Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10th December 2014, 21:29   #331
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Was just sorting & visualizing the results so far. Thought I'd share:

Name:  Bars Capture.PNG
Views: 1213
Size:  22.9 KB

Name:  pie Capture.PNG
Views: 1221
Size:  48.1 KB

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th December 2014 at 21:31.
Rehaan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 22:31   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Was just sorting & visualizing the results so far. Thought I'd share:

Attachment 1316923

Attachment 1316924

cya
R
I am sure our poll will be more meaningful if more and more members exercise their vote.

GTO has taken all the proper steps and sent messages to all members. It would be in the fitness of things if more and more members vote and the "Car of the Year" becomes the one voted and chosen by a huge majority of teambhp members.
Old 10th December 2014, 22:47   #333
BHPian

Voted for Celerio. Brought the concept of budget automatics for the first time in our market.
Old 11th December 2014, 00:38   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Voted for Celerio. Brought the concept of budget automatics for the first time in our market.
Zest brought budget automatics for diesel cars in compact sedan segment
Old 11th December 2014, 02:09   #335
BHPian

Voted for the i20 as it's currently the hottest looking hatch. Wish the polo was in the list too. That would have surely been my choice. Talking about zest, people are voting for zest just because it is better than expected from tata. According to me, that doesnt count for a reason to be the COTY. Tata has done what it should have done years ago. I would still prefer the dzire/xcent over zest. Just my personal opinion.

Cheers!
Old 11th December 2014, 10:11   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
Talking about zest, people are voting for zest just because it is better than expected from tata. According to me, that doesnt count for a reason to be the COTY. Tata has done what it should have done years ago. I would still prefer the dzire/xcent over zest. Just my personal opinion.
Cheers!
Please do not speak for all of us who have voted for Zest for we know our cars well. The Dzire should be rejected outright for tinny compromised build, the lesser power engine not withstanding. As for the Xcent, yes it does a few things better than the Zest like better quality interiors and better brand recognition but the Zest absolutely trumps it when it comes to the diesel engine, is a class bigger when it comes to interior room and has a sophisticated touchscreen system along with other niceties at a price which is much cheaper all things considered.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 11th December 2014 at 10:12.
extreme_torque is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 10:24   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
Voted for the i20 as it's currently the hottest looking hatch. Wish the polo was in the list too. That would have surely been my choice. Talking about zest, people are voting for zest just because it is better than expected from tata. According to me, that doesnt count for a reason to be the COTY. Tata has done what it should have done years ago. I would still prefer the dzire/xcent over zest. Just my personal opinion.

Cheers!
Does I20 deserve the COTY just because it is the hottest looking hatch? I guess no! People vote for the package it brings - features, comfort and so on.

Similarly. people (like me) here have voted for Zest NOT because it is better than expected from Tata. But, it has introduced some of the segment first features and at a very economical pricing. You can have a look at the review for more details.
drsk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 10:43   #338
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Zest! VFM product from Tata that is loaded and well put together.

I hope Tata manages to surpass Hyundai not just in terms of features but also in terms of the quality (of interiors esp.).
Old 11th December 2014, 10:48   #339
BHPian

Zest all the way for me. Great price point, good interiors, looks great from the outside. A complete VFM car. This car along with Bolt can be the giant stride for Tata in the future. I like !!

Last edited by model-t : 11th December 2014 at 10:50.
Old 11th December 2014, 11:00   #340
Senior - BHPian

First time voted for Hyundai Car and its Elite i20

I am not great fan of Hyundai cars but i must admit that Elite i20 is heck of a good car. Specially design is stunning. Car looks really cool & stylish expensive car. At that price car looks stunning. Looks like small car from Audi, BMW or Merc. Hope others will follow & we will get few more stunning cars in near future from likes of Maruti, Honda, Mahindra, Tata. Petrol version is disappointing as many said, it deserves turbo motor IMHO.

Zest missed by me & is at 2nd number as it has some awkward design to accommodate in 4 m mark. Bolt looks better to me than Zest.
Old 11th December 2014, 11:07   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post
Does I20 deserve the COTY just because it is the hottest looking hatch? I guess no! People vote for the package it brings - features, comfort and so on.

Similarly. people (like me) here have voted for Zest NOT because it is better than expected from Tata. But, it has introduced some of the segment first features and at a very economical pricing. You can have a look at the review for more details.

Am curious now.

Do you mind mentioning those "features & comfort" which are lacking in the i20 elite for the benefit of others, especially for owners like me who have done 8K+ kms on the car? Will be more than interesting to have a different perspective on the perceived shortfalls.
Old 11th December 2014, 11:51   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Am curious now.

Do you mind mentioning those "features & comfort" which are lacking in the i20 elite for the benefit of others, especially for owners like me who have done 8K+ kms on the car? Will be more than interesting to have a different perspective on the perceived shortfalls.
How about the below?
  • No 1.4 petrol anymore.
  • No choice of AT transmission.
  • No 4 wheel disc brakes.
  • No option of 6 airbags.
  • No sunroof
  • No DRLs
  • No speed sensing door locks.
  • No real-time fuel efficiency indicator
  • No touch screen audio console (specially when Zest comes in the picture).
  • Average speaker system (I have an Xcent. The i20 shares the same audio hardware I guess. Feels decent, but not outstanding as in the Zest.).

Most features mentioned above where dropped compared to the earlier generation. Even the speed sensing door locks could be enabled at the service center for the earlier generation, but is not an option anymore. The current generation i20 is 'Indianized', not the export oriented version like the first generation i20 launched more like a flagship in India - which later on became an unprecedented success for Hyundai! And they stopped exports of the i20 from India and I really suspect if it would have the same safety levels as the international version launched elsewhere - Hyundai has been known to compromise on structural safety for our market.

Another reason could be the soon to be launched - Elite i20 Cross which would get most of these features as a distinguishing factor.

These are not shortfalls for sure since most of the competition don't have these, but its disappointing to see so many features dropped for a newer generation car compared to its predecessor - specially since it didn't get cheaper anyways!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th December 2014 at 12:04.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 12:04   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
How about the below?
  • No 1.4 petrol anymore.
  • No choice of AT transmission.
  • No 4 wheel disc brakes.
  • No option of 6 airbags.
  • No sunroof
  • No DRLs
  • No speed sensing door locks.
  • No touch screen audio console (specially when Zest comes in the picture).
  • Average speaker system (I have an Xcent. The i20 shares the same audio hardware I guess. Feels decent, but not outstanding as in the Zest.).
Most of these were only available ( some obviously) on the 1.4 auto which nobody bothered to buy.
The car that really flew of the shelf was the crdi sportz which didn't have any of these.
So much of the supposedly missing equipment is not a deal breaker.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 12:29   #344
BHPian

BTW, the Zest has beaten the Amaze for the second consecutive month and also narrowed the margin with Xcent. That's a great way to announce it's arrival in a segment where there were quite a few strong players already.

"The Zest outsold Honda Amaze in October 2014, and it didn't stop there; the Zest has outsold Amaze for the second month in a row. Interestingly, the margin this time is slightly bigger than the previous month. While in October, 2014 the Zest sold only 42 units more than the Amaze, in November the former sold 525 units more than the latter."

Source: NDTV Auto
Masda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 13:02   #345
BHPian

Hi

Voted for Honda City due to its Diesel Avatar. This is the game changer for Honda after Amaze.

Sorry Die hard Tata lovers did not vote for Tata Zest as I do want to feel guilty down 2 years from now as in the case of Tata Indica V2, Vista & Manza.

I wish to see a 2 months/40K km years old Zest behaving the same way as 2 months/4K km old Zest. Yes for me the Aging or the deterioration of product quality is the prime most. After all we buy Cars for 4-7 years time period and Crowning them now is overdoing.
Closed Thread