Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 7th December 2014, 12:52   #151

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

It has to be the Zest simply because Tata has tried out of its skin to provide the average Indian consumer something he could fall in love with. Everything from the GC to the space inside has been done with Indian conditions in mind while not sacrificing on the quality both inside and out. The engines are the only let-down for me thought!

We have been faced with two options all this while; get a solid German car which will eventually give you problems that will take time to be sorted out by a grumpy dealer or get a friendly, reliable and well-equipped Japanese/Korean car that is not as solid or to the tastes of an enthusiastic. Hope the next generation of Tata cars take the quality even a notch up while being reliable.

Chak De India!
Old 7th December 2014, 12:53   #152
Senior - BHPian

Where is Avventura in the list? Even though a Punto with new skirt it is a new car in the segment.
Old 7th December 2014, 13:00   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autounion View Post
Voted for the Zest. The overall package at that price is quite an achievement for TATA.
: Couldn't help noticing your handle. Auto Union. DKW-Auto Union. And. who can forget the Auto-Union D-Type.

DKW. Horch. NSU. And Wanderer. The very best in the pre-war Grand Prix. The forebearers of the modern day Audi. And that, explains the four rings in Audi's logo. Audi is actually an amalgamation of four brands. Four, very special brands.

You a fan of the Silver Arrow's as well?

Last edited by FINTAIL : 7th December 2014 at 13:04.
Old 7th December 2014, 13:07   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Isn't the Alto k10 a variant of the existing Alto 800? Does it deserve to be on the list as a new car?
Old 7th December 2014, 13:10   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Where is Avventura in the list? Even though a Punto with new skirt it is a new car in the segment.
You have answered your question in the same post. Cosmetic make-up changes wouldn't make it a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Special mention must be given to the I20 for being the most coveted hatchback in India currently.
How about the Mercedes A-Class and BMW 1-series? Those are the true premium hatchbacks now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Isn't the Alto k10 a variant of the existing Alto 800? Does it deserve to be on the list as a new car?
Different engine, different interiors and different body shape at the same time makes it a new car. Other than the basic design theme and the Alto name, there is not much similarity between the 800 and the K10 Altos. Swift-Dzire or Grand i10-Xcent would be much more similar than these twins.

Last edited by zenren : 7th December 2014 at 13:20.
Old 7th December 2014, 13:28   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I disagree to the above statement. Tata Motors had announced the AMT option for the Zest during the Auto Expo which clearly means they were in the works much before Maruti announced AMT for Celerio. From a layman perspective, Celerio is the first car in India to come with AMT.

However, that doesn't mean that Tata Motors saw the success of Celerio and then decided to go with the AMT option for Zest. Product development doesn't work that way. Since they launched an AMT diesel this year, they would have started working on it way before the Celerio specifications were out. There is no way a company can introduce a new technology like AMT in under a year by getting the license from Magneti Marelli, doing development, testing, homologation etc and launching the product. Going by Tata's track record in the speed of development, I wouldn't be surprised if they started the works first and still ended up taking more time than Maruti to ready it.
I never mentioned anything about the R&D that went into either of them mate, I simply meant being the first matters a lot. Had the Zest come first, it would have been a different take! Of course product development does not work that way and there is no way a company can introduce technology within a year esp AMT! I wouldn't be surprised either if Tata started work earlier than MSIL.

Nevertheless, it does not matter. Celerio pipped Zest to the post and that is all the public knows. Win win situation for us.
Old 7th December 2014, 13:42   #157
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

It isn't an easy choice this year for sure - as unlike some preceding years, there are no game changers & segment starters (at least in the affordable segments) in the list this year.

The choice essentially boiled down to two cars for me. Before that, I must mention three cars that came close enough to be contenders, but still didn't quite make it - and they are the Maruti Suzuki Celerio, Hyundai Xcent and Honda City.

So in the end, it's a contest between the Tata Zest and Hyundai Elite i20. Both these cars are strong contenders in their respective segments, are well rounded packages, well loaded with features, and have a desirability factor going for each of them.

The Zest has a few nice features (LED DRLs, projectors, FE/DTE counter, touchscreen music system with voice commands etc.) that are not found in the i20, but as usual, Hyundai have also loaded their offering with a whole lot of unique useful features (auto-retractable ORVMs, reverse camera, electro-chromic IRVM, rear A/C vents, front centre armrest, true keyless entry & push button start, auto headlamps and more). Extra features are a good differentiator, but they aren't enough to break a tie.

As far as I'm concerned, the tie is broken by the age of the platform. For all the extensive rework done by Tata, the Zest is still based on the Vista platform that came out in 2008. In comparison, the original i20 platform which came out in 2008-2009 belongs to automobile history now, and the Elite i20 is based on an all new, next generation platform.

This difference is too hard to ignore, and is an easy way to break the tie. The Hyundai i20 is the one that got my vote.

Last edited by RSR : 7th December 2014 at 13:53.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 13:44   #158
Senior - BHPian

Interesting vote patterns here ! How many of us here who have voted for a particular vehicle , have actually owned or driven it ?

Maybe have a different weightage to votes from actual owners?
Old 7th December 2014, 14:11   #159
i10
BHPian

Interesting how like in the real world, the City continues to chip in numbers in this poll, with little to no chest thumping as can be seen for the Zest, i20 or even the Celerio.
Old 7th December 2014, 14:16   #160
BHPian

Elite i20 without a doubt.

After a horrendous experience with TATA motors earlier, I would never associate with TMIL ever. The AMT + diesel combo at a vfm tag may sound delicious but I cannot just ignore what I went through after owning a TATA car. Also the ZEST looks very disproportionate to me (just like the dzire).

On the other hand, killer looks, terrific features, brilliant quality inside and out, great service and a vfm product make the elite i20 my pick.
Old 7th December 2014, 14:26   #161
BHPian

I don't own any of the car in this contest. So it is very difficult for me to make a choice. So I have decided to read through official reviews and ownership reviews again to understand the differentiating factors. Hope this is the right path for me to take the call.
Old 7th December 2014, 16:35   #162
BHPian

My vote go for Tata Zest. This is a great product when compared to its other stable mates. Tata's has come a long way and Zest could be the next benchmark for Tata for comparison for its future automobiles.
Old 7th December 2014, 16:39   #163
BHPian

Voted for the Elite i20. IMHO, for a car to be worthy of this prestigious title, it has to satisfy almost everything that a prospective customer is looking for , and more.

Stylish design , brilliant fit and finish, loads of equipment, fuss-free ownership and service costs...the list goes on. It even adds something special, which is very important to enthusiasts like us - it somehow manages to pull our heart strings. Even people owning cars that are segments higher find it irresistible. And that's quite an achievement. Hats off to Hyundai for bringing a truly international product to Indian shores.

Tata Zest really deserve some special mention here. At last, Tata has managed to put forward a car that really gives VFM, a whole new meaning.
Old 7th December 2014, 17:15   #164
BHPian

Voted for Elite i20 not just because there's one in the family, but due its ability to spawn a new breed of premium hatchbacks and even be successful in it.

While Zest is definitely a huge step for and by Tata, and it has introduced Diesel AMT as well, I am bit skeptical of its holding on to the success in what it has introduced. Just like Indica introduced diesel hatchback to the masses and Swift stole the show!

The fact that even Maruti is late to the party with its YRA shows how i20 has captured market attention.

Honorable mention goes to Honda City for introducing much awaited diesel and A3, GLA for testing uncharted waters.

But for the moment, i20 tops the list in my books for not just testing uncharted waters (1st gen), but also coming out on top (2nd gen).
sidhu_hs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 17:45   #165
BHPian

Voted for the Zest because i was truly impressed with the car and its interiors and never expected this from Tata Motors. Did not consider the cars above my budget at the moment ( i.e the last 6)

I was considering the elite i20, but gave it to the Zest because Hyundai took an already existing, good i20 and made it better (look better with new design , improved the suspension etc) but Tata brought out Zest totally new and it is very refreshing albeit the not so reliable Tata ASS reputation which needs to be rebuilt.

Many people i know are very impressed with the Zest compared to the Amaze and Xcent and i couldnt agree more.

Last edited by The Observer : 7th December 2014 at 17:46.
The Observer is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread