Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th January 2015, 10:17   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Mahindra: 50 lakh vehicles up

Mahindra & Mahindra has achieved the production milestone of 50 lakh vehicles. The company celebrated the milestone by organising a human chain of 3,000 workers along Marine Drive in South Mumbai. The chain stretched from the Air India Building to Girgaon Chowpatty.

Mahindra has been leading the utility vehicle segment in India with products like the Bolero and Scorpio. Over the years, the company has acquired South Korean SUV manufacturer SsangYong Motor Company and Bangalore-based electric car manufacturer Reva. The company has also been a strong player in the commercial vehicles market.

Apart from India, Mahindra vehicles are sold in global markets such as Australia, Europe, Latin America, Malaysia, South Korea and South Africa.

Mahindra: 50 lakh vehicles up-mahindra.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 6th January 2015 at 16:24.
Aditya is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 23:19   #2
BHPian

Congratulations to Mahindra. They have come a long way from the original Jeeps to making some very desirable vehicles today - Balero, Scorpio , XUV, tractors etc without losing the plot like Tata. I only wish Tata could learn a trick or two from them
prashanthyr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 23:30   #3
BANNED

Default Re: Mahindra: 50 lakh vehicles up

Making In India, by Mahindra.

I wish for Tata products with Mahindra A.S.S.
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 00:34   #4
BANNED

Keep it up Mahindra. The car on display is a modified Thar which again speaks of Mahindra's tough attitude towards the UV segment

Last edited by GTO : 7th January 2015 at 18:07. Reason: Typo
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 7th January 2015, 03:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

As a member of this forum i am proud as Mahindra used Team BHPs baby(Thar) to commemorate this occasion. Our opinions and push did get this wheel moving.

May you have many many more and hope your vehicles makes it to some of the worlds largest markets.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 08:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
Congratulations to Mahindra. They have come a long way from the original Jeeps to making some very desirable vehicles today - Balero, Scorpio , XUV, tractors etc without losing the plot like Tata. I only wish Tata could learn a trick or two from them
completely. Mahindra and Tough UVs are synonymous. I loved the classic jeep of theirs but due to practicality couldn't own one as i live in the city. Mahindra is quite good in commercial segment as well as passenger cars whilst Tata is best at commercial vehicles alone. guess they might learn some tricks from other Indian OEMs soon
Rev_That_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 14:56   #7
BHPian

Great achievement by Mahindra. It is good to see an Indian company able to compete with international brands and maintain their position in the top 5 in automobile industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_That_V8 View Post
Tata is best at commercial vehicles alone. guess they might learn some tricks from other Indian OEMs soon
I think Tata also have many models in passenger segment. Indica/Vista/Manza etc. to name a few. Safari/Aria are good SUV product.They are not lagging behind Mahindra in passenger segment.
AshBabu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 18:21   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
As a member of this forum i am proud as Mahindra used Team BHPs baby(Thar) to commemorate this occasion. Our opinions and push did get this wheel moving.
The 5 millionth vehicle that rolled off the production line was also a Thar...a Red Thar:

Mahindra: 50 lakh vehicles up-dsc_0111.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshBabu View Post
Safari/Aria are good SUV product.They are not lagging behind Mahindra in passenger segment.
I think what Prashanth meant was sales performance too. Mahindra sells 5 times the number of UVs that Tata does.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 20:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think what Prashanth meant was sales performance too. Mahindra sells 5 times the number of UVs that Tata does.
True, Tata should learn marketing tricks from Mahindra.

Talking about Mahindra and Tata, I remember some 15+ years back in our office we had Tata Sumo and Mahindra Armada. These vehicles were used for drops from office to factory which was about 40 km distance. People use to insist on Sumo as it was comfortable to travel. The Armada seats were hard and suspension were not worth mentioning. Also it was cramped even for 4 persons. On the other hand Sumo was comfortable and luxurious.

Over the years Mahindra had really improved their design and today Bolero, Scorpio and XUV 500 stands testimony for comfort and luxury.
AshBabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 21:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 5 millionth vehicle that rolled off the production line was also a Thar...a Red Thar:

Attachment 1325094
Thank you GTO for the pic. They finally agree (hesitantly), that Thar is among their best looking products in the market. Feeling proud to have been a part of the team.

Prost
Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 01:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks. Yes, I do think the Aria and Safari are pretty competitive as standalone products against competition from XUV or Scorpio. However, from a desirability standpoint (to the majority of consumers), they are nowhere near the Mahindras and this is reflected in the sales of Aria / Safari against XUV / Scorpio.
prashanthyr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 08:57   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshBabu View Post
I think Tata also have many models in passenger segment. Indica/Vista/Manza etc. to name a few. Safari/Aria are good SUV product.They are not lagging behind Mahindra in passenger segment.
Yes they do have diverse products . But the volume that Mahindra brings home in terms of SUVs are way way more than Tata . Needless to say Mahindra boasts a great share of UV sales in our market.
And yes they do lag behind Mahindra by a good margin.

As far as Tata is concerned, cars like Zest didn't sell that well in 2014 as anticipated. Let us see what 2015 has for Tata, the Indica and indigo are becoming stale. Bolt, kite and zest have the job to do now .
Rev_That_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 16:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Maddy
There was a tweet on the same day requesting Mr. Anand Mahindra to share the story behind the name Thar. It looks like the answer was provided by other tweeple, but i somehow couldn't get to read any of those.

I am now wondering whether Team BHP has something to do with the name "Thar" as well.
Napo is offline   Reply With Quote