Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th December 2014, 22:02   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Nagesh Basavanhalli quits Fiat India

Executive-level changes are typically seen in organizations finding it continuously challenging and having had limited success making inroads in the markets they operate in.

Fiat's problems in India are historic in nature - and those also tend to be long-lasting memories in a people's psyche; while their cars are really top notch. Perhaps it would make it easier for them to have a higher success rate if they sold their products under the Chrysler brand name in India, rather than effect executive-level changes.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2014, 12:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil0405 View Post
Based on that logic the heads of marketing, product planning should also go.
May or may not be. It depends on internal analysis on what went wrong. Also if KPA's are defined at the beginning and tracked, it will reveal the truth.

For example, in Fiat case, are their products good? we must that they have some good products in their portfolio. But buyers perception is not good. That may be one area of concern where the particular department to take ownership and work out strategies and evaluated on its success.
AshBabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2014, 13:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's barely 1.5 years since Nagesh took charge at Fiat India. Quitting so soon is a bad sign...shows the turmoil within an organisation. Instability isn't good, and those with a weak position in the market have an unusually frequent churn of top management. Think Tata Motors & how many CEOs its had. Or how Arvind Saxena quit VW in such a short while of joining (he was with Hyundai for 7 years before that).

Always thought of him as more of a technical guy than business manager. Even though Fiat's car business remains poor, he did bring growth in sales & the dealership network.
Yup, and its a shame that even though the Indian economy seems to be riding the Modi wave, Fiat can't seem to ride the turnaround. It would be nice to have some more competition in the space, especially from an iconic brand like Fiat, which has some refreshingly original products in an otherwise similar looking market. Just love their 1.3L MJD engine, and its a shame that Fiat could not achieve good sales inspite of such a fantastic engine, while the competition made the most of it.

Hope the new boss fares better in effecting a turnaround in Fiat's fortunes in India.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2014, 14:01   #19

Its quite sad to see a lot of people blaming nagesh for not introducing the 1.6 MJD. I think its not his decision alone to take the call, there are also other factors involved and approvals also has to come from the mother company. I do agree nagesh was not very aggressive with the products. Maybe he was never allowed to be aggressive and that led to his decision. Its better to quit than to be a rubber stamp or a puppet.
madroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2014, 10:22   #20
BHPian

My guess is the reason for the decision could be as simple as friction with Italian bosses. Having worked with Italians, I know pretty well that is not easy ride.
It could also be a better opportunity for Nagesh with better job-profile and package.
I am betting that this has nothing to do with FIAT overall performance in the country.
SKavuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2014, 12:37   #21
BHPian

As GTO pointed out, Nagesh was more of a Tech guy. He was known to be an indecisive guy within FIAT and not a CEO material. And with FIAT poised to launch Abarth and Jeep, its a good decision they have taken.

Sudden CEO exits always mean that they are booted out. Otherwise at CXO levels, they serve a notice period of at least 3-6 months for a smooth transition and continuity.
JKBKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2014, 13:07   #22
Awaiting Email Confirmation

From Rajeev Kapoor to Enrico Atanasio to Nagesh Basavanhalli to Pablo Rosso, FIAT India has had frequent change of head in the recent years, more than their product models, which is not good for any corporate to survive in the present economic situation, especially for FIAT India, which is in ICU already.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2014, 14:03   #23
BHPian

I was under the impression that Fiat India is slowly making a comeback. But this news going to create more problems. In my opinion, the product launch decisions are coming from Turin and not from India. So Mr.Basavanhalli is only partially responsible for the current state of Fiat India.

1.5 years is a very small period for an automobile company to turn around, especially in Indian market. Anyway one thing is sure a capable Indian should be present in the top, that will make their journey easier.
MaxTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2014, 15:42   #24
BHPian

I am not sure about the guy who's quitting. But to me Fiat India was the typical example of a great brand being completely neglected. It was a company living completely on face lifted models than new ones. I was one of those who laughed at the Hyundai Santro when it was launched the very first time in India. Because to me, it looked completely hideous. This was the time when Fiat had the Uno, Palio and the likes which were much better looking and of course much more enjoyable cars to drive. But if you compare now, Hyundai has moved on light years ahead of Fiat while Fiat was trying desperately to face lift their existing models with little or no regards to a decent after sales service network. In short they messed up big time in India. If Nagesh was the man behind Fiat Caffe's we see around everywhere now, it was a step in the right direction. But what Fiat needed in India are their new models than a bunch of caffes.
ron_9191 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2014, 09:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Nagesh took some risks and it backfired.

I had the privilege of meeting his predecessor Rajeev Kapoor a couple of years back and could spend some time understanding the dynamics of the Italian major.

The parent wing has not given a lot of decision rights and is sort of pseudo controlled by the EU.

Nagesh was more dynamic than Rajeev Kapoor(who seemed complacent over the years).
Yet, all his decisions may not have been calculated risks.

Some major decision flaws:
  1. Why would one like to introduce the Evo before Avventura? The mini SUV is the flavour of the season. Eco sport(one trick wonder for Ford is ticking). So is the Duster. Even, the Etios Cross and Polo Cross are doing better. REsult- Both Evo and Avventura failed.
  2. Why do you marginalize the driver delight Linea with the Classic? It failed, both ways.
  3. Focusing on MJDs rather that cars has made the company just "an engine" company.
  4. From think tank perspective, what happens when Maruti shifts from the Fiat MJDs to their indigenous engine? Fiat, may not have a holding here at all. This will happen, sooner than later.
For a company with a strong legacy, some of the best Indians cars ever(iconic 1.6GTX included), just 3 cars(of which 02 are basically the same with a cladding and a rear wheel mount), even the portfolio is weak.

Nagesh moving out should be seen as an opportunity to resurrect the once iconic brand.
It needs a capable business leader and not a techie right now!!

Last edited by arnabchak : 29th December 2014 at 09:41.
arnabchak is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2014, 15:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

What difference does this make ?

I would want to guess that he may have been fired than he quit. Either way, I feel it would still make no difference. Such a day for Fiat was expected, wasnt it? What did they do to change the game? They used to simply blame TATA for all issues with sales and service. Experience with Fiat cars was better with TATA, atleast there was many number of service centers to visit and name TATA gave lot of confidence. After the breakup, fanboys started to give benefit of doubt to all service issues saying they need time to settle and blah blah!! Since then, nothing has drastically changed to change the market perspective.

Perception on Fiat is largely still the same, their offerings are not as great, not too well marketed and what not.

- Linea Classic: Was a dud (Do anyone even remember that such a model exists?? Some get confused with non-facelift Linea as Classic)
- Linea Facelift: Only cosmetic changes. No newer gearbox or engine. Did anyone care?
- Evo: A good looker. No newer gearbox or engine.
- Avventura: Again, a dud?? Sorry to be so harsh on this new product, but thats how it feels for me. Again, no newer engine/gearbox

Evo and Avventura kind of point that its not the lack of newer variants that is stopping people from buying fiat. It still has to be the perception about the brand and not so great ASC.

Unless, someone who learns the problem in hand till the root, nothing will change.
funkykar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2014, 15:28   #27
BHPian

Apart from the fact that people got to hear more about FIAT more because of Nagesh, this news left me with a neutral view. This news/thread just gave another vent to let out our feelings about how we feel about FIAT. It's pretty much evident that India doesn't count as a big market from FIAT's point of view; at least their approach doesn't suggest otherwise.
Just take a look at Fiat Brazil website. http://www.fiat.com.br . In contrast our website looks so bland. If enthusiasts on forums have so many ideas on how to revive this brand, people in Nagesh's position must have had grander views. Maybe they just didn't have the freedom.
rav11stars is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2014, 19:47   #28
BHPian

Any one in his position would have done the same thing, his hands tied with a tight budget and management expecting a miracle to happen with his strategies that too expecting from a person from tech background is too much.

One thing that is evident is he excelled in some areas and failed in few.

He should have persuaded the higher management for more funding for brand marketing.

Going slightly off topic, on a recent visit to Hyderabad, i could see beautifully sculpted/lit Renault Brand Logo's affixed in Electronic Ad posts en route to the Terminal.

Not to mention the Flamboyant Nissan Terrano photograph Ad 5 feet by 5.5 feet, well illuminated and presented to the prospective customer. The vehicle in that image looked its best and gained a lot of attention from brand perspective, having been placed in the most strategic location of Shamsabad Airport..

FIAT badly needs doses of such lavish public portrayal to etch the brand name in customer's mind to inspire confidence in the product.

Guessing either Nagesh has already accepted an Engineering position elsewhere (Seeking Greener pasture) or is taking a break now.

Last edited by sriramr9 : 29th December 2014 at 19:53.
sriramr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 18:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Nagesh took some risks and it backfired.

Nagesh moving out should be seen as an opportunity to resurrect the once iconic brand.
It needs a capable business leader and not a techie right now!!
Fiat has been in the "resurrect the once Iconic Brand" mode for as far as I can remember. They had a brilliant opportunity at hand when they were over-booked with the Uno and the Palio, they just let the customers down with limited Service centres and costly unavailable spares.
The management at that time had this golden opportunity. From there on, their management has failed miserably. And from the looks of things so far, I think they will continue to remain in this "resurrect" mode for a long time to come, looking at their schedules of new launches.

Whatever their management thinks, according to me, a company with a portfolio of just 2 cars 5+ years old (none of which had the success of the likes of Duster and Ecosport) has no place in Indian market.

EDIT: I really feel they should just shut their car shop until they have a concrete comeback action plan, and continue with the MJD engines till then.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 30th December 2014 at 18:42.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:16   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Fiat has been in the "resurrect the once Iconic Brand" mode for as far as I can remember.

EDIT: I really feel they should just shut their car shop until they have a concrete comeback action plan, and continue with the MJD engines till then.
I understand your frustration Vinit, and as a Fiat owner it angers me to see that Fiat has missed many opportunities in the past.

They have great cars but they are unable to sell in big numbers, but shutting shop will only worsen things - it will send the message that the company has given up and no one will buy a fiat when they come back.

Like in cricket, whether a captains strategy fails or the team fails to execute a brilliant strategy, the result is the same - the team loses.

Marketing failed to highlight the strengths of Fiat cars. Their management (Indian+Italian) failed to spot opportunities and introduce relevant products at right time. The ASS improved a lot in last 2 years (at least in Bangalore) and this was not highlighted.

However, there are a few brilliant and dedicated people (ex. Mr. Mangesh, some dealers like Vecto Motors, service advisers and technicians) who have worked really hard and gone out of their way to keep Fiat customers happy.

Despite all odds, they are still optimistic of a turn around and are working to keep the brand alive and attractive by keeping customers like me happy. All I say is - May their tribe increase. Hopefully someone of their kind will head Fiat soon and the passion with which their cars were designed and built will also make its way into marketing, sales and service.
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote