Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th December 2014, 15:16   #46
BHPian

Default Re: An overdose of LEDs & Projectors on new cars?

Okay I could live with DRL's on all vehicles saying that they improve visibility and aid in increasing road safety etc etc....but really there is no reason to fit HID kits to cars that otherwise don't come with Xenon lights fitted from the factory as the reflectors in the first place are not designed for the aftermarket HID kits and more often than not these kits only serve the purpose of improving the aesthetic appeal of the car...but the light is scattered and does not light up the road as well as the normal Phillips H4 bulbs do therefore I would strongly recommend staying away from aftermarket conversion kits.

By doing this you will assure yours as well as others safety.
Merc_lover666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 17:49   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc_lover666 View Post
Okay I could live with DRL's on all vehicles saying that they improve visibility and aid in increasing road safety etc etc....but really there is no reason to fit HID kits to cars that otherwise don't come with Xenon lights fitted from the factory as the reflectors in the first place are not designed for the aftermarket HID kits and more often than not these kits only serve the purpose of improving the aesthetic appeal of the car...but the light is scattered and does not light up the road as well as the normal Phillips H4 bulbs do therefore I would strongly recommend staying away from aftermarket conversion kits.

By doing this you will assure yours as well as others safety.
Agree, HIDs + reflectors is a bad combo; they may also impact reflector chroming due to high temperatures. With projectors though it's a different case as they need that kind of intensity to manage the throw

Another annoying thing about HID/LEDs is lack of governance around colors. Though i haven't personally validated this but i am told that anything beyond 4300K isn't RTO approved

Last edited by Rajiv0909 : 6th December 2014 at 17:50.
Rajiv0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 23:51   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post

Heck, I can bet; 95% of car owners with DRLs on their cars won't be aware of their actual use. Its the "Achha dikhta hain" purpose which is served here.
This is so true!! People owning cars having drls on them don't know why they're there in the first place! Even I feel looks are subjective, but getting external DRLs fitted, especially the single line type looks nothing short of being tacky!! Again, this is just what I feel.
People get cars of size and fuel type without knowing what they really want! Awareness of DRLs are far fetched at times, but that not what this topic is about!!

HR.
humbleroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 13:02   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I have experienced umpteen XUV 5OO / Safari's coming on with projectors at high beam and its only when I go to high beam with my 110/100w philips rally setup do they switch to low beam, some don't care at all if neither of us can see the road and continue on high beam.
The safari Storme has projectors for the low beam, the high beams are normal clear reflectors. I guess the setup is the same in the XUV, as also the cornering lamps (clear normal reflectors). What these morons do is put high power high lux bulbs in place of the stock power halogens to give that white / blue blinding effect.

The stock bulbs are enough for our poor roads, except that one is forced to upgrade to counter these morons as you have done !
lifebuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2017, 14:43   #50
BHPian

Default Growing LED Menace on the roads

BHPians,

Off late, I am seeing a LOT of vehicles sporting LED Headlamps - NO I am not talking about the factory fitted ones which are beautifully designed and integrated within the vehicle. I am also not referring to the so called "wanna be" DRLs that are fitted to vehicles.

I am referring to the jugaad LED headlamps or bulbs that are being used rampantly in reflectors and vehicles not designed to work with LEDs. I am also referring to the aftermarket fitments that are fixed onto bikes and scooters (and even yellow board cab fronts) which have a horribly dazzling BLUISH-WHITE light that has blinded me more than a few times, leaving me in a position unable to see whats ahead on the road in front of me.

These LEDs (or the LED clusters) are horribly designed and have no directional lighting which is ideally supposed to be aimed towards the road surface. Rather, its like a bright scattered white light in your eyes that makes you blinded to anything and everything in front of you. Once, I stopped one such scooter and asked him to use normal lights and he didn't care much and simply sped away (probably cursing me).

Has anyone else encountered such blinding & dazzling LEDs?? I've seen this mostly on scooters - Activas and the like... (replacing the regular bulb in the headlight with this nuisance ) and bullets sporting these "cluster LEDs" on crash guards on either side of the driver - aimed towards the sky! I've also seen them on cabbies and autos - yes the humble single reflector on the front wheel arch of the auto - the light is so bright that I don't even recognize it as an auto initially!

What can we do to overcome this menace?

vsathyap is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2017, 15:58   #51
BHPian

Angry Re: Growing LED Menace on the roads

Agree. And I would like to add the following to the list of nuisances:
  • Strobe LED "headlight" on autorickshaws
  • Flashing red and blue LEDs - faking emergency/police vehicles
  • Green LEDs on the front that look like a green signal from afar
How to stop this? The MV rules do not allow any modifications without approval. Like everything else, we will have to wait for reforms for the laws to be effective.
mvadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2017, 16:43   #52
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Growing LED Menace on the roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Agree. And I would like to add the following to the list of nuisances:
  • Strobe LED "headlight" on autorickshaws
  • Flashing red and blue LEDs - faking emergency/police vehicles
  • Green LEDs on the front that look like a green signal from afar
How to stop this? The MV rules do not allow any modifications without approval. Like everything else, we will have to wait for reforms for the laws to be effective.
You can of course complain to the RTO / traffic police and cite vehicle numbers with photos etc. I am sure that given enough such evidence, they will be all too glad to launch a drive against this and collect a ton of money in fines, including those levied due to finding xeroxed DL, expired insurance, no FC and other things that come up during the checking after they stop the vehicle due to having unapproved LED strips.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote