Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 8th December 2014, 10:40   #196
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

I wish Duster AWD was in the list. It seems to be the best allrounder car for our road conditions but a tad expensive.
Didnt really like any of the listed cars. Voted for the Zest.
Old 8th December 2014, 10:41   #197
BANNED

I also have voted for the Zest. I find it the most VFM proposition in the market yet it fulfills all the needs.
Old 8th December 2014, 10:43   #198
BHPian

I voted for Celerio.
Even though it has not seen much demand yet, I think it's a value for money package with an automatic transmission with a pretty responsive engine. A good one for ladies. I chose it for the same reason. I booked this one for my wife after trying out several others in the segment.
Old 8th December 2014, 10:43   #199
Senior - BHPian

Very frankly I do not like most of the cars on the list except perhaps the C class. But then, the Car of the Year, in my opinion, should always be a mainstream car which most can buy or aspire. For that reason I feel it should either be the Elite i20 or the Honda City, from this list. We should also bring in the build quality and safety ratings in the picture because Indian manufacturers have a very dismal record on that account. I was highly surprised to see the zero safety ratings for the Datson Go and Alto in the recent tests. This shows how much these manufacturers take the Indian public for granted in collusion with the authorities and our pathetic road infrastructure.

Still thinking...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 10:44   #200

Zest it is for me. Many first in the segment features and vfm proposition makes it a clear winner
Old 8th December 2014, 10:46   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally made up my mind and voted for the City. A complete and all rounded sedan which would check all boxes for most C segment buyers.
Was difficult to decide between the Zest & the City.

Thanks!
Old 8th December 2014, 10:47   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I simply cannot decide. And not because there are two or more worthy contenders, but I feel there is no one outstanding car this year.

Traditionally, I have gone with the car that I would put my money on. In this list, it has to be among Xcent, Honda City & Ciaz.

Will take some time in deciding.
I have a very similar feeling and find no specific car as a worthy contender. But I voted for Celerio for kick-starting the AMT revolution in India.

I wonder why ZEST, (no offence to owners and fans) but it might be the COTY within TATA Motors, no way is it path breaking in its class. There are many cars with better interiors, styling and features. Also I haven't seen many Zests on road
naikameya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 10:59   #203
BHPian

There was nothing revolutionary this year apart from AMT. But the cars that came with AMT aren't that great to be called Car of the Year.
A car that created wave and beat the segment leader black n blue, the Honda City is a winner!
City is a very good package- Good Engine options,loaded with features,neat design, decent interiors.
Old 8th December 2014, 11:03   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Indian Car Scene!

It's not going to be simple this time. I have a feeling that, unlike earlier years where the choice was obvious (Nano, EcoSport, XUV500 etc.), we're going to see a close battle between 2 - 3 cars.

May the best car win & let the fun begin

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3595721 (Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2013. EDIT : Ford EcoSport it is!)

My strong hunch was true
Old 8th December 2014, 11:12   #205
BHPian

Its Zest for me.

IMO its a complete entry sedan now in terms of quality, space, comfort, equipment, first in class diesel automatic, VFM & looks.
Old 8th December 2014, 11:17   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Being an owner of a Tata vehicle I just could not vote for the Zest.
The car itself looks good, especially the interiors. However, their pathetic after sales and service still have a long way to go before they see the horizon(next).
I really wonder how many folks who voted for the Zest would actually go out and buy it.

Regards,
SS
I am perhaps diametrically opposite to you. Being a humble Tata Indica owner for the last 10.5 years that has run for 150K + kms without being stranded even once, when I saw and test drove the Zest I was blown away. The pricing was an icing on the cake. No doubt I have voted for the Zest.

However I have not gone for it for the simple reason that I wanted a car which can accommodate 6 people in comfort with their weekend luggage. Aria, XUV were too big for me (my parking) and Ertiga, Mobilio engines were not very inspiring. Was very fortunate to get hold of a preworshipped Innova that not only fitted my parking but my wallet as well. If I had only 5 people to accommodate I would have gone for the Zest blind folded.
Old 8th December 2014, 11:19   #207
BHPian

Voted for Zest simply because of its awesome Value For Money package. About the minor niggles, only time will tell but I have a feeling that even Tata knew where they lacked and seemed to have put in genuine efforts to minimize what their cars were famous for.

Had this car been available when I bought my pre-owned Honda City, I would have very seriously considered Zest to buy even though what I wanted would have cost nearly 1.8 times what I paid for the City (Loan would have easily covered it, while the pre-owned was full payment).
Old 8th December 2014, 11:30   #208
BHPian

Voted for the city. I think its the most important car for the mighty C2 segment & Honda forced other manufacturers to bring the game altogether to a different level.
Old 8th December 2014, 11:38   #209
BHPian

My vote goes to Celerio for writing a new chapter in Indian Automotive Industry with the introduction of AMT, that too in entry level segment.
Old 8th December 2014, 11:43   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I simply cannot decide. And not because there are two or more worthy contenders, but I feel there is no one outstanding car this year.

Traditionally, I have gone with the car that I would put my money on. In this list, it has to be among Xcent, Honda City & Ciaz.

Will take some time in deciding.
I went through the same thought process, and was unable to decide. It feels sad that none of the launches for the year have the ability to excite, to make one aspire, even if i wasnt looking to buy a car at the moment.

However, i decided to vote for the Elite i20 as this would be what i would buy if i really wanted to buy a car from the range of mainstream cars provided. The Zest is a good effort, but i am still on the sidelines watching as it performs.
Closed Thread