Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 6th December 2014, 16:32   #31
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

The Zest, for being not just a vastly improved product but a harbinger of better news from Tata going forward. Also, as a respect to the genius of Late Karl Slym who's efforts have been so overtly visible in both Zest and Storme.

I had mentioned in an earlier post, launching a fresh niggle free product (so far) is no mean achievement when even the famed City has struggled.

PS: Special mention must be given to the I20 for being the most coveted hatchback in India currently.
Old 6th December 2014, 16:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Elite i20. I really like that car. but Zest is also a defining car for Tata and probably deserves the title as well.
Old 6th December 2014, 16:36   #33
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

For me it was between the Tata zest which I voted for and the hyundai i20. The Hyundai i20 is the no 1 vehicle in its class and looks the part but missing some essential for class features and average driving pleasure let's it down for me. The zest is a huge upgrade over the past TATA vehicles in terms of visible quality and features and promises such a lot and hence gets my vote though a bit of an underdog. The lux brands have all overpriced their entry level vehicles as also the Santa fe so though they are very competent product their pricing kills it for me.
Old 6th December 2014, 16:36   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Zest, Ciaz and the City: Difficult choice to make. Zest is the turnaround car for Tata (at least they hope so!), it is a very good package at the given price tag. Tata's effort of improving definitely shows in the Zest.

Coming to Ciaz, same can be said about Maruti who has always struggled in the segment. Ciaz, the engines aside, is a beautiful car to look at. Interior space and size is great for the segment. Maruti pins its hope on the Ciaz for the C-segment. Not at all a bad effort.

While the other Japanese sibling, Honda has launched it's first oil-burner City this year. Again, good to look at and great space inside for the segment. Great equipment levels too.

Wish I had 3 votes to cast However, I will wait for a while and think more about it before exercising my vote.

Thanks!
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 16:38   #35
BHPian

Voted for Zest. Brilliant packaging, space and interiors and above all VFM. Segment first AMT diesel. I guess the overenthusiastic marketing of revotron is killing the first mover diesel automatic advantage.

My other choice would be the lovely Elite i20.
Old 6th December 2014, 16:38   #36
BHPian

Voted for the Zest - Amazing turnaround from Tata and a very very competitive car. Looks very nice too
Old 6th December 2014, 16:39   #37
BHPian

Voted for the Celerio. Wanted to vote for the Zest for all the amazing package available at that price, but I have some trust issues with Tata Motors due to long term failure record.

I am so glad the Celerio was introduced as a filler between the premium hatchback and the affordable hatchbacks that Maruti had to offer. I booked the car just after sitting in it, i.e before even taking the car for a test drive.

It manages to fill the gaps perfectly well. Also the first AMT available for the masses, had the competitors reworking their pricing strategies and much more.

It's spacious, feels like a large hatchback and although I have the CNG variant, it offers me some space in the boot - which in my opinion is Clever engineering.

No matter which car wins this round, all these cars deserve to be here and offer something specific to each buyer who has chosen one. I do see the Zest taking the lead, and if it can keep up with its intial impressions, it can take my Celerio's vote too.
Pratzgh1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 16:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Elite i20. Benchmark in segment for looks, features . Definitely needs a better petrol engine.
Not sat in Zest but surely looks like a good improvement for Tata. IMO Honda City might have improvement on features and interiors but build quality and same I-dtec as Amaze is a downer !
Old 6th December 2014, 16:43   #39
BHPian

Smile re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Voted for the Tata Zest!! Because I don't think Tata has put in as much effort in any one of their other products as they have in this 4m sedan. Even though it isn't revolutionary it looks modern, has the best interiors in the segment and has enough gadgets to keep the average Indian buyer happy. What more it is no slouch with respect to engines and also India's cheapest diesel automatic. It makes you want to buy the car just because Tata has put in this much effort and boy do they need to be given a pat on the back for the wonderful job.
P.S. All this 'gyaan' coming from a hardcore (ex- only w.r.t zest)Tata basher. They have managed to win one more prospective customer with the Zest. FYI I don't own a Zest neither do I work for Tata.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 16:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

I think all structurally weak cars should be disqualified from the poll.

I voted for the Zest as it marks the new innings of Tata Motors.
Old 6th December 2014, 16:50   #41
BHPian

Voted for Zest. In my opinion, its far ahead of all other vehicles at the same price point. The addition of safety features is another crucial winning factor for the car. As for the other vehicles, some of cars in the list are purely there for academic reasons while some are really close contenders for the top spot in their own right.

Perhaps this question has been asked already, but is it fair for a C-class and GLA to be compared to an Alto. I mean these cars are really at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Just a thought!
Old 6th December 2014, 16:51   #42
BHPian

Has to be the Zest for me. Looks so cool. I had a great experience over ashort TD too. And to me, this is one where i feel good efforts from Tata this time around.
Old 6th December 2014, 16:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

I voted for Zest as I feel it's the most VFM product available. The efforts by TaMo are commendable and I hope they cover the remaining necessary few steps to regain the lost trust and respect.
Old 6th December 2014, 16:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

For me it was close fight between the Zest and the Hyundai i20 Elite but I have voted for the Zest because
1. Excellent quality outside, decent quality inside.
2. Arguably the best looking small sedan in the segment
3. Segment first's such as angel eye projector headlamps, touchscreen infotainment system, daytime running lights, standard alloy wheels, manual and touch screen controls for climate control and the likes
4. Competent ride and handling, nice steering
5. Good passenger room front and back, excellent seating comfort especially the front
6. Good performance and economy from both engines especially diesel.
7. As an overall package VFM is undeniable.

P.S. Disappointed that neither of the Fiat twins are in the list even though they come with all new interiors and refreshed styling inside out. Avventura especially is a nice package overall and cheaper than the competition too. On similar line, Polo should have been included in the list too. Best overall package in the supermini segment.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 6th December 2014 at 16:56.
Old 6th December 2014, 16:55   #45
BHPian

Honda City for sure.
The car looks good, has a fantastic road presence, great to drive,superb mileage and comes loaded with features. Plus age old trust of Honda. City is definitely a winner for me.
DoctorKK is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread