Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 25th March 2017, 15:13   #541
BHPian

Default re: Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
A little disappointed by the initial reviews regarding diesel engine as that's the one I want. If it feels underpowered with 4 on board and some luggage, then I have no option but to go for Figo D Titanium.
Neither Petrol nor Diesel is impressive !!
Tata concentrated more on Fuel Efficiency part & hence the Performance of these engines is average. There is no Wow factor from these engines. Add to that, both Tiago & Tigor are heavy cars & the additional weight makes the engine feel lethargic at times. I have Tiago Diesel & just because of additional torque & better drivability I bought it over Petrol.

If one is keen on performance, be it Petrol or Diesel, I will say look somewhere else. Tigor will be a good package but it's engines will definitely leave a lot to be desired. This may be a shot in the arm for Tata, especially when Rivals have very Good Petrol & Diesel Engines.

Even though the car is likely priced lower then rivals, the average drivetrains may drive away the customers.
CarguyNish is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 20:13   #542
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Even though the car is likely priced lower then rivals, the average drivetrains may drive away the customers.
Given the price segment the Tigor will come in, the target customer is not one who is looking for too much performance.

Most in-segment buyers prefer a semi-decent point A -> point B commuter through everyday traffic (specially B2B), which can deliver good FE figures and can carry 4 in relative comfort (including the occasional 5th passenger).

And now that the NGT has put the fear of diesels in the common man, most customers are opting for the petrol models.

One of the main reasons why the petrol iterations of the Elite i20, Jazz, Figo, even the Polo sell, despite delivering lacklustre performance.

Tata has played it smart by giving the petrol some more goodies over the diesel, because they know that more sales will come from variants of that fuel type. The Tiago is currently selling at a huge 73:27 ratio in favour of the petrols, and Tata is very mindful of that.

Only problem I foresee for the Tigor is from the parent company's attitude towards it's recent offerings - demand/supply chain is skewered, and even production isn't anywhere close to the demand. This is denting the chances of success which the Tiago, then the Hexa, and now the Tigor, will have in future sales.

Tata really needs to pull up it's socks and recognise that they have some very good offerings in their ranks now, which are generating plenty of buzz and enough demand to keep them busy. It's high time they catered to the buzz and demand, and ensured that their recent launches score big at the sales box office.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 25th March 2017 at 20:14.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 20:35   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Tata has played it smart by giving the petrol some more goodies over the diesel, because they know that more sales will come from variants of that fuel type. The Tiago is currently selling at a huge 73:27 ratio in favour of the petrols, and Tata is very mindful of that.

Only problem I foresee for the Tigor is from the parent company's attitude towards it's recent offerings - demand/supply chain is skewered, and even production isn't anywhere close to the demand. This is denting the chances of success which the Tiago, then the Hexa, and now the Tigor, will have in future sales.
I agree with all the points you have mentioned.

I don't what will be others reaction, but some of my known one's disliked Tiago's Performance. Some went ahead & bought Grand i10/Celerio/WagonR while some upgraded to Swift/i20/Ignis.

Clearly they felt the engines to be shortcoming of the Tiago. Barring that, they liked Tiago very much, they will be even more impressed with Tigor.

Regarding Petrol to Diesel Sales Ratio, my dealer during 1st service mentioned that Diesel isn't selling at all. I said "Wow, How come Tata Diesel's aren't selling". His reply was, Sir Price Difference & Diesel Emission are the main reasons. We have some leftover stock since October last year.

Demand & Supply is something Tata should work on especially for thier newer products. Heard that Tiago allocation has been concentrated more for Metros. If they don't correct this soon, I see them loosing big chunks of sales. When you have good in-demand product, your supply should also be equally good. I hope Tata realises this soon.
CarguyNish is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 20:46   #544
Distinguished - BHPian

Ahead of it's much-anticipated nationwide launch on March 29th, the Tigor starts arriving at Tata dealerships around the country.

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-17458297_280161159072703_3250271509430478426_n.jpg

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-17499060_280161215739364_3690105301759153553_n.jpg

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-17424989_280161235739362_5811225142233390687_n.jpg

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-17493154_1166685406790165_2694964056406179004_o.jpg

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-17492491_1166685306790175_4176016340896637138_o.jpg

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-17505206_791480554343862_5314125597956998258_o.jpg

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-17434596_791480354343882_301884360751942824_o.jpg

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-17492503_791480481010536_5231257230092244617_o.jpg

Bhavviin Talievvar @ Facebook
Sudhaker Nagre @ Facebook
Shailender Singh Aswal @ Facebook

Also, am hearing that the Tigor diesel range will start from Rs 5.25 lakhs for the XE variant, ex-showroom Delhi.

