Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th January 2015, 00:41   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Desperately wanted: A Hot Hatch for the Indian enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Put simply a mid variant polo was better equipped. The fully loaded diesel version if I remember was going on for about 40 lakhs OTR.
Not just that, if you drove a BMW 1-series petrol and a Polo GT-TDI (1.6 litre version) back-to-back, you would buy the 10-lakh rupee car over the 30-odd-lakh rupee one.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2015, 23:17   #107
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the wish for a hot hatch will be fulfilled soon, though it may not meet the expectations of the OP. Autocar India scoops the imminent launch of Punto Tjet in the first half of this year. According to them it will be priced around 7L.

Guess it's time to cut back on spending and start saving

source - http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...er-392922.aspx

Last edited by safari_lover : 22nd January 2015 at 23:21.
safari_lover is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2015, 23:49   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Looks like the wish for a hot hatch will be fulfilled soon, though it may not meet the expectations of the OP. Autocar India scoops the imminent launch of Punto Tjet in the first half of this year. According to them it will be priced around 7L.

Guess it's time to cut back on spending and start saving

source - http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...er-392922.aspx
Even though it's a warm hatch by world standards, it'll definitely be a hot hatch for India. This one will be the spiritual successor of Palio 1.6

You're right about the saving part. Will start from tomorrow.

A red hot Punto TJet in Exotica Red please
theredliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 00:45   #109
BHPian

Wow!!! Looks like Fiat was also following Team-BHP. Almost everyone here wanted this combo and cursed Fiat for not providing this. Now finally, Fiat has heard our requests. Now we need to see how much this is going to help increase the Punto sales.
Vigkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 09:21   #110
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow..finally the car I had been waiting for !!

I even mentioned in Fiat's feedback form in the Performance Show, 2014 that they MUST plonk the 1.4 T-Jet into the Punto. This news just made my day.

People who know me closely know that I am very much into motorcycles, and cars really don't interest me unless its a BMW 328i and the likes. But the Linea T-Jet always interested me, the only thing I was not too fond of was the length of the car.

With the Punto T-Jet, I think I finally have a car of my dreams in my budget !

Have to shelve my plans to get the RC390 now and start saving for the T-Jet Punto.
//M is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 09:50   #111
Team-BHP Support

Interesting!

I'd assumed Fiat would sell an Abarth-badged Punto powered by a lightly massaged T-Jet motor supplemented with upgraded brakes and a reworked chassis.

A regular Punto with a 113 horsepower turbocharged petrol engine priced under 10 lakhs on-the-road is still a mouth-watering prospect!

The only concern I have, other than the questionable after-sales-service, is the rubbery and notchy gearbox that's bound to sap some of the fun factor from this little hatch. I'm sincerely hoping Fiat has addressed this niggle.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:48   #112
BHPian

TATA : Having launched the Bolt with just 75ps (FGT, lower spec intercooler etc) in Diesel 1.3mjd version, I'm disappointed with the pricing. I wouldn't consider TATA Motors as a VFM car maker anymore.

Anyway, just hope their marginal success doesn't get to their head (although I have a gut feeling that it quite surely will). Mayank is afterall a Maruti man.

FIAT : Punto Evo 1.4T-Jet, BRILLIANT. They definitely needed this. Dunno how the Ex-MD couldn't figure this out.

As a FIAT owner, this relieves my concern that they just about manage to stay in business.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:21   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The only concern I have, other than the questionable after-sales-service, is the rubbery and notchy gearbox that's bound to sap some of the fun factor from this little hatch. I'm sincerely hoping Fiat has addressed this niggle.
Every car will have one or the other niggles now, wont it? The gearbox was better in the Avventura compared to my old GP 90. But i dont think it would be perfected for the TJet version.

However - the ratios for the Linea TJet are just perfect, compared to the weird first and second gears in the diesels. Hope that is carried forward to the Punto as well.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 09:36   #114
Senior - BHPian

IMO, Maruti Suzuki could bring the Swift Sport to India. They are launching the ACross with the 1.6 petrol in India, so in all possibilities Maruti will bring this engine to Swift too. Showcased in India at the 12th edition of the Delhi Auto it has evoked a lot response.

Quote:
The 1.6-litre engine has been revived and it gets even enhanced variable variable timing. This will have better power and fuel efficiency too
http://motoroctane.com/news/12871-ma...-petrol-engine

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th May 2015 at 09:39.
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 09:38   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
IMO, Maruti Suzuki could bring the Swift Sport to India. They are launching the ACross with the 1.6 petrol in India, so in all possibilities Maruti will bring this engine to Swift too. Showcased in India at the 12th edition of the Delhi Auto it has evoked a lot response.
If they can get the Swift with the 1.4 K-Series that itself would be good. They dont need to import any thing. But that itself does not seem to happen!
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 09:41   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If they can get the Swift with the 1.4 K-Series that itself would be good. They dont need to import any thing. But that itself does not seem to happen!
The 1.6 (Petrol) now is localized. Just a thought as the 1.6 can be shared with ACross and Swift.

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th May 2015 at 09:43.
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 15:44   #117

Hello Everyone. This is my first message here. Just been accepted.
I am in the market now currently searching for a good "spec-ed" car around 15L and I feel like there should be a premium hatchback segment around this mark. And this is not just me , I have actually found a lot of people (from my generation who know sufficiently about cars) having the same opinion. I don't care about the boot.
I also don't care much about gimmicky features but what I do care about is the engine, handling, and driving dynamics.
For eg. a car i have been drooling over now days is Hyundai Veloster. 138horses for the lowest trim and 201 horses for the Turbo R-Spec version.
If only we could get our hands on this machine !
STORM_REGALION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 16:13   #118
Team-BHP Support

^^

As I see it, you have a few options:

- Wait for the rumored Polo GTI. (Don't count on it)
- Wait for the Punto T-Jet and remap it.
- Wait for a bit and buy a used Mini Cooper S
- Buy the Polo GT TSI and spend the remaining 5 lakhs to make it your very own GTI
suhaas307 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 17:58   #119
BHPian

If only they can bring the 1.6 petrol engine to India. Then enthusiasts can plonk it in to a regular swift with upgrades to the suspension, brakes and tires we can have a really smokin hot hatch.

BTW...I am planning to import a M16A 1.6 L (1,586 cc) DOHC 16-valve VVT engine from Thailand or Japan. Can this engine be mated to the current gearbox of the swift petrol???

Hope somebody can guide regarding the above...Thanks!
Merc_lover666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 06:54   #120
BHPian

Merc lover, you can source your engine from a used sx4 in India itself - no need to go looking in Thailand.
shiraz is offline   Reply With Quote