Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th January 2015, 21:29   #16
BHPian

Default re: Toyota Hiace to make official entry in 2015

I like this car, it looks more of a sophisticated people carrier.
Not like the Force Traveller, which I feel looks like a tempo with seats and roof.

But from the images, it looks as if the Hiace is very low to the ground.
In comparision, the Force Traveller has a very high ground clearence.

Having said that, I do not mean that the Hiace will scrape on the speed humps.
But what difference will it make in terms of comfort and handling.
iamahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 21:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
BTW I was driven around in a Hiace in SriLanka and my dad was so impressed with it that he was asking me 'Don't we have such vehicles in India'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
Similar to comments above, my wife also asked "why don't we get this in India?". At least we know where to shop for accessories, in case we end up owning one here!
I'm surprised, becuase the Toyota Hiace I was driven around in Sri Lanka for a week was quite bouncy on the middle seat, though it was very spacious. The vehicle was well-maintained, so I don't think it was a one-off case of bad suspension.

The Innova has a much better ride.

Here's a picture of our ride:

Toyota Hiace to make official entry in 2015-img_6238.jpg

Toyota Hiace to make official entry in 2015-img_6369.jpg

Last edited by vnabhi : 15th January 2015 at 21:43.
vnabhi is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 04:53   #18
BHPian

There already is an imported Hiace running with Taxi plates in Hyderabad. Have spotted it twice in the last three years. Oh yes, it looks huge.
JoseVijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 14:16   #19
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Hiace to make official entry in 2015

There are quite a few of these being run as taxis in Bangalore as well. Our office rented two of them last year when we had some team members visiting. We wanted something bigger than an Innova - to seat about 8-9 people comfortably and this fit the bill perfectly.
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 14:53   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you were a Don in the 80s / 90s, or a big businessman / politician, you just had to have a Hiace in your garage. These were quite a status symbol back then. Someone in my lane had one for a couple of years. Had an early morning duty of dropping all us school kids to Don Bosco.

There are a ton of Hiaces in India - Related Thread (The Godfather of all People Carriers - Toyota Hiace (tourister??)).

All those expecting a Hiace CBU at 30 lakhs, well, dream on. I believe it's priced about on par with the Fortuner in other markets. If a locally built Fortuner sells in India at 30 lakhs on the road, a Hiace CBU will be nearing 50 lakhs.

Don't forget Toyota's ridiculous CBU pricing strategy. The Prado is now a 1 crore SUV while the Landcruiser costs almost 1.5 crores!!

If the Hiace is to have any kind of acceptability in India, it's going to have to be priced well and / or assembled locally. Until that happens, buy two Innovas to move people.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 15:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Hiace is meant for the Tourist market. So most of them will be on lower import duty under taxi rules for foreign exchange earners. It is the base peoples carrier.
All Toyotas are very reliable, and we have used the Hiace earlier from '86 to '95, driven her for over 1L kms on road trips all over India.
The Alphard is what they should bring in for the Private owners with big families. This is the Top of the line peoples carrier from Toyota stables. Going by Toyota pricing policy the Alphard would cost upwards of 80 lacs.
scooby05 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 15:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
All those expecting a Hiace CBU at 30 lakhs, well, dream on. I believe it's priced about on par with the Fortuner in other markets. If a locally built Fortuner sells in India at 30 lakhs on the road, a Hiace CBU will be nearing 50 lakhs.

Don't forget Toyota's ridiculous CBU pricing strategy. The Prado is now a 1 crore SUV while the Landcruiser costs almost 1.5 crores!!
But then, Hiace will be imported from Thailand (as far as I know). I had read somewhere that Isuzu had managed to price their entry level pick up trucks (CBUs from Thailand) around 8-9L Rs, only because Indo-Thai FTA allows commercial vehicles to be imported at lesser tax.

Since Hiace has more than 7 seats, it will be treated as a commercial vehicle. No? Then, IF Toyota wishes, they can sell it at a decent price instead of pricing them 2 to 3 times its worth.

Correct me if I am wrong. You know better

Last edited by rohanjf : 16th January 2015 at 15:25.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 23:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Dilli is home to dozens of HiAces in taxi avatar. These are very popular on the Dilli-Agra-Jaipur golden triangle circuit. I myself hired one for 4 days last summer for a Dilli Jaipur run and it kept the six of us very comfortable even though the ambient temperatures hovered above 40C. It can get a bit bouncy when running on light loads but with a full load of people and luggage it is not a bad ride. Far better than the Innova in terms of seating and space but not suitable as a personal vehicle as some members are envisaging. It is just too big to park in the regular parking lots, what to talk of shopping arcades and office lots. It is a welcome move however as it will translate in to better availability with more taxi operators going for the same thereby resulting in reduced hiring charges which are currently 3 times that of Innova's charges.
khoj is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2015, 14:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post

20L or 30L I don't really see this replacing the Winger anywhere as the Winger is priced around 10L. However as mentioned by many this should take the large family market by storm.
Winger comes with a BSIII engine only, and hence is not sold in most major cities. I have hardly seen any in Delhi. Also it comes with the old 2L turbocharged engine with 90 BHP & just 190 Nm torque, which seems underpowered for a people (9-13) carrier, even if not taking into account their luggage.

There were reports of Tata testing an old Renault Master kit - if they can come up with the same with say the 2.2 L Dicor engine, it could atleast be sold in BSIV cities, though still might be underpowered, keeping in mind the passenger load & AC compressor capacity for such a large vehicle, which will sap a significant amount of power - though 150 BHP and 320 Nm should just about suffice.

Last edited by jessie007 : 17th January 2015 at 14:39.
jessie007 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2015, 23:46   #25
BHPian

I saw this for the first time last week in our office campus. Was wondering which vehicle it was and it was a HIACE. This was already registered with a Yellow board - KA51 something. Does this mean, this is already sold ? unfortunately the vehicle was locked (Driver was not there nearby) so could only go around it couple of times. But looked quite luxurious
haria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 00:11   #26
BANNED

Lots of imported HiAce vans in India already. I guess that's what has made Toyota think of bringing it here.

In the movie Singham 2 , they used 5-6 of them for a fight scene as well, I guess on the Mumbai Sea-link.
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 15:29   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
The Hiace is meant for the Tourist market. So most of them will be on lower import duty under taxi rules for foreign exchange earners. It is the base peoples carrier.
Great point, thanks! They're probably targeting the hotel & hospitality industry with this one. CBU import = negligible import duty due to the EPCG scheme (related thread (Camry at the price of Corolla)).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
But then, Hiace will be imported from Thailand (as far as I know). I had read somewhere that Isuzu had managed to price their entry level pick up trucks (CBUs from Thailand) around 8-9L Rs, only because Indo-Thai FTA allows commercial vehicles to be imported at lesser tax.
Thanks for pointing out the Indo-Thai FTA. I think the reduced duties are for CKD commercial vehicles; Toyota will still have to assemble it here. The Isuzu D-Max is also assembled in India itself, off kits imported from Thailand.

Plus, would they do a D-Max and shun the private segment with the HiAce?
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 18:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Toyota to launch the Hiace in India this year!! Now that's a people carrier you want to be driven in!!
Good move Toyota!

Whether the Hiace picks up in the Indian market or not, it's the kind of a vehicle that correctly fits the description of a true "van" internationally.

Glad to see that at least in this case, Toyota is giving us its internationally bench-marked product rather than developing an Indian-spec mini tin-can with wheels (are you hearing Eeco and Omni?). Our slimy Omnis and Eecos. The Traveller is more of a maxi-van, like the Peugeot Boxer.

Hiaces (and their competing Nissan Caravans/Homys) are very common in the African markets.

Here's our Hiace 4WD that took us for a safari into the Masai Mara.
(Detailed review of the vehicle here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...an-safari.html (Masai Mara - A Quintessential African Safari))
Toyota Hiace to make official entry in 2015-dsc01685.jpg

In Kenya, thousands of heavily decorated Hiaces and Caravans ply the road (recklessly). These are the primary/cheapest form of transport for the less well-off locals, carrying 14 passengers each, and are colloquially known as matatu
Pic Courtesy: kenyacarbazaar.com
Toyota Hiace to make official entry in 2015-matatucashless.jpg
Kwanza is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 09:51   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto
image search Source
Thanks, they are all over Africa, beat up, but keeps going on and on and on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwanza
In Kenya, thousands of heavily decorated Hiaces and Caravans ply the road (recklessly).
Not as reckless as Indian drivers though. hehe

Last edited by aerohit : 20th January 2015 at 09:53.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 10:53   #30
BHPian

I would like to see open-able rear seat windows. In cold weather especially up north many drivers will switch of the AC and will make the interiors stuffy. I traveled in Himachal in a Volvo with the AC switched off. The stench of the interiors was almost unbearable. I found the air quality inside a normal Road Transport bus much better.
JediKnight is offline   Reply With Quote