That should put the Tigor petrol range at Rs 4.55 lakhs for the XE.
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 21:05   #545
BHPian

Angry re: Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs

Quote:
That should put the Tigor petrol range at Rs 4.55 lakhs for the XE.
Whoa! Isn't 4.55L for XE over-priced?

Tiago XE was priced at 3.20L. The difference is 1.35L. Is Tata becoming over confident? Come on, price it sensibly Tata.!
prasathlr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 21:17   #546
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post

Tiago XE was priced at 3.20L. The difference is 1.35L. Is Tata becoming over confident? Come on, price it sensibly Tata.!
Tiago XE petrol is now priced at Rs 3,79,909, ex-showroom Delhi.

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-untitled.jpg

That will put the Tigor XE petrol at roughly ~75,000 rupees above.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 25th March 2017 at 21:18.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 21:35   #547
BHPian

Quote:

Well, Tata is becoming overconfident with Tiago as it has seen numerous price hikes since launch. I had bought one for 4.19 lakhs, the same model costs 4.62 lakhs after 7 months. Unbelievable & Shocking indeed.

But, 4.55 lakhs for Tigor is acceptable, especially since it has a boot for which manufacturers charge around 70-80k on an average.

Also, if one sees low entry price point, I guess Tata will also increase the prices over time just like Tiago.
CarguyNish is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 21:40   #548
BHPian

My bad, I confused XE with XB. I thought XE was the base model. 75k over Tiago XE makes sense.
Old 25th March 2017, 22:44   #549
BHPian

Quote:
My bad, I confused XE with XB. I thought XE was the base model. 75k over Tiago XE makes sense.
XE will likely be the base variant in Tigor. Tiago has XB, but it hardly sells, I wouldn't be surprised if Tata haven't sold a unit since launch. Because it doesn't have AC, who doesn't use AC these days ? With rising temperatures, deforestation of trees & lack of adequate rain has made AC a mandatory thing for Human Survival.

Also, Tata should minimize the variants of Tigor.

Base XE, Mid XM, Top XZ should be the 3 models IMO. Even the popular XT Trim in Tiago should be given miss. This will help them manage production better & also give buyers more transparency in model grades.

A basic XE with AC, Power Steering & Central Locking along with ABS & Airbags. Mid Spec XM with additional features like Remote Locking, Power Windows, Audio System, Fog Lamps & Rear Defogger. And XZ Trim with all bells & whistles shouldn't be a bad idea.

Tata should also make ABS & Driver Airbag as mandatory unlike Tiago which offers an Option Pack.
CarguyNish is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 13:25   #550
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Given the price segment the Tigor will come in, the target customer is not one who is looking for too much performance...
C'mon, that's s wrong way of seeing the potential customers. I like the car a lot, but the engine options are a downer. So, I'll start looking for other options. If they had a 4 pot engine with better NVH (as a top spec variant), I'd have bought the Tiago / Tigor, even for a slightly premium price. TATA will lose out on such customers and unless they have it in the first place, they'd not know whether it'll be a hit. Most of the other attributes scream premium and a bad NVH can really be a turn off - if people in the metro like the Tiago, its because of the premium factor, a good engine will only accentuate it. Affordability is never an issue for this class of buyers.

PS: You, of all know they tested the 1.3 MJD extensively. They could have launched it as a true limited edition (500 units) with 6 airbags too, or may be as a proper RS version. Such things would help build the brand further.

Quote:
...Tiago XE was priced at 3.20L. The difference is 1.35L. Is Tata becoming over confident? Come on, price it sensibly Tata.!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Well, Tata is becoming overconfident with Tiago as it has seen numerous price hikes since launch...
That's what anyone & everyone does right?! They put stupendous effort in making a good car, let them enjoy some profits too. If they cant make profits on the good car, we don't get better cars from them in future. I am OK with this move.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th March 2017 at 13:29.
swiftnfurious is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 15:26   #551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
C'mon, that's s wrong way of seeing the potential customers. I like the car a lot, but the engine options are a downer.

Most of the other attributes scream premium and a bad NVH can really be a turn off - if people in the metro like the Tiago, its because of the premium factor, a good engine will only accentuate it. Affordability is never an issue for this class of buyers.
Answer is in your post itself, my friend.

All what you have said is true, but the Tiago sells to 6,000-odd customers monthly with those average engines.

Besides, the Tigor is scheduled to be slotted below the DZire/XCent range. People will think they are getting a 3-box sedan for the price of a Kwid 1.0L RxT (just a few thousand rupees more, at a negligible addition to EMIs).

Premium-looking interiors, spacious cabin, huge boot, rich features, FE - these factors are selling in the market more today. Only a bunch of select customers, like you and me, still bother about engine outputs and power/torque figures. For the majority, if the car's engine is good enough for commuting inside the city and traverse the highways at semi-decent speeds, and is priced at an unbeatable point, everything else is ignored.

One of the main reasons why all of Maruti's offerings - from the Ritz to the S-Cross - have been selling with the same 1.3L heart, other factors notwithstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
PS: You, of all know they tested the 1.3 MJD extensively. They could have launched it as a true limited edition (500 units) with 6 airbags too, or may be as a proper RS version. Such things would help build the brand further.
Not extensive testing. Earliest prototypes of the Tiago/Tigor were tested with the Fiat-sourced 1.3's detuned 75PS heart.

Two issues came up after that - making the engines future-ready (emission norms compliant), and extensive development of Tata's own in-house diesels.

Now that Tata's future is set with 2 platforms and in-house diesels only, keeping the MJD within the ranks and keep paying royalties to Fiat for the same might have been deemed unsuitable for the long term. The Nexon is coming with an extensively reworked, re-bored, all-new 4-cylinder iteration of the heart of the Tiago/Tigor, and as per reports, will find use in the Zest facelift as well (possibly slightly detuned).

All in all, the 1.3L MJD is on it's way out of Tata's ranks. So it wouldn't have made sense to continue with just one offering with the MJD in the future, specially when the next-gen Tiago/Tigor will be moving to an all-new platform.
RavenAvi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 17:25   #552
Distinguished - BHPian

Birdies are tweeting that 5 Tigor AMTs have rolled out of production and are being tested extensively as we speak.

This gives the indication that the AMT variants will be launched sometime later this year.

No confirmation on which Tigor variants the AMTs are powering - petrol or diesel. Will update when I have news of the same.
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th March 2017, 12:22   #553
Senior - BHPian

As the launch is tomorrow do we have any birdie tweets about the expected pricing?
Got a call from Tayal Motors that display car has come but no TD vehicle has arrived. Hoping for it to happen within couple of days.
Old 28th March 2017, 19:28   #554
BHPian

Does anyone know Tigor Variants Break-Up ?

All the Media Drive Cars were Top Spec XZ (Obvious). But will other Trims/grades from Tiago (XB/XE/XM/XT) be offered or will Tata simplify things by offering Basic (XE), Mid (XM), Top (XZ) Trims ?

I know it's launching tomorrow, but want to book one soon for my friend. He has preferred Diesel, but is also open to Petrol. What's more, he asked me to book it today, I requested him not to be in a hurry. I asked him to wait for price announcement before making decision on variant & fuel choice. If Tata offers same Trims as Tiago & if they offer additional equipment on each models, then surely one will prefer Mid Variants more.

Also had called dealer today noon, No Tigor's have been booked so far, but around 10 enquiries have been registered. Looks like tomorrow the Bookings will start to flow after price announcement which is expected to be VFM.

Can't wait for Tomorrow's Launch @ 12pm I guess.
Old 28th March 2017, 19:30   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Premium-looking interiors, spacious cabin, huge boot, rich features, FE - these factors are selling in the market more today. Only a bunch of select customers, like you and me, still bother about engine outputs and power/torque figures. For the majority, if the car's engine is good enough for commuting inside the city and traverse the highways at semi-decent speeds, and is priced at an unbeatable point, everything else is ignored.

One of the main reasons why all of Maruti's offerings - from the Ritz to the S-Cross - have been selling with the same 1.3L heart, other factors notwithstanding.

All in all, the 1.3L MJD is on it's way out of Tata's ranks. So it wouldn't have made sense to continue with just one offering with the MJD in the future, specially when the next-gen Tiago/Tigor will be moving to an all-new platform.
Maruti sells coz of the national engine than other factors. Wish TAMO guys also plonk the national engine in Tigor and make it a Tiger !

Guess we should run a poll for that .
Closed Thread