Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th October 2016, 09:28   #121
Distinguished - BHPian
Default Re: Mercedes & Audi battle for top spot. BMW far behind

I probably am not a purist. Nor am I in the scale of life where I can afford to own and run any of these three marques. But I have always loved the Three Pointed Star of the Mercedes.

Saying that, I also do have a marked preference for the older, more mechanical Mercedes, BMW and Audi cars of the '80's and '90's. I find these new ones a bit too decidedly high tech for my taste.

So much so, that one may actually need a minor engineering degree to learn how to operate one of these newer cars.

Some of the best ever that I really love - The Merc 190E Cosworth, The Bee-Em M3, The Audi Quattro 20V - all of the 1980's and 1990's...delicious.

Clearly even of these three, the Merc 190E stood out.

And even today, the beautiful wedge back lines and three pointed star of the Classic 1990's Mercs, still makes me turn my head in case I see one.

The newer Mercs too, are absolutely delicious. I think this is something to do with their overall design language and the way it somehow tugs at the heart more than the head.

Like the GLA of today makes me want it but the X1 and X3 of today, well, frankly, I can take 'em or leave 'em...

I guess for me, it is always going to be the Three Pointed Star - irrespective. There's a madness that I have in me, associated with this Marque.

Saying all this, like most things, this "brand preference" thing is also cyclical. Quite clearly. It's all about the "flavour of the season" and the "desirability" cues that the brand is able to stimulate in the minds of the consumers.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 5th October 2016 at 09:44.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 11:23   #122
Senior - BHPian
Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Use of the term 'maintenance issue' actually gives out a negative perception of the quality of the vehicle. Not sure what all issues led to the situation. Definitely not something that BMW should be happy about.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 11:54   #123

Ironically, I am in the minority who doesn't like Mercedes' new design language. I am a huge MB fan, but my loyalties are now slowly shifting to BMW. (Can't put a finger on why - as I always rooted for MB and hated when BMW entered India and displaced MB)
I just love how the new BMW 7 series looks and am not sure why it doesn't get as many accolades for its design as say the new S Class - which in my opinion is striking at once, but also quickly fades in the imagination.
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote