Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 17th December 2014, 14:14   #391

My choice among these would be the ZEST as it has great space (I'm 6"3' so space is important), simple yet elegant design, and definitely looks sedan compared to its elders. I am sure that Tata has learned from its past mistakes and that this will be one great product from them.
Old 17th December 2014, 14:45   #392
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
To me, the Etios is the joint winner of the world's worst looking car. The other is the 3rd gen Honda City.
I would like to differ with you. I don't think Etios is worst looking (not because I am owning one). Agreed interiors are cheap with unconventional console. Looking at many sub 4 meter cars, Etios is well proportioned sedan. It is plain and jaded.

Also surprising is your comment on Honda 3rd gen City. I am sure there is vast majority considered it good and it was best selling car of its time even with petrol only version. Of course each are entitled to their own opinion.
Old 17th December 2014, 16:29   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
To me, the Etios is the joint winner of the world's worst looking car. The other is the 3rd gen Honda City.
You mean 2nd gen Honda city? Yes it was worst looking car when it was launched. But I do not find it weird now a days with all these Etios, Amaze, Xcent, Dzire, Ritz, Scala, Sunny, Eon, Manza and Brio around.

Last edited by Latheesh : 17th December 2014 at 16:30.
Old 17th December 2014, 17:29   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshBabu View Post
I would like to differ with you. I don't think Etios is worst looking (not because I am owning one). Agreed interiors are cheap with unconventional console. Looking at many sub 4 meter cars, Etios is well proportioned sedan. It is plain and jaded.

Also surprising is your comment on Honda 3rd gen City. I am sure there is vast majority considered it good and it was best selling car of its time even with petrol only version. Of course each are entitled to their own opinion.
Take one look at the Etios's grill and you would realize that the designers were given a single line mandate when they started their work: "Make it look as weird as possible". One cannot make it so ugly by mistake. One has to put a lot of effort into it, carefully and meticulously crafting every panel that would induce repulse. Sadly for Etios, that crown has been taken by the Mobilio.

Coming to the Honda city, there is a reason why it is called the "dolphin shape". There is absolutely no connection between the first two third and the last one third of the vehicle. It is the perfect example of a contraption. It is a different matter that it sold, reasons which are beyond the scope here. But if you look at history here, it is not the beautiful ones that sold in large numbers.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 20:32   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Take one look at the Etios's grill and you would realize that the designers were given a single line mandate when they started their work: "Make it look as weird as possible". One cannot make it so ugly by mistake. One has to put a lot of effort into it, carefully and meticulously crafting every panel that would induce repulse. Sadly for Etios, that crown has been taken by the Mobilio.

Coming to the Honda city, there is a reason why it is called the "dolphin shape". There is absolutely no connection between the first two third and the last one third of the vehicle. It is the perfect example of a contraption. It is a different matter that it sold, reasons which are beyond the scope here. But if you look at history here, it is not the beautiful ones that sold in large numbers.
Yes civic-sense, Etios is not going to win any beauty contest. But overall it looks well proportioned for a sedan comparing it to other C1 sedans. I am not talking about the interiors. Just to quote from Team BHP official review:

Quote:
If thereís one thing you can give the Etios though, itís that the overall design is well proportioned.
On Honda City, I took it for 3rd gen City.. No comments for 2nd gen.
AshBabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 10:24   #396
Senior - BHPian

Car of the year award should be given to a car that, in some way, offers something completely new to the market.

This time around, the contenders in my mind were the Tata Zest and Maruti Celerio - because both of them came to the market with affordable AMT!

I voted for the Celerio simply because an automatic hatchback makes so much sense for the way the car is used - in city traffic - and the Celerio brings an automatic gearbox in a "made for the city" hatch which offers good fuel economy to our "kitna deti hai" customer base!

As a side note - notice that the voting percentages are so similar to the various car manufacturer's market share percentages?
Old 18th December 2014, 10:37   #397
BHPian

Voted for Hyundai Elite i20. Hyundai has redefined the hatchback market by adding the premium tag. The fabulous interior and quality of cabin really spoils us.
Beautifully designed and the look and feel factor gives us the "wow" factor. It has created a benchmark and the competition will have to do real hard work to come and meet these standards.

I like the Zest too and took a test drive. The car is good in its own segment and wish tata can really create its space in the market.
Old 18th December 2014, 14:08   #398
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Actually none of this year's new launches excite me! The one that stands out to me is the Audi A3. I know its not a mass market car, but its a car that has defined a new segment and seems very well priced.
The Tata zest which looks like will win the T-BHP COTY, seems good, but not that good to be a clear winner, at least that's my opinion.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 15:34   #399
RGK
Senior - BHPian

I voted for Tata Zest and it is a great comeback. I-20 is not far too behind in my opinion.
Old 18th December 2014, 16:05   #400
Team-BHP Support

Zest is an amazing comeback no doubt, but in our crowded hatchback segment, very rarely something comes which makes you say "wow!"

And that is i20. So refreshingly different, so unique.
So I voted for it. In my opinion its the most attractive hatchback sold in India today in the sub 10L bracket.
Old 18th December 2014, 16:17   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshBabu View Post
Also surprising is your comment on Honda 3rd gen City. I am sure there is vast majority considered it good and it was best selling car of its time even with petrol only version.
It was a mistake... I meant the 2nd gen Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
You mean 2nd gen Honda city? Yes it was worst looking car when it was launched. But I do not find it weird now a days with all these Etios, Amaze, Xcent, Dzire, Ritz, Scala, Sunny, Eon, Manza and Brio around.
Yes I meant the 2nd gen Honda City. The others may be weird but none can beat 2nd gen City & Etios in the proper sedan segment. The back of the Brio is the worst among hatch backs.
Old 18th December 2014, 16:52   #402
BHPian

Thumbs up Elite i20 wins the Indian COTY award for 2015

The Elite i20, Hyundai's newest offering in the Indian market has been crowned the Indian Car of the year for 2015. The Street 750 won the bike of the year 2015 award.

More news at http://www.financialexpress.com/arti...orcycle/20566/

Seems like it was a close competition between the Elite, City and the Ciaz for the ICOTY award which is in its 10th year

Last edited by racer_ash : 18th December 2014 at 17:00.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 17:36   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Elite i20 wins the Indian COTY award for 2015

Quite deserving I would say. The Elite i20 is indeed a very nice car. Unfortunately, everything is trailing behind the Zest in TBHP COTY.:(
Old 18th December 2014, 18:40   #404
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Elite i20.

I'm not a fan of the way the new i20 looks. But it gives you loads of feel good factor, awesome plastic quality, excellent leg-room, adequate boot, ultra-refined diesel engine, excellent paint quality, awesome looking tail lamps and what not. That LCD screen based instrument console is a first for the segment. This is the only car which beats the Polo on interior quality, which is saying a lot in itself. The handling is now neutral as well. Hyundai should consider plonking the 1.6 CRDi engine under the hood of i20, making a new top-end variant.

Why not the Zest? Just because of the feel good factor, where the i20 beats the Zest comprehensively. Zest clearly feels a generation older than the i20 in spite of the value it offers.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 18th December 2014 at 18:41.
Old 18th December 2014, 19:14   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Voted for Elite i20.

I'm not a fan of the way the new i20 looks. But it gives you loads of feel good factor, awesome plastic quality, excellent leg-room, adequate boot, ultra-refined diesel engine, excellent paint quality, awesome looking tail lamps and what not. That LCD screen based instrument console is a first for the segment. This is the only car which beats the Polo on interior quality, which is saying a lot in itself. The handling is now neutral as well. Hyundai should consider plonking the 1.6 CRDi engine under the hood of i20, making a new top-end variant.

Why not the Zest? Just because of the feel good factor, where the i20 beats the Zest comprehensively. Zest clearly feels a generation older than the i20 in spite of the value it offers.
and from these all features the elite i20 miss the basic simple feature. fuel economy indicator.

Zest has almost everything offered in the Elite I20 plus projector headlamps, DRLs, Harman music system etc. and also at lesser price
tushky is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread