Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2015, 15:49   #61
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,242
Thanked: 10,496 Times
Default Re: Delhi: More cars than Bangalore, Chennai & Mumbai combined!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Taking the topic further, 25,10,367 cars were sold in India in 2014 out of which 50% were sold in 25/153 cities!

No prizes for guessing, Delhi alone, contributed nearly 10% of the total car sales in India.
No wonder, Bangalore is the only city from Karnataka that appears in this list.

The below picture depicts the state of affairs in every state and see how Karnataka with just Bangalore alone is 4th from Top!!

Name:  Sales.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  48.7 KB

(*Easy to call NCR as one big City)

Ranting about traffic, narrow roads and dense traffic?

In fact, even on most of the highways in Karnataka that I drive, I find traffic thins down beyond Bangalore which is not the case in other states.

Drive in MH, KL, GJ or UP and there is lot (& a lot more) private traffic comprising of cars even on weekdays.

I see least private cars on Karnataka highways when compared to other states.

High time that our Govt starts focusing on developing other cities like Mysore, Mangalore, Hubli, Belgaum as an alternate to Bangalore for Education, Jobs, Industries and disperse the already crowded population here.

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd March 2015 at 16:07. Reason: Added picture
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2015, 16:52   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,445
Thanked: 837 Times
Default Re: Delhi: More cars than Bangalore, Chennai & Mumbai combined!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
High time that our Govt starts focusing on developing other cities like Mysore, Mangalore, Hubli, Belgaum as an alternate to Bangalore for Education, Jobs, Industries and disperse the already crowded population here.
OT: Though less in population, other cities, Mysore, Mangalore, Hubli, Belgaum are as good as Bangalore when it comes to education and quality of life. To be fair to Govt, they have tax benefits for new industries, good residential layouts for people looking to settle down in other cities. But people don't want to move out of Bangalore ! Its more like chicken-egg problem - people don't want to move till there are jobs & jobs won't happen till there is critical mass.

May be its time to improve connectivity from Bangalore - 1 hr to Mysore & 3 hr to Mangalore. Hopefully people will settle in these cities and commute to Bangalore for work.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2015, 17:01   #63
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,242
Thanked: 10,496 Times
Default Re: Delhi: More cars than Bangalore, Chennai & Mumbai combined!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
OT: Though less in population, other cities, Mysore, Mangalore, Hubli, Belgaum are as good as Bangalore when it comes to education and quality of life.
Aware of this as I am born in KA and spent good years in Mangalore as well doing my 12th . In fact, Mangalore does attract its share of out of state students even today (Earlier it was famous for overseas students all over South Canara)

Sadly, after finishing their education, everyone flocks Bangalore even if they have graduated from Mysore or Mangalore or Dharwad. Its a proof that there is absolutely nothing that an Engineering Graduate can expect when it comes ot Job options with a fat pay in any other cities. The Job hunt begins right at Bangalore and nowhere else. Why just Engineering, even a graduate in other streams will eye Bangalore, a Cabbie as well!!

Take for example MH - Industries ranging from IT, Pharmacy, Mechanical to Automotive are scattered across the state in various cities that one doesn't flock the state capital Mumbai for Job hunting. They manage this with Pune or Aurangabad as well!

The point here is that even after 5 more years, the traffic conditions are not going to get any better despite of whatever novel idea or Metro connectivity. The roads and the city is too dense now if you want to commute from Point A to B.

Talking about cars so that we remain with the topic, People will continue to buy cars like they did earlier. Cabs and BMTC buses will only expand in numbers to cater to the increasing crowd.

Mysore, Mangalore, Hubli or Belgaum will still grow at snail's pace asking for Industrial growth year after year and I guess our kids too will settle in Bangalore for Jobs after graduation and buy cars again to ensure Bangalore surpasses NCR .

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd March 2015 at 17:06.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 12:13   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 127 Times
Default Re: Delhi: More cars than Bangalore, Chennai & Mumbai combined!

Cross posting from another thread because this is relevant here. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post4001650 (Mumbai leads car density rankings at 430 cars per km)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
I find that funny. Why would any statistician include just these 3 RTOs, as this is never going to be accurate. Tardeo, Andheri and Wadala RTO, i.e MH01 MH02 and MH03. IMO for a correct picture the stats should add up the numbers from MH01, MH02, MH03, MH04, MH05, MH06, MH46, MH47 and MH48. Still a huge chuck of luxury cars will be left out of the stats because, most of them seem to be registered in JH,PY,DN among others.
heavy_foot is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 14:05   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
VeluM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,296
Thanked: 663 Times
Default Re: Delhi: More cars than Bangalore, Chennai & Mumbai combined!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The point here is that even after 5 more years, the traffic conditions are not going to get any better despite of whatever novel idea or Metro connectivity. The roads and the city is too dense now if you want to commute from Point A to B.
I disagree to an extent. There is a genuine effort to build better footpaths, roads and general traffic related infrastructure in the recent past (last two years), and I see traffic flow becoming better, if not density.

The Metro has and will continue to support the reduction of traffic density with the future stages/phases that connect more of the city. Already the commuter density on phase 1 (which was abysmally low at around 12k per day) has increased 5-10 fold due to its extension. This will become a lifeline in the future, just as it is for Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Talking about cars so that we remain with the topic, People will continue to buy cars like they did earlier. Cabs and BMTC buses will only expand in numbers to cater to the increasing crowd.

Mysore, Mangalore, Hubli or Belgaum will still grow at snail's pace asking for Industrial growth year after year and I guess our kids too will settle in Bangalore for Jobs after graduation and buy cars again to ensure Bangalore surpasses NCR .
It will be almost impossible to surpass NCR in the sheer number of vehicles unless some sort of a ban is imposed purely because of the size of the city/state. NCR is massive, and expanding.

Given that the metro network is so extensive, good, and expanding, I think the government will start to impose heavier taxes and penalties for using personal transport. However Delhi being Delhi, that won't stop people from buying cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
Yup, again because of the size difference. NCR is huge.

Last edited by VeluM : 22nd June 2016 at 14:07.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 10:58   #66
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 71
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: Delhi: More cars than Bangalore, Chennai & Mumbai combined!

Just goes to show how much the Karnataka state government is earning by levying one of the highest taxes for vehicles in the country.
Does the high number of vehicles in Delhi also contribute to the lower prices for second hand cars? In that case, can we expect the second hand car prices to become a bit lower in Bengaluru too?
Of course that is if the state govt does not increase taxes on new cars.

Last edited by NiXTriX2004 : 23rd June 2016 at 11:01.
NiXTriX2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why don't FORD dealerships in Delhi/ NCR last for more than 2-3 years? sidindica Indian Car Dealerships 16 1st October 2017 09:13
Delhi - Mcleodganj - Delhi. (More smiles than miles) Biraj Travelogues 14 12th September 2014 07:16
Should bikes have front / rear brakes activated together (CBS - Combined Braking Sys) muni Motorbikes 38 22nd March 2009 15:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks