Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th October 2014, 15:06   #46
BHPian

Cool Re: Dearth of SUV choices in the 30 - 50 Lakh price bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That is a very old tag line, when most cars were not safe Volvo stood out. Now most cars are on equal footing or more. You won't find much difference between Volvo or Toyota in most International safety ratings.

I used to regularly drive Volvo 850, S70 and S80, because my uncle used to be a serial Volvo buyer. The S80 was actually not so safe, my uncle & aunt were seriously injured in a minor accident. They stopped buying Volvo after that.

OK, now back to SUVs.
Except that Volvo is chinese now!

Surprisingly, chinese ownership has done it good. The last couple of years, the cars have started to look better.

My business partner, has been a serial Volvo buyer, and kept buying the latest XC 90, over and over again. Many feel that the XC 90, is the ideal family SUV. Spacious, perfect for kids. kitted with meal trays, and other paraphernelia, to keep kids calm, as with Renault, Citroen. Very European, not only in image, but in functionality. Almost appealing to the European lifestyle.

The XC 90 is a fantastic option. would be interesting to see, what price they would launch it in India at?

Im happy to see that the thread has till now not focussed on Audi's. There is a god.

Im saving my moolah for the X5.

- Nucliomaniac
Nucliomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 18:09   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Dearth of SUV choices in the 30 - 50 Lakh price bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Really? Do you really feel this is the way things work?
How does a manufacturer conceptualize a product?

Seems, you know a bit more than me & I would be more than happy to know about it.

How did they know about (& hit the jackpot) with compact SUV's, as the compact SUV's are neither here, nor there. Ford EcoSport is a success, Quanto is a big failure and there are more in the pipeline.

Quote:
And you think OEMs analyse the internet only?

Now we are talking.
So let us get to some numbers here, if we can.

So, how many customers would Vizag, Purnea, Allahabad, Kanpur etc have for such "Real SUVs" compared to the more "Haloed German brands" compared to, say, the top 10 cities in terms of income in the country?
I am an enthusiast, like thousands of BHP-ians on our forum. And sorry, I can't think like an analyst or work out the numbers.

From your source, if you can find out as to how many rugged SUV's are sold in metros vis a vis the rest of India, I think we might have an answer as I believe (& will continue to) that LC's, Fortuners are sold more in Lucknow, Guwahati, Sikkim, Chandigarh, Jaipur, Surat, Kochi etc than your metros.

And what makes you think that a rugged SUV launched at 40-50L price bracket will not sell? I would like to know your POV.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 19:56   #48
BHPian

I for one would be really happy if there was a Japanese SUV(preferably Toyota!) in the price segment mentioned.
What I want from this SUV
1.Extremely butch looking
2.Rugged and long lasting mechanicals which will outlast it's owner.(The owner should never remember when was the last time he changed his shock absorbers after driving for atleast 2 lakh kilometers)
3.Capable of doing 40,000km in Indian road conditions without much wear and tear.
4.A comfortable cabin with SPACE in all 3 rows which most cars fall short off these days.
5.A personal wish which I know won't materialise: a V6 with 235~240bhp!(a V8 would be even better)

A bit off-topic: I always wonder what are people with Mahindra XUV500 W8 gonna upgrade too. That car has so many features that the owner won't feel happy even in the latest SUV's of the German trio. Although quality of material is an another thing altogether !
dean5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 21:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
So, how many customers would Vizag, Purnea, Allahabad, Kanpur etc have for such "Real SUVs" compared to the more "Haloed German brands" compared to, say, the top 10 cities in terms of income in the country?
The word "Haloed German" sounds like a big joke to me. Let us see. Under-spec, over-price and even after that no reliability. Breaks down at the drop of a hat. We Indians have to biggest suckers to be lapping up these unrelaible cars.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 21:41   #50
BHPian

Current OTR Mumbai Prices as per Carwale.com:

1) Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE: 1.42 to 2.14 Crore

2) Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4: 72 lacs to 1.23 Crore

3) Range Rover LWB Vogue: 2.67 to 3.38 Crore

4) Land Rover Discovery: 1.38 to 1.46 Crore

5) Toyota Land Cruiser Prado: 1.10 Crore

6) Toyota Land Cruiser LC 200 VX: 1.44 Crore

These prices are just ridiculous and make the German SUVs look VFM!

I think they have doubled their prices because in 2017 there is going to be a huge duty cut on all CBU cars so maybe they are trying to adjust the prices accordingly so even after the cut they will keep on making huge profits! its like how the retailers would increase the prices of their products just before the sale and eventually charge the same amount to customers even after discounts.

Otherwise how can one justify such insane hike in prices suddenly. No amount of inflation can justify this kind of jump.

At present the most attractive SUV below 40 lacs is the Santa fe. should be easier to run and maintain being a hyundai and is very good looking and according to various reviews, its a decent handler and has a good performance on tap. its also loaded to the gills compared to the Fortuner and Pajero sport and should be more comfy too. its one of the best car in 30 lacs segment!

Too bad the Montero is discontinued. after seeing the current prices, a 45 lacs Montero seems like a decent buy.
magikrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 21:46   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How does a manufacturer conceptualize a product?
That is a nice, long question Sheel. Will reply to it in detail individually.

Quote:
I am an enthusiast, like thousands of BHP-ians on our forum. And sorry, I can't think like an analyst or work out the numbers.
Yup, and manufacturers are analysts and number crunchers, to say the least. They cannot, and do not think like enthusiasts.

Quote:
And what makes you think that a rugged SUV launched at 40-50L price bracket will not sell? I would like to know your POV.
It will sell in limited numbers (again, not enough to justify its cost effective, profitable assembly, manufacture, or sale in India), but with the following caveats (and many more):

1. It must be manufactured by a "Prestige" brand.
2. Its volumes will continue to be low and niche.
3. It will die a pre-mature death on its own, again due to a lot of reasons of cost, real-world utility, perception, volume viability, other lighter, cheaper competition that serves the majority of customers, fuel consumption, emissions...the list is long.

PS: The above thoughts my opinion when I wear a manufacturer's hat, and it doesn't mean that I stand by them all the time. I wish some manufacturer proves me wrong.
n.devdath is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 11:32   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
The word "Haloed German" sounds like a big joke to me. Let us see. Under-spec, over-price and even after that no reliability. Breaks down at the drop of a hat. We Indians have to biggest suckers to be lapping up these unrelaible cars.
Finally someone said it! These forums are full of the maintenance issues and the discussions around availability of maintenance 'packages' for these Germans. I speak from close experience in my family, which has owned things from a Polo to an X5. What these Germans do is provide sublime driving experience, when they do. But they all tend to be a bit temperamental in terms of maintenance and so on. And part of the 'aura' or 'brand' image to be flaunting around these cars is that they show that not only can you buy pricey (one time), but you can also sustain pricey in terms of ongoing time/money issues (and hence are really well off).
anshuman_v is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 12:14   #53
BHPian

Quite an interesting thread, I thought of doing some basic research and started out by checking how many SUV's beyond 30L are sold annually in India. In 2013 it’s approximately 8200 (Following vehicles were considered- Cayenne, Discovery. Freelander, GL-Class, Land Cruiser Prado, ML-Class, Q3, Q5, Q7, Range Rover, Range Rover Evoque, Range Rover Sport, Touareg, X3, X5, X6, XC60, XC90, X-Trail based on the Ex showroom price as mentioned on Carwale.com )

If we consider just the 30-50 L price bracket number is approximately 6100 (Vehicles - Freelander , Q3, Q5, X3, XC60). I guess the market so is so small, global players is not very bullish on it and hence we don’t see many options there.

I also agree with GTO thoughts, this lack of options is driving the Fortuner's success in India

Another factor, which I think could be impacting the SUV's is, preference to Sedan. Indian buyer when thinks about luxury vehicles, it’s mostly the sedan, which accounts for double the sales of SUV's in India. May be that is why we see less drive for SUV's
Any thoughts/suggestions from the members are welcome
Autolock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 15:59   #54
BHPian

This thread couldn't have been more timely. We are considering moving up the ladder and finding a replacement for the Fortuner but there actually is nothing in the market that could be suitable.

Riddle me this, All I want is 7-seats and stuff usually expected of a luxury car from this price bracket (30-50L), where should I go? X1, X3, Q3, Q5, GLA, ML all out of question...All with 5-seats!

My best choice would be going in for a Q7 sometime next year when its on its way out for replacement and pick one up for a sizeable discount.

I have given up hopes on Land Rover India, after seeing what the RR Evoque, RR Sport, RR Vogue have been priced at they have just managed to justify charging way more than segment competitors yet again. I'm not expecting the new Discovery Sport to be anywhere below 60L ex-showroom even though the car its replacing is somewhere around 38.xx if im not mistaken.

Any suggestions/views on the Q7 team?

Last edited by n:CorE : 4th November 2014 at 16:01. Reason: Typo
n:CorE is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 16:08   #55
BHPian

We all need to admit that the Fortuner has 'Visual presence'. The Indian SUV buyer wants size...the bigger the better.
If Ford or GM could get in their American Tahoe & equivalents at 50-60 Lakhs they should sell. Also I think Nissan should bring in their Nissan Patrol which is 'Butchiest' of the lot. The Nissan Patrol,the Toyota Landcruiser & Mitsubishi Montero should be same segment. The Prado failed because apart from being priced out does not look visually bigger than the Fortuner. What say ?
rxpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 22:13   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
We all need to admit that the Fortuner has 'Visual presence'. The Indian SUV buyer wants size...the bigger the better.
The Prado failed because apart from being priced out does not look visually bigger than the Fortuner. What say ?
You are right. Forget Prado. Even 1.5 crore LC doesn't look as intimidating as Fortuner and therein lies its charm. SUVs are all about butch looks. I can only think of Fortuner, Pajero Sport, Safari and Scorpio which have that menacing look. Most other monocoque SUVs look like big hatchbacks. Naaaw...not for me.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 14:40   #57
BHPian

Torquing_points i think made the point about the Freelander... very valid - is definitely worth considering if someone is looking to shell out the 40+ range of dough.

Personally, looked for a true-blue rugged SUV, with all 4WD options (and automatic transmission, which was a requirement for me then) and zeroed in on a used Montero. Barring the fact that it runs a 4 cylinder engine, there's almost nothing you can find fault with. Would strongly recommend looking for a used say 2011 model which may be available between 30-35 lacs.
ravi_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 08:41   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
The upcoming Land Rover Discovery Sport would be a perfect upgrade from the Fortuner/Pajero.

The Discovery Sport is a true blue-blooded SUV and with 7 seats, it is a better choice than its 5-seater soft-roader rivals like the Q5, X3, ML and XC60. It looks stunning too.

Now only if Land Rover provides better after sales !!
Apologies for going off topic.
When is the expected launch date and price range for the Disovery Sport aka Freelander 3?
cityvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2015, 12:23   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Very interesting thread Sheel

I am sailing in the same boat as im owning a Fortuner and will be looking to replace it next year.

Thankfully i have understood this and convinced myself that il be waiting for the all new Fortuner to launch (early 2016) and will be going in for that as a blind buy.

What i gain will be;

- Redesigned Exterior & Interiors.

- Addition of new features.

- Little bit more torque and hp with the same old reliable 3L D-4D block (we can expect that as it is the industry norm these days)

- Slightly less bumpy ride.

- Rear Discs (Test mules have been spotted with the same)

Other Options Considered ?

YES.

I'd love to go in for the LR Discovery Sport (launching mid 2015)

But the above would not be sold in India with an M/T so that makes it less attractive to me.

Another choice would be the all new Ford Endeavor, but the T-FOG guys would kill me if id go in for that

Last edited by karan561 : 24th January 2015 at 12:51.
karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote