Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 8th December 2014, 00:54   #181
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

I was split between the Zest and I20. But at the end my vote went to I20. The reason is I would rather prefer a big hatch than a small sedan. If I go for a sedan I will go at least for one about the Rapid size. Both these cars had their pluses - Zest with its Revotron engine and Harman console. And I20 with it's Beamer-esque design inside out. But at the end I went with the full-sized hatch.
Old 8th December 2014, 01:11   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Voted for zest. Regarding the service I can surely say that they have improved in multifolds. Plus the amc schemes are the best in India. I get a royal treatment whenever I service my safari at tass. The processes are very good and the staff is always eager to attend. The icing on the cake is that they fix minor noises etc too even if I haven't complained about them.
Yup, you are right. These past couple of years it feels like people at Tata have started taking their job pretty seriously and the royal treatment you are yalking about is likewise with me. Staff is courteous, service/amc packages are good and yes any niggles or prospective niggles are well taken care of by the A.S.S.

Tata should take zest very seriously and work hard to maintain its initial image and enhance its sales. Its a very competent product with quality and VFM written all over it.
Old 8th December 2014, 06:05   #183
BHPian

Zest for me! Absolute joy and VFM with the first AMT in the segment!
Old 8th December 2014, 08:19   #184
BHPian

That time of the year again. Had shortlisted Celerio,Zest and the I20. Celerio for the first to bring out AMT. It lost out because of the interiors,it's also quite expensive for its segment and have my own doubts on the safety.
i20 has in it to be the segment leader and awesome looks. But again the engines are a let down.
My final vote went to the Zest. I think that Tata has come a long way with the car. Interiors at a big step up from the previous generation of Tata cars. Better build quality,decent engines and of course the introduction of the AMT in the segment. Decent price points as well.
Old 8th December 2014, 08:40   #185

Tata Zest it is!!! This is the only car helping the masses get a taste of most of the features in a luxury car. I beleive the interiors are too good. Not to mention the advantage of AMT. TATA has gone miles ahead in terms of design language as well. I love the side profile of the zest with minimal panel gaps (This was an issue with most of the Tata cars in the past!!)
Old 8th December 2014, 08:42   #186
Senior - BHPian

This year, it's been very difficult to select a car. I don't like compact sedans, because they are impractical. A proper 4 meter hatchback will offer much better space. If Zest were this or if there was a station wagon version of Zest, that would have gotten my vote.

I don't like Maruti, Hyundai and Honda cars in the budget segments, because I feel that these cars are heavily compromised on safety. In my opinion, the economies of scale gives them an opportunity to re-engineer the Euro-spec designs to reduce manufacturing costs.

Among the European manufacturers, no one launched any cars in economy segments. All the cars were terribly overpriced.

Avventura is missing from the list, is it because the deliveries haven't begun yet? I wouldn't have voted for it anyway (even though I am a Fiat fan) because of the same old boring engines and lack of safety features.

Finally I voted for A3 because that's the cheapest new Euro car launched this year.
Old 8th December 2014, 09:29   #187
BHPian

Voted for Zest. Overall great improvement over previous models of Indica / Vista. Great VFM package. I20 Elite was a close second in my mind but Zest won it because of quantum leap in improvement and perception over previous Tata cars, whereas I20 was already a great product.

We can be sure that Team BHpians will vote on the merit of the car instead of other consideartions such as "Indian made", "foreign made" etc. looking forward to the final result.
Old 8th December 2014, 09:54   #188
BHPian

Amazing year. It feels like choosing between Godfather, Titanic, Lord of the Rings, Avatar etc. for the Oscar

My shortlists-

1. Datsun GO: Offers a lot for it's price, but having to compete against the Marutis and Hundais is no easy task especially in the entry level segment. Had this been a Hyundai or Maruti product, it could've been a winner

2. Tata Zest: A turnaround product for Tata and is definitely a phoenix rising out of ashes.

3. Elite i20: There's no stopping Hyundai- they just keep getting better and better.

I vote for Tata Zest
Old 8th December 2014, 09:57   #189
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the world's largest selling car the legendary Toyota Corolla (Altis). Although overpriced over its competitors, for buyers like me Reliability and Quality is what matters. I've been hearing from owners and have come across this line in many magazines and auto websites which says, "Toyota Cars are as Reliable as the Sun". All my cars till date have been self driven and I keep them for a minimum period of 8-10 years and even beyond. Toyota cars fit the bill perfectly especially the all new Toyota Corolla Altis. Although I am a petrol head but still feel Toyota should offer a diesel engine in the 1.8 litre VGT avatar.
Old 8th December 2014, 10:08   #190
BHPian

Brilliant line up this year. It was a difficult choice, I voted for the Zest. Its a commendable effort on Tata's part and a big leap for them.
Old 8th December 2014, 10:13   #191
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Tata Zest.

After a long time has Tata come out with a perfect affordable package.
Infact, Manza was Tata's last quality product.

Good looking sub 4 meter car with all the bells and whistles all at an affordable price point.

Closely followed by the completely new Elite i20.
Old 8th December 2014, 10:13   #192
BHPian

Voted for Elite i20. for the value it offers in the class for the price is unbeatable. when it is backed with service network of Hyundai.. nothing beats it
toms_2191 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 10:21   #193
BHPian

Voted for Zest. Would have voted for Elite i20, but I do not like Hyundai's attitude that says adjustable headrest is premium. Zest, on the other hand, is total value for money.
Old 8th December 2014, 10:26   #194
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Zest as well , i think TATA has made a commendable effort with respect to the development and what they have finally offered as trim levels. I did however think that there would be more votes for the Xcent.
Old 8th December 2014, 10:33   #195
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the ZEST !

Its the best product from Tata yet. Aria was even better, but it was priced too aggressively, so lost the game.

The improvement in interiors, ride and handling, exteriors including first-timers like projector lamps, DRLs, etc make it a compelling product in its segment. Xcent comes pretty close, but the diesel Xcent is a huge disappointment.

Zest also got my vote because Tata has developed a completely new engine from scratch and though, it is slightly low on performance, its not that bad too.

I am reserving my opinion on why Avventura was omitted from this poll. If the Honda City could be there, Avventura should have been there too. Anyways, not that important.

Zest seems to be clear winner and probably, this is the first time that a Tata car might walk away with COTY tag.
Closed Thread