Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 31st January 2016, 21:15   #496
BHPian

Default Re: The Maruti Vitara Brezza Compact SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I can only hope that our buying public whets their appetite on the likes of the Ciaz SHVS, the Baleno & the S-Cross - and can then be gently persuaded to sample the Brezza AWD!
I get your point and this would the wish of all the enthusiasts. But Indian auto market is all about first impressions. MS has created an impression of producing budget, fuel efficient commuting cars over decades and are not known for performance vehicles. When people are looking for luxury and/or performance cars they just tend to look past MS which is probably the main reason for the low sales on S-Cross DDIS320. I hope this situation will change (although over time) and encourage MS to expand their image.
Old 31st January 2016, 22:17   #497
Senior - BHPian

I see a lot of excitement with the "compact SUV" trend that auto companies are coming out with.

But i am a bit skeptical. Are these really SUV's in first place or just tall hatchbacks made to look like SUV with some aesthetical elements ?

Case in point the TUV 100 (or 300 whatever). A hatchback in reality, it does not feel or drive like an SUV by any strech of imagination, yet the aesthetical enhancements make it look butch and bigger than the current lot of hatchbacks.

Kwid is another hatchback, a wannabe mini SUV.

But the point is, if the Vitara does have some substance - a higher ground clearence, a strong enough mechanics to go occasional off roading, then it might change this trend. I don't mind it prices upwards of 6 lacs, but I hope it does not turn out to be a sheep in a wolf's clothing, if you know what i mean. .
DCEite is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 22:52   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

But i am a bit skeptical. Are these really SUV's in first place or just tall hatchbacks made to look like SUV with some aesthetical elements ?

Case in point the TUV 100 (or 300 whatever). A hatchback in reality, it does not feel or drive like an SUV by any strech of imagination, yet the aesthetical enhancements make it look butch and bigger than the current lot of hatchbacks.

Kwid is another hatchback, a wannabe mini SUV.

But the point is, if the Vitara does have some substance - a higher ground clearence, a strong enough mechanics to go occasional off roading, then it might change this trend. I don't mind it prices upwards of 6 lacs, but I hope it does not turn out to be a sheep in a wolf's clothing, if you know what i mean. .
A SUV can be mainly characterized by its GC. Leave off roading, now a days we need it for regular commuting to avoid the crater sized holes that form after the first rains or public works that especially happen only after a road is freshly laid.

If the Vitara Brezza offers a high seating position and respectable GC (>180mm), it surely can be classified as a mini-SUV. And off-roading adventure without a 4x4 is not the most sensible decision one can take no matter what the car's mechanicals are. And not all who own a 4x4 do off-roading. In the end, these cars are the need of the hour. Under 4M length, respectable diesel power and ground clearance, if it comes with car like ride and handling, is it not an added plus?

BTW you are confusing KUV with the Kwid. The Kwid looks like a mini Duster but nothing more than that.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 31st January 2016 at 22:55.
SchumiFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 03:07   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
Any pictures of the rear? A tail mounted spare wheel would have made it look more butch and bigger than what it currently is.
A tail mounted spare wheel do not seem to be the case in any probability. The spy pictures shows a clean tail gate with license plate on it. I am afraid if Brezza will end up looking less butch or small in comparison to EcoSport and TUV. EcoSport gets it's character and length by merely having the tail gate mounted spare wheel.
Old 1st February 2016, 09:41   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickmano View Post
A tail mounted spare wheel do not seem to be the case in any probability. The spy pictures shows a clean tail gate with license plate on it. I am afraid if Brezza will end up looking less butch or small in comparison to EcoSport and TUV. EcoSport gets it's character and length by merely having the tail gate mounted spare wheel.
I too think that the buyers may find Brezza smaller compared to the competitor products. From the photographs, Brezza seems to be Swift with modified front and hatch. IMO, spare wheel on the hatch will be a mismatch for this size.

MSIL, we hope that Brezza is not just Swift with modified external looks.
Old 1st February 2016, 11:19   #501
BHPian

Finally, better sense has prevailed. Maruti has confirmed that the Brezza is coming in DDIS 200 90 hp configuration. There were chances of them going the Baleno way with 75hp DDIS 190 just to make sure S-Cross is not affected. Here is the link from the source.
http://indianautosblog.com/2016/02/m...-engine-213545
CarMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 11:20   #502
Senior - BHPian

They can ask slight premium over Baleno, otherwise it will end up like S-Cross.
Old 1st February 2016, 11:48   #503
BHPian

Looking at the pictures, it is seems like a very good offering. Going by the pics from the UK spec Vitara, it's going to be a runaway success.
I still don't know why MS hasn't really thought about plonking in the 1.4 petrol with the CVT from Ciaz. It'll take on Creta head-on. Even the manual petrol will find many takers.
I only hope they come with amazing levels of inventory to keep the waiting periods down. I mean, nowadays, it really doesn't please customers! Upto 30 weeks waiting on the Creta and Baleno - that's like more than half a year!
Old 1st February 2016, 12:47   #504
Senior - BHPian

Vitara is 4175 mm and has boot space of 375 liters. Let us see how much they managed in Brezza with under 4 metre length. Anything less than 250-275 litres going to be a deal breaker.
Old 1st February 2016, 13:12   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

I hope it does not turn out to be a sheep in a wolf's clothing, if you know what i mean. .
Actually these products are 'sheep in wolf's clothing' but with a few advantages. Many rural villages have roads which are still competing with surface of Mars or Moon. A weekend trip to Konkan (West coastal region of Maharashtra) was enough to convince me why I needed a car with higher ground clearance. Most of the roads are single lane and overtaking means getting two wheels off the shoulder which can scrape the under-body (which happened with my fully loaded Brio). It helps during rains as well, even a slight amount of waterlogging makes me nervous and jealous when I see an Ecosport or Duster whizzing past me

But yes, we Indians have somehow modified the definition of SUV. Recently when I was in Konkan, I met an acquaintance there driving his Duster 2WD. We had to stop on a steep incline and the surface was loose gravel (under construction ghat) with absolutely no traction. I could not take off properly due to excessive wheel spin (used hand brake as car started rolling back), but the Duster couldn't as well. A 4WD or some tech like 'hill hold' would have worked. Sadly, nothing was on offer on that car and that pains me. These manufacturers should give something apart from high ground clearance to call them SUV.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 13:18   #506
BHPian

Well, the manufacturers, at least ford called the ecosport as an urban SUV. Which was meant to tackle the situations just like you guys have mentioned. But the urban tag has been ripped off lately.
Old 1st February 2016, 13:28   #507
Senior - BHPian

Looks really nice, waiting for the official unveil now. There is also news of Hyundai developing a similar sub 4m 'SUV' positioned below the Creta. The sub-10 lakh segment is getting fiercer by the day!

If the news reports are to be believed, it seems the Brezza will go to the 'regular' Maruti dealerships as they also want a piece of the action now. What beats me though is that most of the existing dealerships set up separate Nexa showrooms, how are they losing out on revenue! Add to that the sales figures of all the Maruti models selling through the regular dealerships, Nexa is eons behind. I hope Maruti launches this through the Nexa showrooms, initially at least. They can bring it to regular showrooms by way of catering to the 'demand' later if it becomes a hit.
Old 1st February 2016, 13:48   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsdileep View Post
Here is the Vitara Brezza...looks stunning...!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Hats off to you for finding this! You have unofficially unveiled the Vitara Brezza.
Yes in deed, Malaysian auto portal paultan has revaled the Brezza pictures on their website, guess where did they get them from???

From TeamBHP, the whole world reads TeamBHP , proud to be part of this forum. Hatsoff to thatsdileep

Kudos to paulton.org for crediting TeamBHP, very ethical.

"Last week, the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza – which will be making its world debut at the 2016 Auto Expo in Greater Noida, India on February 3 – was teased in a video, where the front end of the B-segment SUV was revealed. Now, the first official images of the Brezza have come about, the vehicle breaking cover on Indian automotive website Team-BHP ahead of its premiere."

http://paultan.org/2016/02/01/maruti...images-leaked/

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 1st February 2016 at 13:52.
Karthik Chandra is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 13:56   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a chance to check out the Vitara Brezza in the flesh over the weekend. My cellphones were confiscated, so apologies for no pictures.

Impressions:

1) Almost same dimensions as the EcoSport, but looks a wee bit longer from the side. (no doubt due to the missing spare wheel)
2) It is a definite looker from all angles, specially from the front. The chrome bar in front actually compliments the car quite nicely.
3) Interiors are definitely upmarket, except for the same "shared" steering wheel.
4) Dashboard is sleek and has a modern look but with hard plastics. Head Unit is quite smooth to operate.
5) Front seat space is similar to the Baleno, with bolstered headroom.
6) Rear seat is more spacious than the cramped one in the EcoSport. Can fit 3 in better.
7) Generous boot space. Should be 300+ liters.
8) Body panels are light. Did the "Thumb" test (pressing thumb on outer door panels & front/rear quarter panels) and the panels went in, so it failed this test.
9) Doors close with a muted "thunk". No "thud" present.
10) The white shade doesn't do justice to the curves of this car. It looks much better in Red & Blue (as seen in the scoop pictures).
11) Wheel wells are huge, and they make the 215-sections look puny inside them.
12) Lovely alloy design - one of the best in modern cars, IMO.
13) Popped up the engine hood and the familiar "DDiS" badge jumped out. Birdie confirms it's the 89 HP/200 Nm one.
14) Cranked up the engine on standstill and the engine thrum was quite controlled, in comparison to the Swift diesels. Slight vibration felt on the steering wheel & on the ABC pedals, though.
15) Dual colour shades will be initially made-to-order, as per birdie.
16) I am told that the weight of the Brezza is roughly ~1100 kgs, but the car doesn't feel like it. Should be at least 100 kilos lesser, easily, if not more.
17) Expected pricing to be between 7 lacs - 10.5 lacs, ex-showroom Delhi.

Overall, I think this is the definitive EcoSport killer. Worrying times ahead for the TUV, Creta, Duster/Terrano twins, etc.

Given a choice, I would prefer the Brezza over the Baleno/Swift/DZire, even.

A fresh, dynamic design with contemporary features and the legendary "S" badge - the Brezza is a more complete package than any other offering in it's segment. Add to that a killing price, and Maruti-Suzuki has a new sales bestseller to add to it's ranks.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 1st February 2016 at 14:03.
RavenAvi is offline   (83) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 14:01   #510
BHPian

Lightbulb Re: The Maruti Vitara Brezza Compact SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolman View Post
. . .
[b]Kind of realized, in all likelihood, Maruti Suzuki has a winner on hands.
. . .
My calculated estimates peg this one to be in the range of 5.29 - 7.99 lakh rupees Ex-SRP Bengalooru

Someone will have to convince me hard as to why the Brezza will NOT peak at 8,000+ copies per month, 3 months from launch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
They can ask slight premium over Baleno, otherwise it will end up like S-Cross.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Looks brilliant, for a Maruti! If only they offered a Coupe version...

What is the expected pricing on this Mates?
Maruti Suzuki in most likelihood will offer the Vitara Brezza in the range of Baleno diesel prices (Petrol variant is out of the equation now)
  • Brezza has to be priced competitively,
    • but cannot be economically priced - needs to be costlier than the Swift
    • but cannot be expensively priced - cannot rob Baleno of its premium-ness
  • Pricing it around the Baleno (which is about 40K more than the Swift) will help retain the distinction between Maruti Suzuki (Brezza) and Nexa (Baleno)
  • And if they are going to plonk the 89 BHP DDiS as reported this week (which isn't featuring in the Baleno yet), then it gets very very tricky!
Offering Brezza with both diesel engine options (74 BHP and 89 BHP DDiS) and keeping it in the range of 6.2L - 8.9L (Ex-SRP New Delhi) would possibly work out for them as well as for us!

Last edited by Coolman : 1st February 2016 at 14:04. Reason: Pricing format corrected
Closed Thread