Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12th December 2014, 08:01   #361
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
Our current COTY leader Zest beats Honda Amaze second month running as per news reports.

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/tata-zest-...e-month-711242
It feels good to know that our indigenous car brand has started selling in some good numbers. IMHO Zest has a lot in its arsenal to outnumber the likes of Amaze & Dzire's. Also good to know that the customers are making decisions based on logic rather than their age old perceptions of bashing Tata Motors even without owing one.
Old 12th December 2014, 09:25   #362
Senior - BHPian

Just looked at the options for COTY 2005 thread which is listed as a related thread and was amused to see the choices there:
1. Maruti Swift
2. Toyota Innova
3. Ford Fiesta

When would we see such a competition again!
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 16:41   #363
BHPian

Haven't really tried out the Zest but the Hyundai Elite is a stunner! The petrol engine is a big disappointment but they have stolen the show with super premium looks on a sub 10 lakh vehicle. Waiting for the Bolt to hit the road too.
Old 12th December 2014, 16:46   #364
BHPian

Cool re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
How about the below?
  • No 1.4 petrol anymore.
  • No choice of AT transmission.
  • No 4 wheel disc brakes.
  • No option of 6 airbags.
  • No sunroof
  • No DRLs
  • No speed sensing door locks.
  • No real-time fuel efficiency indicator
  • No touch screen audio console (specially when Zest comes in the picture).
  • Average speaker system (I have an Xcent. The i20 shares the same audio hardware I guess. Feels decent, but not outstanding as in the Zest.).

Most features mentioned above where dropped compared to the earlier generation. Even the speed sensing door locks could be enabled at the service center for the earlier generation, but is not an option anymore. The current generation i20 is 'Indianized', not the export oriented version like the first generation i20 launched more like a flagship in India - which later on became an unprecedented success for Hyundai! And they stopped exports of the i20 from India and I really suspect if it would have the same safety levels as the international version launched elsewhere - Hyundai has been known to compromise on structural safety for our market.

Another reason could be the soon to be launched - Elite i20 Cross which would get most of these features as a distinguishing factor.

These are not shortfalls for sure since most of the competition don't have these, but its disappointing to see so many features dropped for a newer generation car compared to its predecessor - specially since it didn't get cheaper anyways!
All the above features were at least provided by Hyundai before they realized that the majority were not interested in them... Now they have other features which compensate for the missing ones without much difference in price. The Zest on the other hand is the result of Tata's desperation... They had to do something different like giving AMT, touchscreen, etc as they had no other choice... But these features can't hide Tata's image of being unreliable... I simply don't understand why Tata which is making cars for the past 20 years which owns famous brands like Jaguar, Land Rover cannot build cars whose parts don't fall off... I'm sure the Harman Kardon system will stop working after a couple of times just like Harman Baweja
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 00:03   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.vps View Post
Ahem, that credit should actually go to the A-star isn't it? I quite liked that one!
It was nearly a lakh expensive than the manual one and had mileage lower by nearly 5km/l compared to the manual.

However,you are correct with the A-star as the first budget automatic .The wagonR was also available in auto on order.

Should have written 'first sensible budget automatic in Indian context' for the Celerio.
Old 13th December 2014, 02:34   #366
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
It was nearly a lakh expensive than the manual one and had mileage lower by nearly 5km/l compared to the manual.

However,you are correct with the A-star as the first budget automatic .The wagonR was also available in auto on order.

Should have written 'first sensible budget automatic in Indian context' for the Celerio.
I own a 2010 model A Star AT and i can tell you there was no 1 lakh difference it was 55-60k (don't remember exactly). It cost me 4.5L on road (including discounts) in Meerut which is lesser than what Celerio retails for. Moreover the a star has an ICE and ABS as standard in the AT. The car gives me 14-15kmpl in the city (can't expect MT to give 20 in the city) so the drop is more in the tune of 2-3kmpl. As a gearbox and driving experience I can safely say that A Star has far smoother gear shifts than the celerio (my experience) as it shares its gearbox with the Ritz, Dzire etc. I know it might seem like a fan boy post but am a really satisfied A Star AT owner.
Old 13th December 2014, 04:16   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
All the above features were at least provided by Hyundai before they realized that the majority were not interested in them... Now they have other features which compensate for the missing ones without much difference in price. The Zest on the other hand is the result of Tata's desperation... They had to do something different like giving AMT, touchscreen, etc as they had no other choice... But these features can't hide Tata's image of being unreliable... I simply don't understand why Tata which is making cars for the past 20 years which owns famous brands like Jaguar, Land Rover cannot build cars whose parts don't fall off... I'm sure the Harman Kardon system will stop working after a couple of times just like Harman Baweja
True. But history tells us that the cars built when a company is really desperate for success usually comes out real good. I hope the same for Zest.

True TATA has an image of being unreliable, but that doesn't mean the Zest will fall off and disintegrate! Infact, Zest has very good build quality for the segment, only beaten by Hyundai Xcent.

And regarding parts falling off- it is more the lack of build quality due to cost cutting rather than any knowledge acquired from being a global brand. The 4th generation Honda City for example had so many parts fall off as reported by owners- ORVMs, dead pedal, door rubber linings etc. Why does this happen to one of the world's best brands? Only because of the aggressive cost cutting followed for the Indian market. Infact, TATA seems to fare better nowadays- the moderators really enjoyed Harman Baweja while driving the Zest for the official review, but were really not impressed with the buggy unit on the Mobilio. Ciaz had a good unit, but the ZXi plus variant is not even launched due to production issues. Credit where it's due- TATA seems to have done a better job choosing Harmann for the audio!

Now, coming back to Hyundai- 'You say 'they have provided more features that compensate for the missing features?' Can you please list out the additional features provided in the new i20 as compared to the old one? The truth is - Hyundai cars used to provide the segment - best features once upon a time. But now they are good, but not best. Ford Ecosport, TATA Zest and Bolt, new City etc are examples that show that other manufacturers have also realised the importance of giving a loaded feature list. But then- Hyundai seems to have taken a backward step with the new i20!

Similar case with automatics as well. For a brand that pioneered small automatics in India with Santro AT, i10 AT, Verna diesel AT etc- I find it very disappointing that they haven't provided the option of an AT transmission on the Elite i20 yet- just when automatics have finally caught the fancy of our market!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th December 2014 at 04:29.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 10:06   #368
BHPian

Quote:
All the above features were at least provided by Hyundai before they realized that the majority were not interested in them... Now they have other features which compensate for the missing ones without much difference in price. The Zest on the other hand is the result of Tata's desperation... They had to do something different like giving AMT, touchscreen,
Hyundai started to provided features on their cars to woo Indians and counter Maruti, the defacto option for all of us earlier, isn't it? If that was Hyundai strategy to win market share, why blame Tata Motors now? Let the companies out smart each other and let the customer benefit with great quality cars.
Old 13th December 2014, 13:54   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Hyundai started to provided features on their cars to woo Indians and counter Maruti, the defacto option for all of us earlier, isn't it? If that was Hyundai strategy to win market share, why blame Tata Motors now? Let the companies out smart each other and let the customer benefit with great quality cars.
Tata motors was present in India before Hyundai... So where was its strategy for all these years? Nobody is blaming Tata for giving features but my point is it has done so at the do or die moment... Agreed that the Zest is a major improvement over previous cars but it has to first prove its reliability in the coming years which is one of the main reasons for Tata's downfall... Tusshar Kapoor can't suddenly come up with a hit movie and say he is better than Hrithik, can he?
Old 13th December 2014, 20:04   #370
BHPian

After long consideration I voted for Zest today. I have not considered top end cars as they don't influence mass market.

There was contention between the below three cars:
  1. Hyundai Elite i20
  2. Honda City
  3. Tata Zest
Considered Honda City for its good package and desirability. Though with reported niggles and quality problem, still it has aura and road presence to attract people to it. It has stood the test of time, lost the battle and came up again to the top slot with a vengeance.

Hyundai is improving day by day and Elite i20 stands testimony for this. Their quality and features offered are always segment leading.

