Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd April 2015, 16:49   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Mercedes & Audi battle for top spot. BMW far behind

In Financial Year 2014-15, Mercedes sold over 11,000 cars. This includes 3,566 units sold in January-March 2015 (Jan-Mar 2014 was 2,554 cars).

That's nearly a 1,000 cars a month!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 18:40   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In Financial Year 2014-15, Mercedes sold over 11,000 cars. This includes 3,566 units sold in January-March 2015 (Jan-Mar 2014 was 2,554 cars).

That's nearly a 1,000 cars a month!
Won't be surprised to see Mercedes ahead of Audi this year as well.
I am guessing this is primarily from sales of the A Class, CLA, and new C-Class which would be the key volume drivers.
Audi on the other hand has the A3, Q3 which are its volume drivers.

BMW is lagging thanks to the dismal interest in the X1, 1 series - bland looks, and just not as exciting for prospective buyers.
Another issue is that the new BMW's, such as the facelifted 5 series - are becoming too soft. Now they neither offer the ride quality of a Merc, nor outstanding handling as can be seen on the E60, E90 etc.

I had also read a comment on BMW's being avoided due to expensive maintenance and RFT. Honestly, after experiencing Mercedes, BMW, and Audi - BMW is far more reliable, and not that outrageously expensive to maintain either - I am saying this after 7 years with a 525D and no BSI.
It needs some work now no doubt, but at least my AC has never gone kaput (Audi), nor has the car required mechanical work (E).
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 21:31   #48
BHPian

Mercedes is doing extremely well for itself now. The cars look amazing and are a hit amongst customers. This is the reason they sell so much with paltry or no discounts too.

Will be interesting to see Mercedes and Audi fight it out this year for the No. 1 spot. I think Mercedes will take the spot considering the numerous launches Mercedes has in pipeline for this year which should boost its sales.
amansanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 21:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

In Financial Year 2014-15 - Audi retains its lead in the luxury segment

Audi, the market leader, posted a record sales in 2014-15 with 11,292 units, up 11.51 per cent, from 10,126 units sold in 2013-14.

Likewise,
Mercedes-Benz also clocked record sales in FY15 at 11,213 units, up 17.5 per cent, from 9,548 units sold in the previous year.

Interesting to see how the two close in FY15-16.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...campaign=cppst

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd April 2015 at 22:14.
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2015, 09:00   #50
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 6th April 2015 at 12:45.
Slush_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 3rd April 2015, 09:13   #51
BHPian

IIRC, my Mercedes dealer has sold 38 gla this month only. And this is just one model and one dealer in south delhi.

I do believe that Mercedes is selling more than ever now.
car_crazy1400 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 11:26   #52
BHPian

Default Audi or Benz - who has the luxury car crown?

Reports from 2 leading newspapers on the same day.

03 April 2015

Economic Times - Audi Keeps the Luxury Car Crown in India, But Merc is Fast Catching Up

http://www.pressreader.com/india/eco...38533/TextView

Business Standard - Mercedes regains India Crown

http://www.business-standard.com/art...0200865_1.html

Who is right?
ET is using Annual figures (2014 April to March) and rightfully says Audi is the leader. BS uses Quarterly figures (2015 Jan-Mar) and is right in saying Merc is leading.

Both are right. Just a case of how statistics can be massaged to highlight the perspective you want.

Last edited by GTO : 6th April 2015 at 12:46. Reason: No uploading scans of copyrighted content please
JohnyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 11:33   #53
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Audi or Benz - who has the luxury car crown?

Economic Times reported it correctly. What Business Standard should have reported is Mercedes leads in last quarter but is behind in annual sales. Instead, I guess, their bias towards Mercedes made them report it in a way that the reader's felt that Mercedes sold more last year.

Similar reporting was done by HT which said Audi managed to beat Merc while Indian express headlines said exactly what Business standard did.
amit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 11:37   #54
BHPian

I think it's a rat race among these three Germans and it doesn't matter much to the customers. At the end of the day they are all luxury brands and the difference in their numbers is more of prestige battle than business success. But to be fair, Merc is spicing up the market with their recent launches, especially the GLA and the CLA. Compared to that the A3 has not managed to create a similar wave in the market. So yes in recent times Merc is probably clearing their stock faster than Audi but they (Audi) should not be worried much about it. One company who should re-think about their position is BMW. I don't have the statistical data but from the looks of it, their X1 sales have dried up and the 1 series is a market dud. So they will have to take the initiative to catch up with the others.

Last edited by Carpainter : 4th April 2015 at 11:39.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 13:23   #55
BHPian

Mercedes has a great product lineup now but i still haven't seen that many new C's, GLA's, or CLA's on the road !! I see a whole lot of new A6s everyday in delhi. I think a lot of the volumes for Merc may be coming from other cities in India. Mercedes no matter what one says has a better brand recall/image amongst the 55+ age group.

I see lots of new S Classes in Delhi for sure.
nik_kapur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 19:10   #56
BHPian

Audi has some catching up to do with mercedes in a few segments. The A3 garnered a lot of interest initially but i guess the sales numbers say a different story. In my opinion the overall sales numbers of Audi have been less than Merc because it isn't selling as many A4's as it used to. The story might change with the launch of the next gen A4.

BMW has stopped production of the X1 eons ago and are just clearing stocks. The 1 series is never going to be a high selling product because a lot Indian buyers prefer practicality and bling to driving dynamics and the A class scores in those two departments.
zombiedriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 19:41   #57
BHPian

Audi takes the kitchen sink approach, as compared to MB's relatively smaller range of models.

Moreover I've found that most Audi owners I know have always gotten substantial discounts from the company. If they keep that up, then they're sure to retain their numbers.

Right now they are clearing out the old A4s faster than they can count. Then when the new A4 launches, they'll start discounting the A3, which isn't selling a lot right now.
They did it in the past with the A6, now they're doing it with the A4, and I'm guessing the A3 will be next.
sleepyk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2015, 00:58   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyk View Post
Audi takes the kitchen sink approach, as compared to MB's relatively smaller range of models.

Moreover I've found that most Audi owners I know have always gotten substantial discounts from the company. If they keep that up, then they're sure to retain their numbers.

Right now they are clearing out the old A4s faster than they can count. Then when the new A4 launches, they'll start discounting the A3, which isn't selling a lot right now.
They did it in the past with the A6, now they're doing it with the A4, and I'm guessing the A3 will be next.
Mercedes does the same, as does BMW.
Once the model goes out of style, heavy discounts can be expected with all of these premium brands. Have been offered almost Rs. 10L off an E250 (FL with single sunroof) that was lying with a dealer.
As for range of models, I think Mercedes has a couple more offerings than Audi.

Regarding the sales - Audi has received good response for the A3 and Q3 in 2014 which could be why they have retained top spot. However, Mercedes has been aggressive towards end-2014, Q1'15 with several new model launches (GLA, CLA, C, etc.) in the entry level premium segment which sees maximum demand. Typically, the newest model amongst the 3 germans tends to be most popular. Once BMW comes out with its new models, expect it to give a tough fight to Audi and Mercedes.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2015, 09:39   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW is suddenly looking pale in comparison to the other two. One reason can be the lack of new launches specially at the lower end of the spectrum. The other is the RFTs. A lot of Indian buyers rely on word of mouth reviews while buying their new car. Every second or third owner would have had one untoward incident with their BMW's RFTs. To address that "lack of a spare wheel" sentiment, I feel BMW was forced to make the space saver a free accessory with every car. But then the space saver seriously limits your usable boot space and hence again may put off a lot of buyers.

Among the 2 leading car makers, I feel Mercedes is going to take the lead from Audi this financial year owing to their newer model line up. Audi have over the last 3-4 years stayed stuck to the same design philosophy and betting on discounts to count for their sales.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2015, 12:57   #60
BHPian

I agree with mohit on the design changes. Mercedes has significantly changed the way their cars look at least in the recent years. In comparison, it's very difficult to identify let's say a 2012 Audi from a 2014 Audi, from a non-enthusiast perspective. The same goes for BMW as well.

But, still I'd love to have a BMW over an Audi or Merc anyday just for the driving pleasure.

What really ticks me off is the price gouging that these luxury brands have started which is pulling away from the aspirational value for the younger wanna-be owners. Somewhere, it's gonna give and one of them is going to bring down the roof on the others. That will be definitely fun to watch.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote