Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 9th December 2014, 13:58   #286
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
What does this stand for then? [From the Zest's official site. Which still shows the original spec XT alloys .]
Attachment 1316554
That is very different from ESC/ ESP. The corner stability control adapts braking force while the car is turning while the ESC is much more advanced and prevents the car from spinning while making sudden maneuvers or when hitting slippery surface.

Here is a news article explaining this:

"Although the Tata Zest has corner stability control, it has no electronic stability control which precludes it from being offered in Australia"

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2014...launches-45737

Last edited by Lobogris : 9th December 2014 at 14:01.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 13:59   #287
BHPian

The Hyundai Elite i20 truly deserves to be the car of the year for looks alone. Tata Zest simply can't compete with the Elite on looks, features, build & refinement. It may have some segment first features for the first time but Hyundai is the master when it comes to segment first features.
Old 9th December 2014, 14:59   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
The Hyundai Elite i20 truly deserves to be the car of the year for looks alone. Tata Zest simply can't compete with the Elite on looks.
i20 rear looks awesome especially those tail lamps, front is above average. Side profile is strictly average duo to stupid front and rear bumpers. Looks like they modified/shortened bumpers in Indian version.

Zest - front is awesome, rear is above average, and side profile is below average.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 15:24   #289
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What does this stand for then? [From the Zest's official site. Which still shows the original spec XT alloys .]
Attachment 1316554
Not ESC / ESP, yet a cheap & clever feature. Tata says “Corner Stability Control supports / stabilizes the vehicle during partial braking in curves by reducing pressure at the required inner wheel. This helps to reduce the probability of vehicle oversteer during cornering".
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 15:27   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
The Hyundai Elite i20 truly deserves to be the car of the year for looks alone. Tata Zest simply can't compete with the Elite on looks, features, build & refinement. It may have some segment first features for the first time but Hyundai is the master when it comes to segment first features.
Zest competes with DZire, Amaze and Xcent in market.
And it does outsmart the competition hands down in *most* of the departments, if not all. Refinement could go to DZire or Xcent. But, on the features, build, space and VFM, doesn't Zest top the competition? Not to forget the segment first of DRLs, 5" touch infotainment, 3 driving modes and the icing on cake Diesel AMT!
Old 9th December 2014, 15:30   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
That is very different from ESC/ ESP. The corner stability control adapts braking force while the car is turning while the ESC is much more advanced and prevents the car from spinning while making sudden maneuvers or when hitting slippery surface.

Here is a news article explaining this:

"Although the Tata Zest has corner stability control, it has no electronic stability control which precludes it from being offered in Australia"

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2014...launches-45737
Thanks! Well that still is a segment first anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not ESC / ESP, yet a cheap & clever feature. Tata says “Corner Stability Control supports / stabilizes the vehicle during partial braking in curves by reducing pressure at the required inner wheel. This helps to reduce the probability of vehicle oversteer during cornering".
Thanks for the enlightenment . Thankfully the Zest handles well and this feature may be useful. It would be quite a vestigial feature in previous TML cars which are inherently under-steering in nature.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 15:36   #292
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It would be quite a vestigial feature in previous TML cars which are inherently under-steering in nature.
The average driver on the road can handle understeer (lift off), but not oversteer (far greater skill required). Hence, many mass market cars have understeer tuned in, and oversteer tuned out. Within Tata's garage itself, the reason behind the Tata Nano's slimmer front tyre size / fatter rear tyre is to prevent oversteer.

Because the CSC talks only about oversteer, I have a feeling it's only watching the rear tyres.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 15:42   #293
BHPian

Haven't had opportuinty to drive any of these new launches, hence, my choice is purely based on looks, design, price, VFM factor.

The choice was between Elite i20, Honda City, Hyundai XCent, Zest.

Elite i20 and Honda city are good packages in their respective segment, however, both were ruled out given the fact a) both are upgrades to existing versions, and, b) not really VFM, both are priced steep.

It was tough choice between Xcent and Zest.

Zest scored high on the Diesel AMT (1st time ever), Drive Modes in Petrol, however, lost a little on the design/looks.

Somehow Xcent looks to be the most well designed and proportionate compact sedan in the market with loads of features at a competitive price.

Xcent scores highest on my criteria, my vote for Hyundai Xcent.
Old 9th December 2014, 15:46   #294
BHPian

My vote is for Tata Zest despite some glaring misses (e.g. Cabin storage)
I just loved its fresh design
Old 9th December 2014, 15:47   #295
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Zest. Take off that badge and you'd never guess its a Tata. It is a refreshing change and quality has improved leaps and bounds. The i20 Elite comes in next, but the Hyundai's are always weak on the involvement front. I have not driven the Zest, but from what I have been reading the Revtron is pretty decent and the car handles well.

Tata now needs to sort out their supply / production issues and reduce the waiting periods.
fiat_tarun is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 15:52   #296
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Zest , for good quality interiors and many segment firsts such as
turbo charged petrol , Selectable ECU modes , Diesel AMT and good interiors.

May be a halo effect variant with Turbo Petrol AMT with 6 airbags and sports should be launched as well.
Old 9th December 2014, 15:55   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post

Zest - Not a single car in my IT Park yet. Message? Tata still hasn't made the difference yet in people's mind.
Looks like TM is facing issues with their vendor partners. The article also confirms that 3,500 copies are sold in November 2014. Given the negativity around Tata, 3,500 is not a small feat

Quote from the article:
“This is not the way we should have gone about it… These are golden opportunities,” Mayank Pareek, the newly-appointed president for passenger cars at Tata Motors, said recently at a media interaction. “We should have managed the supplies better… But we are working on them to increase production,” added Pareek, a former Maruti Suzuki executive.

http://www.businessworld.in/news/bus...01/page-1.html
balajisv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 15:55   #298
BHPian

My vote goes to Elite i20. Stunning looks, best fit and finish, great interiors and accessories. But, a bit disappointed that Hyundai has gone behind on the safety features.
Old 9th December 2014, 17:52   #299
BHPian

Thumbs up re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Voted for Zest truly deserves to be the car of the year.

Looks very beautiful in & out.

Proud of Tata as an Indian company finally churning out quality cars.
Old 9th December 2014, 18:16   #300
BHPian

I was tempted to vote for celerio which changed the perception of automatic in India. But at the same time, I'm hard pressed to acknowledge the hard work (from their point of view) by Tata to come out of a tough position. My vote goes to Zest.
Closed Thread