Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 19th May 2017, 14:35   #226
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work

Unbelievable - Honda flew journalists and their entire families to Hawaii for the Odyssey's press drive Link 1 & Link 2 .

I'd never be comfortable flying my family out for a press drive event.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 14:51   #227
BHPian

With this latest stunt, Honda has raised ethical issues. It would be difficult for ordinary people to refuse such largesse and then not to give a good review for the product. This can become a precedent, hope more don't follow suit. If not people will eventually make out the truth and the reviewers would have lost credibility beyond repair. To stay relevant in the long run, I believe one has to have an integrity. Easier said than done.
The Rationalist is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 15:50   #228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Unbelievable - Honda flew journalists and their entire families to Hawaii for the Odyssey's press drive Link 1 & Link 2 .

Considering it is a family van in the US, its kind of smart to let the journalists sample it with their own family so they could have used all the features.
Akshay1234 is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 16:50   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I agree. Mind you, things are a little bit different in the USA when it comes to these sort of things. In business relationships itís not unusual at all for both sides to bring their partners along to dinners, entertainment etc.

As far as I know, tax deductible too! So, whilst itís probably perfectly legal, especially in terms of relationships with the press, I would think it to be more prudent not to do so.

Interestingly this guy disclosed it himself up front, not as if he tried to hide it. But still, especially as a press representative I would think a more neutral stance would be beneficial/expected by your audience.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 16:59   #230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

True and I agree with Akshay1234. This is actually the best way to review a mini van. There's no point in reviewing handling and ride for a mini van. This was very unique.

However there is a moral dilemma as you mentioned.

Moreover, it must be a nightmare for the PR/ event management company to manage logistics. I can't imagine the chaos over dinner with kids and wives of the journos not knowing who the others are but at the same event. Entertainment guaranteed.

What I really liked about TTAC was they refused the social media checking in and tagging and probably the sound and video bytes which we usually don't subscribe to as well

Last edited by Vid6639 : 19th May 2017 at 17:01.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:59   #231
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Considering it is a family van in the US, its kind of smart to let the journalists sample it with their own family so they could have used all the features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
True and I agree with Akshay1234. This is actually the best way to review a mini van. There's no point in reviewing handling and ride for a mini van. This was very unique.
I see your POV, but still think it's a horrible idea.

1. What the Odyssey is to the USA, the Innova is to us. We evaluated every possible bit about that car without taking the family along - link.

2. If a journalist indeed wants to take his family's inputs, call for the media vehicle in your hometown (after the media drive).

3. Frankly, non-car inclined family members offer a few sprinkling comments at best. While they are valuable, they are far & few between. The ability to accurately review cars is a skill, but one which has no formal education.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote