Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 8th December 2014, 16:37   #241
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Why Vento, Rapid both with DSG and Polo TSI DSG is not considered?
Old 8th December 2014, 16:38   #242
BHPian

My top two for the year are i20 & the City. Voted for the City.

The current vote does perplex me though - to say that Tata 'seems' to have got something right is in itself is good enough to win it? What about the cars who are far better overall and deliver consistently.

i20 is an incredible car, so much features and punch packed into an affordable package. An I am not a Hyundai fan. The new City is hwoever in a class of its own.

Question - why is the Ford Fiesta not in the poll - to me outside of the poll it is by far the car that has impressed me the most. It is not a bumper or a grill job either.
Old 8th December 2014, 16:41   #243
BHPian

My vote goes to Tata Zest for following:
1. Genuine attempt by 'once a market leader' to recapture the glorious position.
2. Feature loaded vehicle with attractive pricing
3. Provision to manage the power delivery mode - Economy Vs Power on click of buttons (Driving modes).
4. Looks nice - Nicely composed from front side; rear portion is not to my taste, but one can live with it.
Old 8th December 2014, 16:47   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Greatly off topic, but can anyone please let me know that why Honda City is the only car in the entire list which has 'italicised' fonts?

Plot thickens to me when I see Honda Amaze as the only car that was again 'italicised' in the COTY-2013 list.

Do I qualify for observation of the year-2014?

Last edited by saket77 : 8th December 2014 at 16:49.
Old 8th December 2014, 16:49   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Greatly off topic, but can anyone please let me know that why Honda City is the only car in the entire list which has 'italicised' fonts?

Plot thickens to me when I see Honda Amaze as the only car that was again 'italicised' in the COTY-2013.

Do I qualify for observation of the year-2014?
Did you vote for Honda City this time? Whatever car you vote for, becomes italicised.
ajay_satpute is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 16:51   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Did you vote for Honda City this time? Whatever car you vote for, becomes italicised.
Ah! Thank you so much...It did not strike me in anyway. That indeed is the case.
Thanks!

Edit: So, no Observation award for me:(

Last edited by saket77 : 8th December 2014 at 16:53.
Old 8th December 2014, 18:16   #247
BHPian

My vote to zest. They are trying their best to comeback, but not by cutting cost and compromising on safety.
Old 8th December 2014, 18:38   #248
BHPian

Voted for Zest. Zest has been a genuine effort from Tata's to come out of deep slumber and that deserves to be praised.

Though it is an iteration of old Vista, it is aesthetically pleasing. It has been well packaged with neat features and priced decently esp XMS. Also safety features like ABS, Twin Airbags have been provided from mid-level.

Disclaimer: I own a Zest.
Old 8th December 2014, 18:54   #249
BHPian

Voted for the i20, primarily because of how great it looks! Its been a while since I saw such a great looking car launched in India. Moreover, the older i20 got 5 stars in NCAP. I am hoping the elite would be closer to that if not the same.
Old 8th December 2014, 19:17   #250
BHPian

My vote goes to the Tata Zest. Even though, the i20 Elite is a far more accomplished product, I choose the Zest as it is a milestone vehicle for Tata Motors. For all their efforts, they really do deserve to win this one. Hopefully, they will better their efforts with the Bolt.
Old 8th December 2014, 20:05   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Can you elaborate this particular point of yours? When you say many cars have better interiors, are you comparing the Zest with say BMW 3 series or Range Rover Evoque or something? We should always compare a product in its segment and then comment on the features. Even though Xcent has super interiors, it loses to Zest to on exteriors and the tried and tested diesel motor running in the Zest.

Zest is a pretty new product in the market and Tata are still getting upto speed with delivery, so you may not have seen many Zests on the road. Just wait and watch, you should a see a lot many zests on the road soon.

Sorry for the OT. Also, i have no personal attachment with the Zest, but we can't make vague statements on this respected forum. So just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
In my opinion Audi A3 is the car that we should focus on. It brought in a different thought process. A luxury brand within affordable limits, starting as low as 23 lakhs, was a thought that not many could introduce. Even the A Class came in at a price point much higher than that. To that extent Audi brought in the mass market thinking into their otherwise premium product line. Take out the bi-xenons and replace them with halogen or take the leather seats out and replace them with fabric upholstery. Solution sounds easy but many a premium brands develop cold feet in implementing such "brand dilutions".

For the sheer courage of Audi to think beyond the obvious the A3 is my choice for the COTY.

Zest might be a great car, but I believe TATA did nothing path breaking there. Rather they did exactly what they should have done long back. As I said none of the cars listed did that. But there is a major change that MS did by getting AMT to India with Celerio. Also I agree with Zappo where Audi took a bold step with A3. Honda City was easily able to topple the market leader. Ecosport highlighted a completely new category of Compact SUVs and a World class engine like Ecoboost.

Zest did not do any such path breaking, but I do agree it's a huge step for TATA, may be a great car, but not T-BHP COTY 2014. But that's only me.

P.S.: I do not see anything vague in the statements. I didn't compare it with BMW or RangeRover. I believe Dzire has better interiors & same engine; Amaze has better space, engine, better styling; As you said Xccent as well. But anyways everyone has their own views. Happy Motoring!
Old 8th December 2014, 20:23   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
(Edit) Elite i20 : That car is a stunner! Brilliant design.

TATA Service is rated better than TOYOTA, what more.
Dude, any literature to prove this ???
Old 8th December 2014, 20:33   #253
BHPian

Voted for Celerio, and the only reason was to appreciate the manufacturer who dared to provide convenience of AMT below sub 5-Lakh category.
The car may not be at par with other manufacturer's products in same price bucket (say like Grand i10), however being an urban commuter, no other things could impress me over convenience of driving.
Old 8th December 2014, 20:41   #254
BHPian

It's Zest for me. While there's still some things one would desire in their car left out of the Zest, what it packages for its price point is nothing short of awesome. Hope they bring out a Revotron XTA soon for people with a weak left knee who also care about safety as much as convenience.

Elite i20 on the other hand is a stunner. While one can easily fall for its looks, as a package Hyundai has trimmed a lot of stuff from old-gen i20. If not for Zest this year, it would have been the Elite hands down.
Old 8th December 2014, 20:55   #255
BHPian

Smile re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Voted for Hyundai Elite i20.
Driving my decision was the accomplished looks, all the new features added, 16" wheels. It has almost everything that cars usually lose out when coming from the European market to the Indian market.
Closed Thread