Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd February 2015, 16:38   #106
BHPian

Default Re: The Curious Case of the Ford Fiesta

I recently got a call from Ford to check about purchase and subsequent ownership experience. Gesture appreciated. In somewhat freewheeling talk, came out that the product line of 2014 end is intact and nothing has been discontinued (supported by website of Ford India) though 2015 deliveries are now in the process of getting started.

Regarding new model/version launch, no official information is out. Same time, some Ford insiders believe that anything new is unlikely before June this year. This possibly is due to delay in commissioning of Sanand plant. As it appears, customer looking forward to Ka (or even petrol Fiesta) will have to wait a bit longer.
rsm97 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015, 14:31   #107

I cancelled my Fiesta booking today. After one month of wait time and close to zero news from manufacturer I pulled the plug on this waiting business. I wanted the car just because I had great experience with Ford earlier and swear by it's driving pleasure. But that wasn't enough for me to keep waiting for 30+ days and living without a vehicle was proving to be too much when commuting by autorick and breathing those foul gases in. Going to get a Ciaz this weekend (hopefully).
HVSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015, 14:49   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVSC View Post
I cancelled my Fiesta booking today. After one month of wait time and close to zero news from manufacturer I pulled the plug on this waiting business. I wanted the car just because I had great experience with Ford earlier and swear by it's driving pleasure. But that wasn't enough for me to keep waiting for 30+ days and living without a vehicle was proving to be too much when commuting by autorick and breathing those foul gases in. Going to get a Ciaz this weekend (hopefully).
This high handedness is killing Ford.
They have a woefully thin line up filled with aging models(Endy/Classic/Figo) and they dont care for customers.

I fail to understand where does this waiting for a woefully low selling car come in?
Are they even exporting the paltry 500 nos they manufacture?

Very wrong scheme of things in Ford.
Good decision as you have a better peace of mind with the Ciaz.

Coz, for such a low selling model, Ford may pull the plugs say a year down the line.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015, 16:13   #109
Senior - BHPian

1. After the Figo Success (due to its VFM proposition) almost every Single Indian Car Enthusiast was Expecting Ford to do another Figo with the All New Fiesta. Expectations went sky high after we got a view of how the rear portion of the interiors were treated. But the news on pricing was just so very disappointing that a huge number of prospective buyers (who had waited so long just for this launch) jumped on to Vento's and Verna's.

2. Almost everyone was expecting the 1.6 engines to showcase on the Ford. But we were all disappointed with the 1.5 variants that debuted with the All New Fiesta. Even the lovely 1.6 Duratec got ditched! Probably the 1.5 development was what kept the launch waiting for so long. But it surely was not what the market was waiting for. This again was a very big disappointment for many. Not that the new 1.5 TDCi is bad, but broken expectations hit harder.

A combined effect of these two factors is what made Ford do a "Jazz" in India!
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 00:13   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
1. After the Figo Success (due to its VFM proposition) almost every Single Indian Car Enthusiast -------------------

2. Almost everyone was expecting the 1.6 engines to showcase on the Ford. But we were all disappointed with the 1.5 variants -----------------

A combined effect of these two factors is what made Ford do a "Jazz" in India!
Pricing now has been set right by Ford. And if engine indeed had been so big a deal, Ciaz diesel would not have been doing excellent numbers with the same specs.

Ford obviously is not keen to push this product moving. Understand that they export most of the stuff they manufacture. The commitment & attention towards Indian market in nil. Puzzle is, why then they relaunched it last year?
rsm97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 20:35   #111
Senior - BHPian

Price Correction has Never Ever worked in India. It did not happen with the Fusion, Not with the Jazz and not with the All New Fiesta.

And Maruti cars cannot be compared to Fords in any way. The customer profile / psychology of buyers are entirely different with these two brands.

Do agree to your point that Ford was not that keen to sell the All New Fiesta!
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 21:42   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfconsole View Post
Unlike its illustrious competitors in the C2 segment such as the City, Verna, Vento, Rapid etc, the Fiesta triggers a pitched battle between the head and the heart. ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The original comment on the new Fiesta was that it was priced bad. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
3. Cabin width and interiors still remain sore point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudharysaab View Post
.... Fiest is car with maximum width in segment still very narrow rear seat ( i am ignoring leg space here) ....
Fully agree that the new Fiesta has inherited the typical Ford excellent DNA of good handling, ride and being a driver-centric car.

1. The Fiesta looks alright from the front. It doesn't give it a wide-stance appearance, something that a C2 segment customers in India expects in the looks department for that big car feel. (For Eg: Even Hyundai has sensed that customers expect a wider stance and the design of 4S Fluidic design verna incorporates a winged grill design that gives the new verna a much wider appearance from the front compared to the front of the outgoing fluidic Verna)

2. If you observe the design of the new Fiesta, the sides of the car starts to taper right from the B-Pillar as you move towards the rear and the boot is very tapered and narrow. The tail lights look too close to each other and are placed quite high. It gives a very skewed/narrow appearance of the car from the back. It certainly will not appeal to a C2 segment buyer. The earlier Fiesta model didn't have this tapering back (neither did the Ikon)
Ford should correct this tapered boot and make the stance of the car better from the rear. A good reference point for Ford would be to gain inspiration from the beautiful stance of the Vento/Rapid from the rear.

3. If Ford corrects the tapering back design, the rear seat will automatically become roomier. It is already a brilliant driver's car, Ford should focus on making the rear seat experience at par with the C2 segment competition in a predominantly chauffeur driven market in India.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 12th March 2015 at 21:48.
for_cars1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 22:51   #113
BHPian

IMO, if you think of the Indian market, no one cares about a handling and build quality except people with lot of interest in cars. Here the question people ask when you buy a car is "Kitana deti hai?". I always think that Fiesta with the Ecoboost engine could have been a great combination. Also, price correction would never work as the prospective buyers in India are in completely different league.

Nevertheless I myself own a Fiesta Classic 1.6 and I am a completely satisfied Ford customer (touch wood).
fiesta1.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 17:18   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Fully agree that the new Fiesta has inherited the typical Ford excellent DNA of good handling, ride and being a driver-centric car.

1. The Fiesta ------------

--------------It is already a brilliant driver's car, Ford should focus on making the rear seat experience at par with the C2 segment competition in a predominantly chauffeur driven market in India.
Points are well made my friend. The rear doesn't look C2 segment though, in my view, front is extraordinary to look.

Same time, not quite sure if low demand can be attributed to look factor. I have experienced more onlookers appreciating the appearance than otherwise.
rsm97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 12:45   #115
BHPian

All said and done, the new Ford Fiesta could have done volumes in leaps and bounds only if Ford wanted it to.

Ford expects it's Channel Partners to sell 12-15 Cars each in a Calender Year. That's the reason why Ford has NO focus, promotion & schemes on the New Ford Fiesta. This is a kind of trial that Ford is having with the New Fiesta. Their strategy is understood to them.

However, one can get sold to the car once you sit on the driving seat. That is from a Car Enthusiasts point of view. But, the indian car market thinks differently. The new Fiesta is cramped for legroom at the back if there is a 5'10 height person sitting in the front. Now that is also a constraint for most of the Car Buyers in India.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   Reply With Quote