Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th November 2014, 10:58   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Ridiculous Marketing Gimmicks: X amount / day, zero down, balloon payments etc.

While I appreciate the intention behind the thread, I agree with the sentiment expressed by other forum members that these gimmicks are not "evil". BMW and the others are hardly trying to "cheat" customers here.

A car is a high involvement purchase. If you are going to start thinking about buying a BMW the moment you see an ad saying you can own one for Rs 555 a day, I would say you are the fool in the old adage "A fool and his money are soon parted." Any reasonable and sane person will collect all necessary information before spending so much money.
TheLizardKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 11:34   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Ridiculous Marketing Gimmicks: X amount / day, zero down, balloon payments etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
A car is a high involvement purchase. If you are going to start thinking about buying a BMW the moment you see an ad saying you can own one for Rs 555 a day, I would say you are the fool in the old adage "A fool and his money are soon parted." Any reasonable and sane person will collect all necessary information before spending so much money.
If someone who falls for this is a fool, then what the car company does is at best an "attempt make a fool of someone", right? If not, what else? There are several examples that proves that the marketing guys are always at this. Here's another example, not from the automobile industry, though:

Remember the biscuit advertisement that claims, "honestly"? What is so honest about it when the same company is selling hundred other kind of biscuits - the very kind they are talking against in this ad?

But I agree, one has to blame himself/herself if they fall for these tricks!
prakash_ajp is offline   Reply With Quote