Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2015, 12:37   #31
BHPian

Default re: The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
A little birdie tells us that the Mahindra Quanto might be called the Canto. We already know that the Quanto facelift has been codenamed U215 by the company. A search on import / export website zauba.com reveals that it has imported bumpers for a vehicle called the Canto U215 from South Korea.

Mahindra's subsidiary, SsangYong is based in South Korea. It is clear that most samples and moulds are created there and brought to India.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Attachment 1373731
Must be a case of the Koreans not being able to understand/pronounce the name. The spelling mistake must be a result of the same. Quanto is a tongue twister name for the best of us.
nik_kapur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 12:48   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
Spotted 2 camouflaged Quantos riding along with 2 regular Quantos in Kancheepuram - Chengulpet road (near Chennai for ones who dont recognize town names!), couple of weeks ago. Couldn't take photos as I was driving with family. For the state of the road, the ride looked very stable.

Interestingly, found that drivers swapping vehicles at some stopover as well(may be to normalize specific driver effects?).
The photos with the camo are the best the Quanto has ever looked! My suggestion to Mahindra is - keep it on even in the showroom when you sell it to customers
mayjay is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 00:34   #33
BHPian

Quote:
A little birdie tells us that the Mahindra Quanto might be called the Canto.
Wow..Finally they found out the real reason for quanto's poor sales!
I am sure "Canto" will become the segment leader as soon as it is launched.

As we all know, only that name was preventing this "gorgeous looking world class product" from becoming the top seller.

I think they have included a numerologist in their R&D team now.He should have suggested to replace Quanto's Q with C to attain success.

Next in line should be the Vibe facelift I suppose. May be something like "Wibe" or "Wybe"?

I just don't get why companies like Tata and Mahindra keep on flogging ugly dead horses like these.Tata still can't accept that Nano has not even reached a quarter of what they expected to sell by now, and still they refuse to scrap the project. Atleast they can go the Mahindra way by changing the Nano name thereby shedding the associated image of a "Cheap car" which is one of the main reasons why it doesn't sell well. Tata Pixel- how beautiful it sounds!

Similarly, Mahindra still tries to go ahead with flop products like Quantos and Vibes. Slightly off-topic, but a similar case in point is Nissan Evalia. Failed right from day one itself.Still carrying on with facelifts every year. May be these companies just want to carry on with these products until they break-even? So that atleast the R&D costs are recovered? But if that is the case, how long they will have to wait with such utterly poor performing products?
VinodDevil81 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 01:24   #34
BHPian

This double decker on wheels is not going to be a hit no matter how many facelifts are given. The proportions are odd, the ride is super bouncy, rolls like a leaning tower of Pisa and kerb weight is a bit too much for a vehicle in it's class. What Mahindra needs to realize and accept is that this product is a dead end and concentrate on the other compact SUV's they are working on.
needforspeed88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 07:59   #35
BHPian

Default Rumour: Mahindra working on refreshed Quanto

Call it Quanto, Canto or Bingo or any other name ending with letter 'O' as it is the case with vehicles from Mahindra.

Unless the odd proportions and body roll are not shed off and cohesive deign is brought into the market, it will hardly set sales on fire ever.

Moreover after deregulation of fuel prices, the end of disparity in market on owning an oil burner rather than a gasoline spirited car too makes one more skeptical of its success.
Old 26th May 2015, 11:13   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thank you to the Team-BHP fan who sent this information to us (he prefers to remain anonymous). Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!

Quote:
I was invited to the Car-Clinic of an undisclosed model in the 'Urban SUV segment'.

The moment I entered the place, I came across a container with a Hyundai Logo on it, which conveyed that it might be the ix25. But as I got to the parking lot, I saw a camouflaged car which looked like the Quanto. I clicked the attached pics.

I headed to the display area which had an Ertiga, EcoSport, refreshed Quanto and Duster parked. We were asked to rate all these cars on their exteriors and interiors.

The Quanto on display was in Maroon with black cladding. The scheme suited the car. The front is entirely redesigned and looks good. The side profile is largely the same, and the rear has slight changes like a black spoiler and (maybe) the tail-lamps had clear glass, giving a bare silver look with coloured lamps.

DRLs - They rest above the headlamps as a separate assembly. Adds to the style factor.

The car comes with 'Cruise Control' which was surprising, considering it is still a premium feature in India. The car also had two side seats in the boot (as the Quanto always did).

Considering the placement of the front armrests and seatbelt lever, they overlap each other and it is difficult to insert or remove the belt with the armrest down. The armrest is regulated by a lever and isn't free moving. Both front seats get this armrest.

The A/C louvre design is typical Mahindra and the sunglass holder is really big and flimsy. The audio system is somewhat like the VWs, simple cluster of buttons which looks good, even though the world has moved to touchscreens.

Road Test:

We took the car on the main road where it was judged on braking, acceleration, manoeuvring, parking and reversing.

Every respondent was allotted an interviewer who accompanied us on the drive, along with a company driver. The NVH levels are really controlled. Brakes were disgusting and upon pressing the clutch, I always felt a vibration & sound (something to do with gears or springs?). I first took it to be the abuse which this car must have endured, but it had just clocked 370 kms.

The Quanto picks up really well and even at low speeds, I could accelerate easily in 3rd gear. High speed cornering is scary though.

While reversing the car, the steering got hard all of a sudden!

Visibility is good and so is the suspension. After the main road test, we took a rural type road and the Quanto went over every hump and pothole easily; the suspension did its job wonderfully.

Back on the main road, the company driver took over and I was on the rear seat. A/C effectiveness was an issue there (blower speed was set on 2 out of 4, plus Delhi summer is at its peak). The legroom was decent enough and the rear armrest was comfortable. The fan-regulator type A/C knobs are very outdated and the plastic quality at certain places isn't top notch.

The same roadtest was repeated with an EcoSport Titanium (O) Diesel Variant.

This trial titled 'Project Highway' was less time consuming since they didn't undertake all the detailed matrices. Test-driving a camouflaged mule was an experience in itself.
The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-1.jpg

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-2.jpg

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-3.jpg

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-4.jpg

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-5.jpg

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-6.jpg

Additional pics from earlier posts:

Last edited by GTO : 28th May 2015 at 09:26.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 12:03   #37
BHPian

Default The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto

I still feel the key should be new models or facelifts being launched at regular intervals and thus, the projects shall be distributed over the years rather than launching 9 models in one year and then sitting tight for next 3-4 years without any refreshments.

Hyundai and MSIL have been successful in launching refreshed or new models at regular intervals and every year to keep their dealership engaged with footfalls. It also keeps customer hooked to new offerings and also distribute the revenue and profits over the years as well as no or limited cannibalisation of company offerings by its own siblings.
utsav1303 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 12:22   #38
BHPian

Default Re: The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto

Looks like mini Fortuner(no offense) from front, Volvo from side, and Quanto from the rear. The bonnet looks like flat & raised with a much muscular stance. I fail to understand the reason behind those 205(now 215)/65 tyres! Quanto in South Africa is sold with 215/75 R15 tyres and looks much more proportional. I also fail to understand that why the AMT version was not included in the test drive?

In my opinion, It will fail again if not launched with AMT.
Old 26th May 2015, 12:32   #39
BHPian

Mahindra will be launching three new models, three major refreshes and three minor refreshes according to Pawan Goenka. XUV was a major refresh. Out of the three new models two will be compact SUVs and one will be a SAV-sports activity vehicle.
Old 26th May 2015, 13:07   #40
BHPian

I think Mahindra will not stop with the Quanto face lifts until they make it a success. Yes its USP is compact dimensions, spacious interiors and good engine. Good marketing can only boost its sales slightly but its odd looks is a big turn off and the competition from within the Mahindra stable is the major threat including the Bolero and upcoming compact SUVs. Like most of us here, I suggest Mahindra should stop making this Quanto and invest the R&D into the upcoming new products. Or launch one of the upcoming compact SUV or crossover as the new Quanto.
Old 26th May 2015, 14:02   #41

I have driven the current model of Quanto. The car is very crude when compared to its so called competition. The steering and clutch are hard, brakes are below par, extensive body roll, bad ergonomics, cheap plastics, etc. are a few things I could easily figure out.

Looking at the pictures and the narration provided, the new model seems to be only a cosmetic change with addition of some unwanted features (cruise control) in the segment.
tejas.negandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 14:07   #42
BHPian

Quote:
It is clear that most samples and moulds are created there and brought to India.
You are right.
One of my friends was telling me that: Korea and Taiwan are tops when it comes to prototype making, especially automotive.
Apparently, Korea can practically develop any auto related prototype, in less than half the time it takes to develop them in India! At a lesser price, better quality and in whatever volumes you require.
Old 26th May 2015, 14:35   #43
BHPian

Probably they can fool some of our gullible countrymen into buying this contraption by leaving the camo stickers on and probably have different colours of the same. As I said before, Mahindra does not know which direction to take or when to stop.
Old 26th May 2015, 15:21   #44
Senior - BHPian

What is the point of spending the time and money on refreshing the quanto? In the Indian context, once the initial model fails, no facelifts help revive it. I cannot recollect any model which changed its fortunes on a mere facelift, in the Indian market.

They would be better off spending the time and money on designing an all new compact SUV, instead of trying to revive a dud.

EDIT: Even the mighty Maruti could not revive the fortunes of the Estilo with the facelift.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 26th May 2015 at 15:37.
Old 26th May 2015, 15:24   #45
BHPian

The car still looks very disproportionate and reminds me of a Wagon R for some reason.

Looks will always give any car an advantage over the competition. Look at the first gen fluidic Verna, elite i20 or even the Civic. Their exterior definitely had a part to play in their success. In a battle of heart vs mind, it's the heart that usually wins.

And the Quanto doesn't really appeal to the mind either. From what others have written, the car has several quality, ride and handling issues.

Oh, and that name, Canto! Mahindra should call it 'potato' as it goes with their naming strategy and well, it looks like one!
SS8939 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread