Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th July 2015, 19:48   #301
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Indian Taxi Revolution - Uber, Ola, TaxiforSure, Meru etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
Later on i called them and asked them to explain

3) 50 rs as call center charges.
What in the world is that? I think something is wrong with the person who gave you the info. Meru mails a detailed receipt right (If booked through App)?
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 20:29   #302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
What in the world is that?
Convenience charges.

They basically want to encourage web/app bookings over phone bookings. Running call centers is an additional expense.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 22:15   #303
Senior - BHPian

You are right. The Meru Genie site mentions, "If you book Meru through our call center, an additional convenience charge of Rs 30/- is applicable. No convenience charge applicable if you book through website or Meru Mobile App."

Man, the whole Radio Cab/Call Taxi scene is changing so rapidly!
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 13:03   #304
Senior - BHPian

A friend in hyderabad booked an Ola - and two successive drivers canceled on him before he got a third one that picked him up. This driver, when he heard my friend tell him about the cancellations, went off on an epic rant - in choice hyderabadi, interspersed with profanities that I've deleted. Quoting from his post -

"I have the Salim Pheku of Ola drivers at the moment, who's nonstop commentary is running faster than his meter. I told him he was the third driver I booked because the first two didn't show up - bas! 'Saab Ola Uber ku paagal kutta katar diya. Sab gaon as bekaar potton ku laakey driver bana diye. [an anatomical and crude expression about their being clueless] - toh roadaan kya maloom rehta? Zaroorat wallon ku gaadi nahi milta, kaiku bole toh sab peevataan ku drop hona, potton ku potiyaan ghumane ku gaadi hona.... What a star!"

Translated - "Ola and Uber seem to have got bitten by mad dogs. They're getting unemployed (and useless) youth from the villages and making them drivers - those guys don't know a thing (<- profane expression for that), what are they going to know about roads? They all want the cars to go drinking and take their girlfriends on joyrides"

"Salim Pheku" is proverbial for a guy who likes to tell tall tales. Also a character in this hyderabadi slang movie called "The Angrez" -

Last edited by hserus : 9th July 2015 at 13:19.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 14:09   #305
Senior - BHPian

Three years ago, when I was on a train from Delhi to Bangalore, I called up TaxiForSure on the evening the train pulled in to Secunderabad. I wanted a booking for the next morning. Everything went well till I said, I have luggage, which is expected as we were four adults returning from a wedding. The fun started when they said I have to pay to use to boot and the rate will depend on the numbers of pieces of luggage. The call ended there. I got off at Bangalore City station, hired a Omni and went home. Never called them for a cab service again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
But do read this blog for an interesting counter-view.
Very interesting read. Thank you for sharing.

I have to admit, as a regular user of Uber, there have been only a couple of instances where I've had to cringe due to surge pricing. I've looked at it in a different way. My wife was stuck at her work spot and it started to rain. She popped up the app to find 3.1x surge pricing. Very normal for a rainy day and that too at peak hour. It cost Rs. 260 for a ride that was no more than 6km. The decision was to have her stuck at work or getting home in one piece.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 9th July 2015 at 14:13.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 15:56   #306
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
A friend in hyderabad booked an Ola - and two successive drivers canceled on him before he got a third one that picked him up.
That happened to me last night. Had gone out with an old friend and on the return trip, 3 separate drivers accepted my ride but I had to cancel all of them before a fourth finally worked out. Here's the story:

Driver #1:
I fired up the Ola app for my friend who needed to be dropped in another direction from where I was going. I had booked a Uber for myself. Shockingly the same driver responded to both app calls!

The Indian Taxi Revolution - Uber, Ola, TaxiforSure, Meru etc.-ola.pngThe Indian Taxi Revolution - Uber, Ola, TaxiforSure, Meru etc.-uber.png
He called me and I hadn't realised that the same guy had responded to both my app calls till he mentioned it himself. I started laughing and asked him why he had done it; guy didn't have an explanation. Anyway he asked me to cancel the Uber booking "because Ola payment is in cash" and I flatly refused. He ended up taking my friend to his destination "because it was closer to home" (for him not me!) It was too late to argue so I left it at that, though am taking it up seriously with Uber customer care after rating that moron a 1/5*

Driver #2:
After cancelling the first Ola booking, requested an Ola in different category so that the same moron doesn't respond again . This time another guy promptly accepted. He was showing just 3 minutes away, stationary, so I called him. And called again. And again. No response for nearly 5 minutes. Was he asleep? No idea. Cancelled this ride as well.

Driver #3:
Irritation mounting, placed another request on the app. This time a 3rd driver accepted, 4 minutes away. Answered my call too (yay!) and I told him to come pick me up. His response was precious: "Not now, I'm having my dinner" I lost my cool and let loose a torrent of PG13 language to the effect of, "What the hell were you thinking accepting a request if you didn't want to come?" Hung up and tried again.

Driver#4:
Accepted, reached the spot within minutes and dropped me home without so much as a murmur. I rated him 5* on the Ola app.

Epilogue:
Ola customer care called me after I had reached home, changed and was warm in bed. I cut the call. Maybe they were curious about the serial cab-requester. It shall remain an unsolved mystery!
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 02:11   #307
BHPian

All these app-based cab services have managed to do something revolutionary. They have changed our behavior. A couple of years ago, booking a cab was by calling one of your regular taxi guys (still a very common affair in smaller towns and rural areas) or at max, call the call-taxi guy. But then, technology intervened. Smartphones, 3G connectivity with some real smart thinking gave birth to the new culture in cab booking - app-based booking. Today no one calls for a taxi - do we? They have successfully managed to change the way a generation thinks and it is a great achievement.

Now, the problem is, they have fed you with all the convenience + offers making the usage of cabs a very profitable, comfortable and convenient method of travel - almost replacing auto-rickshaws in many towns leading them to protest the presence of app-based cabs. They have made us used to cabs, so much so that someone who would NEVER have thought of hiring a cab two years back is talking about how app-based cabs and self-driven rental cars has replaced his daily drive. Now, how is that a problem? Isn't that a great benefit to us?

I am not sure how many of us understand the economics behind most such ventures. I believe, I have some basic understanding and I am trying to share that here. Experts, please correct me if I am wrong.

Most such companies (fashionably called start-ups) like TaxiForSure, Ola are funded by various venture capitalists. They invest in ideas and based on the potential of the ideas more and more people come in and pour more money. All with the calculation and hope that, ONE DAY, they will be able to get returns. The fact is, they create a market and a good customer base giving deals and offers in the initially. Due to this, most of the companies run on loss initially and for a considerable period - remember, this is not their money, it is the investor's. The business running on loss will go on for a while until one of the points is reached -

1. They don't get any more investors to pump money - This is what happened to TaxiForSure just after the Uber Delhi rape inciident??
2. Investor's start pushing them for returns - Reminds of Housing.com??

At this point, usually, most companies are left with little or no cash unless they have had a solid sustainable model which was building the bank balances on one side when the investments were happening on the other. If they have not been so smart, they are left with 2 options -

1. Cut the deals, increase prices, decrease incentives to partners, charge the customer for all the convenience that was given in the past and present - Reminds of Ola's current situation??

2. Sell off the company to a competitor and exit the business or worse still go bankrupt - Remember how TaxiForSure was forced to sell off to Ola??

The second option is usually the exit-strategy employed by companies that has no more investors and worse still, no money left to even pay their employees.

Coming back, the problem is that it looks like the honey-moon period is over for the likes of Ola where they now need to show returns and profits or they are starting to build their balances to repay the investors in the future - this is the right time with very less competition.

Of course as customers, if we still choose to go with Ola and likes, we might end up slowly paying up what we saved in the initial days - this is because they have made us so used to the convenience of their service.

However, if we customers choose to come out of the comfort zone OR worse, if a new service provider with loads of investment backup comes to the market and undercuts Ola, things might turn bitter for Ola and they might have to employ their own exit-strategy.
Vigkey is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 07:29   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

I have not had chance to use app based Auto rickshaw service but I've heard that it is reasonably good. Anyone here tried AutoNCab? Currently running in Gurgaon only

This will make further case of divestment in inner / intra city commute assets.

Last edited by sudev : 10th July 2015 at 07:31.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 09:40   #309
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone availed the Taxi For Sure Nano services? I have tried so many times, but some issue or the other. Out of it, recently I got down at the railway station and was surprised to find a Nano available. I confirmed the ride and ETA was 9 mins. The driver never turned up, nor called nor did he receive my call. I waited for a few mins and grabbed an auto home. On the way, the booking still showed that he is going to arrive but nothing happened.

Finally when I reached home, I cancelled the booking and that's it. Didn't even receive any message or mail or stuff. Totally pathetic service.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 13:23   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
I have not had chance to use app based Auto rickshaw service but I've heard that it is reasonably good. Anyone here tried AutoNCab? Currently running in Gurgaon only

This will make further case of divestment in inner / intra city commute assets.
No but ola auto has worked fairly well. They wont come for short haul trips though - 5 km ++ and they're there immediately.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 10:43   #311
Senior - BHPian

Uber to resume accepting card payments in India http://techcrunch.com/2015/07/12/ret...stic/?ncid=rss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCrunch
The company has teamed up payment processor MobiKwik to resume card payments in accordance with regulations from the Reserve Bank of India which require two-factor authentication for when a cardholder is not presented physically. In addition, the integration with MobiKwik expands Uber’s support to allow payments via debit card, that’s something that isn’t usually covered by the U.S. firm.

Uber’s mobile wallet — supplied by Alibaba-backed payment firm Paytm — allows customers to load balance into their dedicated account via debit/credit card, cash or internet banking, but it meant keeping an ongoing float to use the service. While it did remove the barrier of needing to own a credit card, which can prevent some from using Uber’s service, the setup was criticized by some for being cumbersome and slower than Uber’s usual cashless payment system. Reinstating card payments, which is initially just for Android device owners but will come to iOS “in the coming weeks”, brings back the simpler payment flow that Uber is well known for worldwide.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th July 2015 at 19:45. Reason: Removing unwanted bits + posting an excerpt from the article.
Old 13th July 2015, 18:10   #312
BHPian

Apparently there was an incident a few days back in NCR (where else) about a cab driver who masturbated while driving!! . I came across this incident on FB as the article had been shared by a friend & fellow BHPian. The passenger was a young lady who was being dropped home. The Driver held the steering in one hand & the gear stick in the other but used the gear stick more than the steering
Thankfully she reached home safely although a bit shaken & disgusted. High time the Govt takes strict actions against such people & these Cab Cos.
coolrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 18:37   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

OT but step back and think can government really do something about deviant people? How will you screen? As it is there is big hullabaloo when ever action is taken against anyone. It's given communal or caste colours at drop of the hat.

Again she saw him doing this for twenty km (her interview in one paper). I know that road and there are three police points plus a Toll Plaza that is always having queue of minimum ten twenty vehicle in each gate. Then at least two sector markets have to be crossed. Why she stuck to the cab? Why not abandon or seek help. Foolish.

Then also she asked / let him drop at her site step. Further foolishness.

We are responsible for our safety environment. On all accounts she failed.

Please do not take this negatively but think and discuss with your female family members. How should they guard and be aware.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 15:39   #314
Senior - BHPian

In such a case if the cab was booked through an app that provides a panic button she should have used it and gotten down from the car. Ideally somewhere near passers by / policemen

http://www.thehindu.com/features/met...cle7417318.ece

Talks about good ola / uber etc cabbies (such as those that wait patiently during late night drops till the flat watchman opens the gate for the reporter) and bad cabbies (a drunk TFS driver on complaining about whom, TFS sent back a templated apology and a coupon for Rs. 150, other drivers who keep trying to steer a japanese expat to tourist trap souvenir shops etc - besides the "drives like a south indian movie star, one arm outside the window and honking in beat to loud music on the cab stereo" variety of guy).

http://www.thehindu.com/features/met...cle7417318.ece

Last edited by Samurai : 14th July 2015 at 15:48.
Old 14th July 2015, 16:01   #315
Senior - BHPian

Great points Vigkey ! Maybe all the talk about a bubble is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
However, if we customers choose to come out of the comfort zone OR worse, if a new service provider with loads of investment backup comes to the market and undercuts Ola, things might turn bitter for Ola and they might have to employ their own exit-strategy.
A new startup has already entered the market in a more organized way !

http://inc42.com/buzz/ola-uber-faile...he-delhi-govt/

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 14th July 2015 at 16:02.
faithless_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote