Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 9th December 2014, 18:51   #301
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Maruti Alto K10 – Pocket Rocket but glaring cost cutting, importantly not sure of Safety.
Datsun Go – Proven Unsafe , period.
Maruti Celerio – AMT in what is essentially an Alto shell. Doesn’t excite much. Safety?
Tata Zest – An honest effort to make a best in class vehicle. Has some misses, but has more pluses than minuses! Well designed (probably the best sub 4m vehicle, looks wise), A balanced car (has the FTD factor as well as a pretty well rounded family car), two good engines, many segment firsts.
Hyundai Xcent – A neat little package, two decent engine options, feels well put together, has a small footprint, loses out on the FTD factor because of the lifeless steering feel. Hyundai service costs seem to go up consistently.
Hyundai Elite i20 – A good looking car, probably the best looking hatchback out there. The interiors are very well put together. Uninspiring engine options, steering feel is better than the old i20, but not that great. Removal of safety features!
Honda Mobilio – Too much promised, too little delivered. Change the badge with a chinese company and no one will know the difference. Honda, we don’t expect panel gaps from you on an overpriced car.
Maruti Ciaz – Understated, classy design. Good ride quality, horrid choice of engines, not very dynamically accomplished. Nothing ground breaking.
Honda City - Too much promised, too little delivered. Change the badge with a chinese company and no one will know the difference. Honda, we don’t expect panel gaps from you on an overpriced car. Multiple other issues!
Mahindra Scorpio – Not really All New.
Toyota Corolla Altis – Great car, but feels over priced. A typical family sedan nothing much expected. Nothing groundbreaking.
Audi A3 – Looks like any other Audi. No segment topping features. A Passat or Superb makes a lot more sense if you don’t want to pay for the 4 rings on the front.

My choice was between the i20, Zest, Ciaz, Xcent. I voted for the Zest, simply because it is a testament to what an Indian brand can do – if they decide to.

Last edited by torquecurve : 9th December 2014 at 18:53.
torquecurve is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 19:03   #302
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I believe it is an "All New" i20. Not a cosmetic change like the Swift. Just because the name stays i20 doesn't mean it is the same car. Its the next generation. Its only in India that we are used to see 800-Zen-Alto-AStar and what not in parallel thinking they are "new" car marque. They are next generation of the same ALTO.

The Swift 2014 really is just a "facelift" its not a next generation.
Errr, All new but with the same platform and changes to the body and design get it a NEW CAR tag? Some of the features were removed (I don't think it has 6 airbags as an option anymore), the same engine specifications as well. The same is with the all NEW city too. It only got a diesel engine added.

I am not against I20 being featured here, I like that car for its design, but wondering why not extend the same olive branch to Swift?

This is going completely and before the mods put up a message, I rest my case.

Last edited by ILTDrive : 9th December 2014 at 19:04.
Old 9th December 2014, 19:39   #303
BHPian

Voted for the Zest , after a test drive with AMT diesel , its amazingly easy to drive in bumper to bumper traffic and NVH levels are well controlled.
Old 9th December 2014, 19:40   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
In my opinion Audi A3 is the car that we should focus on. It brought in a different thought process. .....

For the sheer courage of Audi to think beyond the obvious the A3 is my choice for the COTY.
Totally with you Zappo, despite the entry pricing the car does not feel built to a compromise, while defining a niche unique segment between the German trio

Extract from the official review:
" What you'll like:

Clean & timeless design. Styling similar to its bigger brothers
Premium quality, inside out. Excellent interior fit, finish & feel
Competent engines: Torquey fuel-efficient diesel & fast petrol
Quick dual-clutch transmission with smooth shift quality
Rich dynamics, strong grip levels and solid stability
5 star safety & kit (6 airbags, ESC, ABS, ASR, all disc brakes)
Equipment: Bi-xenon headlamps, MMI system with 7" screen, sat-nav, dual-zone climate control etc.
"

Which is why I vote for the A3, cos of the shortlisted ones, I'd spend my money on the A3. Amen.
Old 9th December 2014, 20:36   #305
Senior - BHPian

I chose the Santa FE because of its presence , functionality ,features and interiors. Price is the only letdown here.

Another close contender would be the A3. for brand value it's totally worth the money.I would still have been happier if Audi didn't enter this segment (since what would luxury be without exclusivity ?)
Old 9th December 2014, 20:52   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
The Zest doesn't come with ESC- Electronic Stability Control in any variant.
Must be a typo. Zest comes with Corner Stability Control (CSC).
Old 9th December 2014, 21:04   #307
Team-BHP Support

Voted for the Mercedes C-Class. The sheer quality and class that it exudes is unmatched by anything else on this poll. My next choice would be the i20.
Old 9th December 2014, 22:51   #308
BHPian

Voted for Zest, just because of lack of choices in the list. Why isn't the new polo with 1.5 TDI listed here ?. That would have been my choice.

IMHO, this award should be named as launch of the year, instead of car of the year. Car of the year should include every car available in the market today. Otherwise we will be confusing a potential buyer that a particular car is the best in the current market, when companies advertise their product with TBHP logo.

Just my two cents.
linuxmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 23:42   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atul.sxna View Post
Dude, any literature to prove this ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
...Tata Motors scored above M&M & even the mighty Toyota in the JD Customer Satisfaction Index.

Link : http://india.jdpower.com/sites/defau..._Final_Rev.pdf ...
Ofcourse, they haven't got as many service centers as Maruti, but IMO thats since as of now they're only ~1/9th the sales of Maruti, yet they must have atleast 1/2 the number of service centers as them.
Old 9th December 2014, 23:59   #310
BHPian

Voted for the Celerio since it truly is the harbinger for the 'automatic transmission' that is bound to sweep India in the next 2-3 years! And who knows the nerve of the Indian car buyer better than Maruti!

Awestruck by the HUGE votes that zest has got, it's a terrific car on its own, but such a nice surprise coming from the Tata motors stable! Wish the guys from TM are listening and fix their production issues before the zest waiting list ppl move to the elite i20, or any new car that 2015 brings!
Old 10th December 2014, 00:44   #311
BHPian

I have voted for City keeping the old peppy i-vtec petrol in mind.
It has always been my favourite and had there not been a need for an MUV(family of 6), my choice would have been City.
Its classic, settled when compared to its rivals and loads of aftermarket accesories available to fit in.
The mechanics know the engine well, parts could be sourced if not going to ASC.
Would love to own one.
Old 10th December 2014, 01:09   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Because of this reason Polo does not qualify

"only NEW cars that are included in our COTY award. That excludes the "refreshed" headlamp & tail-light versions, facelifts and engine variants."

Although I feel that the Vento/Rapid should have been in the list. New engine, DSG transmission along with the face-lift.

And with that logic, I really wonder how the Alto makes it's presence felt in the COTY
Old 10th December 2014, 08:46   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the status quo will be maintained till thread closure.

Zest at 40%, i20 at 20% and City at 10%. Give or take some.

We have even seen the Zest almost breaking through a dealers glass window on the first floor to come collect the T-BHP COTY award. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3597562

Last edited by deetjohn : 10th December 2014 at 08:47. Reason: typo.
Old 10th December 2014, 09:22   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
And with that logic, I really wonder how the Alto makes it's presence felt in the COTY
In case of Polo, other than the new engine, there is no real visual difference in the car. If I want an old Polo to 'look' like the new one, it is a very easy job of swapping in/out a few parts like the headlamps. Hence it still looks like the old car.

However, in case of Alto K10, there are 2 vehicles to which it can be compared:
old Alto K10 - same engine but everything else different.
Alto 800 - different engine, different interiors, different external shape.

There is no similarity with either of these models and hence K10 is included in the list. Neither old K10 nor Alto 800 can be modded to look like the new K10 without a significant investment. I guess the doors might be same in both cars, but then so are the doors in Swift/Dzire or Grand/Xcent.
Old 10th December 2014, 11:07   #315
BHPian

Voted for zest purely for creating a new segment with diesel AMT along with tremendous improvement in the quality in this car. Although i must say that i 20 was a very close contender and i did end up buying it for my wife.
Closed Thread