Tata Zest was the chosen one, as it represents a change for better. The serious attempt to improve quality and features need to be rewarded. It just tipped Elite on this basis. But as I have mentioned in various post, Tata need to completely break away from Vista/Indica legacy.
Old 13th December 2014, 20:22   #371
BHPian

It was a close call between Zest and Elite i20. In the end voted for i20. With the clean, fresh design the car looks a stunner. A true blue premium hatch back. Though the under powered petrol is a dampener in the whole scheme of things.
Old 13th December 2014, 21:13   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Tata motors was present in India before Hyundai... So where was its strategy for all these years? Nobody is blaming Tata for giving features but my point is it has done so at the do or die moment... Agreed that the Zest is a major improvement over previous cars but it has to first prove its reliability in the coming years which is one of the main reasons for Tata's downfall... Tusshar Kapoor can't suddenly come up with a hit movie and say he is better than Hrithik, can he?
Well, I think your analogy is completely wrong buddy! To explain in your own example:
Tushar kapoor has come up with a good movie and the *movie * is being appreciated, irrespective of his previous flops. But, I never said Tushar is Hrithik! (not that I agree Hrithik is the best )
Instead of debating why and what TM did or didn't all these years, they came up with a brilliant product in Zest, and that is what greatly matters for this thread.
I do agree that elite i20 is a stunning looking premium hatch. But, it's an improvement of previous gen i20.

I drive a Swift VDi and if I'm in market for an upgrade today, I will definitely put my money on the Zest. TATA A.S.S has improved for the better and it makes so sense to bash on this matter forever!
balajisv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 23:46   #373
BHPian

I voted for Tata Zest though after considering i20 and City.

Why i20 lost my vote?
It looks fab and a size bigger and that rear is mind-blowing. I am sorry if it sounds double meaning...
But, overpriced by giving up features, seriously? Features were like the USP of Hyundai cars.
However its still the car for people who appreciate looks at least a bit more than substance. No offence intended.
Why not City
Killer looks and Feature list, as if it took over the mantle from Hyndai Verna.
But so many reported issues due to cost-cutting with a legacy sedan so close to Indian hearts.
Of course I am miffed and City won't get my vote...at least till its next update.
Why Zest...
Why not? It has got everything for the segment who want a decent looking car with good dynamics and decent feature list, without having to pay a hefty premium. Tata has delivered on all those attributes and done better than most of its competitors.
The only question is long term reliability.
But going by the build quality reports, that shouldn't be a downer this time.
And I cannot penalize this fantastic package just because there maybe 1% or less probability that it might be unreliable, can I?
arit.mondal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 13:10   #374
BHPian

There are certain factors to be considered while deciding car of the year. I would like to divide them as:

Subjective: Exterior Looks, styling, brand

50% subjective: interior space, features, value for money, A.S.S., safety features

Universal: NVH, technology, build, innovation, Engine power, refinement, handling, suspension, transmission, interior quality, price

IMHO we should not consider car's manufacturer, resale value, A.S.S. as it inherently injects certain bias. For example, If I say Ford and Maruti; mind has already perceived great A.S.S., great resale, low spare part pricing etc for Maruti's car over Ford's. Then you tend to look at the cars in this light.

My vote goes to Zest as it ticks many boxes in universal category and few in 50% subjective category.
Old 14th December 2014, 20:12   #375
BHPian

After careful consideration between I20 and ZEST, I finally chose ZEST!!

I20 moved up from an existing model to transform itself into an Elite model. Though it is grown well from the old I20, it suddenly looked so much like luxury segment hatch in the segment of Mercedes, BMW and Audi. Hyundai transformed first generation Santro into Santro Xing and later got into fluidic design, which set the bar higher in each segment and pushed competitors to perform. I20 is a complete car.

I chose ZEST over I20 to be the Team-BHP COTY 2014 because it is an ALL NEW CAR FROM TATA, from scratch. Though TATA pioneered mini sedan with Indigo-CS, it never really caught any attention. This is the II try from TATA, after a long gap, at a time when Maruti, Hyundai and Honda already have their models reaping success.

It’s a great effort to shake the confidence of best sellers in the segment right from looks department to features, drivability, pricing, AMT and many firsts in the segment. Many of my friends are now considering TATA with other international players. I am proud of TATA for their ZEAL to bring the ZEST. All the best.

Last edited by hummer : 14th December 2014 at 20:17.
hummer is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread