Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 6th December 2014, 20:27   #91
BHPian

Am rating these cars without having driven any of them, and having sat only in the entry level taxi market variants of the City and Corolla.

Eliminations : Cars that I would never consider buying (yes that may not be fair) such as the Alto, Celerio, Go, Zest and Xcent.

Comments on the Others

I20: I must say Hyundai has pulled a rabbit out of the hat with this car - it looks scrumptious, and would be a strong contender just on that. I never liked their fluidic styling except on the Elantra, but this car has what it takes to be a timeless beauty. However, it does not have a diesel automatic (why?) and the petrol seems underpowered.

Honda Mobilio: there has been a lot of criticism of the interiors. Personally, I do not mind them. While the idea of tiny 7 seaters is dumb, it's works when you are going out of town with a bunch of 7 year old kids. On a recent trip out of town with friends, all the kids wanted to be in the Mobilio, rather than in a Superb, Passat or 3 series. It took a lot of doing to keep them down to the number that could be buckled up. A great car for Soccer Moms - would have been better if it came with an automatic.

Maruti Ciaz: Horrendous name, mediocre looks, and lousy engines. Probably will make a good taxi (nice leg room, good fuel economy, low maintenance) - I would vote for it as Taxi of the Year.

Honda City: Despite the cribs about the niggles, this has been a super hit. Turned Honda's fortunes around, and hopefully will be a little better in its petrol automatic avatar than the last generation car. Strong contender in my view.

Mahindra Scorpio: Can someone please tell me why this is considered a new platform - most of the sheet metal is the same, the engine is a carry over - just some changes under the hood do not a new car make. May be wandering off topic but I would have thought the Vento/Polo/Rapid TDi DSG / GT TSi have a lot more NEW to offer customers than the Scorpio does.

Toyota Corolla Altis: why has Team BHP NOT reviewed this car? It's selling very well - yes the diesel is only fit to compete with the Ciaz for Taxi of the Year, but a friend has bought the petrol AT, and is extremely happy with that car. The looks are hit or miss - the excess chrome makes it worse looking than the US edition, but it's reliable, and with petrol prices at sensible levels once again, a great buy for someone looking for a reliable executive sedan. Another strong contender

Hyundai Santa Fe: Have seen only one so far - has good presence, but I have no knowledge of the the product other than the Team BHP review - so will not rate this.

Audi A3 - Looks great, has a superb platform but makes sense only as a 2 seater plus kids car. Not good enough to be COTY

Mercedes GLA - Saw one the other day, and mistook it for an A Class until I saw the badge. Looks much better than the X1 but I doubt too many folks would buy it given the under powered diesel. The petrol may make sense for rich folks as a second or more likely third car

Mini Cooper - Another scrumptious car, but grossly over priced in India even relative to other CKDs/ CBUs

Mercedes C Class - Seems like a great car which fixes a lot that was wrong with the last generation C. The C 200 is probably over priced for what it offers, and will not drive very well. But a C 250 CDI, if launched in India would in my view be far superior to the F30 3 Series.

So what would my vote go for: from the above list, probably the Honda City. But personally, I think the real car of the year is the Vento with the new engines and DSG transmission. Will vote a little later, once I get to a PC ( when will the iPad app get voting?)
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 20:35   #92
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

I'd like to vote Zest, but given Tatas' A S S reputation it's too early to pass any kind of judgment. I have reasons to leave out the remaining choices due to some reason or other, so a 'None of these' would have been my selection, if it existed. Could that be added?
Old 6th December 2014, 20:40   #93
BHPian

I voted for the City.
However I have a feeling even before seeing the results that TATA Zest is going to be the COTY. Because of the VFM factor.
Both the City and Zest are results of the car makers' efforts at a comeback after mediocre sales in the recent times.
Both good efforts.

Last edited by jfxavier : 6th December 2014 at 20:41.
Old 6th December 2014, 20:48   #94
BHPian

My head strongly recommended the Elite i20 with its sharp design, great equipment levels and Hyundai's known service factors.

But not always does the head rule over the heart, which was floored by the "Zest"iness shown by TATA. They have come back hard with both the Zest and soon to be launched Bolt. And when a company makes an entry in my family, proud Hyundai Family of 2 Santros, 4 i10's, 1 i20 and 2 Verna's, its got to have my vote too.

So, its Tata Zest for me this year. they deserve it.
Old 6th December 2014, 20:54   #95
BHPian

Voted for the i20. I think it hits the value for money mark perfectly. Wouldn't but it though as a car named Polo exists.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 20:59   #96
BHPian

Voted for Tata Zest.
After a long time, a Tata Car, new inside out, quality as well. And not only by manufacturer claims, but by consumers too.
Old 6th December 2014, 21:06   #97
BHPian

Voted for the Zest because a month back I had test driven all new models from Hyundai, Toyota, Maruti and Found Zest to be a great package overall. Only thing I could find not so perfect was the panel gaps that were uneven by few mm but other than that its a sweet deal.

Music system that comes with Zest sound really v good, at first I thought they had fitted some good amp and sub in demo car but I was surprised that it was all stock unit.

Overall a good looking sedan car with lots of features and at price of premium hatchbacks.
Old 6th December 2014, 21:17   #98
BHPian

I voted for the Zest for the sheer audacity of the car, after the poor state its predecessors were in. Needless to say, it checks the correct boxes in my book.

That said, the Ford Fiesta is not listed, and there would have been doubt in my mind which car to vote for various reasons, price point being one of the major ones.

The Elite i20 would have come in a distant third.
Old 6th December 2014, 21:22   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Itís indeed difficult to make a choice this year with not real stand-out product.

The new Corolla Altis has taken off well, but itís appalling that a car in its segment is so poor on safety features. The same goes for the Santa Fe as well. Great product, but only the top variant gets all the safety features which is not cool for a car that costs above 25 lakhs.

Coming to the luxury segment, the A3 is a good car with this clean and elegant looks, but tad overpriced for what it offers. Similar story with the GLA Ė a good-looking crossover, but Mercedes couldíve priced it a bit better (and could have placed a better powered diesel in). The new Mini is a good car and now adds practicality with the 5-door model, but the pricing for the puny 3-pot diesel is a big joke. Add-in a few comfort features and the price can easily rival the new C-Class. If a regular Cooper D is priced so unimaginatively, wonder how much the Cooper S/SD will cost.

And that brings to my choice for this year - the new C-Class. Mercedes has managed to style it really well, and car looks so desirable from every angle. Also there is a scope to introduce better-priced variants and more engine options once they start the CKD assembly.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 21:32   #100
Tgo
BHPian

Tata Zest

For the chief reason that they brought in Harman to develop a customized and up to date audio HU making it the segment first. I'm sure the volumes this would promise Harman led it to set up its shop in India.

The car itself is a whole new design along with the new turbo petrol engine. Shows some serious commitment from their product development department even in lull times. Their effort has not been matched by any other manufacturer.
Old 6th December 2014, 21:41   #101
Senior - BHPian

I too voted for the Elite i20 knowing quite well that the Zest is going to be the ultimate winner.
Old 6th December 2014, 21:43   #102
BHPian

Zest all the way. I was waiting for this poll. It is good to see the resurrection of Tata, though it is too early to say it's a success. What made me to vote for zest is the first budget diesel AMT for the middle class and the value of money proposition it holds. Unbeatable!
Old 6th December 2014, 21:51   #103
BHPian

Tata Zest.

I know a lot of people are comparing the car to other products of Tata Motors and are feeling that is it great coming from their stable.However I feel its a good car period. That fact that is comes from Tata Motors is incidental.

The electronic features of Zest are a standout in its segment. The 3 modes on the car while smacking of gimmickry are a welcome trait in my opinion.

Looking at buying a hatchback and I am eagerly awaiting the Bolt.
Old 6th December 2014, 22:43   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

My vote is for Zest!! This product simply deserves to take the crown - Why?

A product which by itself transforms the perception of TATA motors and it's previous line of products.
  • Sharp design
  • Quality of materials
  • Features
  • VFM
  • Engines
  • Space
Is it a clear winner in the segment from a "product" perspective? No two ways about it!!! A complete package which has serious edge over every other product in the C-Sedan segment.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th December 2014 at 22:51.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 23:02   #105

Price,features,service ,mileage and truly value for money,Hyundai Xcent SX petrol.....is my vote !
Closed Thread