Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd August 2006, 14:19   #1
BHPian

Default Some ideas to manage traffic violations

Some ideas to manage traffic violations

Educate

Educate public very intensely through all possible ways. It can be done at Schools, Colleges and through TV Channels, Newspaper, short films shown before a movie. Do this continuously and bombard people with information. It will help improve the situation. These days there are very minimal effort spent on this kind of awareness.

Involve school children and college goers in traffic regulation as an extra curricular activity, as part of NCC or Scout. This will help reduce the burden of traffic cops in the peak hours as well as serve as a good training for the young citizens and inculcate the importance of following and understanding traffic rules. This could in turn help increase the awareness of parents as well. All students should be made to involve in this activity without fail.

Regulate

Getting a license should be tougher. A proper theory test on all possible information related to driving and road safety should be part of the process of obtaining license. People who can’t read and write need not be provided any license or given any concession. Tests on driving, parking, maneuvering, following traffic signs and changing the driving accordingly, road behavior should be part of the driving test. License validity should be for 10 years but with one re-test after 5 years to verify that the person possesses proper skills to drive and has good physical (especially eye sight) and mental fitness to drive. The concept of “yield” , “priority” (this is mostly unknown in India) should be defined, known and practiced. This should be tested during the test for obtaining license as well.

Heavy vehicles should not be allowed to ply on residence areas and crowded parts of the city and they should be operated only during the night. These are the vehicles that are lorries, trucks, huge trucks used in construction work.

Punish

A simple and effective punishment method can be introduced (might sound controversial I should warn). If anyone is caught violating a traffic rule (categorized as simple violations which doesn’t cause death to anyone but still is a violation in terms of jumping a signal, lane cutting, driving in a speed not as posted in the signboard, parking in the wrong place, overtaking in a place where it is not suggested by the signboards, driving in the opposite direction close to the median, crossing the road at random locations [yes pedestrians too] etc) he/she should be taken into custody for 2 days (not exactly like jail term). They will be produced in front of a magistrate before whom they will vouch that they indeed violated the traffic rule. Then they should provide a written apology and an undertaking that won’t do any violation hereafter. This should be included in their driving history. Before that in India the procedure of maintaining a driving history if individuals should be in place (with the help of all these computerization it should be easily possible). During the 2 days in custody the person should be allowed only one phone call to inform their relatives of the situation. They will pay for their own food. They will be shown documentaries on traffic rules, regulations. This could be of effect because in everyday busy schedule you are going to lose 2 days suddenly which could affect you very badly at home and work. Your world freezes for couple of days. Anyone who goes through this experience won’t dare to violate any traffic rule again and it will be deterrent enough for others.

If anyone of underage (less than 18) violates a traffic rule or drives without a license their parents should also be taken to custody.

Every single violation a person does should be given some points and upon reaching certain number of points their license should be cancelled and they should not provided one for their lifetime.

Create infrastructure

Roads should have required number of lanes and lanes should be allocated for appropriate vehicle category. In all big cities there should be separate lanes for 1) cycles, 2) motorized 2 & 3 wheelers (like bikes, autos), motorized >4 wheelers. Lane width should be the same in the entire length of the road. Traffic signals and signboards should be clearly visible in all weather conditions and should be placed in sufficient distance ahead to warn the drivers.

Like the neatly maintained toll roads, the city roads should also be constructed meeting international standards and quality and should be maintained by private companies and the city corporation should take care of the payment from the basic city taxes.

Flyovers on railway crossings should become mandatory. Instead of U turn in the middle of the road from the right most lane a proper exit from the left and entry to the right should be planned and constructed.

I wanted to just put down my thoughts that occurred to me.

Last edited by LandCruiser : 3rd August 2006 at 14:39.
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 14:28   #2
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Landcruiser: I found your submission hard to read earlier.

The text appeared like this

=============
[FONT='Trebuchet MS']Some ideas to manage traffic violations[/FONT]
[FONT='Trebuchet MS'] [/FONT]
[FONT='Trebuchet MS']Educate[/FONT]
[FONT='Trebuchet MS']Educate public very intensely through all possible ways. It can be done at Schools, Colleges and through TV Channels, Newspaper, short films shown before a movie. Do this continuously and bombard people with information. It will help improve the situation. These days there are very minimal effort spent on this kind of awareness.[/FONT]
=============

It seems to have gotten resolved.

Ram

Last edited by Ram : 3rd August 2006 at 14:35.
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 14:38   #3
BHPian

I had written in outlook editor and pasted it here. That is why that bad format. Then I formatted it.
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 18:58   #4
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser

Educate

Educate public very intensely through all possible ways. It can be done at Schools, Colleges and through TV Channels, Newspaper, short films shown before a movie. Do this continuously and bombard people with information. It will help improve the situation. These days there are very minimal effort spent on this kind of awareness.

Involve school children and college goers in traffic regulation as an extra curricular activity, as part of NCC or Scout. This will help reduce the burden of traffic cops in the peak hours as well as serve as a good training for the young citizens and inculcate the importance of following and understanding traffic rules. This could in turn help increase the awareness of parents as well. All students should be made to involve in this activity without fail.
The Bombay Police Traffic Dept. now called RTO, started a Road Safety Patrol (RSP) Scheme for schoolkids back in 1951. School students were trained in road safety aspects and trained in Drill and Parade.

In 1969, I was a 12 year old RSP member. We RSP kids would wear berets and epaulettes made of maroon wool and had a brown 3-inch wide leather belt.

Mine was a Roman Catholic convent school run by Redemptorist Fathers from Italy and we were strictly forbidden from speaking in any language except English in school. For many of us, the RSP parade instructions being issued in Hindi, was a welcome novelty.

We were also taught leadership skills and discipline (including road discipline).
The idea being that we in turn would educate our families and classmates.
The RTO's Traffic Control - Education Branch provided free training.

Zonal Rallies and Final Rallies were organized at Shivaji Park and Brabourne Stadium.
The massive annual RSP rally was at the Bombay Police Headquarters. Four winning teams at this rally would participate in the Republic Day Parade at Shivaji Park.

There used to be (and I think there still is) a Road Safety Training Park for RSP kids at Cooperage. The park was sponsored by Burmah Shell (now called BPCL). Back in 1964, the Governor of Maharashtra was Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru's sister Smt. Vijayalaxmi Pandit. She inaugurated the park. The park had mini road infrastructures with working traffic signals, four-wheeled pedal cars, Traffic signs, etc.

Ah nostalgia!

Today the RSP scheme is implemented in 500+ schools and extends to over 68,000 RSP students. The RSP committee is convened by the Joint Commissioner of Police, Traffic and consists of Zonal Warden Officers.

Ram
Old 3rd August 2006, 23:48   #5
BANNED

Hey my school used to take us for the same thing at Cooperage, where the traffic police had their little "playground". Was great fun.

However, I think it was too little too early. We should start by making the tests for driving licences a lot more stringent. Right now you could run somebody over on your test and still get your licence because of the driving school-RTO nexus. Heck, I got my bike licence without even going to the RTO or doing any test!
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 00:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

All Good ideas ofcourse. The only one which is practicle and do-able is education about traffic and safe driving practices.

There is nothing wrong with the procedure of getting the license. What's missing is the spirit of implementation. I have known people with car licences who didn't know how to drive the car and would be a road hazard if let loose in a car and I am sure if driving test was done right, those people wouldn't get the license.

Regarding punishment, nothing wrong with the idea. Its just that when simple procedures like driving test for the license aren't implemented, there is absolutely no chance for this to get implemented either.

Infrastructure. Sure, I dream of that as well

Education and self awareness is the only way to manage traffic violations.

I had to hear a lot of crap from someone who hit my car from behind (that too in stop and go traffic). He thought that I shouldn't have braked suddenly from 10 kmph to 0. Go figure. Don't know how to educate those specimens.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 06:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Very thoughtful and interesting writeup, Landcruiser. If only......
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 09:26   #8
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser
Heavy vehicles should not be allowed to ply on residence areas and crowded parts of the city and they should be operated only during the night. These are the vehicles that are lorries, trucks, huge trucks used in construction work.
I have seen this while living in Western Europe.

Vehicles with commercial number plates are only permitted in the heart of the city, only after midnight and before 6 am in the morning. This is for tasks such as cleaning the garbage, washing the street, bicycle tracks and pavements, delivering milk and newspapers and replenishing the stocks in the shops.

This is ostensibly to reduce traffic congestion as people taking out their cars to go to work would be hindered by commercial vehicles.

I lived in the city of Rotterdam, where the municipal corporation was even sensitive to level of noise (decibel level) in the street. Noticed the same thing while living in Warrington, Cheshire, UK.

The peace of mind even while driving through downtown areas of the city was enviable. I saw no such discipline in the USA, having lived on both the west coast and New York.

Ram
Old 4th August 2006, 18:45   #9
BHPian

Some years ago, in cinema halls, before the screening of the movie, a short documentary was screened on subjects like family planning etc. No doubt, they were drab and boring, but that medium could be used for this type of education and the content made more interesting. I have seen several drivers depress the clutch completely while applying brakes or coast down a bridge in neutral and suspect that they have no knowledge of car dynamics. Educating them is the way.
Bomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2006, 23:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
In 1969, I was a 12 year old RSP member. We RSP kids would wear berets and epaulettes made of maroon wool and had a brown 3-inch wide leather belt.
Hey, i was a RSP member and later a Girl Guide too (one of my aunts was one too in the 1950's) when studying in Bombay. We used to be made to man (should be 'child') the bus-stop at Juhu Church in Bombay after school @ 1 p.m.

I find that these movements (Boy Scouts, Girl Guides, RSP, NCC, NSS) have been lost totally to the young crowd of today. I cannot recall my brother or cousins (i have about a dozen cousins - all younger than me) ever being involved in any one of these activities. This should be made part of the curriculum.

It is always surprising for me to find people waiting on the roads for buses and most times using up the designated bus lanes while waiting for the buses in Bangalore (at KR Puram they use up half the road space - why in h*** cant they stand on the footpaths & bus stops that have been created for the purpose???? will the bus arrive faster if they block the road for other road users? ofcourse not - infact it will delay buses; or will they get into the buses any faster? it takes longer for the buses to stop comfortably due to the attitude of the passengers. There is an absolute disorganised look (anarchy) here and i recall how our school principal used to be at the bus-stop with his cane after admitting the younger students in the school and ensured that there was discipline while waiting for the bus. Even the adults using the buses at the time when school closed would stand quietly in queue. I recall that there were bus wardens at train stations in Bombay to ensure that people stood in queue for boarding buses (atleast that was so at Santacruz station) and nobody got onboard without queuing - not sure if this is true any longer.

According to me, bus drivers should be told NOT to stop at a bus stop unless the crowd behaves in an organised fashion and queues up for the bus. A few days of having buses just drive past without stopping ought to cure these commuters. But ofcourse education and traffic campaigns are important before this is implemented - else we may end up with people stoning buses.........
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote