Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th November 2014, 14:04   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Proposal to ban 15 year old vehicles. EDIT: Concept paper released on page 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
Is it under the jurisdiction of NGT to pass such orders unilaterally?
Is the order binding on various authorities like the RTO, Delhi Police etc?
I don't know. Can anyone please throw light on the legality and jurisdiction of these orders?
Jurisdictions are always a vague area in our part of the world. Anyone can come up with decisions. There are hardly any properly set boundaries. Obviously later in the time, someone finds some British era document that tells the decision was actually made by an office without authority to pass it. Then there are usual red-tape steps.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 14:11   #47
BHPian

Default re: Proposal to ban 15 year old vehicles. EDIT: Concept paper released on page 18

Am I seeing something more ? The timing of this proposal is wonderful! An year end is coming ,when the car manufacturers usually try hard to clear the inventory. Implement a law like this and the inventory is clean!!!.
commonman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 15:55   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Had to happen; here is the consequence, they aren't going anywhere; people can relax.
So why would they create panic when they can't do anything in the first place, morons!

And I read this in the newspaper that they would've simply towed 15+ year old vehicles away without even owner consent. My instant thought was, how on earth would they have concluded that the vehicle was 15+ years old, its not that there is central database for every vehicle in the country, bunch of jokers!!
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 16:52   #49
BHPian

Silly Billies. Reminds me of the words "One pill makes you small and the other...".
I would love to get my hands on the pills they were popping when they thought up of this rule. Sky High
On the flip side, they definitely made another way for the officials to earn extra money. Whatever said and done, there are elements who will pay, and others who will receive and to them one more method of earning more money to buy the pink pill.
Having said that, the impact this will have on the green environment has not been thought through. You are forcing people to discard vehicles after 15 years which will undoubtedly be used for scrap and then the cost of scrapping, reprocessing etc. Also pilferage of scrapped parts to be re utilized in the secondary market. Who would maintain the inventory etc. Looks to me that it would become more of a headache after all
subraiyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 17:26   #50
BHPian

Another of those silly rulings....If pollution is the issue, then there is already law in place specifying the acceptable emission levels. As far as the law is adhered to, there is no justification in crucifying common man.
MSAneesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 17:58   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

It's the car manufacturers who are collectively behind this move. It's a well known fact that they've been lobbying for the same since a while now. Truth is, they've actually been pushing for 10 year old vehicles too.

Car makers expect that a ban on 15+ year old vehicles will overnight create demand for new cars. While this may be true to some extent, it's foolhardy to expect every owner of a 15+ year old car to buy a new ride as a replacement.

On the other hand, if one state ever passes such a rule, a few others will follow. Modern cars are becoming increasingly durable and car manufacturers hope to reduce the lifespan of new cars in this manner.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 18:20   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys,

It's the car manufacturers who are collectively behind this move. It's a well known fact that they've been lobbying for the same since a while now. Truth is, they've actually been pushing for 10 year old vehicles too.

Car makers expect that a ban on 15+ year old vehicles will overnight create demand for new cars. While this may be true to some extent, it's foolhardy to expect every owner of a 15+ year old car to buy a new ride as a replacement.

On the other hand, if one state ever passes such a rule, a few others will follow. Modern cars are becoming increasingly durable and car manufacturers hope to reduce the lifespan of new cars in this manner.
Will the electorate rise up and pressure politicians to relent or does this outrageous proposed regulation actually have a serious chance to become a reality?
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 18:30   #53
BHPian

This is really stupid move by the Govt. of Delhi.

It's impossible for us to discard or junk our mint conditioned old cars just like that... Its utterly ridiculous..!!

Last edited by embee : 28th November 2014 at 18:34.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 19:22   #54
Senior - BHPian

Any suggestions on some steal deals that might be possible due to this new law? No exotics since the destination would likely be a tier 2/3 town.

I see the small car sales in areas around Delhi taking a slight slump in case this is implemented since the potential small car buyers would get much better cars at throw-away prices from Delhi, making them go for these instead of shelling out 3 lakhs on a tin can.

Last edited by zenren : 28th November 2014 at 19:26.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 19:44   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thank you!

Government's job is to ensure non-polluting vehicles stay off the road, vehicles ill-maintained and not fit to ply on roads remain off the road etc.

But till the time businessmen run the country we would continue to see such ridiculous laws being proposed and implemented. I guarantee though, people will still use 15+ year old cars, just that they'd have to stack some "extra tax" when they get pulled over.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 19:48   #56
BHPian

Yes, the car manufacturers are lobbying for such type of ban. Their hope is to create artificial demand and increase sale. But from environment perspective also we need look at the issue. The pollution in the cities are increasing and some regulation at the earliest is needed.

I don't think banning cars above certain years will resolve the issue. Instead they can fix pollution norms and certification at any recognized center. If any vehicle emission is above specified level, then the owner to be fined heavily. This must cover all vehicles on the road - commercial, buses, private cars etc.
AshBabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 22:30   #57
BHPian

If I am not wrong, this rule was already there. It was just lying dormant, waiting for the car companies to unite get it enforced by the government. As everyone in this thread stated, its a sales tactic, a major one. And if applied seriously, might create a lot of problems to the owners of these 15 year old cars.
I got my M800 exchanged for Maruti Ertiga early this year. I still feel that that 20 year old M800 was more sturdier and durable than this thin sheet bodied modern Maruti. It took all the pain but never showed its back to me. All it asked for was timed maintenance and there you go! I was emotionally attached to it.
4k_jz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 22:56   #58
BHPian

Does this new rule mean that any car gets down to zero value in 15 years??? A high end car like a RR or a Bently or anycar for that matter , has a 15 year life span and get to zero value? Confusing. Imagine the rate tariffs of normal cabs and also luxury cabs, if they are to recover their value, road taxes running costs and profit in !% yrs, sure will cost more than flying or helihopping.
A normal middleclass family buys a car like an once in a life oppertunity and as the kids start college the vehicle is zero valued and they have to invest in another. Is this possible?
Best will be to have stricter pollution norms and to curtail fuel adultration at all possible points in supply chain
Mohammed4rmhyd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 23:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

I personally feel that it's the car manufacturers who are behind this move, who've been pushing govt to pass such a rule for quite some time.
And considering that our govt is so stupid( sub 4m cars rule etc), I won't be surprised if they implement it across India. But will it really solve their issue?? Where will all the cars go?? That will further worsen the condition.

The only viable solution can be making stringent PUC norms, and ensuring that only those vehicles ply on road which pass it genuinely.
I see no reason why a well maintained 15 year old car should be abandoned just because of some stupid law. Its high time the Govt wakes up and takes some sensible decisions and not stupid ones like these. There are many ways of decreasing pollution, which are often overlooked. Decreasing fuel adulteration, bettering public transport facilities etc are some ways which can drastically improve situations.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2014, 00:15   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
For Vintage cars:

My solution: Tax these cars. If a guy is rich enough to maintain a Vintage car, he's rich enough to pay a tax.
So isn't the 'Green tax' (for whatever?) we're being made to pay in most states sufficient yet?
For all the tax we pay, we haven't had one city with decent roads everywhere (though a few come close)
How about banning the R & B or whatever dept. is incharge of building the so-called roads?
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote