Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
Old 14th July 2015, 22:26   #16
Default Re: Rumour: VW planning to bring the legendary GTI badge to India

If at all they are going to bring it here, I feel they'll Indianize it like what Fiat is doing to Abarth Punto Evo. They'll probably take the current Made in India Polo, make some interior and exterior changes, make suspension and steering changes (may be import some crucial components like them) and plonk the 1.8 TSi that has been homologized in India already.

I don't see why they'd bring the Polo as a CBU when they have localized it already. That way, they can keep the costs way down which can lead to better sales as well.

Last edited by theredliner : 14th July 2015 at 22:28.
Old 15th July 2015, 08:48   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
If VW do bring in the GTI and somehow can price it at around 20lks, imagine how this will suck up all the probable V40, 1series, A-Class or A3 Customers !!
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
A fresh infusion of energy into the brand may help it trundle along a couple of more years. And as far as an enthusiast with deep pockets is concerned, this should be an attractive proposition. Though I hope VW goes the Fiat way and uses Indian facilities for assembly to keep costs low, it won't cut ice even at 3-4 lacks below the A-Class territory.
I think the Polo GTI can do reasonably well if priced around 15-20 lakhs. Expensive hatchbacks are no more a taboo topic in our market, and the Polo in its GTI trim is quite an enticing prospect. It's a niche segment, and hence may not be expected to sell in 1000s, but as a customer I feel it will be a great option to have. And I don't think it will eat into the A-Class/ A3 pie; its much smaller and VW have the Golf sitting in that category. Infact I would love see the regular Golf coming into our market in the near future.
Old 15th July 2015, 15:30   #18

The GTI in Germany sells for 23.5k euros. Also, the 1.8 GTI is manufactured only in Germany and exported everywhere else.

Also, just for info, it comes with the same DQ200 DSG in the automatic version, thus necessitating VW to detune the engine to max 250 Nm torque. The manual gets 320 Nm. Both have the same power though, and same 0-100 times.

Simple conversion and adding 30% taxes, in case VW bring it as CKD puts the price at 22 lacs. Just converting the price from a neighbouring country (Malaysia) puts it at 26 lacs (Dont know the duty structure there).

So, the point is that GTI isn't going to be cheap, unless VW India are looking at a 'jugaad'.

And if you reach that price point (23-25 lacs), whats wrong in getting a V40 T4 or an ocatvia 1.8 TSI?

Note from Mod: The VW Polo GTI discussion is moving forward in this new thread (Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine). Please continue the discussion there.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th July 2015 at 19:23. Reason: Adding a closing note :)
Closed Thread