Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th November 2014, 17:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Santro still sells. It is almost 3K per month and for a 15 year old model, without any promotion, that is a feat.

Its a cash cow for Hyundai and on many occasions, it matches the Old i10.

Doesn't make business sense to retire the Santro.

Would be better to give better interiors, some minor external upgrades and let in continue till it dies a natural death!!
It still sells is the primary reason I think. They want the old i10 to sell more with the irde2 engine now. With the irde2, Santro makes more economical proposition.

It was a game changer on arrival. The first car for hundreds of thousands. Especially the symbol of status and success of countless young IT professionals for so many years.

Having driven FIL's 1st gen circa 2000 Santro (the flat back model. With him being 2nd owner)for countless long journeys I can always vouch for its reliability and practicality. He since changed to a new next gen i10 and the Santro still does duty in a related family without complaint. Always gets her fair part of discussions and nostalgia. A sweet car.

We don't love the brand new i10 like we loved the Santro. I suspect that I'll have company in this.

Sad to see the end. Of course it's good that Hyundai won't be selling 3 generations of the erstwhile Atos together. Selling the loved Santro on instead of the next gen i10 with only irde2 besides the Grand with kappa2 would have made sense I think.but that's not what people with an MBA think perhaps...

PS - I had typed all this around 8am when the thread was fresh via the mobile app. After submit, it gave me the feared message that this thread is now in assembly line and I can't post. This happens often and is frustrating. :banghead:

Last edited by Reinhard : 15th November 2014 at 17:29.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 17:31   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai to end Santro production

This was coming sooner or later actually. To boost the sales of Eon 1.0 liter this decision was to be made some day or the other. Moreover now the buyer can actually make a choice to settle in for Eon 1 liter or upgrade to i10 1.1 liter. The Santro had lived its lifecycle and was a brilliant product but then there was too much overlapping in Hyundai's entry level offerings. Overall a good move by Hyundai.
CountMe91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 18:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMe91 View Post
This was coming sooner or later actually. To boost the sales of Eon 1.0 liter this decision was to be made some day or the other. Moreover now the buyer can actually make a choice to settle in for Eon 1 liter or upgrade to i10 1.1 liter. The Santro had lived its lifecycle and was a brilliant product but then there was too much overlapping in Hyundai's entry level offerings. Overall a good move by Hyundai.
To add further, Santro also is out of synch in their fluidic design strategy. Hyundai has also announced to roll out one completely new product in every segment they are not present into in next two years so discontinuing Santro will help to free up the capacity as well.
Autolock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 22:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattanw View Post
Well this is a shock I must admit. The story was carried on the front page of times of India, Delhi edition, 14 Nov. At first i didnt quite believe what i was reading. That santro had probably outlived its utility and how it was gradually surrounded by better models has been well debated, but the very fact that it was one car with a timeless appeal across generations brings a little sadness to the heart. That solid design, tall boy stance, well built and well proportioned, solid fuel economy, option of factory fitted cng / lpg, made for a brilliant overall package.

On a more personal note, I always did find santro the best among all other cars in that price range, guess having owned one for the last 11 years brings in some bias one may say. This is one vehicle which had truly given me that confidence even at the worst terrains and in pathetic conditions so many times during these 11 years. Seems rather incredible. I can't help but feel little nostalgic with all the fond memories of driving it all those years. I personally feel the model had couple of more years left to be taken off production. Well at the end of the day its a business decision, hence can't criticize that too much.

While at that, I also feel that perhaps Hyundai could've given the car a couple of more facelifts than it actually got. Perhaps it should have received the same attention Hyundai gave to other mass selling models. Well, nothing we could do about that now I guess. Adiós dear santro.

Mods: if a thread exists on this topic, please feel free to merge.
-----------------------------------

I felt exactly the same ... SHOCKED, as Santro is an epitome of utilitarian Indian car, taking you to places with the confidence that no other car could match.

Remember the facelift of the original santro which later had power steering as standard (ZIPDRIVE) that's exactly what defines Santro and the convenience to take it in the old bylanes.

Yes its design is evergreen and everlasting. Even now when I look at my 11 years old satro Xing after servicing or a nice wash it looks like a Sunshine car (the way Hyundai marketed it in its mid age).

Also Santro helped Hyundai gain traction in India and also their brand ambassador, SRK was more of an ambassador of santro rather than Hyundai.

I felt these guys should have discontinued the i10 rather than the Santro and upgraded santro in a big way like what Mahindra did with the Scorpio.
namit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 22:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

sharing a pic of my old warhorse for this thread. Lots of memories had with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai to end Santro production-img-7-copy.jpg  

sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 23:10   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i10 View Post
I still don't believe this. Hyundai has been vehemently denying this, and unless Hyundai has some grand plans which people aren't aware of, discontinuing a model contributing 10% of monthly volume after all these years and with little to no promotion, doesn't make much business sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Santro still sells. It is almost 3K per month and for a 15 year old model, without any promotion, that is a feat.

Its a cash cow for Hyundai and on many occasions, it matches the Old i10.

Doesn't make business sense to retire the Santro.

Would be better to give better interiors, some minor external upgrades and let in continue till it dies a natural death!!
Well, if you continue to sell a 15 yr old car just because it sells, how are you going to manage to get more business for the newer variants.

In a way, Santro is possibly cannibalizing the i10 or i10 Grande.

Eventually, Hyundai would want to get more of their potential customers to the newer cars and up sell their current-gen portfolio. Better profit margin perhaps?

Plus, I think Hyundai is in a comfortable enough position in the Indian market to not worry about discontinuing Santro.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 23:27   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Having driven FIL's 1st gen circa 2000 Santro (the flat back model. With him being 2nd owner)for countless long journeys I can always vouch for its reliability and practicality. He since changed to a new next gen i10 and the Santro still does duty in a related family without complaint. Always gets her fair part of discussions and nostalgia. A sweet car.

We don't love the brand new i10 like we loved the Santro. I suspect that I'll have company in this. :
Well couldn't put this in better words. I own both an i10 and santro. While the former is a brilliant and very capable vehicle in its own right, my wife and I both love driving Santro more. My better half often complains that she found santro's space, ride qualify and tall boy stance much better than i10. Can't disagree with her.
rattanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 13:04   #23
BHPian

The Santro is a very comfortable and spacious car. No point comparing i10 with santro. The I10 may have better interiors but the santro is comfortable. But do you have any idea about Hyundai discontinuing the Santro in other countries? Or is it just India-specific? The Santro is a hot favourite in many European and Arab countries. Hyundai should have given a minor facelift/engine upgrade, as Maruti did with the 800/alto. The car is still extant. Discontinuing a popular model hurts customer sentiments. The Santro still sells in large numbers in India.
The Santro was their flagship model in India that came in at a time when cars like 800, Matiz, UNO, Indica were the only cars being sold in India. The Santro defined luxury in the small car segment then.
Let's bid adieu to the great vehicle.
adit mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 17:16   #24
BHPian

This is a very sad news indeed. I recently became a proud owner of a Hyundai Santro and I am absolutely in love with it. Now the dread of unavailable spares have started gripping me. Hope Hyundai continues the service and support for quite a long while. Attaching a picture of my steed.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai to end Santro production-img_2807.jpg  

cunnuvila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 18:10   #25
BHPian

Maybe this decision has something to do with all the media buzz about popular cars failing safety standards. The Santro with that 15 year old body design is not as structurally safe a newer i10 would be.

Preemptive action, maybe?
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 18:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

16 years and counting. I think it is about time some of these "old" designs were shut down. This goes for the Scorpio too - 15 years odd. Time for a curtain call.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 18:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunnuvila View Post
This is a very sad news indeed. I recently became a proud owner of a Hyundai Santro and I am absolutely in love with it. Now the dread of unavailable spares have started gripping me. Hope Hyundai continues the service and support for quite a long while. Attaching a picture of my steed.
You can be assured of parts being available for the next 7 years (If I am not mistaken that's what is mandated by law)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
Maybe this decision has something to do with all the media buzz about popular cars failing safety standards. The Santro with that 15 year old body design is not as structurally safe a newer i10 would be.

Preemptive action, maybe?
Could be a possibility!
blackasta is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 18:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
16 years and counting. I think it is about time some of these "old" designs were shut down. This goes for the Scorpio too - 15 years odd. Time for a curtain call.
Unless there was a structural drawback, why is it a necessity to discontinue just based on age?
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 19:13   #29
D4D
BHPian

Santro was the car that made it big for hyundai. Just like the qualis did it for Toyota.
An brilliant car when it was launched, far ahead of the bare-bones M800 and Zen. Also more refined than the Indica. I feel the production should have stopped when eon was launched. The i10 was the international replacement, but Santro sold alongside it in India.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 22:40   #30
BHPian

First it was Maruti 800 , then the Hindustan Ambassador and now it is Hyundai Santro !!!
How ironic is it that the 3 cars that defined the Indian markets, ruled the Indian Roads, won a Billion Indian Hearts by their and last but not the least , stood as the Flagship for their Manufacturers hit the sack in the very same year .
poised2drive is offline   Reply With Quote