Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 29th October 2014, 11:27   #31
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Dearth of SUV choices in the 30 - 50 Lakh price bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
No it is still sold for e.g; in both USA and Middle East.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I remember reading an article saying the FJ Cruiser would be discontinued this year. Possibly false information then. I find it a quirky but nice car, good to see its still selling.
Nope, the FJ Cruiser will be discontinued after the MY2014 model.

Relevant link - Toyota Global - Vehicle Availability

Relevant link 2 - Toyota FAQ

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th October 2014 at 11:29.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 11:34   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Toyota selling Prado at 1cr has to be the biggest joke of the year! The GL & Q7 are both cheaper.
For 34 lakh one can buy a Hyundai Santa Fe which is a capable SUV but its brand perception at the end of the day. Would one spend 30 lakh plus on a Hyundai or Nissan!

You have forgotten the Volvo XC60, by far the best looking SUV in that segment.
The 34lakh Santa-Fe isn't a true blue SUV. It is more of a soft-roader, you really can not compare it to the go-anywhere kind of abilities of the Pajero Sport/ Fortuner or the Montero/ Prado (which are 'Supposed' to be in the 40-50lakh price bracket).
IMHO its a good car, but seriously not worth the price.

Slightly
Internationally as far as i know the Fortuner was used to fill the segment between the RAV4 and the Prado (was told by someone at the Bahrain's Toyota dealership). But here not only do we need something to fill the gap between the Prado and the Fortuner, but also Prado needs to be sold with a V8 Diesel.

Here are the specifications of both the Fortuner and the Prado-

1. Prado- http://www.toyotabharat.com/cars/new...ification.aspx

2. Fortuner- http://www.toyotabharat.com/cars/new...ification.aspx

As far as i can see both have the same engine with slight changes to the power and torque output. So basically keeping even the price factor aside, The Prado is no real upgrade over the Fortuner. Montero on the other hand offers a real upgrade over the Pajero Sport. Wish they launch it here again.

Asit

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 29th October 2014 at 11:37.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 13:25   #33
BHPian

I will add another twist to it. Even in the 30 lakh segment - there is no single great option to address all requirements. The pros and cons are:

- Pajero Sport: great standalone product, weak dealership network
- Fortuner: Good service, dealership; maybe tad overpriced given known issues around suspension and brakes
- Santa Fe: Costliest choice, and still a softroader

I upgraded from a Scorpio - and to be honest, the Scorpio delivered a very good value against the parameters I have mentioned above. However, I wanted to 'upgrade' and hence went through this quandary.

Whoever buys in this 30L category, tries to go in with these as known issues and slight compromises. I find it interesting that the experience is nowhere as complete as buying a sedan - where most features are already answered for, and its truly a matter of personal choice without these compromises.
anshuman_v is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 14:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Just checked the price of Prado and was flabbergasted. When and how did they jump from 45L to 85L? What new features were added to justify such a jump?
There are versions of the Land Cruiser, one is called the Land Cruiser Prado, the 45L one, which was discontinued/ stopped selling in India long back. The Current one is a CBU and is not called a Prado, it is simply referred as LC200, this costs anywhere between 85L - 1 Crore from when it was launched.
Also I dont think the LC200 is a replacement to the LC prado.
r3ckl355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 14:33   #35
BHPian

Default Dearth of SUV choices in the 30 - 50 Lakh price bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3ckl355 View Post
There are versions of the Land Cruiser, one is called the Land Cruiser Prado, the 45L one, which was discontinued/ stopped selling in India long back. The Current one is a CBU and is not called a Prado, it is simply referred as LC200, this costs anywhere between 85L - 1 Crore from when it was launched.

The 45L Prado and the one sold now for 85L are the same. Just that the older Prado was offered with a 4.0 V6 petrol engine and the new 85 L Prado is offered with the 3.0 D-4D engine.

The LC200 is offered with a 4.5 V8 diesel and as far as I remember it was introduced in India at a price of 86 lakhs which now costs 1.15 crores.

So both the LC200 and the Prado are sold in India.

Asit

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 29th October 2014 at 14:34.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 15:02   #36
BHPian

Two SUV's that should be seriously considered are the Volvo XC60 and the Land Rover Freelander, both of which are in the 45L price bracket. This makes them about 10L cheaper to the german guns. Even the Touareg was an overpriced animal.

Maybe the 2016 Endeavour or the VW Tiguan will have answers. But how about a diesel powered CRV with 4x4 capabilities?
Khushrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 15:24   #37
BHPian

Cool Re: Dearth of SUV choices in the 30 - 50 Lakh price bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
I think you are absolutely right about Toyota Fortuner. It looks way over-priced!!. Should have been priced around 20 to 22 Lacs (on-road). The Fortuner gets all the features that are standard to the segment along with the basic safety features like ABS-EBD, ESP and two airbags for the front passengers.

But the things that give Fortuner the advantage over others are Toyota’s reliability (includes engine/suspension dynamics & refinement) and also service quality and commitment which is way better than our desi SUV's.
The Fortuner is an amazing daily vehicle. Rock solid. can last 300,000 km easily. Money very well spent.

But as a Fortuner owner who is keen to upgrade, I completely agree with the topic of the thread. Absolutely no interesting enough SUV in the 30 - 50 lakhs bracket.

ML is nice, X3 is disappointing. Other than the German trio's no one else is keen to have a go!

I found the best strategy in such a situation is to wait, as I have been doing. Fortuner can easily last an owner an extra couple of years. one can do mods such as Pete's, car wrapping, kitting it with a proper stereo to stave of on the urge to upgrade.

Use those 2 years to save up a bit more, and buy a proper nice SUV, such as the X5. even the Volvo XC 90 is awesome. Doubt many others represent a significant upgrade across all factors. Hopefully a reduction in import duty in 2015/16 may help all of us get these bad boys for less.

- Nucliomaniac
Nucliomaniac is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 19:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I was going by the price list on Toyota Web site. Why is it different from your number?
85 is baby Prado and 1.15 cr is big daddy LC 200 in Hyderabad
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 21:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Sheel;3566756]
If a consumer wishes, manufacturer has to dispose (Coming to it)
Really? Do you really feel this is the way things work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Many, believe me. And they are not present on internet.
And you think OEMs analyse the internet only?

Quote:
Let me give you a small sample size of my place. pgsagar's Vizag is a much bigger place than mine. The most costly sedan here is One Superb, One Octavia TSI Elegance and SUV's..? Only one German, a ML-350 CDI, though there is one LC-200 and a Land Rover Discovery HSE. And then there is a huge gap to the Fortuner (and there are plenty of it, in my circle, either someone has just bought one or is waiting for it) You think people are not ready to buy one? They are not ready to buy those grown up hatch inspired SUV's.
Now we are talking.
So let us get to some numbers here, if we can.

So, how many customers would Vizag, Purnea, Allahabad, Kanpur etc have for such "Real SUVs" compared to the more "Haloed German brands" compared to, say, the top 10 cities in terms of income in the country?

Quote:
Let us take your example. Why did you buy a Pajero Sport? You could have got yourself a Q3 or a X1. I could have waited for the Duster AWD, but have booked a 4WD Scorpio instead.
Exactly my point Sheel. It is only enthusiasts/learned, enlightened customers like us who "want" "Real SUVs".

For the others, features, brands & prestige is above all, and that is where the Germans excel, the world over.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 21:44   #40
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The upcoming Land Rover Discovery Sport would be a perfect upgrade from the Fortuner/Pajero.

The Discovery Sport is a true blue-blooded SUV and with 7 seats, it is a better choice than its 5-seater soft-roader rivals like the Q5, X3, ML and XC60. It looks stunning too.

Now only if Land Rover provides better after sales !!
Attached Thumbnails
Dearth of SUV choices in the 30 - 50 Lakh price bracket-land_roverdiscovery_sport_2015_b2.jpg  

Dearth of SUV choices in the 30 - 50 Lakh price bracket-landroverdiscoverysport20152.jpg  

Dearth of SUV choices in the 30 - 50 Lakh price bracket-2015landroverdiscoverysportmotionrearanglewallpapers_44608_2560x1600.jpg  

//M is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 22:23   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3ckl355 View Post
I don't know from where you are getting your information about Prado (J150) and Land Cruiser 200 series.

Prado has always been part of the Land Cruiser family and hence its name LC Prado.

LC 200 is completely different from J150, they are two different vehicles with different names.
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 10:30   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Coming back to the topic I wonder why the launch of Jeep's Wrangler and Grand Cherokee has been delayed so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So true. The Grand Cherokee appears to be a worthy premium SUV.
The main reason I think Fiat has not released Cherokee and Wrangler is because they want to price it competitively, as reported earlier they are planning for CKD to bring down the cost of the vehicles. Since this is a big launch for them and lot of other vehicle launches are aligned based on the success of these vehicles they are playing the wait game.
madroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 10:41   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
The 45L Prado and the one sold now for 85L are the same. Just that the older Prado was offered with a 4.0 V6 petrol engine and the new 85 L Prado is offered with the 3.0 D-4D engine.

So both the LC200 and the Prado are sold in India.

Asit
I am not aware of a Land Cruiser Prado that sold for 85L+, even then why did the 85L have a 4 cylinder? and the 45L a V6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
I don't know from where you are getting your information about Prado (J150) and Land Cruiser 200 series.

Prado has always been part of the Land Cruiser family and hence its name LC Prado.

LC 200 is completely different from J150, they are two different vehicles with different names.
Misunderstanding? I never said they are the same! I intended to say that the J200 / LC200 is not called the Prado.
r3ckl355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 11:26   #44
BHPian

Volvo XC60 is a nice option. Safe, good looking and feature rich. I don't understand why Indian people don't like Volvo, just because of the fact that it is teh most safest car in the world? It may be a bit pricey, but nothing can value your life. Discovery is good looking car no doubt. The new Santa Fe is also brilliant!
vikast_ap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 11:58   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikast_ap View Post
I don't understand why Indian people don't like Volvo, just because of the fact that it is teh most safest car in the world?
That is a very old tag line, when most cars were not safe Volvo stood out. Now most cars are on equal footing or more. You won't find much difference between Volvo or Toyota in most International safety ratings.

I used to regularly drive Volvo 850, S70 and S80, because my uncle used to be a serial Volvo buyer. The S80 was actually not so safe, my uncle & aunt were seriously injured in a minor accident. They stopped buying Volvo after that.

OK, now back to SUVs.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote