Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 7th December 2014, 17:58   #166
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

I simply cannot decide. And not because there are two or more worthy contenders, but I feel there is no one outstanding car this year.

Traditionally, I have gone with the car that I would put my money on. In this list, it has to be among Xcent, Honda City & Ciaz.

Will take some time in deciding.
Old 7th December 2014, 18:04   #167
BHPian

After closely watching the COTY polls on Team-BHP for the last 4 years, now i have voted for the first time
My vote goes to ZEST!

I have compared the each car with it's competition i.e Zest vs Amaze vs Dzire and so on. Finalists are Corolla, I20 and Zest.
Corolla lost the battle just because of power trains as many Bhpain's already pointed. I20 looks great but driving pleasure is not the best (for me Polo driving dynamics are better).
Why Zest wins the race?
1. It has the segment best fit and finish (both inside out), this alone has won the 50% marks above the competition.
2. Revotron engine improves the drive pleasure a lot and for me its right next to TSI engine. Different drive modes adds the wow factor.
3. It comes with many segment features like AMT, DRL's etc.
4. New bench mark for the compact sedan segment and for TATA Motors as well.
5. Inside fit and finish are good and Harman music system compliments it well.

All these made Zest the winner for me!
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 18:05   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayush1434 View Post
I feel that the award has to go to the Mercedes Benz GLA because of its compactness and its price point which makes it a starting point for those who are entering the luxury class.
The prices of X1, Q3 and V40 are much more competitive compared to the GLA. Hence I am not sure how correct is the point regarding the price above.
Old 7th December 2014, 18:06   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted for the Hyundai i 20 Elite as it looks fresh for its segment. It has design cues from the BMW X 3 ish (tailgate and taillights) and it has tried to get imprints from the BMW Mini Cooper (the B and C pillars and side profile).

Like many older music composers were influenced by greats of yesteryears, when they tried out and made use of the the prelude, mukhdas, interludes or antaras from their role model's compositions. So the "influenced" Elite i 20 gets my thumbs up !
Old 7th December 2014, 18:53   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I simply cannot decide. And not because there are two or more worthy contenders, but I feel there is no one outstanding car this year.

Traditionally, I have gone with the car that I would put my money on. In this list, it has to be among Xcent, Honda City & Ciaz.

Will take some time in deciding.
Could not agree more. Even I feel there is no outstanding new car that has been launched this year.
Old 7th December 2014, 18:55   #171
BHPian

Smile re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Contenders in the list for me are:
1. Tata Zest
2. Elite I20
3. Toyota Altis
4. Honda City

Negatives:
1. Tata Zest: Though I love the Zest I still doubt tata can make a fuss free car.
2. Elite I20: Hyundai cars are never great for ride and handling.
3. Corolla Altis: Just imagine paying nearly 20 lakhs to take home a 1.3 litre engine.
4. Honda City: This is probably a winner if and only if it was good as it's previos generation.

So which car has overcome the negatives to take my vote?
Here it goes - It's the Elite I20. My mind was on the Zest but my heart (Elite I20) stole the vote. I voted Elite I20 because of it's improvement in handling and ride quality and it looks like a poor man's Audi or BMW or Mercedes and it looks generations ahead of it's competition.
Kratos453 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 19:01   #172
BHPian

Voted for Tata Zest, simply because I feel it is a trend setter by introducing a Turbo Charged petrol in the mass market.
With the success of Tata Zest, Maruti and other car manufacturers will have to follow the suit.

Honda Mobilio & City were out simply because of Honda lowering its quality levels.

Ciaz is nothing great to be voted for.

Elite i20 again is nothing great, except its copied designs cues from some premium brands.
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 19:02   #173
JLS
BHPian

Voted for Zest, as:
1. Definite positive step from Tata in fit and finish, and refinement - happy that a pure Indian company moving up in Quality Curve
2. Value for money - not a unique thing from Tata, however combined with increased quality & fit/finish it is a definite positive thing. Kudos to Tata.
3. And yes, affordable diesel automatic, this is what market was demanding and that is what Tatas delivered. Next closest diesel automatic is Vento/Rapid DSG, around 5 lacs costlier and ghost of DSG mechatronics not yet fully exorcised.

As per the emerging trends, Zest has surged ahead of competition with i20 Elite and Honda city in distant 2nd and 3rd position.

I thought Honda city with its diesel motor would be a close second and also i20 Elite will be somewhere in close range. However TBHPers so far have chosen i20 Elite (of course after Zest & ahead of Honda City) for its fresh looks and the style that takes fluidic theme of Hyundai to a new height.

Regards,
JLS

Last edited by JLS : 7th December 2014 at 19:07.
JLS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 22:02   #174
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes to the Tata Zest. One car which impressed me overall in all the departments. This is surely a winner from Tata in all aspects!
Old 7th December 2014, 22:36   #175
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes for the one and only Tata Zest. I am really impressed by the come back Tata has made and it has brought a complete change in the compact sedan segment market. I really like the features Tata has provided in this car and overall a game changer in the market.
Old 7th December 2014, 22:38   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Elite i20 without a doubt.

After a horrendous experience with TATA motors earlier, I would never associate with TMIL ever. The AMT + diesel combo at a vfm tag may sound delicious but I cannot just ignore what I went through after owning a TATA car. Also the ZEST looks very disproportionate to me (just like the dzire).

On the other hand, killer looks, terrific features, brilliant quality inside and out, great service and a vfm product make the elite i20 my pick.
I'm not sure why the A.S.S is being spoken about so much in negative. We have real owners who said that they don't see the after sales service so bad. And it has only got better in the recent years.
Also, isn't the award given away for the 'best car'?

Karl Slym did bring in a host of critical changes in their internal processes. And now with Mayank Pareek also in-house, can't we safely assume that everything would get back to appreciable quality with TM?

Zest and the upcoming Bolt is a clear indication of what quality TM is capable to deliver now.

Zest has not been able to turn in big sales numbers, true. But, my personal opinion is that it is largely due to the 'herd' behavior of our people who tend to ignore a product from TM. And people who did go against the tide and purchased the Zest, they are all happy!
When I do upgrade my 2008 Swift VDi next year, Zest will definitely be under serious consideration.
Old 7th December 2014, 22:44   #177
Senior - BHPian

Have no favorites. Hence voted for Celerio, for being the first AMT in market. Rest are good but didn't bring anything new.
Old 7th December 2014, 23:32   #178
BHPian

Elite.

Zest is a great product. It shows how far TATA have come. But that is only half the battle. ASS is another story that can be understood only in the long term. Aging of a TATA car is another issue I'm skeptical of.

Hyundai on the other hand is tried and tested in terms of Sales and Service. An improved product is all they needed. And the Elite is all that. Although I wish it were a little less pricey and a little more involving to drive. At the top end the pricing is seriously messing with the Rapids, Ventos, and the Cities, which are a category higher.

And a 1.3 Lakhs premium for the diesel should have warranted ABS (just like Honda.)
Old 8th December 2014, 00:13   #179
BHPian

Since COTY is all about the product but not the sales and after sales service, it's Tata Zest for me, for all the path breaking segment firsts and pure VFM.

Tata started the compact sedan segment and revolutionized it now. Beat that Maruti and Hyundai!
Old 8th December 2014, 00:31   #180
Senior - BHPian

My Vote goes to the Zest

One sentence, its the only car that is giving the most bang for my buck for a ordinary 9-5 office goer like me.
motomaverick is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread