Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 8th December 2014, 21:16   #256
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

My vote goes to TATA Zest. Great product with some really thought out features at a very competitive pricing.
Old 8th December 2014, 21:23   #257
BHPian

The Elite i20 it is for me.

Having owned a first gen Diesel i20, 4 years and 60k kms later, It still drives like a dream and has never let me down. That engine is a gem. Add a RD box or remap it, and, you can have some serious fun on the highways! Good to know that they have sorted out the ride and handling to a great extent as well. Now add all those toppings - super looks, features, fit and finish, Hyundai A.S.S - It pretty much nails it in every department.

The Diesel Asta variant on road pricing in Bangalore has gone up exactly by 90k in 4+ years. Interestingly, the Polo Diesel (Not GT) has gone up by exactly the same amount. (From around 8.25 to 9.15 now). Back then, the polo HL had a 3 pot diesel engine, absolutely zilch features (not even steering mounted controls!) and still commanded a high price. But, Polo is still essentially the same car with a new heart now. Hyundai have gone a step ahead and given a whole new car with a lot of additional kit for the same price hike (Save for the rear disc brakes. No, the 1st gen i20 I have didn't have rain sensing vipers or those flashy DRL's). So, I think the price is somewhat justified.

I think that there is scope for re-introducing the Asta(O) variant which somehow was way too premium priced back then for people to prefer it, the Polo GT TDI is around 44k costlier than i20 Asta now, so, when you have takers for GT Tdi, price it on par and give us those 6 airbags and a sunroof. That would just be an icing on the cake Hyundai!

Last edited by Kimified : 8th December 2014 at 21:27.
Old 8th December 2014, 21:34   #258
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Zest.

Reason : 1) AMT, feature packed. And my 7 years good relations with TASC located 1 KM from my home.

2) Once a winner trying to recapture its territory with some serious efforts. In this age of Germans, Japanese, American contenders which have atleast 30-40 years of experience, the competition is definitely going tobe hard. Tata has atleast started to show that they are gearing-up to take the challenge.
Old 8th December 2014, 21:35   #259
BHPian

Voted for the Celerio, primarily for opening up a new segment altogether when the market in general was in a slump.

The Celerio has probably ushered in a era of affordable automatic cars for the Indian market and I personally feel that this segment would become a cash cow for manufacturers in the near future.

Last edited by AlphaLamb : 8th December 2014 at 21:37. Reason: corrected sentence construction
Old 8th December 2014, 22:04   #260
Senior - BHPian

City or Zest. Decision was tough for me. I bought the city and am quite happy with it( niggle free till now touchwood).
But, voted for Zest. What City bring is expected from Honda. But what Tata gave was completed unexpected. Having driven a Manza for so long I can see it clearly how much Tata has progressed with Zest. The only reason it is not at top is cos of the perception Tata has created due it's A.S.S which will take time to change. Otherwise in its segment Zest is the best car.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 22:26   #261
Senior - BHPian

I've thought long and hard about this, because there's no obvious winner this year.

The Car of the Year has to do something revolutionary, and most of the cars on this list aren't that. In fact, an argument can be made that none of them are.

But two cars did effect changes. The Celerio sparked off something great by introducing AMT's, making the automatic car affordable to all. The Zest, however, went one better and launched a diesel with an AMT, doing something that the market has been crying out for years.

For just doing that, and being a big step forward for Tata, the Zest wins it for me, if only just. It's not an obvious winner, but it's one I feel we can get behind.
Old 8th December 2014, 22:48   #262
BHPian

It's the TATA Zest for me. A wonderful fully equipped car. I drove all the cars listed here in this thread except the mini and nothing felt more VFM than the zest.
Old 8th December 2014, 22:54   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Its great to see the Tata Zest zooming ( or as Honda Motorcycles and Scooters India Ltd say VROOOOM ing ) ahead of all others.

Let us hope that our very own, homegrown Brand Tata moves ahead of the competition and at least reaches the coveted Top Three Car Sellers slot where it was for many years till it fell on bad days.

In the mid 1980's the Tata 407 had driven away the competition that included the DCM Toyota, Swaraj Mazda and Eicher Mitsubishi mini trucks nearly to their retirement havens. Some survived and made a feeble comeback but the DCM Toyota perished.

Tata cars should have repeated the 1986 Tata 407 success story way back in 1999, with the launch of the Indica. At least a few competitors should have perished. Let us hope the Zest and Bolt do what the Indica and Indigo in all their avatars could not do.

Brand Tata is always the first to come on our mindsets when we talk of the "Make in India" products.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th December 2014 at 23:14.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 23:26   #264

It was tough choice between Tata Zest and Elite i20 but my mind wins over my heart and I vote for the latter.
I believe Elite i20 is most premium hatchback we have in the country today in its segment and its every bit value for money. Hyundai played extremely well with the new 'Fluidic 2.0' design and got a elegant mix of Stylish Exterior, Interior, upgraded performance with uncompromised safety.
Old 9th December 2014, 00:05   #265
BHPian

I am with those who support the view that moving ahead, we should only shortlisted cars that offer complete safety kit at least as an option, that way we create a strong stand and opinion towards the significance of proper manufacturing practices and safety, that way the list stays pure and precise.

From this list starting in reverse, I'd rate the Elite as 2nd runner up in this race, Hyundai has upped the game and like the Grand i10 has expectedly improved on a already decent product (i20) on all fronts, only thing is, it does everything just good but not revolutionary and because we'd normally expect any manufacturer to move ahead with the times (same with City and Ciaz, but both aren't that great either, just evolutionary, at least Ciaz seems a stronger attempt) it serves well for Hyundai to be competent, but I withhold points for not being extraordinary when Hyundai is capable to do so and proven plenty times earlier, so in my opinion it does not do justice to the 'car of the year' award for being just another 'good job'.

Which is why I am really happy to see Zest basking in glory, promising times for a genuine Indian manufacturer vying global arena, Tata as a brand has often been mentioned as a manufacturer of ordinary products, of course there have been good attempts, but with the Zest I see a shift in perception as the talks on Zest is not just about price and space but about (some) class leading features and overall product competence, within reach for the masses increasing its influence, so its appreciable Tata has taken huge leaps on the Zest from their normal approach of competing on price and space.

Though I haven't had an generous opportunity to check the car, initial impressions are hugely positive and I find it to be the most promising product this year just because it is solely responsible for this paradigm shift, bettering others in the list for the 'car of the year award' except the Audi A3.

So there it is, could be just my singular opinion even if it doesn't match with the general populace, Since my younger days I have always wanted to own one from the famed trio, BMW, Mercedes, Audi 'sedan' in that preference. While Mercedes launched the new absolutely smashing C at a price just shy of their half crore E-class (If you ask, I'd always want Mercedes to over-engineer my car and not compromise it with cost cutting measures like they did in between, hence I guess I may find value in the C's price if there is cutting edge stuff in there), Audi on the contrary with the A3 has made the famed sedan dreams within reach for a lot out there, it helps that unlike BMW and Mercedes it resisted the temptation to bring a clone super hatch at that price and went ahead and created a new segment thereby differentiating it from both.
Whether hatch or sedan, their space, engines, overall product competence is more or less the same, already cutting edge/competent, so I guess it was easier for Audi to envision a A3 sedan for developing markets and since I feel I should vote for a car that I would choose to buy, I vote for the A3. Period.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 9th December 2014 at 00:22.
Old 9th December 2014, 00:06   #266
BHPian

I vote for Celerio, i found the space manageable, drive was cool and easy, and loved its auto box, the price is affordable for many, it will help the masses convert to auto specially with its excellent millage claim. To me it has almost all the right things that I would want. The long wait is an endorsement to all the above factors mentioned

I am also thankful to Maruti for giving the same auto box in Alto but Celerio is a notch above for me for it's higher cabin space and marginal price difference from Alto

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Old 9th December 2014, 01:25   #267
BHPian

I voted for Celerio, for opening up a new trend of Auto Manual box in our country, which is affordable to masses.

My second vote would go to zest, for it practicality and design innovation.
Old 9th December 2014, 08:15   #268
BHPian

IMHO, COTYs are all about the car that brings in an air of freshness to the options available for a prospective car buyer if not introducing ground-breaking technologies. It has to be a car that is practical yet fun to drive, with good VFM. It has to be brilliantly packaged overall.

TATA has done that with Zest.

Now, let's hope it wins the hearts of the target customers. For that to happen, TATA has to go a loooong way.
Old 9th December 2014, 08:27   #269
BHPian

IMHO, COTYs are all about the car that brings an air of freshness to the options available to the prospective car buyers. It has to be the car that is practical yet fun to drive. May not be introducing ground-breaking technologies but should be good VFM. It has to be brilliantly packaged overall.

TATA has done that with Zest.

Now, let's hope it wins the hearts of the target customers too. For that to happen, TATA has a long way to go.
Old 9th December 2014, 09:45   #270
BHPian

Was confused between i20 elite and zest but finally voted for zest. Courtesy a nice design, upmarket interiors and an AMT , coming from TATA stable is indeed an achievement. Now only if they could improve its supply chain and most important of all, its TASS needs to get its act together.
Closed Thread