Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 6th December 2014, 17:58   #61
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

I came into the thread to vote for the Fiesta. Why is it missing from the list? Arguably it is a facelift but with many new additions, a different styling etc. If Honda city and corolla can be there why not fiesta?

Last edited by nvramsub : 6th December 2014 at 18:00.
Old 6th December 2014, 18:01   #62
BHPian

Seems Zest would be crowned based on the initial voting pattern. This got me thinking: this might be the car of year that a lot of people would not buy when push comes to the shove!

So Tata, a word of caution for you: please don't be carried away by all the hooplah here and elsewhere since there is a good chance Zest will garner quite a few accolades this year. Rather, please continue to burn that midnight oil and ensure the rest of ownership experience is beffiting the product you have created!
avisidhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 18:03   #63
BHPian

My vote goes for Honda city. Has really shaken the segment with introduction of Diesel engine. Ciaz will not be able to topple it even though it belongs to Maruti brand (had only they brought in 1.6L engine). Verna facelift is expected in 2015 but will find it difficult to dethrone City. (Even though suspension is sorted out, rear leg room space is still not sorted out in Solaris version launched in Russia)
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 18:03   #64
Senior - BHPian

Yes!! What I was madly waiting for!! This is a good year. Everywhere I vote, the candidate is a clear winner!!

Go Zest! Go Tata!
I hope this is just the beginning.
Old 6th December 2014, 18:13   #65
BHPian

Its a Home run for the Home boy, no doubt we like to cheer our home kid Zest trying really hard to get there, but as one of us said here, Zest is a car -
'Many will VOTE for but few will BUY it'.
Why? Guys give it a real serious thought, it deserves.

DIESEL + AMT = ZEST
Old 6th December 2014, 18:18   #66
BHPian

The Zest it is.

Tata single-handedly created the Compact Sedan segment and then went into hibernation.

The Zest is their re-entry into the segment with a Bang. The feature set and overall package such as interior space, comfort and decent handling are a class above any other offering in this segment and better than most premium sedans as well. It even managed to seat 2 6.2 height people back to back in good comfort in ur test drive. If I was in the market for a CS, this would have been in my garage by now!

I'm sure the new i20 is very good (I haven't sat in it yet), but my vote goes for the Zest simply because at the price point, there's nothing like it available. Tata should know they've got a winner on their hands, they just need to get enough out of the factory doors quickly. If the Zest had a Maruti or Hyundai badge, it could have been doing 10k+ monthly numbers by now without breaking sweat, thats how good it is.

The other notable one is the Celerio AMT just for the fact that it's brought cheap automatics (AMT's) into the buyers reckoning and destroying the perception of automatics being expensive. The Zest has also introduced it, but the impact from Maruti is much wider and key to increasing acceptability of the technology. However other aspects of the package let the Celerio down.

Last edited by gomzi : 6th December 2014 at 18:23.
gomzi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 18:25   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

To be honest, the choice was much easier for me this time around compared to last year. Voted for the Tata Zest for the following reasons:
1. Brings a lot of firsts to its segment like the AMT box + Diesel, new Petrol engines, exhaustive gadget list and what not.
2. Most good looking car in its segment.
3. From the reviews it looks like the quality has much improved from the earlier Tata products.
4. Competitive pricing.

Views on other cars:

Celerio: Nothing spectacular about the car and to be honest MSIL offerings have got me all confused now with multiple tin boxes occupying the 3-6L price bracket. The only noteworthy feature was the AMT box but for me it isn't enough to get my vote.

Elite i20: Futuristic design which has always been Hyundai's strong forte. You can like it or hate it but you cant ignore it. If not for the Zest, this car would have got my vote. Even now I would say that this is the premium hatchback which I would like to buy.

City: Nothing new about it. The City has always been a good performer and the story just continues with this version. The addition of the diesel heart has surely helped them overcome some of the problems of the past. But other than that, I didn't find anything exciting about the car. The last version appeared much more exciting to me. Also the reports of the quality having dipped a couple of notches is a let down.

Last edited by drmohitg : 6th December 2014 at 18:35.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 18:28   #68
BHPian

My vote goes for the Zest.

After languishing for a long time holding an aging portfolio, I think TATA surely turned around its fortune by launching this product. In my opinion, the Zest is truly a VFM product, the looks, styling and the equipment lists are contemporary and truly at par with other competitors.

The only letdown till now with TATA has been the below par QC & ASS, which I hope is in the process of improvement.

The other cars too are impressive, but I feel the recent facelifts have one or other shortcomings with respect to the predecessors. Honda's quality seems to have reduced with its latest offerings like the City and the Mobilio. Maruti is typically playing safe. Hyundai is offering decent products but for me somethings amiss and so on. Among these the Zest feels like a fresh wave.

I cannot comment and could not vote on the high end products like Audi & Merc's to be fair because I haven't experienced them.
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 18:28   #69

My vote is for Zest. True Blue made in India car. Also the right step forward by TATA.
This one has the potential to rule the Market.
Old 6th December 2014, 18:29   #70
BHPian

My Vote : Zest from Tata Motors.

The Elite i 20 came close to the Zest. The things that " I " found the Elite to be lacking were its
1.driving dynamics.
2.Elite Price tag

YES. It was a step up. But needed more to do justice to its engine.

WHY Zest ?
1.The Revotron. Home bred. A vital push, that indicates a bright future.
2.The big grin on my face when I saw the price tag. Absolute VFM.
3.Decent if not a refreshing driving experience.

Last edited by karzzexped : 6th December 2014 at 18:34.
karzzexped is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 18:37   #71
BHPian

My vote was for Scorpio. Really confused to the hilt, and the only reason for voting it has been it looks somewhat better.

@Moderators: Can the results be declared after 31 December, please Please don't display results till then.
Old 6th December 2014, 18:40   #72
BANNED

Zest for me. Natural, considering I booked it even before I had seen one in the flesh, let alone test drive it. Very happy with the decision, so far.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 18:53   #73

I would vote for Hyundai Elite i20 under the hatchback segment and the Suzuki Ciaz under the saloon segment.

Both these cars have come up really good with a reasonable price tag and very good features.

I liked the Elite i20 because they gave it a very sporty look and a aggressive look & I chose the Ciaz as well under the saloon segment cause they gave this car a very good leg room,a very good boot space etc.

Both these cars have got all the good needs which a common man needs in his/her car.
Old 6th December 2014, 18:54   #74
BHPian

Zest seems to be the favourite. Great going for a tata car. I went for the new altis mainly for the looks.I was drooling over a new black altis yesterday ! Looks a whole lot better (and different) from the previous car.
Old 6th December 2014, 18:57   #75
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My vote goes to Tata Zest as it was a love at the first sight!
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread