Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st December 2014, 11:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: An overdose of LEDs & Projectors on new cars?

I hear DRL overdose and immediately old i20 comes to mind. OMG, it looks like cheap after-market DRL. So garish, harsh and blinding even in daylight. And in evening, it hides the entire car behind that glare. Couldn't they make it softly lit? I hope new i20 is different.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 12:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I hear DRL overdose and immediately old i20 comes to mind. OMG, it looks like cheap after-market DRL. So garish, harsh and blinding even in daylight. And in evening, it hides the entire car behind that glare. Couldn't they make it softly lit? I hope new i20 is different.
In the above retrospective, the Elite i20 lacks DRLs in all variants.
rohansachar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 12:29   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
In the above retrospective, the Elite i20 lacks DRLs in all variants.
The Indian model i.e. The ones abroad do have them. Besides, the test-mule of the crossover based on the Elite i20 spotted, have been confirmed to have the projectors and LED DRLs.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 12:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
As everyone here knows, DRLs are used in countries where it is mandatory to have them (read, as a safety feature) and where it is quite common to have foggy conditions. So, the basic purpose is safety.

However, in India, safety is the last reason of having DRLs on cars. The one and only reason for which Indians buy cars with DRLs or after market fit them is Cosmetic purpose. Nothing else.

Heck, I can bet; 95% of car owners with DRLs on their cars won't be aware of their actual use. Its the "Achha dikhta hain" purpose which is served here.

And the worst of the lot? The outgoing model of i20. So garish! Hyundai just over killed it. Attracting attention unnecessarily, nothing else.

-Bhargav
+1 on that. DRL in Indian Condition is not needed with only exception being the winter season of North where fog is there. Also I feel that rather than blindly implementing the western country model , we should try to educate the driver's first. Most of the drivers while driving through tunnel turn on their warning hazard light ( blinking turn indicators). Also as far as car maker goes they save cost by keeping it standard across their domestic sales and export sales.
saurabhkum is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 14:44   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I disagree that DRLs are of no use - I would consider them useful in any country. India is a vast country with varying climates, and I would rather we have DRLs to cover all bases. I would be glad to own DRL-enabled vehicles, as I've seen how much easier it is to notice distant vehicles on the highway when they have their headlights on during the day.

I agree with the garish looking DRLs on the previous i20. However, the new Skoda Octavia shows how OEMs should implement it - a clean and classy light strip that adds to the vehicle aesthetics rather than detract from it.
arunphilip is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 17:43   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: An overdose of LEDs & Projectors on new cars?

LEDs and projectors were first seen on the premium and luxury cars. So there was a certain richness and premiumness that was associated with it. Cheap imitation products may have flooded the market with everything from Autos to Tata Aces sporting them. But none of these cheap imitations have come anywhere close to the sheer class and quality of the OE lights on the premium brands if you ask me.

Coming to the utility part, DRLs do have utility in terms of better visibility of our car for other road users. I find cars with DRLs easier to spot in my rear view mirror especially while driving on the highway. My Laura came with DRL halogen bulbs that were deactivated from the factory. I got them activated with the help of the VCDS cable. I wanted some more bling so imported a set of error free LEDs from Superskoda . I like the fact the the LEDS sit in OE housing and do not give a very aftermarket feel.

Santoshbhat is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 19:23   #22
BHPian

The quest for efficiency is irreversible and there is no escape from the new technologies.
Sometimes the stock halogen lighting in some car models are inadequate for night driving and retrofitting a HID projector is a good solution, better that fitting off-road lighting to compensate the lack of illumination from the stock arrangement. However like any other job, the fit/ finish and quality affects the final outcome. Badly aligned/ adjusted HID lights can be a PITA to other drivers on the road.
LED technology is still evolving and hopefully more useful LED lights will replace the HID systems of the present, when they become more affordable.
As for the DRLs, its a matter of common sense when/ where to use it. Unfortunately we also depend on the sense of the other drivers sharing the road with us. So some people want to be "visible" at all times.
And there are the ones who are looking for a bit of bling by adding the DRLs.
jfxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 20:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Good timing. The DRLs in my Fiesta (added an year ago) was removed when I replaced the bumper and I was looking at it this morning and wondering if it was worth fitting it again.

Let's face it, whatever be the REAL use of DRLs and it's benefits, 90% of the aftermarket DRLs (including the one I added) are just for the looks.

Now there's just too much cheap bling on the road on anything and everything. I don't want my car to be part of the bling herd :P The moment a Omni Bus or Tata Ace has your mod, you just don't want it :P

The Premium cars with integrated LEDs are still neat except for the Jag X J/F which was blinding at times.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 21:21   #24
BHPian

DRLs are Active safety devices which are of use in all conditions, clear bright day-light or dark, as they make drivers aware of other automobiles, whether in the rear view or coming from the opposite directions, and avoid accidents.

In the European Union, there have been numerous studies which show that DRLs make drivers more aware of vehicles, and avoid accidents. They are used all across the EU, be it on extremely bright summer days in the lower parts of the EU, or be it Scandinavia.

More information can be found on the European Commission website (Link1, Link2). In Link 1, particularly refer to the PDF called Intermediate Report 2 which quantifies the effects of DRLs. The TNO (Org. of Applied Scientific Research) which is based in Eindhoven, where I incidentally did my Doctorate has been instrumental in the EU studies on DRLs, together with SVOK, which is another Dutch organization.

Similarly, Projectors are technical advances in head lamps which control the throw of light and are therefore enable a safer drive.

While I agree with those who mention some of the aftermarket attachments as being very bright, and overdone, I think they ensure the visibility and notice of the vehicle. Some however are too bright and can cause discomfort to other drivers, defeating their purpose.
PVPal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 22:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPal View Post
DRLs are Active safety devices which are of use in all conditions, clear bright day-light or dark, as they make drivers aware of other automobiles, whether in the rear view or coming from the opposite directions, and avoid accidents.

In the European Union, there have been numerous studies which show that DRLs make drivers more aware of vehicles, and avoid accidents. They are used all across the EU, be it on extremely bright summer days in the lower parts of the EU, or be it Scandinavia.

More information can be found on the European Commission website (Link1, Link2). In Link 1, particularly refer to the PDF called Intermediate Report 2 which quantifies the effects of DRLs. The TNO (Org. of Applied Scientific Research) which is based in Eindhoven, where I incidentally did my Doctorate has been instrumental in the EU studies on DRLs, together with SVOK, which is another Dutch organization.

Similarly, Projectors are technical advances in head lamps which control the throw of light and are therefore enable a safer drive.

While I agree with those who mention some of the aftermarket attachments as being very bright, and overdone, I think they ensure the visibility and notice of the vehicle. Some however are too bright and can cause discomfort to other drivers, defeating their purpose.
I completely agree with you. No matter how cheap they may look, or aftermarket they are, they tend to grab your attention, increasing the visibility of rider/driver. Which in India is a boon, as any safety feature is a help for both driver and pedestrians.
vikast_ap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 07:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Other annoying thing these days is, every premium bike(Harley,Kawasaki,Yamaha) owner keep their headlights on in bright day light. Guess the owners feel Day light+ Headlights on= Premium Bike. These days Hero Honda Splendour rider also has started imitating the same. Heights of Dumbness!!
You cannot turn the headlights off on a Harley. They remain on the moment you turn on ignition.

This was discussed in a different thread, about the flashing LED's especially on those scooters. They are a headache!
glenmz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 08:44   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Other annoying thing these days is, every premium bike(Harley,Kawasaki,Yamaha) owner keep their headlights on in bright day light. Guess the owners feel Day light+ Headlights on= Premium Bike. These days Hero Honda Splendour rider also has started imitating the same. Heights of Dumbness!!
I keep my Activa's headlights ON because it makes me visible on the 3+3 lane NH-8.
I also drive on the same stretch and understand that those two-wheelers are more visible in the mirrors if they have their lights on. I make it a point to not use the high beams while riding. I use it only to mark my presence; they anyways don't light up the road.
It also lights up the tail lamp making the two wheels visible to the cars behind.

And I'm contemplating getting the Activa headlights upgraded to something like the HIDs.
The factory bulbs don't stand a chance at illuminating the road when the oncoming traffic hits their high beams in my eyes. Losers think 'High means powerful' and 'low means weak.'

I was actually thinking of getting either HID or HID with Projectors. And this is being considered ONLY for their utility and not the Bling.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 2nd December 2014 at 08:52. Reason: Proofread.
MaheshY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 08:54   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Offlate i have started getting this feeling after seeing so many vehicles sporting LED's and Projectors.
Nowadays these stuff are so easily available i was surprised to see an auto wearing projector headlamps .
I agree with fellow BHPians, that Projectors will help the night driving. The only catch is projector being an electrical item, it should have good quality control in both production and assembling (read retrofitting). Those who retrofitting should select the right lamps and install from a qualified guy otherwise it can prove fatal.

Coming to the DRL's: I would not be surprised if all the cars (including yet to launch Bajaj RE60) are having DRL's in next 2-3 years. We Indians generally opt for DRL's instead of ABS or Airbag. After seeing the so called chrome revolution (read adding chrome everywhere on cars), we are going to have DRL's in all cars. In my opinion, for India DRL's does not enhance safety.
hillsnrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 10:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
You cannot turn the headlights off on a Harley. They remain on the moment you turn on ignition.

This was discussed in a different thread, about the flashing LED's especially on those scooters. They are a headache!
Same for the Ninjas, there is no switch to turn off the lights on these bikes. The low beam is used as a DRL.
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 11:40   #30
BHPian

Add me to the list of those who get blinded almost every day by some moron with HIDs/projectors who wants to show off. Of all the reasons I have had fights with other drivers, this has to be #1 by a big margin.

I remember this one time when the guy touched the day/light button on his IRVM and asked me "Tumhare paas yeh hai na?" (translated: You have this right?) I was so p*ssed by then I pointed to my head and said "Tumhare paas yeh hai na?" He was completely taken aback, and sped off muttering expletives.
TheLizardKing is offline   Reply With Quote