Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th January 2015, 23:55   #1
BHPian

Default All Toyotas to get Airbags in India!

As per Autocar magazine, Toyota is going to offer Airbags as standard across its model range!! Price could go up by around Rs. 40,000 and base trims may get just the Driver side airbag. In any case, good move by Toyota! Hope others (at least most of them) follow suit.
sivadas is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 00:02   #2
BHPian

Default re: All Toyotas to get Airbags in India!

So basically the Innova has airbags as standard as all other cars in the line up already do. I hope they don't increase the price of the already overpriced innova. Might be of a lot of use to taxi drivers lives and a good move none the less.

Last edited by GTO : 6th January 2015 at 19:55. Reason: Typo
Doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 00:47   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
As per Autocar magazine, Toyota is going to offer Airbags as standard across its model range!! Price could go up by around Rs. 40,000 and base trims may get just the Driver side airbag. In any case, good move by Toyota! Hope others (at least most of them) follow suit.
Seriously?? 40K for just driver airbag? Toyota got one more tactic to fool the Indian customers who think they (Toyota) are doing us a favor!! 20K for 2 airbags are justified, NOT a paisa beyond it!

We need to reject such products and strategies point blank, make them ashamed of the product line up decided for India and force them to bring in decent products rather.

Edit:: And Sorry, I hope other manufacturers do NOT follow suit and pick up such ideas to fleece / fool Indian customers.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th January 2015 at 00:50. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is online now   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 01:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Seriously?? 40K for just driver airbag? Toyota got one more tactic to fool the Indian customers who think they (Toyota) are doing us a favor!! 20K for 2 airbags are justified, NOT a paisa beyond it!

We need to reject such products and strategies point blank, make them ashamed of the product line up decided for India and force them to bring in decent products rather.

Edit:: And Sorry, I hope other manufacturers do NOT follow suit and pick up such ideas to fleece / fool Indian customers.
I think you are over reacting.
1. Introducing airbags in all models is something that should be praised.
2. This is just a news, Toyota hasn't actually raised the prices by 40k, and probably wouldn't.
3. Car companies are for-profit organisations. The price that Toyota sets is probably in line with their profit maximisations, and considering how much the Innova is demanded, they probably realised that increasing the prices wouldn't lead to a fall in the quantity demanded, and hence they keep raising the prices. You can't ask a company to reduce profits just to please the customers, and keep the prices below the equilibrium.
4. I hope other manufacturers follow suit and make Airbags as standard on all variants, that'll further help bring the price of airbags down.
prakhar1998 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 06:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

I hope they see reason and offer (2) front airbags as standard across their range and not overprice them. Let us wait and see but the fact that another company apart from VW is planning such a move is a good thing.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 06:58   #6
BHPian

In the US, the cost to replace airbags which get deployed in an accident is around $1000 per airbag including parts and labour. The airbag itself (for Corolla) along with other parts for it cost around $500-700. So it is not surprising that Toyota is looking at Rs 40,000 for providing airbags for driver-side only.
sanchari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 07:37   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
I think you are over reacting.
1. Introducing airbags in all models is something that should be praised.
I agree with SnF here. Introducing airbags as standard throughout all the models is being praised, no doubt. What is not praised is the price hike of 40K (Expected).

Quote:
2. This is just a news, Toyota hasn't actually raised the prices by 40k, and probably wouldn't.
You never know what Toyota is upto. AFAIK, they will increase the process all across their portfolio with this reason of airbag addition.

Quote:
3. Car companies are for-profit organisations. The price that Toyota sets is probably in line with their profit maximisations, and considering how much the Innova is demanded, they probably realised that increasing the prices wouldn't lead to a fall in the quantity demanded, and hence they keep raising the prices. You can't ask a company to reduce profits just to please the customers, and keep the prices below the equilibrium.
We are not asking manufacturer to go broke and sell cars to please customers. Adding two airbags and increasing the price of already costly cars of Toyota isn't fair. The Innova (same is with Corolla and Fortuner) is already overpriced and overhyped for its segment versus competition for the features quality it offers. The Innova's demand and the word-of-mouth for its reliability and low cost of ownership is what is making the car sell well even with the high price it asks. Cars from the Toyota stable are listing the VFM tag.

A particular car sells that doesn't mean you can price it in the likes of D-segment but actually sell it in B-Segment.

Quote:
4. I hope other manufacturers follow suit and make Airbags as standard on all variants, that'll further help bring the price of airbags down.
Other manufacturers should follow but not increase the price by 40-50K.

Quote:
I agree.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 08:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Smile re: All Toyotas to get Airbags in India!

I would say its a good move by Toyota to introduce the airbags in all its vehicles being sold in India something in compliance to the forthcoming govt deadline of Oct 2015 where all the car manufacturers are required to provide ABS and airbags by default in all variants. Now this is going to come at a cost to the customer, thats not going to be freebie. Toyota is scanning if the price hike can be passed on to the customer, if they succeed then rest of the pack would follow. IMO its a wait and watch for other manufacturers.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 08:57   #9
BHPian

Why not give a tax benefit for cars equipped with Airbags/ABS to reduce the cost to the consumers? Will push them to buying the better models while also not pinching their pockets.
SchumiFan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 10:43   #10
BHPian

In our love for cars, and habit of over-evaluating everything related to automobiles, we tend to get carried away.

We must not forget that these are for-profit organizations selling a product at the end of the day. It is upto their whims and fancies when and how to jack up the prices. We, as consumers have the right to reject or accept the same.

In hindsight, it is indeed a good move to provide airbags as standard.
Motormania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 10:49   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

First of all, a good move by Toyota. Apart from good, also a smart move which will bring them goodwill and hopefully some safety conscious buyers too. Also, in order to be price competitive, I guess Toyota should be/ will be eyeing minimal price increase.

Nevertheless, praises to Toyota for offering airbags across all models, hoping other manufacturers follows the footsteps too.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 11:10   #12
BHPian

If sense prevailed -
Things like A.C.C. / Powered-heated ORVMs / Rain sensing wipers / Auto headlamps and the likes should be relegated to optional equipments and safety equipments should be made standard across keeping the cost at the current levels. People willing to splurge can then get all the optional parts he/she needs for an additional sum. I really get deterred by the plethora of less-useful electronics (more often buggy) that I am forced to pay for if I wanted just the safety equipment. I'm happy with manual window winders too.
mi2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 11:16   #13
BHPian

This was already announced a few months back, after the Global NCAP crash test results were announced. Toyota is offering 2 airbags, not just one, in all variants including the base variants.
JonSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 12:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think this 40k increase would be for addition of Airbags. This could be part of the hike we will witness this month for roll back of excise duty sop. Also, most of the manufacturers were planning a revised price to account for increasing raw material cost.

So 40k for airbag + increase in material cost + increase in excise duty would seem reasonable.
damager21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 12:33   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Seriously?? 40K for just driver airbag? Toyota got one more tactic to fool the Indian customers who think they (Toyota) are doing us a favor!! 20K for 2 airbags are justified, NOT a paisa beyond it!.
Actually 20K for 2 airbags is what you currently pay for safety Kit in Liva which is two airbags.
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote