Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 29th December 2014, 13:13   #436
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Frankly I am surprised that a car like Zest is the winner of Car of the Year! Perhaps due to lack of any other serious mainstream contender. It has quite a suspect safety rating and in fact no NCAP rating at all afaik. Just because a 1000 people like the car here, does that make it a justified choice? In fact I would go as far as to say that in future we as Team Bhpians should NOT choose a car with no/low recognised safety ratings even as a contender. That would go a long way in sending a message to our Indian manufacturers to work more on the safety requirements of a automobile. We deserve that much as a informed group of car enthusiasts.
dkaile is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 13:19   #437
BHPian

Glad that TATA's efforts to bring life to their product line up has started to pay (at least in our forum). I am a bit curious to know this. Any post poll analysis done? Or is it that many of the new cars purchased by our members are Zests? If some one can throw some light on it I will be thankful.
Old 29th December 2014, 14:49   #438
BHPian

I Voted for Elite I20.
But picked Tata Zest XMS pack in Petrol two weeks back for FIL. Droove it for 430kms in 2 days in high ranges of Idukki dist in KL and liked the Sport mode much. 6.4L for 2 airbags, ABS, Alloys, Projector Lamps, Rear View Sensors + Camera (additional accessory thru dealer), and fun drive. I felt it is VFM. First Tank Fill got 13-14KMPL.
1st service @ 4500kms, 2nd service @ 15000kms and there after for every 15000kms / one year whichever is earlier. An Annual Maintenance Contract (AMC) of 3 years/ 45000 kms whichever is earlier is also a welcome move by Tata.

Ram.
Old 29th December 2014, 15:00   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Frankly I am surprised that a car like Zest is the winner of Car of the Year! Perhaps due to lack of any other serious mainstream contender. It has quite a suspect safety rating and in fact no NCAP rating at all afaik. Just because a 1000 people like the car here, does that make it a justified choice? In fact I would go as far as to say that in future we as Team Bhpians should NOT choose a car with no/low recognised safety ratings even as a contender. That would go a long way in sending a message to our Indian manufacturers to work more on the safety requirements of a automobile. We deserve that much as a informed group of car enthusiasts.
But then, this stands true for most of the contenders up for COTY, so why Zest to be blamed alone? Agree that Zest would not be the obvious/default choice for the buyer as it might not be the best car out there, but it definitely is the best package of the 2014, thus garnered the votes of many BHPians.

And until strong safety norms are in place by government in India, we will keep getting untested (or little tested) cars in market, and we will have to choose out of them, unfortunately. But, there's a light seen at the end of the tunnel, as government is geared up to modify safety norms in next year, as we all know. Lets hope we get safer cars here in future and people in vehicles are not left at the mercy of god alone!
Aficionados is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 15:04   #440
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In fact I would go as far as to say that in future we as Team Bhpians should NOT choose a car with no/low recognised safety ratings even as a contender.
We might as well kill the poll and award the COTY to the Toyota Corolla then! No car below it has been crash tested by the NCAP or IIHS (except the Go which faired poorly).

Why single out the Zest? Every other sub-15 lakh car launched in 2014 - including the i20 - has yet to pass global safety tests.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 16:51   #441
BHPian

@dkaile
Agree with you, but the same applies for the contenders like Hyundai Xcent and Elite i20 as well. Going by how their EU i10 got 4 stars but Indian one got 0, I suspect their safety as well. I wish Global NCAP does more tests of other Indian market cars.

Quote:
Frankly I am surprised that a car like Zest is the winner of Car of the Year! Perhaps due to lack of any other serious mainstream contender. It has quite a suspect safety rating and in fact no NCAP rating at all afaik.
Old 29th December 2014, 22:48   #442
Team-BHP Support

I finally voted for the i20, but that's mostly because TINA (There is no alternative).

What went against the Zest :

- Tata's track record
- Zest's USP was the AMT + Diesel combo. The fact that they skimmed the airbags on this variant makes it a no go for me
Old 29th December 2014, 23:17   #443
BHPian

I voted for Zest and glad it bagged the award. However, by no means that means its a product that cannot be improved. Its a good beginning, and that is all it is. As mention by Eddy, would like to see a model with Airbags and AMT in a diesel, for a start.

Kudos to TATA for coming up with a product that can compete in its class as the one with "many firsts" for the segment!
Old 29th December 2014, 23:50   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

- Tata's track record
Not sure how long will people continue to bash a company on this point alone.

Many 'real' Tata owners have confirmed it's got better! And people who don't own one, continue to bash!
balajisv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 00:38   #445
BHPian

Quote:
I finally voted for the i20, but that's mostly because TINA (There is no alternative).

- Tata's track record
- Zest's USP was the AMT + Diesel combo. The fact that they skimmed the airbags on this variant makes it a no go for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post

Many 'real' Tata owners have confirmed it's got better! And people who don't own one, continue to bash!
I own a Tata Car. Hope I get the right to talk.

No offence meant to anyone. But IMHO I feel owning a car is not the criteria to talk. If that was the case, we talk about at least 10 cars in a day and we cannot own everything.

Opinion/knowledge about a car comes from your personal holding, your relatives/friends or neighbors may have the car, so you get to know more about the car.

If I say that Manza was a strategic product of Tata, will you disagree with me. Indeed Tata worked hard to get the Manza to our people, but it stopped working further to enhance the customer satisfaction or better A.S.S which didn't bring confidence in the customer and as result, a strategic product has become tragic. Isn't this part of track record or an important consideration for any car buyer? We are not talking about stories of those old tata cars where the oil used to leak or about the screeching sound. But we are actually talking about a recent product called Manza which was launched in 2009 and which is in the verge of its extinction so early. Isn't this sufficient to say that Tata has a bad track record?

What if the same thing happens to the Zest, which may vanish in 4-5 years like the Manza!!

We can still see Chevy selling Captiva and Cruze, Fiat selling Linea, Mahindra selling Verito despite very low numbers.

As far as I know, Tata isn't making any effort to bring the Manza back on track. They are more concerned about Zest. This makes me remember a kid getting a lollypop, chewing it deliciously and all of sudden see another lollypop and throw the one in its hand and jump to one another.

I hope Tata takes at least Zest seriously and bring in the confidence in the product and its A.S.S which apparently happens to be the need of the hour.

Last edited by rki2007 : 30th December 2014 at 00:41.
rki2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 00:51   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I own a Tata Car. Hope I get the right to talk
Sorry, but, I did not mean that people who don't own cannot comment.
I do not own a Tata Car myself yet.

TM is moving in a right direction and that can be seen in its products (zest/bolt), customer satisfaction (up gradation of showrooms /staff), commitment (bringing on board Mr. Mayank Pareek from Maruti) and working on Horizon next vision to launch a product across most of the categories by 2016.
Old 30th December 2014, 00:57   #447
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted for Honda City.

Quote:
I finally voted for the i20,

- Tata's track record
Bingo!

Zest D + AMT was a segment first which was a great point for selling but lack of safety beats me! There is fully-loaded diesel AT at this pricing which such a dial engine underneath. Tata just missed the party IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post

The track record of negativity which is coming along from a decade almost cannot be written off in one launch (Read Zest/Bolt). Time is the deciding factor here as to how Tata responds 'overall' on products being offered to market along with sustenance in customer satisfaction.

In India, sales are influenced by word-of-mouth, brand image. Both these points aren't good when Tata comes in picture. All we need to do now is fine Tata some time to understand and resolve the mistake and improve to get better acceptance from customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post

I own a Tata Car. Hope I get the right to talk.
You spoke it out well, clear and loud! You conveyed what I wanted to. Thanks.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 01:43   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Any post poll analysis done?
Since I seem to be the most jobless BHP'ian around, let me have a go at the poll results. Since the poll results are rather difficult to interpret, took the data from the posts till the final result was published by GTO.

Note - Need to appreciate GTO for a small gesture here. He did well by not voting initially. I believe his vote would have made a big difference to the results, and glad he took his time to cast his own vote.

Name:  ICOTY_Overall.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  111.5 KB

Name:  ICOTY_Overallchart.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  279.4 KB

5th place - Audi A3

Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!-icoty_a3.jpg
  • 3 people voted for the Audi because the package is a game changer of sorts in the luxury segment, opening up a new segment infact.
  • 1 person voted because the overall package seems VFM for the asking price. And it doesn't feel cheap inspite of being the cheapest option among the luxury Germans.
  • 1 person voted because of the desirability of it - he would like to own the car.

4th place - Honda City

Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!-icoty_city.jpg
  • With almost twice the number of votes as the Celerio - the City is in 3rd position as per the polls - but the posts count shows otherwise.
  • 9 people voted for the City as it is a great package for the segment.
  • 1 person voted for the Honda brand.
  • 2 people voted for the efficiency of the diesel engine.
  • 1 person voted for the peppy IVTEC motor.
  • Two people voted since it is the car they own / would like to own soon.
  • 1 person voted for the effort made by Honda to make a comeback to a segment which had been difficult for them over the last year.

3rd place - Maruti Suzuki Celerio

Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!-icoty_celerio.jpg
  • Perhaps the most revolutionary product of the year. 23 of 24 people voted for one single reason - the introduction of the game changing AMT gearbox.
  • 1 person voted for the overall package as it fills the gap between small hatchbacks and B segment hatchbacks perfectly.

2nd place - Hyundai Elite i20

Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!-icoty_i20.jpg
  • 24 people voted for the design. Truly the best looking car introduced this year then!
  • 16 people voted for the overall 'WOW' factor of the car. Hyundai surely has come a long way in terms of quality.
  • Two people voted because its a car they would easily buy / recommend to others without a doubt.
  • Two people voted because Hyundai has addressed the biggest concern area of the earlier generation i20 - handling.
  • One person voted for the powerful and efficient diesel motor.
  • One person voted since he loved the previous gen i20 that he owned, and the new one would only be better.

Winner - TATA Zest

Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!-icoty_zest.jpg

58 people voted for the Zest since it marked a big departure for TATA motors as a desi brand and deserves an applause.
58 people voted since the Zest is a brilliant overall package with no major concern areas and good value for money proposition. I guess - that also answers the main question about the winner of this year - Yes, it would have gathered enough percentage of votes to win this poll, even without the 'desi' TATA brand tag.
17 people voted for the segment first diesel AMT option.
6 people voted for Zest as no car in the list impressed this year. Zest is atleast an impressive product for TATA motors.
4 people voted for the design. Quite an acheivement considering the sub -4m dimensions.
3 people voted for their satisfactory experiences with the TATA brand.
3 people voted for the turbo-petrol Revotron engine.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 15:17   #449
BHPian

1000 knowledgeable people, you forget!

Quote:
Just because a 1000 people like the car here, does that make it a justified choice?

Last edited by Aditya : 30th December 2014 at 17:13. Reason: Fixing quote tag
Old 30th December 2014, 15:45   #450
Senior - BHPian

My only grouse is that the extremely tiny number of members actually casting their votes.

We have some 85235 members in all and only 2545 voted! That is less than even 5% of the total population of Team-BHP. Lets discount 50% members (IMO thats a huge discount, but still) for various reasons, we are still left with 40k+.

I hope more and more members vote next time onwards to really make the poll interesting. Whichever vehicles wins the poll, if it wins by say 35,000 votes or something, that would truly prove its mettle and popularity. May be we need to something different or additional to make more members vote.
Closed Thread