Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2015, 11:13   #1
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,313
Thanked: 23,881 Times
Default Meru Eve: Pink taxis for women launched in Delhi

Taxi operator Meru has introduced Eve, a new service for women in Delhi. Eve taxis are hatchbacks painted pink and white and driven by women wearing pink vests.

Meru claims that after the unfortunate incident last month, in which, a lady passenger was allegedly raped by the driver of a Uber cab, it has been receiving calls from passengers asking for female drivers. Eve taxis have been introduced keeping in mind the safety of women and come equipped with pepper sprays and panic buttons. Additionally, their drivers have been given defence training by the Delhi police, to protect themselves and their passengers. The service has around twenty vehicles plying at the moment.

Ladies can book a Meru Eve cab through the Meru smartphone app, which can be downloaded here, or by dialing 4422 4422.

Meru may introduce Eve cabs in other cities across the country over the coming months.

Name:  Eve1.jpg
Views: 3643
Size:  29.0 KB

Meru Eve: Pink taxis for women launched in Delhi-eve2.jpg</a><br /> <br />
Source: <a rel=WSJ

Last edited by Aditya : 20th January 2015 at 11:20.
Aditya is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 11:52   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,041
Thanked: 2,086 Times
Question re: Meru Eve: Pink taxis for women launched in Delhi

Good initiative by Meru considering the present situation of emphasis on women safety. Had seen the launch clips on a news channel few days back. The cars are mostly Maruti Suzuki Ritz which is fairly comfortable for the women drivers. Are these services priced different from the normal Meru service?
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 12:14   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 3,067
Thanked: 6,224 Times
Default re: Meru Eve: Pink taxis for women launched in Delhi

Good initiative. Little sad as well that such an initiative is necessary.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 13:31   #4
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 861
Thanked: 350 Times
Default re: Meru Eve: Pink taxis for women launched in Delhi

Good idea, hope it comes up in all major cities. Provides double benefit - safety to women on one hand, and also breaking the stereotype that majority of drivers should be women. Hope to see women employed more currently male-dominated occupations, at the same time helping provide safety for other women.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 13:52   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 72
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

It is a great initiative considering the situation in our country but I feel sad that we have come to this situation that the male fraternity can't be trusted.
bhaskar.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 14:30   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 183
Thanked: 132 Times
Default re: Meru Eve: Pink taxis for women launched in Delhi

Cab companies are expected to make such noises and to be seen doing the right things by the regulators and police. Further, I dont see any strong business reason in doing this (unless they charge at least 30% higher rates) for two reasons:

1) cabs are too few (20?) to be available at a short notice in NCR for women. No woman driver currently in Dwarka will ever drive to Rlw station to fetch a lady passenger.

2) It may not be profitable for for Eve cabs to ferry only lady passengers. As a gentleman i will be wary of being seen inside anything 'pink'. Again, even if they ferry men, there is a big risk of these women drivers becoming easy targets for unruly youth from hinterlands of NCR

If they charge more, this will amount to gender based discrimination. Personally i think it is a bit of a joke - we can get away by running such campaigns in our country with companies trying to sell fear. I will only wait and watch the adoption trends over next six months.

Last edited by bhaskaracs : 20th January 2015 at 14:36.
bhaskaracs is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 15:24   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,480
Thanked: 3,624 Times
Default Re: Meru Eve: Pink taxis for women launched in Delhi

This idea is definitely flawed. Even I am left wondering with the same questions as raised above. The biggest problem is that women passengers are not the only ones that are at risk. Even these women drivers will be at grave risks. Who will ensure there safety?
drmohitg is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 15:47   #8
BHPian
 
SchumiFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 859
Thanked: 703 Times
Default Re: Meru Eve: Pink taxis for women launched in Delhi

I am not aware of how Meru does its operation, but if it can be hailed only by an app, what's the need to paint it pink? Also how do they ensure that only a women books this cab?

Being very different from the regular cabs it can be easily targetted by miscreants and may end up harming the drivers themselves.

The use of panic buttons and pepper sprays is a good option. 20 is a small number but if the patronage is there, maybe the number will increase in the future.

I remember seeing 'Ladies Special' buses back in Chennai a few years before. Wonder what happened to those. At least 'Ladies only' coaches are still there in the suburban trains.
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 16:16   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 717
Thanked: 726 Times
Default Re: Meru Eve: Pink taxis for women launched in Delhi

Might as well tie a big floating balloon pointer with the caption "Marginally prepared women inside. Approach with extra care". Pepper spray.. Really?

So, the solution in our country to anything seems only

a) ban the living daylights out of it or
b) seclude it as it's own entity

I just hope this trend succeeds big time as anything that's smaller in scale will either implode or be a terribly attractive target.

Instead of the government increasing steps to build a secure nation with appropriate policing and technology aids, it has quietly passed the buck on to the cab operators. Who in turn, reach out to PR agencies and ask "how do I look good when I am not following the right process?". And this is the answer.

The icing on the cake is the assumption that women drivers are harmless or less harmful than men drivers. Ok then.
Mad Max is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 16:18   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,041
Thanked: 2,086 Times
Red face Re: Meru Eve: Pink taxis for women launched in Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
This idea is definitely flawed. Even I am left wondering with the same questions as raised above. The biggest problem is that women passengers are not the only ones that are at risk. Even these women drivers will be at grave risks. Who will ensure there safety?
Why is it flawed?
Also the initiative is started for addressing the needs to woman passengers who are at risk from their safety point. This initiative is not IMO for male passengers opting for the service, for them regular Meru is available.

Reg your question of the women driver's safety, picking from first post.
Quote:
Additionally, their drivers have been given defence training by the Delhi police, to protect themselves and their passengers
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 16:50   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
puchoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Delhi / Shimla
Posts: 1,433
Thanked: 750 Times
Default Re: Meru Eve: Pink taxis for women launched in Delhi

Good initiative provided they are willing to invest and scale up on it quickly. Very smart from a business perspective also with respect to riding the wave of fear and apprehension and capitalizing on the huge number of Uber customers who would need to go back to using the other brands.

20 vehicles will get devoured by the number of requests which would be coming in and while it is ,like i said a good initiative, it can only really become really serious and make a difference as the fleet size increases - maybe for Meru the problem is not so much in increasing the fleet size but finding enough women drivers to go along with it , at any rate , in either case they will need to increase coverage.
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 17:10   #12
BHPian
 
Marauder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 196
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: Meru Eve: Pink taxis for women launched in Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Might as well tie a big floating balloon pointer with the caption "Marginally prepared women inside. Approach with extra care". Pepper spray.. Really?

So, the solution in our country to anything seems only

a) ban the living daylights out of it or
b) seclude it as it's own entity

I just hope this trend succeeds big time as anything that's smaller in scale will either implode or be a terribly attractive target.

Instead of the government increasing steps to build a secure nation with appropriate policing and technology aids, it has quietly passed the buck on to the cab operators. Who in turn, reach out to PR agencies and ask "how do I look good when I am not following the right process?". And this is the answer.

The icing on the cake is the assumption that women drivers are harmless or less harmful than men drivers. Ok then.
Completely

Instead of ensuring that they do not employ rapists and other criminals, these cab operators are trying to gain publicity by introducing these retrograde initiatives. If they want to employ more women drivers, they can do it in the regular service by giving them necessary safety equipment and training.

IIRC, there were pink autos introduced in Gurgaon with similar provisions and they were targeted by the criminals.

Some time back, I also saw a news item about a "Women-only post office". Absolutely ridiculous, are we going to see a women-only city next?
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 17:30   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,480
Thanked: 3,624 Times
Default Re: Meru Eve: Pink taxis for women launched in Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Why is it flawed?
Also the initiative is started for addressing the needs to woman passengers who are at risk from their safety point. This initiative is not IMO for male passengers opting for the service, for them regular Meru is available.

Reg your question of the women driver's safety, picking from first post.
Flawed only with respect to the safety of the women drivers specially when they are travelling through peripheral regions of NCR where the chances of these crimes are more. 3 day session of self training sounds like a joke to me. Honestly what sort of self training will they be able to learn in 3 days against seasoned criminals like the one involved in Uber case.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 17:35   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default Re: Meru Eve: Pink taxis for women launched in Delhi

Will there be enough patronage, if they can be hailed by women alone? Are men permited to hail these cabs?

What next, exclusive offices for women?
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 17:47   #15
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,192
Thanked: 4,247 Times
Default Re: Meru Eve: Pink taxis for women launched in Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Completely
Instead of ensuring that they do not employ rapists and other criminals, these cab operators are trying to gain publicity by introducing these retrograde initiatives. If they want to employ more women drivers, they can do it in the regular service by giving them necessary safety equipment and training.
IIRC, there were pink autos introduced in Gurgaon with similar provisions and they were targeted by the criminals.
Some time back, I also saw a news item about a "Women-only post office". Absolutely ridiculous, are we going to see a women-only city next?
In Ranchi, there are pink-autos, run by women for women. They are mostly shared autos plying on few routes. I don't know if this is right or wrong but this segregation of gender is not the way forward for a society like ours which boasts of gender equality. In a way, also gives clue to the fact that the law & order system is proving ineffective to tackle the eve-teasing and other such crimes directed towards the female of our species. So, rather than tackling the law & order situation, we give up the effort to improve and create separate facilities for women. Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Some time back, I also saw a news item about a "Women-only post office". Absolutely ridiculous, are we going to see a women-only city next?
I would like to bring the Bhartiya Mahila Bank to your notice
saket77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Meru Plus launched : A premium multi-point rental car service GTO The Indian Car Scene 50 6th April 2013 21:45
Pink Floyd co-founder Richard Wright no more kvish Shifting gears 7 16th September 2008 20:18
Help my computer screen goes pink intermittently rahul_intlad Gadgets, Computers & Software 17 17th July 2007 14:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks