Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2014, 16:07   #451
BHPian
 
Seran Manian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 471
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Since I seem to be the most jobless BHP'ian around, let me have a go at the poll results. Since the poll results are rather difficult to interpret, took the data from the posts till the final result was published by GTO.

3 people voted for the turbo-petrol Revotron engine.
Wow. What an effort. Thanks for the analysis. A very detailed one based on the inputs from the forum. Thanks again. So the VFM Desi design wins
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 16:09   #452
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,965
Thanked: 16,736 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
We have some 85235 members in all and only 2545 voted! That is less than even 5% of the total population of Team-BHP. Lets discount 50% members (IMO thats a huge discount, but still) for various reasons, we are still left with 40k+.
Even out of that 2545 votes, only 273 posted in the thread to confirm the reason for their vote. How about that, when expressed in percentage of the overall number of members!

Can see many senior members missing as well. Would a 'none of the above' option help?

The number of views for this thread stands at over 1.17L.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline  
Old 30th December 2014, 16:09   #453
BHPian
 
A350XWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BLR/FRA/STR
Posts: 791
Thanked: 528 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
58 people voted for the Zest since it marked a big departure for TATA motors as a desi brand and deserves an applause.
58 people voted since the Zest is a brilliant overall package with no major concern areas and good value for money proposition. I guess - that also answers the main question about the winner of this year.
6 people voted for Zest as no car in the list impressed this year. Zest is atleast an impressive product for TATA motors.
Thanks for the details CrAzY dRiVeR.
I'm not convinced with reasons 1 and 3 which are given here and I think this is the issue pointed out by some people in the thread. How will you define a car of the year? The first reason more or less boils down to - "I did not expect TATA to make such a car, so let me award it the car of the year". For me, taking 10-20 years to match the quality of the competition is no reason to award a vehicle, the car of the year.
The third reason is also similar - Zest is atleast an impressive product for TATA motors. For TATA motors? What does it specify? Till now, there was no car from the TATA stable which I thought was good and Zest comes along and it is the best from them yet. So, let's award it the car of the year?
The second point is very valid. Good overall package and value for money proposition. This is a very logical item to consider for a car of the year and I totally agree with this one. Zest is a very good overall package for the average car buying Indian. It has space, equipment, quality etc at an affordable price point, with different engine options and an AMT.
I do not believe in comparing a car with its predecessors and not with the peers. If a car has to be awarded the car of the year, for me, it has to edge out its competition. It should not be because it is the best yet from the manufacturer.
All said and done, I accept the decision of the members and I do not have anything against TATA or the Zest. Just wanted to show a different point of view.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 16:18   #454
BHPian
 
ajnagpur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nagpur, Pune, Washington DC
Posts: 253
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Thanks for the details CrAzY dRiVeR.
I'm not convinced with reasons 1 and 3 which are given here and I think this is the issue pointed out by some people in the thread. How will you define a car of the year? The first reason more or less boils down to - "I did not expect TATA to make such a car, so let me award it the car of the year". For me, taking 10-20 years to match the quality of the competition is no reason to award a vehicle, the car of the year.
The third reason is also similar - Zest is atleast an impressive product for TATA motors. For TATA motors? What does it specify? Till now, there was no car from the TATA stable which I thought was good and Zest comes along and it is the best from them yet. So, let's award it the car of the year?
The second point is very valid. Good overall package and value for money proposition. This is a very logical item to consider for a car of the year and I totally agree with this one. Zest is a very good overall package for the average car buying Indian. It has space, equipment, quality etc at an affordable price point, with different engine options and an AMT.
I do not believe in comparing a car with its predecessors and not with the peers. If a car has to be awarded the car of the year, for me, it has to edge out its competition. It should not be because it is the best yet from the manufacturer.
All said and done, I accept the decision of the members and I do not have anything against TATA or the Zest. Just wanted to show a different point of view.
Zest has a edge over its competition. looks at the design, specs, space, equipment level and pricing. IMHO the votes are not just because of Tata making a spectacular car but also because it exhales in all the departments with the competition.

And look at the others in the segment, there is so much cost cutting that has gone behind. right from removing front seats adjustable head rests. I just hate that.

Last edited by ajnagpur : 30th December 2014 at 16:30.
ajnagpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 16:36   #455
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,191
Thanked: 4,233 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Can see many senior members missing as well. Would a 'none of the above' option help?
.
Honestly speaking, I was having a hard time deciding between the Zest, City and the Ciaz. Each one of them have their own share of demerits too. Surely every car on the earth has its own share of demerits, but then I can tell you for sure that if NOTA option was available, I would have definitely considered voting for it.
Finally my line of thought went like as if I had to buy a car, which one I would have ended buying from these three. Hence voted for the City which ticked most of my boxes.
saket77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 17:02   #456
BHPian
 
rohing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BLR - CBE
Posts: 183
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

I did not vote because I have not yet driven many of them. Therefore, my vote would have been biased and a pure reflection of other people's opinions. Even now, I wonder how many folks have actually experienced the car before voting vs. Going by reviews and TV shows?
rohing is offline  
Old 30th December 2014, 18:23   #457
BHPian
 
A350XWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BLR/FRA/STR
Posts: 791
Thanked: 528 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnagpur View Post
Zest has a edge over its competition. looks at the design, specs, space, equipment level and pricing. IMHO the votes are not just because of Tata making a spectacular car but also because it exhales in all the departments with the competition.
Please go through my entire post. I never told that Zest does not deserve to be the car of the year. My point is the reasons people have furnished to substantiate the decision. Some of the reasons are outright lame, like best car from TATA yet. That should never be a reason to award a car. That's all.
A350XWB is offline  
Old 30th December 2014, 22:49   #458
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
like best car from TATA yet. That should never be a reason to award a car. That's all.
The assumption being that "the best car from Tata yet" cannot be better than the competition??
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 31st December 2014, 11:58   #459
BHPian
 
A350XWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BLR/FRA/STR
Posts: 791
Thanked: 528 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The assumption being that "the best car from Tata yet" cannot be better than the competition??
I did not imply that. I believe in evaluating a car more on objective parameters. I do not say that the best yet from TATA cannot be the car of the year or it cannot beat the competition. If it deserves to win, definitely it should. As told already, my concern is not with the winner, but the process some follows to arrive at the conclusion. Would I choose the last Amby to be a car of the year because it was the best from HM yet? No. Parameters like ride, handling, affordability, features, safety, price to performance ratio, the ripple it created in the market and even looks matter. A company history is not a proper criteria to evaluate a car. I believe that a gem of a car can come from anywhere. And I believe that as a supposedly informed community of automotive enthusiasts, we should award the car based on these merits and not on the basis of a manufacturer's past.

Last edited by A350XWB : 31st December 2014 at 12:01.
A350XWB is offline  
Old 31st December 2014, 14:26   #460
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 83
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Congratulations to Hyundai Elite i20 for winning the COTY outside Team-Bhp and Tata Zest for winning COTY inside Team-Bhp. Wishing everyone a Happy New Year and looking forward to COTY 2015..
CarNerd is offline  
Old 31st December 2014, 15:10   #461
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
I did not imply that. I believe in evaluating a car more on objective parameters. I do not say that the best yet from TATA cannot be the car of the year or it cannot beat the competition. If it deserves to win, definitely it should. As told already, my concern is not with the winner, but the process some follows to arrive at the conclusion. Would I choose the last Amby to be a car of the year because it was the best from HM yet?
How does the amby example even apply to the Zest here? It does not share a single body panel from any other Tata car apart from the platform and even that is suitably modified for this application. How can you say that people did not evaluate it to arrive at their conclusion? The bias is implied.

What if HM launches a car XYZ which is segment best in some areas and very competitive in others and is also the cheapest in the segment? Are you going to say that just because XYZ is better than Amby it does not deserve to the car of the year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
No. Parameters like ride, handling, affordability, features, safety, price to performance ratio, the ripple it created in the market and even looks matter. A company history is not a proper criteria to evaluate a car. I believe that a gem of a car can come from anywhere. And I believe that as a supposedly informed community of automotive enthusiasts, we should award the car based on these merits and not on the basis of a manufacturer's past.
Exactly and please do not assume that we have voted for Zest just because it is best car from Tata yet. It is a genuinely competitive car in its segment and the cheapest. It is also the first car from Tata which has inspired enough confidence that people are willing to buy a petrol car from a traditionally diesel manufacturer.
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 31st December 2014, 15:36   #462
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,846
Thanked: 623 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Congratulations to the team in TATA who put together this car and the proud owners of Zest. I am glad i voted for Zest and i am even more glad that the choice was between Elite i20 and Zest, both being the cars i admired this year.

Hoping to see more action in Indian automotive scene in 2015. Wish everyone happy new year in advance
rajshenoy is offline  
Old 31st December 2014, 18:08   #463
BHPian
 
A350XWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BLR/FRA/STR
Posts: 791
Thanked: 528 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
How does the amby example even apply to the Zest here? How can you say that people did not evaluate it to arrive at their conclusion? The bias is implied.
I don't think you understood what I want to convey. It is not bias or anything as I don't have any issue in Tata Zest receiving the Car of the Year honour. I consider it as a well rounded product. My concern is a couple of reasons people quoted as their criteria for the selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Winner - TATA Zest
Attachment 1322684
From the above post -
1.Huge departure for TATA motors as a Desi Brand
2.No other car in the list impressed me this year.
Personally, I don't feel that these two should be even considered as reasons for awarding a car. All the other reasons are perfectly fine, because they directly aim at the merits of the vehicle itself, compared to the competition.
The comparison with Amby was for the points mentioned above. Departure from the usual philosophy of a manufacturer is no criteria for evaluating a car. That's why I wrote, "A good car can come from anybody".

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
What if HM launches a car XYZ which is segment best in some areas and very competitive in others and is also the cheapest in the segment? Are you going to say that just because XYZ is better than Amby it does not deserve to the car of the year?
If HM does that, I will wholeheartedly vote for that car, like I mentioned above. But my reason will be that "the car is good" and not that "It is the best yet from HM". Hope you see what I want to convey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Exactly and please do not assume that we have voted for Zest just because it is best car from Tata yet.
I did not assume and was talking about the numbers after CrAzY dRiVeR published the breakup of the reasons people gave. As mentioned above, I don't have any problem with any of the other reasons other than the two listed above. I consider those two reasons should not have been there when evaluating a car on its merit.
A350XWB is offline  
Old 1st January 2015, 10:20   #464
BHPian
 
AshBabu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 135
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post

From the above post -
1.Huge departure for TATA motors as a Desi Brand
2.No other car in the list impressed me this year.
The analysis and post poll discussion makes this thread really interesting.

My thought process:

1. Nothing wrong in people quoting first reason. Tata were known to produce mediocre product but have changed to give a good product. Underlying opinion is that the product is good and hence voted as best. If the product is not good people would have not appreciated Tata or any Desi company

2. In this opinion also people have selected the best among the choices given. So Zest or other product still leads the pack. May be a NOTA option can help. But I still feel that people might pick up a product and give same opinion rather than using the NOTA option

My suggestion would be to have a secret poll. This would help to avoid herd mentality and also will make more people to provide their comment after voting.

Also there was a suggestion of objective evaluation. Can this can be done by specifying certain parameters and asking people to rate different models on a scale and then aggregate the results. This is only an open thought and not sure how feasible, viable or appropriate it will be.
AshBabu is offline  
Old 4th January 2015, 15:06   #465
BHPian
 
Kn1ght1941's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dubai
Posts: 45
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Good to see the desi brand win the coty.

I have always appreciated TATA for its efforts to produce cars without any foreign collaboration, and the fact that they are bent on improvement augurs well for Indian industry overall.
Kn1ght1941 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is! GTO The Indian Car Scene 376 29th May 2013 13:14
Team-BHP Car of the Year 2011. EDIT : Mahindra XUV500 it is!! GTO The Indian Car Scene 447 16th February 2012 11:36
Team-BHP Car Of The Year 2010. EDIT : It's the Ford Figo! Dippy The Indian Car Scene 231 3rd February 2011 16:32
Team-BHP Car of the Year 2009 EDIT : The Tata Nano it is! Dippy The Indian Car Scene 239 23rd October 2010 20:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks