Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2015, 14:59   #1
Team-BHP Support

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto

The Mahindra Quanto has not been a strong seller. The company manages to move roughly 150 units a month on an average - way less than products like the Bolero, Scorpio and XUV500. In an attempt to push its sales, Mahindra is rumoured to be working on a refreshed version of the compact MPV.

The Quanto's appearance is one of its weak points. Mahindra will try to make the car look more palatable, with restyled headlamps, grille and bumpers. The design of the Quanto's alloy wheels is also likely to be changed.

On the inside, the Quanto is expected to get a new beige-themed dashboard and steering wheel and new seats with better cushioning and lumbar support. The car is also likely to get a new audio system with Bluetooth connectivity and voice command recognition.

Like the updated Xylo, the Quanto will receive a reworked suspension with extra bushes and rear stability bar. The car will continue to use the 1.5-litre, three-cylinder diesel engine and 5-speed gearbox from the current model.

An AMT-equipped version of the Quanto is expected later this year.

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-quanto.jpg

Source: Autocar India

Last edited by Aditya : 20th January 2015 at 16:35.
Aditya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 15:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto

Several camouflaged test mules of Mahindra are spotted almost daily nowadays. And some are slated to fall below the 4 Mtrs norm. Then why the refurbishing of a non selling Quanto. Quanto and Xylo have the dubious distinction of posessing one of the worst grills; but many times better than that of its sibling Genio.

Last edited by rajeev k : 20th January 2015 at 15:20.
rajeev k is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 15:37   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rajeev hits an important point - the woefully ugly styling is one of the major reasons behind the Xylo & Quanto failures. Equally, the styling / image are big drivers of the Scorpio & XUV500 successes.

Whatever has been reported by Aditya is a classic case of 'too little too late'. Such small corrections aren't going to do anything to the Quanto's dismal market run.

Surprisingly, Mahindra has been raising the prices of its dud product. From the time of launch, the base variant has gone up by 50K on the road, and the top now costs 80K more.

Spacious, nice diesel engine, acceptable interior quality...but the horrible looks & bumpy ride quality keep people away.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 16:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

I don't think new grille or bumpers would be of much help. IMO, the grille looks OK. I think the face looks decent when viewed head-on. But turn the camera to any other angle, and you will get an ugly picture. For me, the biggest problem is the awkward side profile, about which Mahindra can't do much anyway.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 16:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The Quanto's appearance is one of its weak points.
Even if you discount the appearance, what makes me curious is whether this product has any other presently relevant USP?
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 17:35   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

After seeing what they did to a good looking Scorpio in the name of refresh, I dread to imagine how the Cartoonish Quanto is going to look!
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 17:43   #7
BHPian

Spotted 2 camouflaged Quantos riding along with 2 regular Quantos in Kancheepuram - Chengulpet road (near Chennai for ones who dont recognize town names!), couple of weeks ago. Couldn't take photos as I was driving with family. For the state of the road, the ride looked very stable.

Interestingly, found that drivers swapping vehicles at some stopover as well(may be to normalize specific driver effects?).
babu.sundaram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 21:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Even if you discount the appearance, what makes me curious is whether this product has any other presently relevant USP?
Space is good with better engine. But the old styled boxy design is a put off. I have driven in my friends Xylo for about 50 km and felt comfortable in the rear.

I think Mahindra has not tasted much success after XUV launch. Its passenger cars and Xylo/Quanto are sales dud.
Old 20th January 2015, 21:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshBabu View Post
Space is good with better engine. But the old styled boxy design is a put off. I have driven in my friends Xylo for about 50 km and felt comfortable in the rear.

I think Mahindra has not tasted much success after XUV launch. Its passenger cars and Xylo/Quanto are sales dud.
Xylo was launched before XUV.

Now, since your experience is with Xylo, let me assure you, Xylo is actually quite underrated. Xylo has quite a few things going for it. Infact, it makes better sense to buy a Xylo than a 2wd Scorpio. But the compact/tail-cut Xylo (Quanto) is a completely different game altogether. Its engine is quite unrefined and in the name of spaciousness all it has is width.
1100D is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 19:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

An Autocar reader clicked the Quanto facelift test mule in Nashik

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-qunto.jpg

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-quanto.jpg

Source: Autocar
S2!!! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 09:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
An Autocar reader clicked the Quanto facelift test mule in Nashik

Attachment 1338861

Attachment 1338862

Source: Autocar
Well, I was the 'Autocar reader' who gave the pics!! And I'd also got a good look at the interiors. But one thing. Can't tell for sure; but as far as I heard, the engine was surprisingly quiet for a 3-cylinder mahindra diesel! The driver didn't quite Rev it while i was tailing the car, but it never sounded particularly harsh or noisy.
mukul32 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 10:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure this nip-and-tuck job is going to affect their sales one single bit - as stated earlier in this thread, I concur with that opinion.

Compared to other competing 5+2 MPVs in the market today, the Quanto, with its mini-Xylo stance (the overall design, not just the details) and its not-so-considerable heft, make it singularly unappealing. The competition has far better design, more car-like to drive, and are simply so much more appealing.

M&M really ought to pull the plug on this product now. Wonder how much red ink they have already bled?
Old 12th February 2015, 19:39   #13

The quanto needs drastic re-styling. It is just too plain-jane to attract anybody. It is neither a proper hatchback nor a stylish compact SUV. Mahindra should perhaps bring a sub-compact SUV in the class of the Suzuki Jimny at a launch price of Rs. 4-5 lakhs. As 3-doors don't sell in India, they probably should launch in 5-door. Such a car may attract a large proportion of potential hatch-back buyers.
Old 12th February 2015, 20:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

What Indians would love is a Duster/Terrano or a little bigger Premier Rio type Mini SUV and Mahindra present them a Quanto.

In a country where looks matter to a large extent, along with something in this segment having a little style statement/rugged looks. Quanto does not fit either of those bills and its marketed at hatchback customers while it has none of the qualities of a hatchback. Nothing works for this car and Mahindra is beating around the wrong bush with their V2's.

The other day I was following a Premier Rio from Vashi to Ghatkopar and BY GOD if it was not made by Premier, had a light clutch and Duster type sorted handling (Of course I would have loved it if it was a little wider too) I would have loved to own that car. It combines everything in one neat package.
Old 13th February 2015, 10:24   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quanto's prime rival is the EcoSport, price wise. They both have certain advantages & disadvantages, over each other as well.

Now tell me, how many of you, would ignore an EcoSport and go ahead and buy a Quanto? As far as looks and appeal goes, the EcoSport blows away the Quanto. And this is where the Quanto's main trouble lies.

Xylo is not a very appealing product to look at, knowing this, they shouldn't have based a product on Xylo. Try to come up with a mini XUV (with good design, features & less quirky elements) at ~8L and you will have takers.

Prior to that, bid Quanto a farewell, let it RIP.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks