Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 6th December 2014, 19:01   #76
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

Voted for the ZEST!

A car that is not just a mere facelift, serious modifications, new technology and the AMT have gone in to make it. Tata seem to have done a good job and deserve some appreciation. Unfortunately, its not the first time when Tata cars get accolades while others get the sales. Hopefully Zest does the trick for TATA.
Old 6th December 2014, 19:10   #77

Somewhat reluctantly voted for Maruti Celerio. I have been driving VXi AMT for more than six months now and it is overall a good car, especially for first-timers.

I wish they had offered ABS and Airbags as an option though; if pressed for budget, I could have at least diverted the money spent towards accessories such as alloy wheels, music system, art leather seats etc which are not all that necessary for me.

What I like the most is the fuel efficiency, it manages about 17kmpl for my daily commute to office. This not only translates to lower fuel bills but also less carbon emissions, with the latter being an important aspect for me, which is really good. So, (semi) Automatic option combined with good fuel efficiency gets my vote.
Old 6th December 2014, 19:11   #78
BHPian

I voted for the Zest. Its a huge leap forward for Tata motors. I fell in love with the revotron 1.2T as soon as i took it for a ride.
Old 6th December 2014, 19:23   #79
BHPian

Of all the cars featured I put the high end ones out at first because they do not cater to the general public.

Of the remaining ones' the cheapest alternatives do not excite in any way.

I am voting for the zest because in spite of all the small short comings of the zest at the end of the day they can be ignored I feel

The closest to the zest was the elite i 20 but it looses out because in my opinion it has the weakest of the petrol motors w.r.t. power output against weight of the car.
Old 6th December 2014, 19:30   #80
Senior - BHPian

It was a slightly tougher choice this time since there are no products without any flaws.

First round eliminations:
  • Audi A3, Mini Cooper, Mercedes GLA, Mercedes C Class - Nothing extraordinary to justify the price and be considered for making an impact to the Indian auto scene.
  • Datsun Go - Plonking a powerful 1.2L engine and compromising on safety is certainly irresponsible. Cost cutting is at a repulsive level and this is going the same route as Nano did.
  • Ciaz - 1.4L/94PS engine replacing a 1.6L/102PS engine of SX4! It might sell, but Maruti has further downgraded its offering, especially when the competition is around the 120PS mark.
  • Corolla - 1.4L/87PS diesel engine in a D1 sedan when Honda Amaze 2 segments down gets a 1.5L/100PS diesel!
  • Scorpio - That rear styling is repulsive. Other than projectors, it looks very similar to outgoing model. They could have restyled it a lot more, considering this is supposed to be major upgrade.
  • Mobilio - Priced too high for what it is worth! They should have borrowed from City's bin instead if they knew they couldn't match Ertiga's pricing anyway.
  • Xcent - Only compact sedan with reasonable proportions but a 3-cylinder 1.1L diesel killed the excitement. Add to it the need to buy the top variant for safety kit.

My Finalists:
  • Honda City - Vast improvement in the interior and equipment but the once famous Honda quality seems to be going towards Maruti/Suzuki standards - not something people are expecting out of a Honda.
  • Elite i20 - Totally refreshed product with modern looks, but there are more omissions than additions when compared to the feature list of the outgoing model.
  • Alto K10 - Good product at a very reasonable price, but lacks the refinement. Made AMT technology more accessible to Indians, though the incremental difference is not so much since it was already available in Celerio.
  • Celerio - Introduced India to AMT. A worthy replacement to the position enjoyed by the old Zen and squandered by the Estilo/A-Star. However, other than AMT, there is nothing outstanding for this product.

And finally my pick for COTY: Zest

Great turnaround from Tata, beating the expectations and redefining the standards of the segment with a lot of "first-in-segment" features, which were not even available a segment higher.
  • The first and foremost point is the diesel+automatic combination that everyone have been craving for.
  • For the petrol variant, we get the first turbo-petrol CS in market as well as an ability to switch between different states of tune to cater to different driving styles - another innovative feature that is seen for the first time.
  • The first in segment list also includes projector headlamps and alloy wheels as standard equipment from base model.
  • The inclusion of a Harman music system that you're actually glad your car came with instead of an inferior quality one that the OEM forces upon you.
  • Addition of XMS variant means you don't have to pay for all top end features if you want safety, with ABS available as standard in mid variant.

Rear styling could have been better but since none of its competition is particularly good looking either, it doesn't score too bad relatively compared to competition. Only grievance is the lack of airbags in AMT variant, which could be introduced if Tata is willing to listen to customer feedback and improve, as is evident from a couple of minor changes in a couple of months of launch. Service and long term durability are grey areas, but with so many positives and no other flawless product as an alternate, this effort from Tata gets my vote by a reasonable margin.
zenren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 19:30   #81

Voted for celerio for introducing AMT first time ever and that too at such a low price point. Tata Zest was my second choice for the sheer design maturity displayed by Tata. I test drove Zest when a Tata dealer had put up a stall at my office and it looks and feels european.
Old 6th December 2014, 19:36   #82
Senior - BHPian

Excuse me if I am repeating, but why is the 2014 Ford Fiesta not listed again? Its not selling numbers, but its close to being the most perfect package in the C-segment sedan and most being the driver's delight to drive one.
anachronix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 19:59   #83
BHPian

Zest it is! Brilliant car and very good interiors. Remove the TATA badge from the steering wheel and you can't even tell that it's made by an Indian manufacturer.

Btw, why isn't Fiat Punto Evo on the list? It is a step ahead from its predecessor. I think that if Elite i20 and Mahindra Scorpio are on the list then Fiat Punto Evo should also be there as both i20 and Scorpio have same engines as their predecessors.
Old 6th December 2014, 20:04   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Excuse me if I am repeating, but why is the 2014 Ford Fiesta not listed again? Its not selling numbers, but its close to being the most perfect package in the C-segment sedan and most being the driver's delight to drive one.
Had forgotten about Fiesta myself but it may be perfect now that the price has been reduced and the front end is all new, the car itself is not brand new. The same rationale being given for the Polo and the Fiat Punto/Avventura even though they are more comprehensive upgrades.
Old 6th December 2014, 20:07   #85
BHPian

Voted for the Zest - a brilliant, gamechanging product from Tata !

I have had the opportunity to test drive the top contendors - Zest & the elite i20 in recent weeks and for me, the Zest is the more well-rounded product.

The elite i20 is a good product packed with great features and has a good-looking rear, especially with those wicked tail-lights. But as someone said "Hyundai gives you everything in the car other than great engineering i.e. driving dynamics" The elite i20 is a pretty and competent package but not a gamechanger in any way, despite its 56K bookings. The petrol engine is very good for an i10 but a bit of a let-down for a car at this price point.

The Zest firstly looks a bigger car than any from its segment (compact sedans), has contemporary styling that is appealing (though not outrightly striking) and has best-in-class driving dynamics - the ride quality is awesome and the handling sure-footed. The interiors are very good, its well put together, space is unbeatable, dashboard belongs to a segment above, engines are decent and the pricing couldnt be more VFM.

If this car cant change the game for Tata, nothing might !

I might end up voting for the Zest with my money too, shortly

Last edited by RoadTiger : 6th December 2014 at 20:09.
RoadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 20:09   #86
BHPian

Hyundai i20 without a doubt.
Old 6th December 2014, 20:11   #87
BHPian

My vote is for the new i-DTEC 2014 City - having driven 14,000+ kms so far - its an excellent package.
  • Ground Clearance Problem fully solved - the car does not scrape the bottom.
  • Delivers an excellent Fuel Efficiency - I have an average of over 18 kmpl taken over the entire 14,000 kms
  • Good spacious back seat which is totally comfortable
  • Sufficiently loaded features ranging from Cruise Control, Bluetooth, Steering Mounted Controls, Touch Panel ACC to Rear AC Vents

Old 6th December 2014, 20:11   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
My vote goes to Tata Zest as it was a love at the first sight!
This is my first vote since I joined TeamBHP.

I voted for Tata Zest which shows that Tata Motors are monitoring firmly on the core points from the customer's voices.

Their After Sales Services and history of Quality niggles are one of the factors that keeps the customer despise this different animal breed from Tata Motor's stable.
Old 6th December 2014, 20:22   #89
BHPian

My vote goes for the Zest. The AMT option is an amazing deal sweetener.

I'd have voted for the Honda Diesel if it were not for two aspects (1) Honda has over priced it compared to what it has on offer (2) Honda's diesel engine capabilities still need to be monitored for a while.

Last edited by anilp : 6th December 2014 at 20:39.
Old 6th December 2014, 20:27   #90
BHPian

Voted for the Elite i20. They managed to better an already brilliant car. If only they get a 6 speed auto along with the 1.4, it will pull sales from C segments too.
Closed Thread