Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st December 2014, 06:07   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Fun Factor: Polo GT TSI or Octavia 1.8 TSI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post
Gentlemen,
Thank you very much for your valued inputs in helping me arrive to a decision. I have gone ahead and booked myself an Octavia 1.8 TSI. None of .
A paddle shift steering unit is big time on my wishlist. Any ideas where can I source it at reasonable rate?
Congratulations, for paddle shift you can try vagtune.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-pg-5-a-5.html (Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5))
B747 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 21:49   #122

Default Polo GT TSi OR Skoda Laura 1.8 TSi - Which one?

Okay so this is my first post on TBHP! Feels great to finally actually post something

I just moved to Gurgaon for work and am looking to buy a car for myself. I want a mod friendly TSI engined car. Obviously, that narrows my options down to the Polo GT TSI and a (used) Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI.

I live alone, so boot size, rear leg room and other things do not matter. What I really need, though, is a fun to drive, mod friendly, reliable, and comfortable car for my daily commute (which is about 7KM in total). But also one that I can take on the open highway and not face any issues (or boredom).

Here is my list of pros and cons for both cars:

Polo GT TSI:
Pros:
Fun to drive hatch with an amazing DSG gearbox.
Its a smaller car - so it's easier to maneuver in Gurgaon's chaotic traffic.
Long list of features - enough to keep me entertained for a few years

Cons:
The reliability of the DSG gearbox is questionable. I intend on modding the car so I will definitely lose the warranty.
Nothing like a good old school manual
I'll have to take a loan.
Limited choice of colors

Skoda Laura
Pros:
Well documented mod-ability. It's even fun to drive stock.
Great handling, ride
Big car
Manual

Cons:
Skoda After sales
I will have to buy used. Very difficult to find a good used car in the NCR region - I've been trying for over a month.
Expensive spares

I've been closely following robimahanta and prithwi-81's threads on both their cars and quite honestly, at some level, have decided to go with Polo. But it would be great to get insights from the gurus here and get thoughts/arguments on both sides.

Look forward to your responses.

Thanks!
sarvatron is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 00:05   #123
BHPian

Default Re: Polo GT TSi OR Skoda Laura 1.8 TSi - Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarvatron View Post
I just moved to Gurgaon for work and am looking to buy a car for myself.
Welcome to Gurgaon ! Between your choices I would definitely recommend buying a VW over a Skoda. Their after sales services have horror stories with vampires and white walkers in them and a Skoda will defiantly not be economical. VW has the same excellent build quality of Skodas but better ASS (not better than Maruti or Hyundai). Also in my humble opinion a new VW car would suit you better (you never know what the old Skoda has been through) However do note the lack of rear legroom in the VW Polo. Another point - have you considered Polo TDI?

As a fellow Gurgoanite I can say that I frequently end up going to Delhi for many tasks and outings (especially). One side is about 30 kms which means you could easily be doing 100+ on a single Delhi trip. This means that if you take 4 Saturday outings in a month = 400 kms at least. If you include Sundays that figure would double plus daily commute. You would probably cross 1000 kms in a month and diesel could be a better choice. But then again, sometimes I use the metro myself so there's that ! The VW showroom in Gurgaon is on MG Road. Also, please feel free to ask anything about the city.
RocketRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 13:57   #124
BHPian

Default Re: Polo GT TSi OR Skoda Laura 1.8 TSi - Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarvatron View Post
What I really need, though, is a fun to drive, mod friendly, reliable, and comfortable car for my daily commute (which is about 7KM in total). But also one that I can take on the open highway and not face any issues (or boredom).
Based on these qualification criteria, here's how I'd rate them

1. Fun to Drive - Laura 1.8 Tsi outclasses the Polo entirely here. While the polo is fun to throw around, the comfort and fun that Petrol Laura provides is in a different league of its own. Especially when you consider the next point.
2. Mod Friendly - Laura beats polo again. While polo is extremely mod friendly, the DSG gearbox has upper limitations on the mods that can be done easily, where the 1.8 Tsi allows for multiple stages of mods all the way up to new K04 Turbo and much better braking and suspension kits available all around.
3. Reliability - Laura seems to be better than Polo. Remember this is the petrol Laura and it has fared better than its diesel counterpart. Polo GT Tsi's gearbox comes with a bad reputation on this aspect. I'm not saying it will break down, but the gearbox in Polo has a higher chance of breaking down than mechanical issues that could arise in the Laura.
4. Comfort - On the highway - Laura, city - Polo.

Again, since Laura would have to be second hand, its difficult to appraise how well its been cared for.

All in all, you wont go wrong with either of the cars. With the polo you'd probably land up thinking / dreaming once in a while that you had bought the 1.8 Laura. But while driving the Laura any thoughts such as its worthiness can easily be dismissed by quick bursts of pedal to the metal (assuming the car is in a good condition to do so)
azeemhafiz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 16:33   #125
BANNED

Default Re: 2014 Lineup: The Best Enthusiast Cars in India

You can add the soon to be launched (on road test now) VW Polo GTI 1.8 TSI to the line up.

Last edited by Parm : 26th July 2015 at 16:35.
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2015, 01:51   #126
BHPian

Posting this here instead of posting in used cars thread because the car in question is a Laura 1.8 TSI.

Model: Ambiente
Year:2009
Kilometers run:65K
No. of owners: 2
Asking price: 5.25Lakhs(Can get it down to ~5/5.10)
Colour:Black

Here is the thing.This car has been driven by an enthusiast.Make no mistake when I say that it hasn't been abused. In fact it has been pampered like a french supermodel. I have been on a lookout for a TSI from last 6~7 months and this one tops all the examples I have come across be it in/exteriors or the mechanical conditions. It looks too good to be true. I have been through all the service history and nothing popped out unusual. The mods that have been done are lowered suspensions,VRS springs,17 inch rims/rubber that look amazing,Bolero ICE,L&K steering and a K&N air filter. I know that most of the people would tell me to shy away from the deal but the car has all the mods I wish to have and that makes it an excellent value.I plan to keep the car around for 4~5 years mostly for joyrides.Maybe a stage 1 tune later in the future. So does it make sense to buy a car in such a condition where I can save plenty of money on mods? Or look for a lesser run model and spend extra money on mods?
SuperMane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2015, 22:29   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMane View Post
Posting this here instead of posting in used cars thread because the car in question is a Laura 1.8 TSI.

Model: Ambiente
Year:2009
Kilometers run:65K
No. of owners: 2
Asking price: 5.25Lakhs(Can get it down to ~5/5.10)
Colour:Black
Isnt this car shifting with dealers. The same car was earlier listed with running with 74.5k km by another dealer. Assume 878 are last three digits in the car number.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2015, 23:17   #128
Senior - BHPian

Well, rest guaranteed that the Figo/Figo Aspire will find its way to the Enthusiast list for 2015
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2015, 23:59   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Isnt this car shifting with dealers. The same car was earlier listed with running with 74.5k km by another dealer. Assume 878 are last three digits in the car number.
YES!Exactly that one.I had test driven it back in August.Since I had time till diwali to make a purchase I thought I would get a better deal. It was being sold at Khar(W) by a fellow who had another C class.Don't know if he has driven it so much after that.Have you seen it person too? What are your thoughts?
SuperMane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 13:16   #130
BHPian

Are we going to have the 2016/2017 line up of the best enthusiast cars? Searched the thread, but could not locate
wordsworth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 22:02   #131
BANNED

This thread needs to be updated for 2017. And is there any thread that compares 0-100 for all enthusiast cars in India?
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 23:42   #132
BHPian

I'm looking at upgrading from my 8 year old Fiesta S. But unable to find worthy petrol options in a 15L budget. Any suggestions pls.
SRK72 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 23:49   #133
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK72 View Post
I'm looking at upgrading from my 8 year old Fiesta S. But unable to find worthy petrol options in a 15L budget. Any suggestions pls.
Vento TSi is less than 15L OTR in Chennai
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 23:56   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Vento TSi is less than 15L OTR in Chennai
I had test driven the Vento TSI but not sure if it will be an upgrade to the Fiesta S.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st August 2017 at 06:47. Reason: Fixing quote tag
SRK72 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 23:58   #135
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK72 View Post
I had test driven the Vento TSI but not sure if it will be an upgrade to the Fiesta S.
Why not? It's faster I presume. It's built better (stronger). DSG is probably better that the Fiesta tranny. I want to know more as I am seriously considering it as my next buy.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st August 2017 at 06:50. Reason: Fixing quote tag
Pedaltothefloor is offline   Reply With Quote