Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 7th December 2014, 11:05   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
My vote(hands down) for the Celerio, for bringing in a much needed mass market automatic(although not fully auto, but nevertheless). The Zest just followed it up with the diesel but I admire the fact MSIL took the lead, at a time when the market terribly needed such a vehicle. Everyone else is just following up now.
TM, IMO has not followed Maruti. In fact, TATA gave people AMT option in diesel in C1 segment.
Though the AMT option in Zest has no air bags, it does still come with ABS and EBD.
Old 7th December 2014, 11:14   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Vote for the Zest for the simple reason that the Zest has been universally acknowledged as a huge step up for Tata. In addition, a new turbo petrol engine and a Diesel AMT. It is very rare now a days to see a car maker make changes across design, platform and engine transmission options. Kudos to Tata for the bold move
Old 7th December 2014, 11:17   #138
BHPian

Why haven't the new Polo GT twins made it to the list ? Awesome engine/dsg (petrol) combo, effortless to drive as an urban runabout, basic safety features in place, many customization options - what's not to like ?
Old 7th December 2014, 11:20   #139
Senior - BHPian

Voted for zest. Regarding the service I can surely say that they have improved in multifolds. Plus the amc schemes are the best in India. I get a royal treatment whenever I service my safari at tass. The processes are very good and the staff is always eager to attend. The icing on the cake is that they fix minor noises etc too even if I haven't complained about them.
Old 7th December 2014, 11:21   #140

My vote goes for Hyundai elite I20 - Classy, sporty, über cool, desirable yet affordable.

2nd would be Audi A3. Though I do not want to postpone joy, affordability is the trouble maker

3rd in line is Honda City. Brilliant value for money and classy.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th December 2014 at 11:28.
Old 7th December 2014, 11:25   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Why haven't the new Polo GT twins made it to the list ? Awesome engine/dsg (petrol) combo, effortless to drive as an urban runabout, basic safety features in place, many customization options - what's not to like ?
Because of this reason Polo does not qualify

"only NEW cars that are included in our COTY award. That excludes the "refreshed" headlamp & tail-light versions, facelifts and engine variants."

Although I feel that the Vento/Rapid should have been in the list. New engine, DSG transmission along with the face-lift.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 7th December 2014 at 11:27.
Old 7th December 2014, 11:28   #142
BHPian

Voted for the Zest, for the sheer back to the wall courage showed by TM.

Having driven it, I feel that it is very well made and a value for money proposition.
Old 7th December 2014, 11:32   #143
BHPian

Was in 2 minds over the Zest or the i20 but voted for i20 only because it is a class leading car in its segment along with a fantastic evolved design.

I have a feeling that Zest will win this time only because of sentiments that we have. Looking at the sales numbers and market share i20 blows zest out of the competition
Old 7th December 2014, 11:54   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

This is tough compared to last few years.

That AMT unit in the Celerio is really a breakthrough for our market. Huge convenience which takes away the burden of changing gears for most, but not at the cost of efficiency or acquisition. The AMT unit is going to be something that will be essential like Power Steering and AC in the coming years. But I doubt Celerio as a car is worth the COTY tag. The build quality is very poor, it doesn't have the character of the old A-star and MSIL very conveniently forgot to equip the AMT variants with safety kit. So, the Celerio it is not.

The new i20 is a very desirable car. Hyundai has been able to improve heavily upon the old generation. But I don't like the fact that one needs to buy the fully loaded Asta to get even the rear wash wipe in-spite of the car being available in so many variants. And Hyundai also removed the very impressive safety kit (additional airbags, rear disc brakes etc.) which was available in the old generation as the new car is no longer exported, which is a step backwards. And the car is still not engaging to drive. Was hoping to see that being taken care of in this generation considering Hyundai' active participation in WRC. Also, it looks a bit weird with the trimming that was done to keep it under the (stupid) 4m rule.

Which brings us to the Zest. I drove the Diesel AMT a few days back and I was very impressed. The utility value of the car is high. Space, comfort, convenience, feel good factor, value, low cost of running, its all there. The Achilles heel is the badge and lack of airbags in the AMT variant. Hope the Zest can overcome the former and Tata will take care of the latter soon. So, the Zest it is. Tata put in a lot of effort on the Zest, it shows in the final product and that got to be rewarded. That's why the i20 is missing out. The leap forward is not as big for the Korean as its for the Tata.

Special mention to the A3 as well. I really like it. Its very desirable, brimming with quality inside out and not a bloated up version like all new cars are. I feel, its just the right size for a German. Man, I miss them from the 70s and 80s. And this poll is just too early for the new C. I want to see all the variants and the drive reports of the India bound car.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 12:00   #145
BHPian

No doubt it has to be ZEST all the way!!!!
Old 7th December 2014, 12:12   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
My vote(hands down) for the Celerio, for bringing in a much needed mass market automatic(although not fully auto, but nevertheless). The Zest just followed it up with the diesel but I admire the fact MSIL took the lead, at a time when the market terribly needed such a vehicle. Everyone else is just following up now.
I disagree to the above statement. Tata Motors had announced the AMT option for the Zest during the Auto Expo which clearly means they were in the works much before Maruti announced AMT for Celerio. From a layman perspective, Celerio is the first car in India to come with AMT.

However, that doesn't mean that Tata Motors saw the success of Celerio and then decided to go with the AMT option for Zest. Product development doesn't work that way. Since they launched an AMT diesel this year, they would have started working on it way before the Celerio specifications were out. There is no way a company can introduce a new technology like AMT in under a year by getting the license from Magneti Marelli, doing development, testing, homologation etc and launching the product. Going by Tata's track record in the speed of development, I wouldn't be surprised if they started the works first and still ended up taking more time than Maruti to ready it.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 12:21   #147
SBR
BHPian

My vote goes for the Zest. Tata Motors has made a great improvement in the overall product improvement in the Zest and the sheer VFM it offers to customers with good comfort levels.

The driveability offered by Revotron petrol engine is one of the best in its segment.
Old 7th December 2014, 12:37   #148
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Voted for the Elite !20. Not a Hyundai person at all but this car is a looker. Especially love the tail lights. Value for money. I would actually consider buying this car.
Being an owner of a Tata vehicle I just could not vote for the Zest.
The car itself looks good, especially the interiors. However, their pathetic after sales and service still have a long way to go before they see the horizon(next).
I really wonder how many folks who voted for the Zest would actually go out and buy it.

Regards,
SS
Old 7th December 2014, 12:43   #149
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it may not necessarily work wonders for TaMo, but IMO it does show that TaMo is upping the ante, appealing to a majority members of a community focussed on, rather obsessed by, cars.

No doubt there are worthy contenders and each has its own reasons to deserve the honours, but if the Zest has made this contest completely lopsided, it deserves an applause!
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 12:49   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Default 33

No clear winner for me this year.

The Zest seems to be the leader for now. But TATA has a long way to go before it convinces the discerning masses to touch their product. The Zest may just be that landmark product that could repair their image, but they need to work hard.

I had high expectations from the Santa Fe. But missing safety features in the 4x2 and things like missing sunroof and small HU even in the top end trim is a huge mistake on Hyundai's part. Its almost as if Hyundai is not very serious with their offering and not really targeting big numbers.

The Honda City is a successful product in the market and is India's Corolla. Safe, sensible and reliable. But the hideous front end, awful alloy design and skinny tyres are major put offs for me atleast. Its a car I recommend to a lot of people (the petrol version) , but not one I'd buy for myself.

Toyota's Corolla is new on the outside, but there's nothing new underneath. Same old lethargic diesel and marginally updates VVTi petrol engines. Just take a look at the drivetrains from the competition in the segment and you'll realise how far behind the Corolla really is. That's not to say it won't sell. Its the segment leader.

That leaves me with the Merc C class. Stunning to look at from all angles and premium touch and feel bits on the inside. Its the car that makes me want a new car. The price is a bitter pill to swallow right now, but I expect discounts and more practical variants will bring the price down a little later down the line. The C Class is my Car of the Year.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 7th December 2014 at 13:18.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread