Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 14th December 2014, 20:48   #376
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Nobody is blaming Tata for giving features but my point is it has done so at the do or die moment...
And at the right moment. Courtesy Mr.Karl Slym. And I doubt if we would have got the Zest and the Bolt if Horizonext hadn't been contrived by him. Tata Motors could have been the same perplexed, devoid-of-ideas manufacturer.

And yes one cannot take the plunge and trust their reliability and after sales service with two eyes closed. But IMHO the latter has improved to a considerable extent. I know considerable is not enough, but it is also not enough to blindly use them as punching bags. Time will only answer if these efforts are really from the heart or another short-lived wonder. But as of now the future is gleaming if not promising for them, IF they gradually extend their product base as well as their service base.

Last edited by karzzexped : 14th December 2014 at 21:07.
Old 15th December 2014, 00:21   #377
BHPian

I voted for the Hyundai Elite i20. Mainly for its looks. And the features it offers. I've never driven one, so I cannot comment upon the handling and the ride quality. There is a saying " If you don't look back at least twice at your car after you locked doors, you are buying the wrong car". In that aspect Hyundai Elite i20 is a stunner. I don't know what majority of my fellow bhpians found in the Zest. Is it because of the turbo engine? Or is it the automatic transmission? Or is it the made in India factor?
docmoya2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 10:11   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmoya2007 View Post
I voted for the Hyundai Elite i20. Mainly for its looks. And the features it offers. I've never driven one, so I cannot comment upon the handling and the ride quality. There is a saying " If you don't look back at least twice at your car after you locked doors, you are buying the wrong car". In that aspect Hyundai Elite i20 is a stunner. I don't know what majority of my fellow bhpians found in the Zest. Is it because of the turbo engine? Or is it the automatic transmission? Or is it the made in India factor?
Elite i20 lost my vote as I couldn't vote just that it is a looker! As rightly mentioned earlier by a fellow bhpian, the fact that Zest outscores it's competition and eventually challenging the leaders makes it worthy a vote.
I'm sure many of them felt the same.
Old 15th December 2014, 11:12   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
"Car of the year" obviously cannot be judged only based on looks. That way the list would have been totally different.
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 12:26   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
"Car of the year" obviously cannot be judged only based on looks.
There is absolutely no laid criteria for 'car of the year'. Each can come up on their own . Every car in list can be made winner depending on the criterion chosen .
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 12:37   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know what majority of my fellow bhpians found in the Zest. Is it because of the turbo engine? Or is it the automatic transmission? Or is it the made in India factor?
You've already mentioned a few distinguishing factors, though they are not all.

Please go through the 25 pages of posts in this thread to understand what fellow BHPians have found or didn't find in Zest/i20/City or any other car they voted or didn't vote.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 20:37   #382
Senior - BHPian

The lead the Zest has garnered is understandable, but what is not is the fact that this is not getting translated into sales figures. Perhaps the coming months would prove that, though very unlikely.
Old 15th December 2014, 22:03   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The lead the Zest has garnered is understandable, but what is not is the fact that this is not getting translated into sales figures. Perhaps the coming months would prove that, though very unlikely.
Though people acknowledge and appreciate a good product, rarely they try to overcome the previous stigma attached to it and make a purchase.

As a fellow bhpian said, word of mouth is very powerful and will take few months and probably few more quality product launches to win back customer confidence.
Old 16th December 2014, 01:22   #384
BHPian

I just wanted to maintain I am not a fan of oddly shaped looking cars. And definitely Tata Zest is one of them. Maruti Suzuki Dzire, Hyundai Xcent are some other oddly shaped cars to name a few. Even Honda Amaze and Toyoto Etios fall into that category. The sub 4 metre cars are all in that category in my opinion. Why not constructing and maintain good roads than manufacturing oddly shaped cars?(Make in India)

Again, I am a fan of sedans. But I prefer Hyundai Elite i20 over Hyundai Xcent. Hyundai Xcent doesn't qualify itself to a proper sedan. So is Tata Zest, Maruti Suzuki Dzire, Toyota Etios and all the sub 4 metre sedans.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th December 2014 at 09:39. Reason: back to back posts
Old 16th December 2014, 09:23   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Again, I am a fan of sedans. But I prefer Hyundai Elite i20 over Hyundai Xcent. Hyundai Xcent doesn't qualify itself to a proper sedan. So is Tata Zest, Maruti Suzuki Dzire, Toyota Etios and all the sub 4 metre sedans.
Etios is not a sub-4m sedan. It might have wierd dashboard and a very bland look, but there is nothing wrong with its proportions.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 14:38   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
It might have wierd dashboard and a very bland look, but there is nothing wrong with its proportions.
To me, the Etios is the joint winner of the world's worst looking car. The other is the 3rd gen Honda City. Coming to the interior, the Etios was the worst until it was beaten by Honda in Brio, Amaze & Mobilio. Even a Kindergarten kid with some inputs would have designed a far better interior than the Japanese Mahapurush who designed them. Why don't the Japanese outsource the designs? If they had given me a chance, I would have designed it for Free
CarNerd is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 15:49   #387
Senior - BHPian

In Team-BHP, one can very easily predict the top runners of this content by looking at the number of posts in the respective official review or launch news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
To me, the Etios is the joint winner of the world's worst looking car. The other is the 3rd gen Honda City.
Add to that, the duo of Nissan Sunny and Renault Scala. "Hidiot" looking cars.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 16th December 2014 at 15:52.
Old 16th December 2014, 16:10   #388
Senior - BHPian

For me it is the Hyundai i20 elite. Probably one of the best looking Hyundai ever, in fact best looking hatchback in the segment.

If by any chance I want to buy a new car next year, it will be an i20!
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 18:04   #389
BHPian

I am sure why it has been so difficult to choose - there are many in the competition - it was the ZEST for me this year (and the argument could continue)
My views:

1. A very honest effort by the Tata engineers - shows their determination to come out victorious (remember reading somewhere that it took them 40 months to come out with this)
2. I think Tata were always the first ones to re-define Indian automobiles, e.g Sierra, Estate, Safari, Sumo, Indica, Indigo CS, Nano etc, just that the competitors always outran them almost always. (agree - not that all of these were market shakers and this is not a criteria to win this COTY) might be
3. It does NOT in anyway look like a boot added to a hatch - the car is great inside out.
4. Many segment firsts for a budget car (e.g. CSC wow.. cool move ) - what else can pull the mass?
5. I still dont remember seeing a sub 4mtr sedan (or a hatch) that can compete with space on offer within the inside of a Tata car? (Zest is no different except the boot) - Stand to be corrected if wrong.
6. Many more can be added but it should be old news for most of you here.

Frankly, I have never been a Tata supporter due to its ownership and A.S.S hassles - have seen my friend suffer (learning from others' mistakes)

Objectively, Zest deserved it.

Last edited by GTO : 17th December 2014 at 18:02. Reason: Please don't use more than 2 smilies / post
Old 17th December 2014, 14:10   #390

Difficult task ...But I opt for Zest and more over for me my love and heart goes for our Desi brand.
Closed Thread