Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th October 2016, 09:28   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Mercedes & Audi battle for top spot. BMW far behind

I probably am not a purist. Nor am I in the scale of life where I can afford to own and run any of these three marques. But I have always loved the Three Pointed Star of the Mercedes.

Saying that, I also do have a marked preference for the older, more mechanical Mercedes, BMW and Audi cars of the '80's and '90's. I find these new ones a bit too decidedly high tech for my taste.

So much so, that one may actually need a minor engineering degree to learn how to operate one of these newer cars.

Some of the best ever that I really love - The Merc 190E Cosworth, The Bee-Em M3, The Audi Quattro 20V - all of the 1980's and 1990's...delicious.

Clearly even of these three, the Merc 190E stood out.

And even today, the beautiful wedge back lines and three pointed star of the Classic 1990's Mercs, still makes me turn my head in case I see one.

The newer Mercs too, are absolutely delicious. I think this is something to do with their overall design language and the way it somehow tugs at the heart more than the head.

Like the GLA of today makes me want it but the X1 and X3 of today, well, frankly, I can take 'em or leave 'em...

I guess for me, it is always going to be the Three Pointed Star - irrespective. There's a madness that I have in me, associated with this Marque.

Saying all this, like most things, this "brand preference" thing is also cyclical. Quite clearly. It's all about the "flavour of the season" and the "desirability" cues that the brand is able to stimulate in the minds of the consumers.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 5th October 2016 at 09:44.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 11:23   #122
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/54805964.cms

Use of the term 'maintenance issue' actually gives out a negative perception of the quality of the vehicle. Not sure what all issues led to the situation. Definitely not something that BMW should be happy about.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 11:54   #123
BHPian

Ironically, I am in the minority who doesn't like Mercedes' new design language. I am a huge MB fan, but my loyalties are now slowly shifting to BMW. (Can't put a finger on why - as I always rooted for MB and hated when BMW entered India and displaced MB)
I just love how the new BMW 7 series looks and am not sure why it doesn't get as many accolades for its design as say the new S Class - which in my opinion is striking at once, but also quickly fades in the imagination.
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 08:43   #124
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes Benz is the clear winner in 2016. Lead continues in October sales too.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1243
Size:  17.3 KB

Source- Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 09:58   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Off-Topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/54805964.cms

Use of the term 'maintenance issue' actually gives out a negative perception of the quality of the vehicle. Not sure what all issues led to the situation. Definitely not something that BMW should be happy about.
I think she later cleared that there is no such "issues" with the car. The return was to do majorly with the bad roads in her native it seems. A low GC car couldn't be driven over those. Secondly, there is no BMW service centres at her native and her coach also hinted on the huge service costs associated with the brand.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2016, 08:46   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Off-Topic:

I think she later cleared that there is no such "issues" with the car. The return was to do majorly with the bad roads in her native it seems. A low GC car couldn't be driven over those. Secondly, there is no BMW service centres at her native and her coach also hinted on the huge service costs associated with the brand.
...and the elements like gift tax, registration, insurance charges. On top, you have to drive around whole of Bangladesh to get you car serviced in Kolkata!
BeamerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2016, 10:22   #127
BHPian

The New design language for Mercedes is working for sure. It does looks novel and flashy, something that strikes you instantly. On the other hand some cars seem ridiculous, the GLA seems out of place in its segment and is awkwardly small. While the X1 is just right in size and road presence. Somehow I get a feeling that Merc is going all out and wants to be the new "Audi" in terms of design and outright novelty. But the classic design language of the Beemers is something that you cannot explain. Every car that BMW builds seem timeless ( may be except the GT ). And they maybe better off not chasing the numbers like Audi or Mercedes. Just look at the sales. Mercedes has 1000 cars with such a wide range of cars and similarly with Audi too. On the other hand BMW is hovering around 700 cars with nearly half the number of models.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 07:43   #128
BHPian

[quote=motorworks;4091301]The New design language for Mercedes is working for sure. It does looks novel and flashy, something that strikes you instantly. On the other hand some cars seem ridiculous, the GLA seems out of place in its segment and is awkwardly small. While the X1 is just right in size and road presence. /QUOTE]

The x1 is the right size, but the base model is absolutely bare and frugal. Not becoming of a 35L car. The model with the sunroof and better sound is 5L more!! Even the base GLA doesn't feel like a budget car.

GLA and x1 both target entry level luxury. Hurts. Someone who is a first time buyer would want at least more features and a nicer looking cabin than his/her old car!
torquing_points is offline   Reply With Quote