Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th August 2006, 18:55   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As the original post mentions, it is for the all new SAfari. Not the current one.
Old 9th August 2006, 19:36   #17
BHPian

Safari has already been doing justice with comfort, off-road driving abilities etc. Engine power, maintenance, poor spares etc were the problem. If Tata comes up with a real performing engine, there would be no match for Safari. Desperate to check-out the new Safari!
Old 9th August 2006, 20:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

They should also get the styling of the new Safari right.It should carry forward the character shown by the current one. What they shouldnt fiddle with is the ride and comfort of the current one. Anyway, since the platform is going to be all new, I think most issues dealing with high speed stability would be dealt with, especially since its main market will be Europe.
(They even pushed the antique engined DICOR there, and apparently some people were quite impressed too).

Last edited by sajo : 9th August 2006 at 20:16.
Old 10th August 2006, 00:22   #19
BHPian

Interesting news Sajo......
Im looking at buying a DICOR soon......
Old 10th August 2006, 00:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Considering Tata has gained insight from Fiat and from the kart racing technology. I would assume that handling would be miles ahead than the current safari. remember the Silhouette?

Also I hope tata sheds pounds on this behemoth.

For a 3L safari making 200horses it will easily be competing with grand vitara and terecan.
Old 10th August 2006, 11:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Ashok, this is good news but its coming in 2008 so can you please ask your friend to provide some more info on launch dates for the 2.2? Festive season is a couple of months away (I presume they are referring to Diwali) but Jan 2007 is almost 6 months.......

By the way, Dicor VX is JUST NOT AVAILABLE for test drives in Delhi or Gurgaon or Noida, only available on order. They are offering LX & EX only for TD, to me, that's one indication that they are cutting down on inventories....not sure if that has any significance.
Old 10th August 2006, 14:57   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Ashok, this is good news but its coming in 2008 so can you please ask your friend to provide some more info on launch dates for the 2.2?
I phoned him to know that, Initially he was a bit reluctant to tell(he really seems to pride himself as some sort of Tata motors's insider) but after my persistence he revealed that Tata will definitly launch it before 31st December because from 1st of January 2007 Euro 4 norms will come into place. It looks to me that this new safari 2.2 is only Euro 3 compatible(I forgot to ask him is it and I won't ask him again, he's a crap).

It seems their best bet to launch this Safari Dicor 2.2 is in this festive season, as you said suman, around the time of Diwali. The fact that thay cut the prices of current dicor exactly three months before the diwali, it is fairly safe to assume that.

Well Diwali is just 40 days away, lets see what happens.
Old 10th August 2006, 15:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ashok, at least that's the first "insider" disclosed launch date that we've heard of! Diwali is more than two months away though buddy... so you'll have to wait more than 40 days for it!
Old 11th August 2006, 09:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
They are offering LX & EX only for TD, to me, that's one indication that they are cutting down on inventories....not sure if that has any significance.
I had been to the NOIDA dealer for a test drive. The sales dude mentioned that the TCIC engine was available only in the LX version. And yes, no VX Dicor either.

Came back from the TD not too impressed.

Regards,
Red-One
Old 11th August 2006, 12:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thankfully, the best news, or "insider info" seems to be on the 2.2. It would be absolutely great if they could launch it before Jan 07'. That would put the upcoming Scorpio 2.2 on it's heels, and Ford would definitely be eager on the TDCi Endy's (hopefully the 3.0 version's) launch before March 07', which is expected by Dec anyways.

The fact that the 2.2 would definitely improve Safari's behemoth handling characteristics is a given. Just see how far better the Petrol handles, to get a rough idea. The 2.1 petrol weighs around a whopping 400 Kgs less.

The SUV scene in India FINALLY seems to be on the move...

As for the V6, I HIGHLY doubt whether it would be a diesel. The BMW X5, in it's oil-burner avatar, produces 218 BHP from a 2993cc straight six. And 500 Nm of locomotive-smashing torque. EVEN if Tata claims 200 horses from a diesel-powered Vee (assuming Tata has managed to develop a drivetrain that can withstand these monstrous torque levels), are we to believe that Tata has come to par with the germans in terms of engine tech, quality and reliability...? I doubt that. Tata's gonna be there, but not yet. In all probability,if it does exist, it is a petrol.

BTW, has anyone noticed that the new 2.1L petrol Safari is being adverted with reduced specs quoting 125 BHP now instead of 133 earlier (127 and 135 PS respectively)...?

Last edited by veyron1 : 11th August 2006 at 12:13.
Old 11th August 2006, 17:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok.harish
I phoned him to know that, Initially he was a bit reluctant to tell(he really seems to pride himself as some sort of Tata motors's insider) but after my persistence he revealed that Tata will definitly launch it before 31st December because from 1st of January 2007 Euro 4 norms will come into place. It looks to me that this new safari 2.2 is only Euro 3 compatible(I forgot to ask him is it and I won't ask him again, he's a crap).

It seems their best bet to launch this Safari Dicor 2.2 is in this festive season, as you said suman, around the time of Diwali. The fact that thay cut the prices of current dicor exactly three months before the diwali, it is fairly safe to assume that.

Well Diwali is just 40 days away, lets see what happens.
Euro-IV (or rather Bharat Stage-IV) is to come into force only from 1 April, 2010, that too only in the specified metros/regions. Check out this link:

http://www.ecmaindia.com/indian.html

In Europe, Euro-IV has been in place since 1 January, 2005.

Last edited by directinjection : 11th August 2006 at 17:24.
Old 11th August 2006, 18:19   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Considering Tata has gained insight from Fiat and from the kart racing technology. I would assume that handling would be miles ahead than the current safari. remember the Silhouette?

Also I hope tata sheds pounds on this behemoth.

For a 3L safari making 200horses it will easily be competing with grand vitara and terecan.
How and When did they get insight from FIAT, please elborate.
Old 11th August 2006, 18:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
The fact that the 2.2 would definitely improve Safari's behemoth handling characteristics is a given. Just see how far better the Petrol handles, to get a rough idea. The 2.1 petrol weighs around a whopping 400 Kgs less.
To shed some kilos, they have to think of developing the engine from an aluminium block like the Ford TDCI. For cost reasons, since the block is shared with the 2x L petrol sibling, I guess it will remain that way for some time. Hope Tatas think of developing one of the aluminium block like Mahindra is doing for its Scorpio 2.2L version.

BTW, does the 3.0L Dicor have "3.0" badged somewhere? I saw a brand-new Safari VX yesterday with Dicor written on it near Aundh in Pune. It had gauze stuck in many places. I was wondering whether it is 2.2L being tested. The engine sounded fairly refined. Maybe, I'm imagining things :-).

Last edited by pradkumar : 11th August 2006 at 18:36.
Old 11th August 2006, 18:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 2.1 petrol weighs around a whopping 400 Kgs less.
Steeroid mentioned that the 3.0 dicor engine weighs lesser.
Can someone get the absolute value??
Old 11th August 2006, 19:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

@nitrous: Well, the actual weight figures are thus; (all 4x4)

2.1 P: 2055 Kgs
2.0 D: 2040 Kgs
3.0 D: 2220 Kgs.

It seems I was mistaken. I had the Scorpio petrol's weight in mind. The actual diff. between the 2.1P and the Dicor is is 165 Kgs. What's even more interesting is, the 2.0D is actually the lightest of the lot.

@pradkumar: The 2.2 CRDi powerplant doesn't share platforms with the 2.1. In fact, it IS supposed to be all-aluminium. So is the Mahindra unit. And guess what- both are being tuned/developed under the guidance of AVL.
Closed Thread