buy a 3 series till our boss buys a 5 series. Is this not ridiculous? Just not happy with the generalization. It may be the norm in some companies but not the given.
Infact, your view is pretty myopic.
I don't think zenren was generalising. He was just mentioning a possibility, which is actually not impossible. And it is not about "companies", but about the person.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 15:12   #47
BHPian

Not sure if it is true, but once a friend of mine told me that in Kolhapur, the rich despite owning various luxury cars still needed to own a Merc just because the other people thought that you are not "rich" unless you own a Merc regardless of what other cars you have

So there you go, peer pressure does influence certain of our decisions and car-buying is no different. Finally, what matters is whether you are happy with your decision because you'd have to live with that decision.
Car-go-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 16:33   #48
Senior - BHPian

The fact we live in society and get judged and do judge people in almost all aspects of life, whether its clothes, opinions, economic status, house, etc. etc. The fact is people judge and get judged.

Therefore peer pressure (pressure maybe the wrong word), plays a part. Its the same as we comb our hair when we go out and meet people, if there were no peers, we may as well not comb, not shave, and be outside the house like we are inside. But no, when we go out, we do wear better clothes, comb our hair, shave...

You get the drill?
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 16:45   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-go-man View Post
Not sure if it is true, but once a friend of mine told me that in Kolhapur, the rich despite owning various luxury cars still needed to own a Merc just because the other people thought that you are not "rich" unless you own a Merc regardless of what other cars you have

So there you go, peer pressure does influence certain of our decisions and car-buying is no different. Finally, what matters is whether you are happy with your decision because you'd have to live with that decision.
May be this thread is the reason for it
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-kolhapur.html (180 Mercedes Benz cars booked in Kolhapur)
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 17:01   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
The fact we live in society and get judged and do judge people in almost all aspects of life, whether its clothes, opinions, economic status, house, etc. etc. The fact is people judge and get judged.

Therefore peer pressure (pressure maybe the wrong word), plays a part. Its the same as we comb our hair when we go out and meet people, if there were no peers, we may as well not comb, not shave, and be outside the house like we are inside. But no, when we go out, we do wear better clothes, comb our hair, shave...
Personally, I do not judge people on clothes and cars and I do not care how others judge me. Moreover, I wear good clothes to look good and presentable and I will not buy a certain brand of clothes just to impress someone else. I will buy my car and clothes to feel good and please myself.

But at the same time I think 'my car is bigger than yours' plays important role in many of my relatives and friends' buying decision.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 17:06   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Personally, I do not judge people on clothes and cars and I do not care how others judge me. Moreover, I wear good clothes to look good and presentable and I will not buy a certain brand of clothes just to impress someone else. I will buy my car and clothes to feel good and please myself.

But at the same time I think 'my car is bigger than yours' plays important role in many of my relatives and friends' buying decision.
In an idealistic world this is true. But how do you judge if someone is a bus conductor, auto driver, or a vice president of a company?

All clock's, watches, show the same time. But someone wearing an Omega or Timex are at opposite end of spectrum.

We dont live in an idealistic world everyone "judges" everything!
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 17:17   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
In an idealistic world this is true. But how do you judge if someone is a bus conductor, auto driver, or a vice president of a company?

All clock's, watches, show the same time. But someone wearing an Omega or Timex are at opposite end of spectrum.

We dont live in an idealistic world everyone "judges" everything!
Why do I need to judge a person by his appearance, clothes or his watch? It may be important in some professions but in my case it does not make any difference.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 19:25   #53
BHPian

Sadly, even if many of us swear by saying that we don't judge people, we knowingly or unknowingly do judge each and every one around us. Maybe not in a very prominent way but our mind definitely works so. This is not just India but all over the world. This is just how the world right now is.

And yeah, I do remember the days we were planning to buy the nano as a city car. I can't pen down how much i've been made fun of or how much criticism I've faced just because everyone around me felt the car is cheap, a TATA, 1 lac rupee car, etc and this includes my mother, other family members, school / college mates and everyone (except my dad ). I too had a pretty tough time to convince myself against all such provocations and there I just completed my 4th year of joy with my Nano! I love it!

Regarding an upgrade, we were having our Premier padmini till 2010 as our sole car and right from 2002-2003, especially as a school kid, i always used to fall prey to others comments and when i look around, i see all new Hyundai's and Maruti's and I used to complain to my dad. Then, he used to tell me how good our car is and the sentiments and the lovely moments and then everything goes off. I wake up the next day waiting to clean the padmini to see it gleam again!
freakmuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 19:47   #54
Senior - BHPian

My wife in 2007 didn't want to buy a new Nano but was ok with a used Alto. So image peer pressure social standing everything matters at every segment. Call it what you may...
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 19:51   #55
Senior - BHPian

I am not saying image / peer pressure does not work. E.g., I would not want to be seen in a white scorpio for the connotations it has out here in Delhi NCR. But to go against your instinct while buying a car just due to peer pressure is not a great idea.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 20:17   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Its encouraging to see so many of the esteemed members being hugely independent and making their own decision. Apparently, its everybody else that bows to peer pressure. As I pointed out earlier, peer pressure is not necessarily negative. There are many positive aspects to peer pressure.

For those who don't think they bow to peer pressure, Either you are a truly unique personality, or you are just like the other 99.99999% of the population and you just don't even notice you are being influenced. My money is on the latter.

Great salespeople will know how the human psyche works. Choices i.e. purchase decision are highly emotional decision. Most of us are extremely good at bringing all sort of rational into it, but thats just to back up your emotional decision, which is highly influenced by amongst others your environments, such as friends, family and collegueas alike. Amazingly, this is true in consumer purchases, such as a car, but it is equally true in B2B.

I doubt I make any decision in my life without some sort of influence from others. My wife gets consulted and is involved in just about anything I do in my/our personal life. Hell, she even buys some of my clothes for me! I would never spend any serious money without her knowing and having discussed it with her. I'm very happy for it. Professionally I take decisions all the time, but rarely in isolation.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 20:37   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Its encouraging to see so many of the esteemed members being hugely independent and making their own decision. Apparently, its everybody else that bows to peer pressure. As I pointed out earlier, peer pressure is not necessarily negative. There are many positive aspects to peer pressure.

For those who don't think they bow to peer pressure, Either you are a truly unique personality, or you are just like the other 99.99999% of the population and you just don't even notice you are being influenced. My money is on the latter.

Great salespeople will know how the human psyche works. Choices i.e. purchase decision are highly emotional decision. Most of us are extremely good at bringing all sort of rational into it, but thats just to back up your emotional decision, which is highly influenced by amongst others your environments, such as friends, family and collegueas alike. Amazingly, this is true in consumer purchases, such as a car, but it is equally true in B2B.

I doubt I make any decision in my life without some sort of influence from others. My wife gets consulted and is involved in just about anything I do in my/our personal life. Hell, she even buys some of my clothes for me! I would never spend any serious money without her knowing and having discussed it with her. I'm very happy for it. Professionally I take decisions all the time, but rarely in isolation.

Jeroen

'Pressure' and 'Influence' aren't necessarily the same thing, nor work in similar ways. It's true that every decision we make is influenced by other factors and no decision can be made in absolute isolation unless we're living in a vacuum, which we obviously aren't.

That being said, having factors influencing a decision we make is not the same as being pressured into conforming with something we don't WANT to do. Consider this:

I'm trying to buy a driver-oriented car and ask two of my close friends for advice. One may tell me the pros and cons of two competing driver-oriented models and help me choose the one that fits my needs/wants best. He's influencing my decision, but only w.r.t. helping me evaluate the best driver's car for my money. Another friend (the type we're more likely to find in India unfortunately) will try to tell me I'm an idiot for wanting to buy a model that doesn't sell well because of poor FE, lack of 'bling' features or something else he considers a negative, and tries hard to convince me to buy a 'loaded' car which the majority has but I don't really want. This guy is 'pressurizing' me to conform with his idea of a good car at the expense of what I want.

Now your opinion may differ from mine, but I don't see anything wrong with the first friend and I don't consider that peer pressure. It's the second type I avoid and ignore when making a decision. Not all influence is pressure by default in my opinion.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st October 2014 at 20:40.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 21:13   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
'Pressure' and 'Influence' aren't necessarily the same thing, nor work in similar ways..
I agree. As I have written in some thread or other, one factor which could have influenced my Yeti purchase, was probably the TG episode which I watched in March 2011 in England.
But under absolutely no circumstances would I venture to say that someone like JC is my "peer". He is an influencer yes, but in this case, truth be told, the inherent vehicle value prop was what convinced me!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 22:30   #59
BHPian

I still use my Nokia 6030 feature phone which will be a decade old in a few months time. That should be an indicator on me and my susceptibility to peer pressure.

IMHO, those who succumb to peer pressure are the ones who didn't know what they really wanted. Most of these people would actually hope that THE deodorant would get them an assortment of hot young gals.

My personal summation from what I read so far in this thread, Peer Pressure is a major factor for a significant section of the society, but that is primarily a triumph of ego over logic.
sun_king is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote